Bring ng ing wine on board

Scotmay

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Scotmay said:

Can we bring wine on board, other than the two allowed, pay the $15?dollars corkage and drink anywhere on board including dining room!

Yes, but have heard corkage fee has increased? IIRC correctly to $20, Princess website should have updated amount.

Edited by wallyj
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Wallyj is correct as far as I remember also, I think it's either $20-$25 per bottle now. Just looked it up on Princess website. It is $20 per bottle and it has been updated on website.

Edited by Moondogy
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Scotmay said:

Can we bring wine on board, other than the two allowed, pay the $15?dollars corkage and drink anywhere on board including dining room!

If you are asking can you bring more than 2 bottles on board at boarding - no.

Go to the Princess website where the details are fully outlined.

I believe if you have a package, the corkage fee is waived.  We have brought a bottle of wine on board at different ports.  We have never been questioned.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Scotmay said:

Yes you can bring extra bottles of wine, in addition to the 1 bottle per person allowed.  It is a corkage fee of $20 per bottle. They will put a sticker on the bottles that you’ve paid the corkage fee, and then you may take it to the MDR.  

Many times they do not charge the corkage fee, if the table is not set up in the terminal when you board.  In that case, drink them in your cabin, or pay the corkage fee when you go into the MDR without a sticker.

Here’s the paragraph from the website about bring extra wine.

image.thumb.jpeg.fdc7a55635e1d5900a2d724d086a672b.jpeg

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You are incorrect 

The website is very clear it's ONE bottle per passenger corkage free (not two) and any additional bottles at $20 corkage.... Maybe go to the website yourself and read up...

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Incorrect.  Guest may bring on much much more than 2 bottles (IDK if anyone knows what the practical limit would be).  All bottles >1 per guest are subject to a corkage fee of $20/btl. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

I believe if you have a package, the corkage fee is waived.  We have brought a bottle of wine on board at different ports.  We have never been questioned.

Nothing to do with the packages.  Also, neither package has a corkage fee waiver benefit.  It is true that bringing a bottle or two of wine back to ship from a port will rarely garner any attention at all and guest can simply proceed with it to their cabin.

That said, bringing said unopened bottle to dinner can result in being assessed a corkage fee.

• Like 2

Note that I used words like "can result" and "subject to".  A guest won't necessarily always be charged, but neither should guest be surprised nor object to a charge if it happens.  Checking in early at the terminal will often mean the wine table is not setup to process excess bottles.  Although an unmarked bottle can be charged in the DR by your waiter, they might not do so every time.  Guest is charged at the time of opening bottle in DR, SD locale, or bar.  Guest is not charged if later bringing same open bottle to dinner next night or to another location.

• Like 3

I was aware that it was 1 bottle per guest at embarkation, but thought if you bring on any more at port stops, you would have to drink in your cabin. 
Thank you all!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scotmay said:

I was aware that it was 1 bottle per guest at embarkation, but thought if you bring on any more at port stops, you would have to drink in your cabin. 
Thank you all!  

If you are able to bring on wine at port stops, which happens a lot, and you bring that bottle to any public area such as a DR you will be charged corkage. You don't have to keep it in your cabin. 

• Like 1

Reminds me of two ladies cruising together who were both oenophiles, with enviable wine cellars at home. They brought with them several well-chosen bottles of rare and expensive wines, specifically to enjoy with their evening meals on board. Given the original price of each bottle, they were not the slightest bit concerned about having to add another $20 corkage fee to its cost.

And, no, I didn't partake, unfortunately!

• Like 2

We were on Enchanted Princess from March 7-27, 2024.  We brought 6 bottles of wine on board.  2 for our stateroom and 1 for each formal night.  The sommelier decanted the wine each formal night and only charged a corkage fee of $15 two nights.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EMS8 said:

We were on Enchanted Princess from March 7-27, 2024.  We brought 6 bottles of wine on board.  2 for our stateroom and 1 for each formal night.  The sommelier decanted the wine each formal night and only charged a corkage fee of $15 two nights.   

Simple mistake. I hope you didn't complain. 😄

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Canuker said:

Reminds me of two ladies cruising together who were both oenophiles, with enviable wine cellars at home. They brought with them several well-chosen bottles of rare and expensive wines, specifically to enjoy with their evening meals on board. Given the original price of each bottle, they were not the slightest bit concerned about having to add another $20 corkage fee to its cost.

And, no, I didn't partake, unfortunately!

I used to bring some better wines as part of my inventory, but soon stopped when I realized the food was not quite up to the wine and now I just go for good value wine that may end up costing close to the lower prices on the menu, but is far better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I used to bring some better wines as part of my inventory, but soon stopped when I realized the food was not quite up to the wine and now I just go for good value wine that may end up costing close to the lower prices on the menu, but is far better.

@Steelers36, I have heard the rationale that Princess shipboard meals do not merit pairing with what might be high quality wine from my collection.  Let me explain why I will continue to bring my own wine.

We drink wine, every night.  At home a few days ago we had leftover turkey sandwiches.  I opened a bottle of Quivet Cellars Syrah and Mrs. XBGuy opened a bottle of Rivers-Marie Chardonnay.  (Mrs. XBGuy is an "All Chardonnay, All the Time" person.)  We both enjoyed our wines and felt that we had a terrific dinner.  We don't eat sandwiches every night.  In fact the leftover turkey was from a breast we grilled in the back yard a few days earlier--very tasty, but, certainly nothing extravagant.  I had a Clarice Pinot Noir with that.  If my Princess meal is not particularly distinctive, then there is a good chance that a bottle of Mending Wall Cabernet Sauvignon can improve my appreciation.  (Yes, I know that I am in a California wine rut.  It's my rut, and I like it.}

The present Princess wine list is quite uninspiring.  It would not take very long to go through the handful of wines that I would like to try.  So, that seems to be another reason to bring my own.

I just celebrated my 76th birthday. and I have a pretty big inventory of wine.  The goal is to not leave wine for estate disposition.  I can't be taking off a week or two in which I am not reducing my inventory.  😂

On thing that I should add is that I live within easy driving distance of the port.  It is very easy to toss my wine tote into the car, drive to the port and drag it onto the ship.  I agree that transporting wine on a commercial airline is a royal pain.  So, I can certainly understand why having to fly to the port would discourage people from bringing their own wine.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

Wine skins easily protect up to 3 bottles in a 22" suitcase (yes I was prepared to pay corkage but they didn't ask)

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-14969/Food-Bags/WineSkin

Thank you.

I have read about wine skins, here on Cruise Critic.  I have another carrier that works fine for one or two bottles when packed in a suitcase with my clothing.  When going on a cruise, I am usually taking at least seven, or so, bottles.  So, I have a separate tote that works quite well.  

I think the Princess wine policy is terrific and the corkage fee is quite reasonable.  Like you would not even consider trying to circumvent the fee.  When I put my wine tote through the security scanner,  an agent usually intercepts it and opens it up to verify that it is wine.  He/she then usually directs me to the "wine table" where I sign the chit for the corkage charge.  I have never had a case where the wine table was unattended, like some others have reported.  If that does happen, I will be happy to pay the corkage fee at the restaurant.

We do not "walk off" when disembarking.  We pack our bags and leave them outside our cabin door the last evening of the cruise.  Since we have consumed all our wine, the tote is used for packing the few items--toiletries, some clothes--that we wanted to use after our luggage was picked up.  It works well.  So, I guess, I use it in a fashion similar to your 22" Rollaboard.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, XBGuy said:

@Steelers36, I have heard the rationale that Princess shipboard meals do not merit pairing with what might be high quality wine from my collection.  Let me explain why I will continue to bring my own wine.

We drink wine, every night.  At home a few days ago we had leftover turkey sandwiches.  I opened a bottle of Quivet Cellars Syrah and Mrs. XBGuy opened a bottle of Rivers-Marie Chardonnay.  (Mrs. XBGuy is an "All Chardonnay, All the Time" person.)  We both enjoyed our wines and felt that we had a terrific dinner.  We don't eat sandwiches every night.  In fact the leftover turkey was from a breast we grilled in the back yard a few days earlier--very tasty, but, certainly nothing extravagant.  I had a Clarice Pinot Noir with that.  If my Princess meal is not particularly distinctive, then there is a good chance that a bottle of Mending Wall Cabernet Sauvignon can improve my appreciation.  (Yes, I know that I am in a California wine rut.  It's my rut, and I like it.}

The present Princess wine list is quite uninspiring.  It would not take very long to go through the handful of wines that I would like to try.  So, that seems to be another reason to bring my own.

I just celebrated my 76th birthday. and I have a pretty big inventory of wine.  The goal is to not leave wine for estate disposition.  I can't be taking off a week or two in which I am not reducing my inventory.  😂

On thing that I should add is that I live within easy driving distance of the port.  It is very easy to toss my wine tote into the car, drive to the port and drag it onto the ship.  I agree that transporting wine on a commercial airline is a royal pain.  So, I can certainly understand why having to fly to the port would discourage people from bringing their own wine.

I do drink wine almost every night - unless a beer would be more suitable or desirable.  Bottle values vary, and it is not very easy nor really feasible for me to bring any quantity beyond a bottle or two (should I so choose) from Ontario to Fort Lauderdale - or overseas for that matter.  So, I depend on Total Wine to obtain my stash.

I had never heard of the producers you mention - although would have surmised located in one or another CA wine region.  Dare I suggest these are smaller producers and won't even find their way into consumer locations that are larger scale because they cannot get the quantities needed. 

Most restaurant wine lists could be called uninspiring.  (Many don't even deserve that much).  I think most are either unable or uninformed to go beyond "safer" selections and so forth.  At least some do present labels that are not found on the store shelves.

I am happy for you to be able to take and enjoy the fruits of your own collection.  No idea the size.  For me, I only have a 100+ bottles around at any time and very few duplicates.  I have been in a longish period of trying a wide range of wines curated by a service here in Ontario that can obtain private sourced wines and re-package and share with members.  Here, we have total government control over wine (and liquor) and so to experience off-shelf wines, one needs to find other ways.  Our liquor board is one of the largest buyers of wine in the world, so again, they need to find quantities as most purchases bring in large quantities.  They do have rare wine program as well, but I digress. 

I no longer have the space nor inclination to build up a large cellar, so the inventory level stays relatively steady with new in-flow replacing what has been consumed since the last acquisition.

So obtaining wine in FLL, or overseas, is for me to find some decent value wine that beats what PCL can offer for what it costs me and is then on par with labels they do offer at much higher prices. 

On a much smaller scale, I do enjoy having some of our local Niagara Region wines that do not make it to the stores which I presume is the case for many of your CA labels.  You are lucky to have so much choice there beyond the names every one knows.

• Like 3

On 4/26/2024 at 1:08 PM, reedprincess said:

You are incorrect 

The website is very clear it's ONE bottle per passenger corkage free (not two) and any additional bottles at $20 corkage.... Maybe go to the website yourself and read up...

Thank you.  The Australian mobile site gave different information- no surprise.  Called them and corrected as of this morning.  Not a reading problem, but Princess getting around to changing the various mobile sites.

On 4/26/2024 at 3:18 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Incorrect.  You can bring on more and pay the $20 Corkage either as you board or when brought to the dining room.  The first two bottles (1 per/passenger) do not incur a corkage fee but are to be consumed in your cabin.  Nothing would prevent you from pouring your wine in your cabin and carrying the glass to the dining room.

On 4/26/2024 at 4:14 PM, Steelers36 said:

Incorrect.  Guest may bring on much much more than 2 bottles (IDK if anyone knows what the practical limit would be).  All bottles >1 per guest are subject to a corkage fee of $20/btl. 

We once pre-ordered a case of wine from Total Wine and picked it up when we went to port.  At that time (FLL in 2012) we just sealed the case well and put a luggage tag on it and checked it. Pretty sure that would be frowned upon these days.  2 of the 12 did not incur a corkage fee but when we brought the others to the MDR we were charged corkage.