ELUA update 4/22/24

cr8tiv1

I realize this may not end up on the Princess Board for very long.  I know that Leialoha and Tiki Dave are too modest to toot their own horn.  But I wanted to make sure that everyone who cruises with Princess to Hawaii are aware of @Elua decision to retire as Hawaiian Cultural Ambassadors.

David, Leialoha, and CD David Cole gave birth to this program decades ago.  They developed and refined it to be the most excellent experience one could have on their way to and from Hawaii.  They brought with them their talents:  ukulele lessons, hula lessons, entertainment, port lectures, and their love for anything Hawaiiana.  They shared their program with Princess and it was expanded to include a few other couples. 

I have been on cruises with them.  And even though I am a Kama'aina, I still enjoyed what they brought to our sea days.  They will surely be missed.  It is hard to duplicate unique...and that is exactly what they are.  

I won't get into the details that were posted on their Social Network account.  I am sure they will miss visiting the islands and indulging in the foods that every port stop made (Hamura Saimin/Lilikoi Chiffon Pie, Liliha Bakery coco puffs, Highway Inn poi plate, etc).

They are a legend and leave a legacy for others to try to replicate.

A Hui Hou Malama Pono Leialoha and Tiki Dave.  May you continue to share your talents with a new and exciting group of admirers.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10

Posted (edited)

Thank you so much for sharing this. We were so fortunate to have done the LA to Hawaii cruise over the Christmas/New Year holidays for four years in a row when our kids were in middle school and high school. My parents had passed away in the previous couple of years, and for a few years, I just had a need to get away from home for the holidays with my little family and make some amazing memories. Those were some of our most memorable cruises, thanks in very large part to David Cole and Elua - Dave and Leialoha. Not only were the holiday activities magical, but the Hawaiian cultural program they brought to all of us made you feel the spirit of Aloha from the moment you stepped on board until the day you left - usually with a tear in your eye as you said goodbye. It was the reason we kept coming back year after year until I was finally ready to start celebrating holidays at home again.

I remember someone I worked with asking me why we would spend 10 days cruising just to have 4 or 5 days in Hawaii, and it was hard to make her understand that it felt like you were in Hawaii from the beginning to the end, thanks to their wonderful enrichment and entertainment. Those lovely days at sea always flew by and I remember each and every trip with them with tremendous fondness and gratitude. They will be so missed, but what a wonderful legacy they leave behind that hopefully Princess will strive to continue. 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 6

Our 2007 Christmas/New Year Family reunion Voyage on the Diamond Princess

with Eula and Staff Captain Michele Tuvo

was so very special!
Aloha

and 

Mahalo Dave and Leialoha!

• Like 2

Thank you for posting!  This is so sad that we won’t see them again on our cruises to Hawaii and the South Pacific cruises, but so great for them to retire!

We just loved them and their warm Hawaiian grace.  They taught us so much!

Aloha and much love to you both on your next chapter of life.

Mahalo🌺

Until we meet again.

• Like 1

I am so happy you are all posting warm and sincere memories of ELUA.  I forgot to add that they exemplified A-L-O-H-A.  Always kind and welcoming.  Two absolutely wonderful people's people.

• Like 3

I am so grateful that we got to sail with Dave,  Leialoha, and CD David Cole years ago!

We have done 4 or 5 LA- Hawaii and LA-Tahiti cruises since with other Hawaiian Ambassadors who were nice but none compared to that trio!

I'm so sorry to hear they will no longer be on Princess. It's a big loss!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For those who never had the opportunity to sail with ELUA, here’s a video I put together after our last (and now final) cruise with Dave and Leialoha.  Taken in the Summer of 2023

Edited by mikjr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Mahalo @mikjr for the video...missing a video of Leialoha and her graceful hulas.  

I might have one of those also…. Maybe ELUA part 2 is needed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1