when does OBC show in account after final payment is made?

susiesan

I am sailing on Pursuit Sept. 8, 2024. I made the final payment April 30. I am to receive $250 OBC from my TA for the cruise.

When will the OBC show in my account? I'd like to book some shore excursions and make specialty dinner reservations with the OBC.

Should I have my TA contact AZ to get the OBC added or will Azamara get around to it soon?

OBC from your TA rarely appears until boarding. You can’t make speciality reservations before boarding. Speak to your TA about what they can do re your excursions 

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever had TA OBC show up before boarding (and actually, not before the 2nd day often) so unable to use for anything like shore excursions before you are on the ship. But once you are there you can use it for anything that is permitted even before it shows on the account. 

10 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I don't think I've ever had TA OBC show up before boarding (and actually, not before the 2nd day often) so unable to use for anything like shore excursions before you are on the ship. But once you are there you can use it for anything that is permitted even before it shows on the account. 

Since the OBC won't show up before I board I run the risk of the shore ex or dining plans I want to use it on being sold out or full? Since it is not refundable I don't want to make a donation to Azamara. I already have the Experience More package from the TA so there is nothing else I want to spend the $250 on. Other cruise lines I sail with put the TA OBC in your account as soon as final payment is made, Oceania and Windstar do this.

Posted (edited)

Yes, TA OBC doesn’t typically show up until @24 hours after embarkation. My guess is that since TA’s have to buy the obc they want to be sure that you are onboard. 
TA onboard credit is refundable. 

Edited by crzrr
Added info
  • Like 2

Speciality dining packages won’t sell out. As soon as you get onboard go to the Reservation desk (check with Guest Relations where it is on embarkation day) & make your bookings. Once your OBC is in place you should be able to get Guest Relations to transfer the cost of your restaurant bookings to your OBC.

Given that TA credit is refundable, you could book the excursions now and pay for them and then once your cruise is over your credit balance offsets your original spend (assuming you havent spent on board for other things that was not covered by other OBC)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

It depends. The OBC that I get from my TA is a combination of refundable and non refundable.

That's interesting.  I've never heard of TA OBC being non-refundable.  Where does it go if you don't spend it - back to your TA?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, crzrr said:

That's interesting.  I've never heard of TA OBC being non-refundable.  Where does it go if you don't spend it - back to your TA?

It goes back to you, if refundable.  On your account.

Hardly does that ever happen with me! 😀

I have no problem spending! 
Non refundable = use it or lose it

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

It goes back to you, if refundable.  On your account.

Hardly does that ever happen with me! 😀

I have no problem spending! 
Non refundable = use it or lose it

I understand that.  My question was if a TA's OBC is non-refundable, who gets it if it's not spent.  Would it go back to the TA or would AZ keep it.  OBC from your TA is purchased by your TA.  I've never heard of a TA's OBC being non-refundable - anytime that we got some, it was refundable.

• Like 1

My TA told me it would show up about a week before sailing and happily is refundable.   But I am going to take a copy of my invoice along just in case.   I plan on trying a lot of stuff in the Atlas Bar!  

• Like 1

If the TA pays the full value of the OBC, it should be refundable. If it was a shared promotion between Azamara and the TA, it would be non-refundable. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If the TA pays the full value of the OBC, it should be refundable. If it was a shared promotion between Azamara and the TA, it would be non-refundable. 

Thanks for clarifying!

36 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And if it's refundable, it goes back to the credit card you file onboard.  If you have a balance due at the end of the cruise, that goes to the credit card; if you have a positive balance, the refund goes to the same card.

• Like 2

An alternative is you can withdraw the balance as cash on the last night. That’s a good option for non US guests who can use dollars in other situations. As we were disembarking in Miami that’s what we did 

• Like 3

I had a correspondence with my TA yesterday about his OBC not showing.  He said they only make the OBC deposit shortly before the sailing because if I cancel, they will not get the OBC refunded.

Host Jazzbeau is correct about refundable vs. non refundable.  If you don't use the non refundable, you lose it.  They debit spending from the non refundable first.  If the TA did a cross promotion with the cruise line, then it's non refundable.  If not a promo OBC, then it's refundable.  There could be a combination of both from the TA.  To find out, ask your agent if it's all refundable or not.

I never allow my refundable OBC to go back to my credit card.  Since my card pays me 3% for travel expenditures, going back to the card would cause them to claw back the rebate amount on the refunded amount.  Therefore, I go to guest relations to get my refundable in cash so I keep the cash rebate.  That is if my DW doesn't spend it in the gift shop first. 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Instead of refundable OBC, we get a rebate check from our travel agency shortly after we return from the cruise. The amount is clearly stated on their invoice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I go to guest relations to get my refundable in cash

Quick question:  At what point in time during the cruise is it best to do this?

1 hour ago, Stem to Stern said:

Quick question:  At what point in time during the cruise is it best to do this?

I go the night before disembarking or earlier if the shops close earlier 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tgg said:

Instead of refundable OBC, we get a rebate check from our travel agency shortly after we return from the cruise. The amount is clearly stated on their invoice. 

I do also from two TA's I'm using.  One gave me $1,200 rebate and $800 Refundable OBC for a cruise next year.

20 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I do also from two TA's I'm using.  One gave me $1,200 rebate and $800 Refundable OBC for a cruise next year.

The more you spend, the more you save. 😃😀😃

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tgg said:

The more you spend, the more you save. 😃😀😃

Yeah but I would have booked that veranda anyway.  Same ones I usually book on AZ. So the rebates are just icing on my cake which I can eat it too.