Booking Enchanted Princess after 12 years since last Princess cruise

I will be booking a last minute cruise on the Enchanted Princess for late June. It's been 12 years since we last cruised with Princess (timing just hadn't worked out). I know there has been lots of changes in those years (dining/etc).

Anything major I should know about? I'm going to be booking a mini-suite at a minimum (I really like having a couch) so will probably book a reserve.

Since we will be celebrating our 15th anniversary this year (we honeymooned on the Emerald Princess), I am considering splurging for a corner aft penthouse suite. Any opinions on whether or not it's worth it? The one thing that is making me want to book this suite is the size of the balcony. The ability to have my own lounge space on a holiday cruise sounds like a great idea.

12 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I will be booking a last minute cruise on the Enchanted Princess for late June. It's been 12 years since we last cruised with Princess (timing just hadn't worked out). I know there has been lots of changes in those years (dining/etc).

Anything major I should know about? I'm going to be booking a mini-suite at a minimum (I really like having a couch) so will probably book a reserve.

Since we will be celebrating our 15th anniversary this year (we honeymooned on the Emerald Princess), I am considering splurging for a corner aft penthouse suite. Any opinions on whether or not it's worth it? The one thing that is making me want to book this suite is the size of the balcony. The ability to have my own lounge space on a holiday cruise sounds like a great idea.

We always try to book aft suites as the balconies are much larger than any mid ship balconies 

Things to look for:

Medallion replaces the cruise card.

If you book a reserve class mini suite you will get reserve class dining. This is walk in dining with little or no wait in a special section of a DR. Have you checked cabin availability. reserve class go quickly.

If you book a full suite there are additional benefits. 

Look at the plus and premier fares. These fare benefits do not really overlap with full suite benefits. There is a lot of discussion about the fares. For me the plus fare makes sense.

Enchanted has a new specialty dining restaurant called The Catch by Rudy.  Excellent1.  Also the Good Spirts bar has excellent cocktails.  I was on her for 30 days this past February and March.  Love this ship.  Adults only pool on Deck 17 - great place to lounge and though I love kids, I prefer them not to be with them all the time.

We were just in R730 on the Enchanted last week and it was fabulous.  It was a nice wide balcony (the ones on Aloha and Caribe are narrow but still nice).  It was just down the hall from the suite concierge lounge which was convenient and the nightly happy hours there were a lot of fun.  I wouldn't hesitate sailing in that cabin again, the aft cabins are fantastic.

Still debating. I decided I'm definitely getting a Penthouse Suite, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost to myself between a regular Penthouse and an aft. But, I also priced out with the Plus package, which I'm trying to decide if I really need. We might have 1 alcoholic drink a day, maybe 2. I'm personally happy drinking water/iced tea. I don't need "fancy coffee". I can get the soda package for my wife. I don't think the 2 casual dining options are a necessity for us. While I could do without WiFi, my wife will want it. 

I believe I can book just the standard for now, and mull about adding the package later? While the convenience is nice, I can probably skip it. That savings would let me pull the trigger on the bigger balcony.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Still debating. I decided I'm definitely getting a Penthouse Suite, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost to myself between a regular Penthouse and an aft. But, I also priced out with the Plus package, which I'm trying to decide if I really need. We might have 1 alcoholic drink a day, maybe 2. I'm personally happy drinking water/iced tea. I don't need "fancy coffee". I can get the soda package for my wife. I don't think the 2 casual dining options are a necessity for us. While I could do without WiFi, my wife will want it. 

I believe I can book just the standard for now, and mull about adding the package later? While the convenience is nice, I can probably skip it. That savings would let me pull the trigger on the bigger balcony.

With a full suite you can get the alcohol drinks from 5 to 7 for free in the suite concierge lounge plus all of the water and soft drinks you can handle throughout the day.  Ditto cappuccino and espresso - you can use that machine 24 X 7.  And you'll get a full minibar set up too.  You can add the packages on embarkation day if you change your mind, just remember you can't buy just one, you'd have to pay for both of you.  It might be cheaper to buy your wife a WiFi package.

ETA:  Meant to clarify that your wife probably wouldn't need a soda package if you are in a full suite.  You will get 6 sodas in the mini bar set up and as I mentioned you can get more from the suite concierge lounge for free so you can keep your fridge loaded.  You don't have to consume the drinks you get in the lounge, you can take them back to your suite.  And if you choose a "regular" penthouse suite that means walking across the hall with them.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, you can book the standard, and add a package at any time.

Possibly thru boarding day????  

Do consider the specialty restaurants!

Too bad that Alfredo's is no longer 'included'...  But you really should go there, great pizza!

I can't advise as far as the suite...  How much would you appreciate the Aft location????

There are probably YouTube videos of the Suites...   (other Royal Class ships should be almost the same as the Enchanted.)

If you are looking at the Aft Penthouse Suites, I believe that some will have larger/deeper balconies on some decks than others.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Very exciting to read this. Similar for me after 6 years away from Princess (Celebrity had just launched their new Retreat concept and new Apex type ships - amazing!), but I wanted to try the new Sun and Star concept. 

Star got cancelled which lead me to booking a 20 day Caribbean cruise March 26 and I plumped for an Aft B734 Penthouse. The balcony looks huge (we had an Owner Suite once for Alaska and that was like half a room size again!), plus reading above about all the add ons and perks. We opted for Premier so we have the full works, shame it’s so far away! Can’t wait though….

38 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Well, I booked last night. Looking forward to the cruise.

Congratulations!  Did you select aft or regular PH?

1 hour ago, ian441672 said:

Very exciting to read this. Similar for me after 6 years away from Princess (Celebrity had just launched their new Retreat concept and new Apex type ships - amazing!), but I wanted to try the new Sun and Star concept. 

Star got cancelled which lead me to booking a 20 day Caribbean cruise March 26 and I plumped for an Aft B734 Penthouse. The balcony looks huge (we had an Owner Suite once for Alaska and that was like half a room size again!), plus reading above about all the add ons and perks. We opted for Premier so we have the full works, shame it’s so far away! Can’t wait though….

We were in that cabin on the Royal Princess in December and yes the deck is huge.  It's a short two deck walk up the Suite Concierge Lounge so you're not too far away from all of the goodies and help that the Suite Concierge can provide including priority disembarkation services.

10 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

We were in that cabin on the Royal Princess in December and yes the deck is huge.  It's a short two deck walk up the Suite Concierge Lounge so you're not too far away from all of the goodies and help that the Suite Concierge can provide including priority disembarkation services.

Oooh, fantastic, that sounds good. Would the medallion allow you to order drinks to your suite too, say a glass of fizz for your balcony?!

1 minute ago, ian441672 said:

Oooh, fantastic, that sounds good. Would the medallion allow you to order drinks to your suite too, say a glass of fizz for your balcony?!

Yes, with a package you can do that.  But remember that they will knock on the door which you may not hear them.  If it's from 5 to 7 you can go to the concierge lounge and grab a couple to take back to your room.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Too bad that Alfredo's is no longer 'included'...  But you really should go there, great pizza!

Sure, but what's $8.50 for a pizza when springing for a Suite.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Sure, but what's $8.50 for a pizza when springing for a Suite.

I think with Premier isn’t it all included now, or with the Plus is it two?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, ian441672 said:

Has the OP actually booked yet ?  I have not seen whether they have booked and if it includes a package. On last minute cruises very few penthouse aft suites are usually available the tend to sell out fast. We generally book them at least a year in advance 

Well my surprise there are some available on 7 day Mexico cruises however it looks like $14,000 to $18,000 for two. Pretty rich for my taste

Edited by memoak

1 hour ago, ian441672 said:

Yes, with Premier you get unlimited casual restaurants.  In fact, if you want two items from any section of the menu that's OK with Premier too.

42 minutes ago, memoak said:

Has the OP actually booked yet ?  I have not seen whether they have booked and if it includes a package. On last minute cruises very few penthouse aft suites are usually available the tend to sell out fast. We generally book them at least a year in advance 

Well my surprise there are some available on 7 day Mexico cruises however it looks like $14,000 to $18,000 for two. Pretty rich for my taste

That's like what I'm seeing for pricing for suites on the Sun this fall.  I'm finding lots of reasonable suite prices on all other ships.  Actually I should say reasonable upcharges for a suite from the comped insides I get.  Never mind! 😉

2 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

That's like what I'm seeing for pricing for suites on the Sun this fall.  I'm finding lots of reasonable suite prices on all other ships.  Actually I should say reasonable upcharges for a suite from the comped insides I get.  Never mind! 😉

I find those prices pretty high. We usually upgrade from a comp balcony and often pay around $10K for 2 with plus package on a 14-17 day cruise on Grand class ships

2 hours ago, memoak said:

I booked last night. I didn't book a package. I don't drink like a fish, so I didn't feel the drink package was worth it. I might pay for WiFi. I can easily skip the casual restaurants (and if I'm so inclined, just pay). I'm already ahead of the package pricing going for just what I need. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ian441672 said:

The OP seemed uninclined to purchase any package (it didn't seem to make sense in their situation), but was musing about having free pizza like it used to be.  My only comment is that paying $8.50 for a pizza after thousands for a suite doesn't seem like a big deal (if not otherwise interested in a package).

• Like 2