HAL newbie, Zaandam or Koningsdam for 2025 Alaska cruise?

Tom47

Hi

We have never cruised on HAL and are planning on booking a 2025 Alaska cruise/land tour with Denali and Yukon.  I have identified 2 ships, Zaandam(older and smaller) and  Koningsdam(newer and bigger).  I have read some posts on this board that the Lido on current Koningsdam  cruises is crowded and understaffed.  Is this true across the board on all HAL ships?  Any thoughts pro or con?

Thanks

Tom

Have sailed both...just did 14 days on Zaandam. Nothing wrong with either. I would however, take Koningsdam, as it has more entertainment and dining venues.

I take understaffing comments with a truckload of salt. People blame everything on understaffing. Conversely, after 14 days on Zaandam that was totally jammed to the gills (Eclipse cruise), I never felt there was any shortage of staff, in any way, at any time.

• Like 1

I would pick the Koningsdam because it has verandah cabins.  We use our balcony frequently, particular when viewing nature.  The Zaadam has no standard balcony cabins, only suites.

You are looking at the smallest vs the largest class of ships in the fleet. 
For Alaska, I would pick the smaller of the two. The Zaandam can fit into the docks, especially the docks closer in to the towns visited. 
There is plenty of viewing area along the Lower Promenade Deck, with comfortable seating available. This deck is somewhat covered by the lifeboats overhead, which can be important in inclement weather. 
The passenger load doesn't overwhelm the small towns, either, like the Koningsdam would. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have sailed both...just did 14 days on Zaandam. Nothing wrong with either. I would however, take Koningsdam, as it has more entertainment and dining venues.

I take understaffing comments with a truckload of salt. People blame everything on understaffing. Conversely, after 14 days on Zaandam that was totally jammed to the gills (Eclipse cruise), I never felt there was any shortage of staff, in any way, at any time.

Thanks

Edited by Tom47

28 minutes ago, RuthC said:

You are looking at the smallest vs the largest class of ships in the fleet. 
For Alaska, I would pick the smaller of the two. The Zaandam can fit into the docks, especially the docks closer in to the towns visited. 
There is plenty of viewing area along the Lower Promenade Deck, with comfortable seating available. This deck is somewhat covered by the lifeboats overhead, which can be important in inclement weather. 
The passenger load doesn't overwhelm the small towns, either, like the Koningsdam would. 

Thanks

54 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I would pick the Koningsdam because it has verandah cabins.  We use our balcony frequently, particular when viewing nature.  The Zaadam has no standard balcony cabins, only suites.

Thanks

Having sailed on both an older ship and the newest, we prefer the newest. But that is just us! Everyone has a different opinion. We noticed a difference even in the food on the newer ship; better. And we never felt crowded.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom47 said:

I have read some posts on this board that the Lido on current Koningsdam  cruises is crowded and understaffed.

We sailed a B2B on the K'dam over New Years 2022-23. It was the MDR that was crowded! We ate all meals in the Lido (saving several specialty restaurant dinners), always able to find seats and mostly with lots of space between other diners (we were avoiding contagion even then). There were no circulating alcoholic beverage servers, but there was a small bar on each side of the ship where you could fetch your own. Stewards with pitchers did refill water/lemonade/iced tea. We also like the Tamarind upcharge restaurant, which is not on the Zaandam.

OTOH we sailed the Zaandam on a 14-day Alaska cruise, and it was just perfect for that. The Oceanviews on the Lower Promenade are just steps from the largest balcony on the ship -- the true promenade! Just be sure not to book under the MDR galley on Deck 4 as they cook all night!

5 hours ago, crystalspin said:

We sailed a B2B on the K'dam over New Years 2022-23. It was the MDR that was crowded! We ate all meals in the Lido (saving several specialty restaurant dinners), always able to find seats and mostly with lots of space between other diners (we were avoiding contagion even then). There were no circulating alcoholic beverage servers, but there was a small bar on each side of the ship where you could fetch your own. Stewards with pitchers did refill water/lemonade/iced tea. We also like the Tamarind upcharge restaurant, which is not on the Zaandam.

OTOH we sailed the Zaandam on a 14-day Alaska cruise, and it was just perfect for that. The Oceanviews on the Lower Promenade are just steps from the largest balcony on the ship -- the true promenade! Just be sure not to book under the MDR galley on Deck 4 as they cook all night!

Thanks Crystal and YW

Both ships are great for very different reasons.  

If you want newer with lots of entertainment venues and are okay with more people - the Kdam is a good choice.

While the Z-dam is older, and shows its age in some spots, its still very well taken care of.  She definitely is representative of a different era of cruising - one with wide promenade decks, lots of outdoor viewing, and a large yacht feel.  

In Alaska, I personally really enjoyed when we sailed on the ms Amsterdam, which is a very near sister to the Zaandam.  We were fortunate and got a random 7 day voyage in mid summer when she was mainly only doing 14 day Alaska voyages.  We all had a great time - there are so many more places to see the scenery and just embrace the environment that Alaska offers.  If that sort of a trip entices you, then the Z-dam is your ship.  I recall we only had 1 line the entire time we were on board, that was to get off the ship in Juneau as we had just docked.  It cleared in less than 5 minutes.

I still remember sitting on the aft decks of the Amsterdam with a bottle of wine reading some Jack London stories as we sailed through the Lynn canal. I still keep this phot as the background on my phone because its calming for me - wide open promenades with plenty of loungers and beautiful scenery.  You will have plenty of spots like this on both ships, but more of then on the Z-dam, and fewer people also.

AP1GczM2yV30Wky_WBgrEE70YShaJY7g4vzBTGIFuOy5tqIV_sZLyWd1ALbbG-6iNPJvEF1LX5idQZWQToj282ustuQX4zmhG4aYuZJd5zuJduwgPUFVN0AGaMbPfWAmoi5WP6bWihpYp1BgdWzBXolARwte2mQmzH_8jE_4QQH5-FYNqDbr-fOxNkuUhtpzZAIHsSWZyoXDZNJLZTxAugULsCo1vFa84qaRHj3KSwNNwSAgFsqPakT3r307lKFoacuX8YhmT-BOFCjm_bW213grI74V2fJiDqBMYgfFAkll9LplJFxdbJDz9mz3E_IFjACSgM2shdbkOx8Dw5Lvi1Wz7_nDdSYC608iI5Pk6nhblTJJoki7751bNTClBu4aGzvsJ4zR8U5ioQURZSEL01fGSyx5qawUlN4eejWNmP3rBAfchfNDyaaa7cuEbYnGsHkfgFAsCXvW3tJs2XtN0v3EZDJvnISd6QQL4U9jm-n1WvYZ8-CkgwWQ7d0hd4Phi8Wyv9VgxYKEBHk-i7N0uT5FfAwUMFb8kp76jFTP7zXLNSLgT3Gz2oy7ydOZd1KumbCpGW4sLuC3WW3ublKD-N-VOm2Kyr20SDtYB9P_NIBRUH6cmgaRVY9AKTLcnG8sprvUpcL6OGK2Q1Mg4UrYdL1I5YeB2bJjJ29r0MknlVi5E6jh10aj5KwNsXFRT58yLaCU1CK76Au8wr-QNXo7ZDRdwMkwSPtPXM6T7chj0dM4ZH8-WQQE-cO4cZ2Y-4ZXs1usaI7zUVYJvNW0VUN4YZ_njMnNxpW8P5TSomJ0-Ey2Qr7m_N3tgLojvQk1x3PmNfGhc36A23ifj9zPAJHsAxF9ch99W_MdJMu_NW7PXEyKrGBfnihaXBnuk0HIh-j6lNHhZg9SxQw1JnWCDUqlikNSG-vrLhOGXJ2V7bBzOuOm-lddsQbd69db8ugXfj221Vq9OCXUexzstpCJB3y-NmC7k3BIrp6FsSnoPIm5gT_1FWUhNXiQ_YltU4u8b1VNYQroj8tNkQnfbtl2CIzwbApCZXHpJkql3mnlJqwK4TeZEtt20uhCtCifoP6lE91McuCWliX7Lok=w1215-h911-s-no-gm?authuser=0

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for comments.  We have booked a midship veranda cabin on a Y4L cruise tour, Aug 25, 2025 on Konigsdam.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

If you want newer with lots of entertainment venues and are okay with more people - the Kdam is a good choice.

While the Z-dam is older, and shows its age in some spots, its still very well taken care of.  She definitely is representative of a different era of cruising - one with wide promenade decks, lots of outdoor viewing, and a large yacht feel.  

In Alaska, I personally really enjoyed when we sailed on the ms Amsterdam, which is a very near sister to the Zaandam.  We were fortunate and got a random 7 day voyage in mid summer when she was mainly only doing 14 day Alaska voyages.  We all had a great time - there are so many more places to see the scenery and just embrace the environment that Alaska offers.  If that sort of a trip entices you, then the Z-dam is your ship.  I recall we only had 1 line the entire time we were on board, that was to get off the ship in Juneau as we had just docked.  It cleared in less than 5 minutes.

I still remember sitting on the aft decks of the Amsterdam with a bottle of wine reading some Jack London stories as we sailed through the Lynn canal. I still keep this phot as the background on my phone because its calming for me - wide open promenades with plenty of loungers and beautiful scenery.  You will have plenty of spots like this on both ships, but more of then on the Z-dam, and fewer people also.

AP1GczM2yV30Wky_WBgrEE70YShaJY7g4vzBTGIFuOy5tqIV_sZLyWd1ALbbG-6iNPJvEF1LX5idQZWQToj282ustuQX4zmhG4aYuZJd5zuJduwgPUFVN0AGaMbPfWAmoi5WP6bWihpYp1BgdWzBXolARwte2mQmzH_8jE_4QQH5-FYNqDbr-fOxNkuUhtpzZAIHsSWZyoXDZNJLZTxAugULsCo1vFa84qaRHj3KSwNNwSAgFsqPakT3r307lKFoacuX8YhmT-BOFCjm_bW213grI74V2fJiDqBMYgfFAkll9LplJFxdbJDz9mz3E_IFjACSgM2shdbkOx8Dw5Lvi1Wz7_nDdSYC608iI5Pk6nhblTJJoki7751bNTClBu4aGzvsJ4zR8U5ioQURZSEL01fGSyx5qawUlN4eejWNmP3rBAfchfNDyaaa7cuEbYnGsHkfgFAsCXvW3tJs2XtN0v3EZDJvnISd6QQL4U9jm-n1WvYZ8-CkgwWQ7d0hd4Phi8Wyv9VgxYKEBHk-i7N0uT5FfAwUMFb8kp76jFTP7zXLNSLgT3Gz2oy7ydOZd1KumbCpGW4sLuC3WW3ublKD-N-VOm2Kyr20SDtYB9P_NIBRUH6cmgaRVY9AKTLcnG8sprvUpcL6OGK2Q1Mg4UrYdL1I5YeB2bJjJ29r0MknlVi5E6jh10aj5KwNsXFRT58yLaCU1CK76Au8wr-QNXo7ZDRdwMkwSPtPXM6T7chj0dM4ZH8-WQQE-cO4cZ2Y-4ZXs1usaI7zUVYJvNW0VUN4YZ_njMnNxpW8P5TSomJ0-Ey2Qr7m_N3tgLojvQk1x3PmNfGhc36A23ifj9zPAJHsAxF9ch99W_MdJMu_NW7PXEyKrGBfnihaXBnuk0HIh-j6lNHhZg9SxQw1JnWCDUqlikNSG-vrLhOGXJ2V7bBzOuOm-lddsQbd69db8ugXfj221Vq9OCXUexzstpCJB3y-NmC7k3BIrp6FsSnoPIm5gT_1FWUhNXiQ_YltU4u8b1VNYQroj8tNkQnfbtl2CIzwbApCZXHpJkql3mnlJqwK4TeZEtt20uhCtCifoP6lE91McuCWliX7Lok=w1215-h911-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Your pictures did not load--only a blank screen.  Thanks for your thoughts.

10 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Your pictures did not load--only a blank screen.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2024 at 6:57 PM, 0106 said:

I realize it's been a while since we have cruised with HAL. But the last time we were on the Zaandam in 2018 in one of their Vista Suites, they were basically just regular verandas located on decks 6 or 7, other than you get double Loyalty cruise day points. Has something changed?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

46 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

But the last time we were on the Zaandam in 2018 in one of their Vista Suites, they were basically just regular verandas located on decks 6 or 7, other than you get double Loyalty cruise day points. Has something changed?

The difference is the only way to get a balcony on the Zaandam is to book a Vista suite which is more expensive than a verandah cabin on the Koningsdam. 

Comparing two 7 day Inside Passage cruises from Vancouver:

Koningsdam 6/28/25 verandah $1719

Zaandam 6/25/25 Vista suite $2329

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, 0106 said:

The difference is the only way to get a balcony on the Zaandam is to book a Vista suite which is more expensive than a verandah cabin on the Koningsdam. 

Comparing two 7 day Inside Passage cruises from Vancouver:

Koningsdam 6/28/25 verandah $1719

Zaandam 6/25/25 Vista suite $2329

Thanks. On the Koningsdam, there appears to be both Vista Suites and smaller veranda cabins, with the VS being sold at the same price as the VS on the Zaandam cruise.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

But the last time we were on the Zaandam in 2018 in one of their Vista Suites, they were basically just regular verandas located on decks 6 or 7, other than you get double Loyalty cruise day points

You don't get other "suite perks" in a Vista Suite* on either Z'dam or K'dam, just more room and on the Zaandam MUCH more storage. And the double Mariner points if booked at published rate (not an upsell or upgrade). But they are lovely cabins.

* This is also true of the Signature Suites.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

You don't get other "suite perks" in a Vista Suite* on either Z'dam or K'dam, just more room and on the Zaandam MUCH more storage. And the double Mariner points if booked at published rate (not an upsell or upgrade). But they are lovely cabins.

* This is also true of the Signature Suites.

We definitely enjoyed getting those double Mariner points when we would book a VS on the smaller HAL ships like the Zaandam, which definitely helped to get us to 4-star quicker. That and booking HAL excursions! But then we do like the option of having free laundry when we're on one of their longer cruises! 😉

• Like 1

I have joined the  Mariner program.  I rec'd an email urging me to install HAL app on my phone.  But a notice popped up:  "This device is not compatible with the app."   I have an android phone and it accepted RCI and Celebrity apps.  Any suggestions?

8 hours ago, Tom47 said:

I have joined the  Mariner program.  I rec'd an email urging me to install HAL app on my phone.  But a notice popped up:  "This device is not compatible with the app."   I have an android phone and it accepted RCI and Celebrity apps.  Any suggestions?

I think your options are either upgrade to a newer phone or do without the app. If you have a tablet that might be compatible (depending how old the tablet is). Once onboard you can see  your account, menus, etc via the tv in your stateroom, and you'll receive a paper copy of the daily activities. Having the app on your phone isn't "necessary" but in my opinion improves the cruise experience in terms of being able to check many things right from your phone.

Sue/WDW1972

2 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

I think your options are either upgrade to a newer phone or do without the app. If you have a tablet that might be compatible (depending how old the tablet is). Once onboard you can see  your account, menus, etc via the tv in your stateroom, and you'll receive a paper copy of the daily activities. Having the app on your phone isn't "necessary" but in my opinion improves the cruise experience in terms of being able to check many things right from your phone.

Sue/WDW1972

Thanks Sue