Compare GCT with Gate 1 and Vantage

sjde

We have been on GCT and Gate 1.  Our one GCT trip was to Egypt in 2006, while we have been on Gate 1 four times (China 2011, Iceland 2022, Danube with Budapest and Prague 2023 and SE Asia 2024). The Egypt, China and Danube trips all included river cruises.  In my estimate, Gate 1 reminds me of GCT, at least as GCT was in 2006.  In my view, Gate 1 provides and excellent product at a lower price than a lot of the competition,  While I have nothing but good things to say about GCT, I am currently a total Gate 1 fan.

Here is a link to my review of our Danube trip with Gate 1 last year: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2942656-gate-1-monarch-governess-may-26-2023-cruise-review-danube-with-budapest-and-prague/#comment-65506461

• Like 1

Take Vantage out of the equation. They no longer exist. 

One thing I like about GCT is that there are multiple program directors on onboard instead of just a single cruise director. 

• Like 1

I've never been on Gate 1, But I did 1 Vantage back in 2005 with my Parents and did GC recently with them again. Vantage and GC were basically the same (including the ships). I believe that Vantage (at least back in the early 2000's) was owned by a brother of the GC owner. But yep, they are no more, so that's a moot point.

Anyway, my wife and I a not fans of GC in the slightest. We are fans of AmaWaterways.

Our biggest complaint about GC is the cabins. The dual fold-down single bunks is unacceptable to us. We want the actual bed that you get in an Ama cabin. Bathrooms are much nicer also.

29 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

One thing I like about GCT is that there are multiple program directors on onboard instead of just a single cruise director. 

Ama uses a single cruise director. The biggest difference I would point our with this is that on Vantage and GC, we had 4 CDs such that the entire cruise ship was divided between them. This is your CD for the entire cruise, and they lead all the tours. They are expected to know everything about the places you are visiting, and you will be with the same large group of passengers the entire time. There are no options. Not in only in what you are doing, but the pace also. You either do the designated excursion or you don't. and if you do, the entire group stays together at the pace of the slowest person.

I can't speak to other companies other than Ama, but Ama's single CD is more of a coordinator. They do not lead any excursions, instead they are the are the go between with the local expert guides. They are the one that arranges for the appropriate number of guides for the different excursion options (yes! you have options!!), and your groups are almost always kept to small group size (with the exception of some evening all ship events). Not only that, but most walking tours are divided into easy, normal and active, each with their own guide.

• Like 1

My experience with GCT and the Program Diectors differs from the post above. 

Yes, you have the same group the entire trip. 

But,

- local guides are used for most, if not all, group tours. The PD is on the tour, often as a “herder” bringing up the rear. 
-All PDs  are available to you for advice on DIY activities during free time. 

- on most cruises, one or more PDs will organize a group activity during a day’s free time. 

The slowest person in the group rules, like just about every group tour I’ve ever been on. My experience has been that the PD is usually proactive in dealing with a significant outlier, even to the point of suggesting that they don’t participate in certain activities. 

This quote from the website is why I don’t wish to travel with GCT. It turned me off completely the first time I saw it. 

American travelers 

We cater exclusively to American travelers: English is the only language used during tours and presentations, and your trip is tailored to an American perspective, from experiences to accommodations to dining—which include regional specialties.

I’m fine with English language, but I like to have the perspectives of people from other English speaking countries, including the Brits, the Aussies, and my own Canadians. I don’t want a trip tailored to an American perspective. 

• Like 1

I hadn’t even realized that about them. I too like a variety of perspectives.  But Canadians are Americans- North Americans. 

sjde wow that’s fighting talk as my darling Aunt (a naturalised Canadian) said to me once she was now a Canadian first and a North American second. The same as in the U.K. for instance I’m a Brit/British but I’m also English I have friends who are Scots, Welsh and Irish, Chanel Islanders, Cornish,  Shetland’s but all Brits a small area, compact and bijou but perfectly formed! I suspect North Americans or Americans  originate from many countries especially Europe and still refer to their family heritage, as only First Nations or other indigenous peoples can truly say they are American/North American. 
I mean no harm to anyone my Aunt and Uncle were very proud to have been permitted to emigrate from the U.K. (United Kingdom) and become Canadian citizens, crikey I nearly did.

A bit of a confusing statement by the company. I mean we in Germany say American when we mean US and Canadian when we mean Canadian but in newspapers and television they prefer to make it clearer like saying US-Amerikaner. Is US and Canadian so close that they can throw both in one pot of perspective? Hmm... Anyway, sounds a bit limiting although if they focus on history it makes sense to limit yourself and become an expert in one rather that a three-quarter expert in three perspectives. I would be more concerned with the food and drink. All American (which is a weird term in itself anyway)? Bagels and burgers but no European buns for breakfast? Etc.

notamermaid

Regarding the "American" statement by GCT, it stands on its own, for better or worse.  If I were not American, it would certainly put me off.  Now that I know about it, it is putting me off.  However, our GCT trip to Egypt was awesome--and remains one of our all time favorites.  GCT gets some of the credit for that (also getting credit, the Pyramids, etc...).  As for Gate 1--while the guests on my four trips have been predominately American, there have always been some from other (at least in part) English speaking countries--Canada and Australia come to mind.  

Posted (edited)

Seeing that GTC is an US based company, I would assume the term "American" is literally that - American citizens. Canadians may be part of North America, however so is Mexico, St Pierre & Miquelon (which is part of France) and Greenland (which is part of Denmark). In fact there are 23 different countries in North America.

The continent is called North America, American refers to being part of the United States of America.

Edited by Daisi