NCL dropped a destination weeks before cruising

It's called spin. NCL is notorious for dropping ports for "environmental" reasons or any other cockamamie reason they can concoct...and usually after final payment.  Yes, it's within their rights, but that doesn't make it right.

I'm a fan of NCL overall, but this nonsense has to stop. No other cruise line routine pulls this kind of stunt as often as NCL.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Our upcoming London - Scotland - Norway - Iceland cruise on the Star, had a change of embarkation from Portsmouth to Southampton after most people had purchased non refundable train fare.  We were given $50 non refundable OBC per person.  They also dropped Ulvik, Norway and the Faroe Islands for environmental reasons (read fuel costs).  We also had a swap of one port in Iceland.  Many people had booked specifically for Faroe Islands and of course we were notified after final payment.  No compensation provided and now we have two extra days at sea.

Funny (not funny) thing was that there was press that NCL was pulling out of Portsmouth, but when we called to confirm the change to Southampton, we were assured we were still leaving from Portsmouth.  A week or so later, we finally received the official word.

Besides the problematic, but allowable under their contract, swapping / cancelling ports after final payment, their communication leaves a lot to be desired from timeliness and truthfulness.  This seems to becoming a regular occurrence and will make me think hard before booking future NCL cruises for more unique itineraries.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

At first, I also believed it may have to do with the 5 missing people, but NCL Sky is currently docked in Tortola.

The Breakaway has a scheduled stop on May 2nd that hasn’t been canceled. The truth is always preferred over twisted words. 

We are booked on the May 26th sailing of the Breakaway. 

The Breakaway will not be stopping in Tortola on May 2nd. That stop was part of a 10-night charter cruise that was canceled back in January.

Instead, the Breakaway is doing two 5-night charter cruises to the Western Caribbean. I'm on the second of those, departing from Miami on May 3.

4 hours ago, craig01020 said:

It's called spin. NCL is notorious for dropping ports for "environmental" reasons or any other cockamamie reason they can concoct...and usually after final payment.  Yes, it's within their rights, but that doesn't make it right.

I'm a fan of NCL overall, but this nonsense has to stop. No other cruise line routine pulls this kind of stunt as often as NCL.

We have only cruised NCL a few times but also have noticed this problem. Ports aren't being canceled at the last minute due to weather, for example, which is completely understandable. We've had ports canceled/changed months in advance for no apparent reason whatsoever. And never received any compensation. These changes often happen after final payment date.

7 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Want a good laugh?  On our Panama Canal cruise they canceled the perfectly safe port in Costa Rica and substituted Acapulco (Level 4 Do Not Travel per the US and Canadian State Departments).  They had the gall to tell us that the switch was made out of concern for our safety!

Exactly!! Our Panama Canal cruise dropped TWO central American ports, adding a sea day and Acapulco. I was shocked, since as you correctly point out, Acapulco is on the Do Not Travel list. 

Overall we have enjoyed our NCL cruises but been dismayed by these port changes. We cruise for the ports and study itineraries closely when choosing our cruises. I know ports may be changed at any time for weather related reasons and understand this completely. But the capricious port changes are discouraging. We have not noticed this on any other cruise line.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Apparently, you have not followed the news. Tortola, British Virgin Islands may not be all that safe.  In the past month 5 passengers from two separate Norwegian cruises has gone MISSING in Tortola.  As of a few days ago NONE of them have been found.

I believe it's only 3, not 5. Tortola is safer than most US cities. Something else is going on. All of the people are from the DR..... Maybe they don't want to go back to the DR. Maybe they were running from something. The environmental excuse is really bogus, NCL uses that excuse a lot

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

The environmental excuse is really bogus, NCL uses that excuse a lot

But they do it for our convenience and to enhance our experience! 😄 

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

13 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

I'm surprised you got the $100 too.  Our last 3 cruises on NCL have all had significant itinerary disruptions and we got zero!  Most notably, we were supposed to have a full day an a half in Panama City and were never even able to dock.  This was due to months long ongoing construction which they knew about well in advance but continued to advertise the overnight in port anyway.  We have been booking other lines when the itinerary is important to us and will only go with NCL now when it's just a "fun in the sun" Caribbean cruise.

Last summer they dropped the port of Isafjordur, Iceland on every single Prima cruise due to the dock not being completed and the Prima's lifeboats not being certified as tenders. After a while they had to know this work just was not going to be completed in time for any of their Prima cruises.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Unfortunately they kept Acapulco for our Panama Canal cruise

I got off in Acapulco on my PC cruise this year.  It was only the second cruise to stop there since their hurricane in October and it was honestly one of the best stops on the trip because of that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Soon we are going on our 4th NCL cruise. Probably have done 6 or 7 Royal Caribbean/Carnival cruises over the years but all but an Alaska one were Caribbean/Bahamas/Mexico. The NCL cruises have all been European ones. First cruise, no NCL issues BUT there was a bus strike in Italy and excursions involving busing to Rome were cancelled. No worries, we just hired a private driver. Second cruise was on the Star out of Venice. Midnight the day before the cruise, they told us they had engine problems and they were cancelling two Greek Islands AND Montenegro. Ended up picking up Split, Croatia and OBC and a future cruise credit. Third cruise, last year going Israel. Welp, that was the week all hell broke loose a day before we got on the ship so no Israel. Picked up a couple stops in Turkey and OBC. Now for the upcoming cruise, we were just notified that one port has been cancelled and will be a sea day. No compensation for that one. We will still cruise on NCL again after this but also book with the knowledge things can easily change and we may not be compensated for it. International travel can be complicated and I have level expectations for what could happen so it does bother me that much. Also, if there is a place we REALLY want to see, we don't do a cruise there. We fly and spend time in that area.

So at the end of the day, I don't get too terribly upset about the changes and understand it will probably happen again in the future and like I said, we will booking our next trip once we buy a couple more CruiseNext on this cruise. The only thing that I roll my eyes at is the "given recent guest feedback" and "sustainability efforts", they are CANCELLING a port. Pretty sure guest feedback isn't hey, let's cancel a stop we paid to go to. Secondly, on this particular cruise, they are extending our stays in other ports which for Edinburgh, we pick up two more hours. But for four other ports that they extended our stay for "optimal guest experience"??? Its 15 minutes for one and 30 minutes for the others. Pretty silly to laud those changes. 

Edited by N-8
  • Like 4

As I have been expanding out to other cruise lines recently, I find myself spending more time on other line's boards and forums.  In my exposure, it seems like this just-after-final-payment port change/drop happens significantly more frequently on NCL than it does on other lines.  

I find it to be very concerning and it does factor into my future cruise planning.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I believe it's only 3, not 5. Tortola is safer than most US cities. Something else is going on. All of the people are from the DR..... Maybe they don't want to go back to the DR. Maybe they were running from something. The environmental excuse is really bogus, NCL uses that excuse a lot

Five in total. The First 3 were two men and and a woman.  The other 2 were two men, one from The Netherlands.  All five from The Sky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

As I have been expanding out to other cruise lines recently, I find myself spending more time on other line's boards and forums.  In my exposure, it seems like this just-after-final-payment port change/drop happens significantly more frequently on NCL than it does on other lines.  

I find it to be very concerning and it does factor into my future cruise planning.

I was going to start perusing cruise lines boards to see if they are having similar issues. Not bailing on NCL yet but there seems to be trend of them cancelling/modifying stops right close after the final deposit is paid. 

• Like 2

On 4/28/2024 at 10:10 AM, Ruttrowg said:

Wow did not know about the missing people. Makes sense they dropped the stop,  but they should have done more than a $100 credit don't you think? Lots of good points on that thread above.

Are you new to cruising? They can drop each port for no reason whatsoever and offer nothing. Changing itineraries is pretty common in cruising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2024 at 9:33 AM, Ruttrowg said:

Our cruise in May was supposed to stop in British Virgin Islands. An email came saying due to fuel costs and recent surveys they are dropping this destination and giving us a mere $100 credit. Another day at sea instead of 1oing to this destination. 

Can they pull a stunt like this weeks before sailing?

1st off it is not a 'stunt', it is covered and speciiicaly addressed in your cruise contract that you obviously did not read.  You were actually due nOTHING at all for the change.  Them giving you he $100 was not required at all.  Nex time you buy something you ought to read what it is you are buying before plunking down your money.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

It's why, even though I really want to book a 23 day cruise in 2026, I would never book so far in advance! Half the itinerary will probably change by then. Heck, NCL will probably find the Northwest Passage just because passenger surveys asked them to cut out the Panama Canal part of the trip .

This is one reason (money is the other) we only book within the final payment period. 

*don't worry, I'm pretty sure the cruise will still traverse the canal - I'm not quite that dull*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This thread is proof positive that there is no pleasing folks.  There are many threads on these boards that discuss port changes and b*tch up and down about that "they didn't give uis a reason".  Now when a reason is given the complaint is that they do not like the reaosn and they ONLY got $100 OBC (whne they wre due NOTHING).  The cruise line cannot win.  Seems like that perhaps cruising just is not for some folks.  Either that or they are not happy until they find something to complain about.  I hate professional complainers...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

This thread is proof positive that there is no pleasing folks.  There are many threads on these boards that discuss port changes and b*tch up and down about that "they didn't give uis a reason".  Now when a reason is given the complaint is that they do not like the reaosn and they ONLY got $100 OBC (whne they wre due NOTHING).  The cruise line cannot win.  Seems like that perhaps cruising just is not for some folks.  Either that or they are not happy until they find something to complain about.  I hate professional complainers...

What reason was given?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jordan61 said:

What reason was given?

Uhhh . . .saving the environment thru cruising (total joke) . . . for your safety and or convenience (which the evidence usually suggests that they could actually care less about) . . . fuel conservation - (which translates into NCL is saving money by deliberately not delivering what they advertised and you paid for).  I'm sure I've forgotten a few good ones but the bottom line is they are saving money and think their customers are idiots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is the letter   

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

The itinerary for Norwegian Breakaway's sailings from May 12, 2024 through and including May 26, 2024, have changed. Travel Partners are asked to share this information with impacted guests.

As part of our commitment to deliver exceptional vacation experiences at every step of the cruise journey, listening to our guests is instrumental. Given recent guest feedback, and to accommodate certain circumstances including but not limited to fuel optimization as a part of our commitment to the environment and sustainability efforts, as well as global maritime regulations, we have adjusted the original itinerary as shown below. We apologize for any inconvenience these adjustments may cause. 

We recognize the importance that destinations play in our guests' vacation decision-making process and assure you that these modifications were made with an optimal guest experience top-of-mind. While we will no longer be calling on Tortola, British Virgin Islands, we are pleased to share that we have extended our visit to Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas; affording you with additional time to explore all our exclusive private island has to offer. The modified itinerary is as follows:

Original

DayDestinationArriveDepart

SunMIAMI, FL5:30 pm

MonAT SEA

TuePUERTO PLATA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC7:00 am4:00 pm

WedST. THOMAS, VIRGIN ISLANDS11:00 am7:00 pm

ThuTORTOLA, BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS6:00 am2:00 pm

FriAT SEA

SatGREAT STIRRUP CAY, BAHAMAS10:00 am6:00 pm

SunMIAMI, FL7:00 am

Revised

DayDestinationArriveDepart

SunMIAMI, FL5:30 pm

MonAT SEA

TuePUERTO PLATA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC9:00 am5:00 pm

WedST. THOMAS, VIRGIN ISLANDS1:00 pm7:30 pm

ThuAT SEA

FriAT SEA

SatGREAT STIRRUP CAY, BAHAMAS7:00 am7:00 pm

SunMIAMI, FL7:00 am

As a gesture of appreciation for choosing to sail with us and as a genuine acknowledgment of the inconvenience caused, we have arranged a $100 non-refundable onboard credit per stateroom (restrictions apply). This will reflect as a $50 non-refundable onboard credit for each of guest one and guest two on your onboard account.

SHORE EXCURSIONS
Shore excursions booked through NCL for Tortola, British Virgin Islands will be automatically canceled, and a full monetary refund of the fare paid will be returned to the form of payment used at the time of reservation; no further action is required. Shore excursions booked through NCL for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic and St. Thomas, Us Virgin Islands will be automatically adjusted to coincide with the new times in port; no further action is required. If you are interested in booking new excursions for your upcoming vacation, please login to your MyNCL account or contact us directly at (866) 625-1167. Guests residing outside of the U.S. or Canada should visit www.ncl.com for local contact information.

TRAVEL DOCUMENTS
Depending on nationality, guests may require a passport and/or a visa to visit certain ports of call. All necessary documentation should be printed and available to present at check-in on embarkation day. Guests who fail to obtain these documents will be denied boarding. For more information on the necessary documentation to sail and for all ports of call, please visit www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents. Requirements and policies are subject to change.

YOUR HEALTH AND SAFETY 
It is the responsibility of the guest to be aware of, and to satisfy, any local protocols and/or travel restrictions in place at the visiting destinations at the time of sailing to avoid denial of boarding. For additional information on our health and safety protocols, please visit www.ncl.com/sail-safe.

Please note that destination specific travel requirements supersede any NCL embarkation protocols. As such, we strongly encourage you to visit www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country to ensure you are in compliance and avoid any chance of being denied boarding. We encourage you to check these sites often, as regulations change frequently and with very short notice.

As always, we are at your service and look forward to providing you with a truly memorable onboard experience!

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line

This also impacts June 16 and 23 sailings. 

Earliest St Thomas excursions start at 1:45pm and all seem to be modified with the later arrival time. 

It’s a mystery as to why Tortola was canceled. Yes, they can do it, I know. 

Each person can decide if $100 OBC is generous or not. On a social media platform, some report having multiple cabins booked for family. We are cruising with some family members who have never cruised.  I’m sure we will have a wonderful time no matter what but it is disappointing but better than being told when embarking.  

Hoping we are able to tender at Great Stirrup Cay as scheduled as otherwise it’s a 2 port cruise over 7 days. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

Given recent guest feedback, and to accommodate certain circumstances including but not limited to fuel optimization as a part of our commitment to the environment and sustainability efforts, as well as global maritime regulations, we have adjusted the original itinerary as shown below. We apologize for any inconvenience these adjustments may cause. 

Golly, all they need to get in that reason is "port congestion" and they'll have the big lies all named! 

- Fuel optimization

- Guest feedback that they want to skip the port originally booked

- Maritime regulations

- Port congestion (unnamed this time)

I just keep saying it...what a trash company. But, a trash company I'm sure I'll book on again. @Travelling2Some I think the customers (including myself) are the idiots as we continue to book NCL, despite their pathetic insistence that itineraries are changed for the above reasons (typically after final payment). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, N-8 said:

I was going to start perusing cruise lines boards to see if they are having similar issues. Not bailing on NCL yet but there seems to be trend of them cancelling/modifying stops right close after the final deposit is paid. 

I primarily view RC, Princess and Cunard's forums and their cancellations (as far as I can tell) are  due to emergencies.  RC is actually currently having a rough go of it - they had a ship home ported in Baltimore, which obviously needed to be moved through no fault of theirs, and another ship is currently experiencing a very significant propulsion issue, and they have cancelled all stops in Labadee (RC's private resort in Haiti) for safety concerns.  Not NCL "safety" concerns like cancelling Costa Rica and adding Acapulco, but legitimate level 4 state department travel advisory we need to evacuate all nonessential personnel safety concerns.  While I may question the ability of RC's top brass to make good decisions in terms of where to invest their money in building a private resort, none of these cancellations concern me about booking with them.   The cruise ship contracts need to have flexibility so cruise lines can prioritize safety, and I fully support all of RC's decisions in redeploying their ships.  But I don't support how NCL has communicated with their customers and I certainly would prefer a reinstitution of a fuel surcharge over cancelled ports for fuel efficiency.     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Uhhh . . .saving the environment thru cruising (total joke) . . . for your safety and or convenience (which the evidence usually suggests that they could actually care less about) . . . fuel conservation - (which translates into NCL is saving money by deliberately not delivering what they advertised and you paid for).  I'm sure I've forgotten a few good ones but the bottom line is they are saving money and think their customers are idiots.

Here are the reasons they gave on our Prima cruise from London (Southampton) to Reykjavik

Before the cruise they cancelled Zeebrugges for Brugge saying there would be an extremely low tide of 1 foot.

During the cruise they cancelled Isafjordur, Iceland due to the dock not being ready yet. They did this every single Prima cruise this past summer.

And the port after Zeebrugges was Amsterdam. They told us we would also go there later in the afternoon on what had been scheduled as the Zeebrugges day. That also got cancelled according to them for rough seas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I just keep saying it...what a trash company. But, a trash company I'm sure I'll book on again. @Travelling2Some I think the customers (including myself) are the idiots as we continue to book NCL, despite their pathetic insistence that itineraries are changed for the above reasons (typically after final payment). 

Couldn't agree more! However, last month I booked Enchanted Princess for later this summer. It will be my first time on Princess in eleven years. Not really new to Princess as I am four cruises from Elite status. 

NCL had my business exclusively since 2014 but not anymore.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, craig01020 said:

So,,, if they drop a port the day before final payment, would there be any difference???? Even one cancellation??? Probably not. So the distinction is totally irrelevant. Just a lot of hype. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1