Question from new CPAP user

Cabunit

I am a new CPAP user.  We don’t know if I will be on it long term or not, so we don’t want to invest in a travel CPAP yet.  We think we understand how to use one on a ship with one exception.  We have been in the same cabin as on our next cruise, so we know that the nightstand will not hold the CPAP.  What do you do with the device?
A.  Put it on the floor
B.  Can the ship supply a little table?
C.  Bring something alone, like a cardboard box, to set it on.
D.  Other?
Thank you for any suggestions or information.

On a CC cabin crawl, I saw where someone had placed a paperback book the thickness of the lamp base on either side of the lamp, held in place with painter's tape. The CPAP machine was sitting on top of the books with a loop of tape holding the hose to the lamp to prevent it from falling off of the nightstand.

Us North Americans are a clever lot! 😉

• Thanks 1

I've had three different CPAPs and all have fit on the little side nightstand, despite the lamp bolted in dead center. Didn't look like they would, but they did. My experience with a travel CPAP was that it was expensive but cheaply made, didn't work well and died quickly. I now don't bother.

A. Sure you can, and I have done in the past.

B. I bet they can and will.

C.D. I really don't think you need to. The newer CPAPs are getting smaller and the nightstand on each Princess ship I've been on (haven't done Sphere yet) would fit my older ones.

Buy yourself an adapter with an extra plug to fit the European plug behind the bed that the lamp is plugged into. I'd leave the unit plugged in and set up on the nightstand but put the hose and mask in a drawer during the day. Go to your booking, check in => dietary requests to ask for distilled water. 

• Like 4

Have you explored the electrical connection? You may need a (ship supplied) extension cord because there are no outlets by the bed(s) except on the new Sun. One 220 outlet under the bed for the lamp.

I travel with a CPAP and an adapter.  The adapter part is important:  make sure it has a European Plug (male) that will go into the wall...AND 2 outlets (one European for the lamp and one US for the CPAP).  You will not need a converter since most medical devices are dual voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to travel with a small collapsible stool to fit inside the bedside table drawer.

image.thumb.jpeg.76ef1376bbd44cdc93ea8cd2d992a541.jpeg

Now I take a small box that I can flatten to pack and open once on the ship.  

AND yes, there is almost always an outlet near/under the bed for the lamp.  When I was in isolation in a balcony cabin on the Caribbean Princess, the bed was next to the desk with an US outlet.  I also carry my own extension cord for short distances.  

When there was no other choice, I’ve made due with putting the machine on the floor.  With a six foot hose, it wasn’t a problem.  Helps that I’m a side sleeper typically facing the machine.

but I’d check with my steward to see if other, level, arrangements can be done.  Even to removing the end table with the lamp with something else that would fit your machine.

We have had three cruises on Princess ships and all of our cabins have had a small coffee table in them.  I put my CPAP away during the day and then at night, I move the coffee table over by the bed and put my CPAP machine on that.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cabunit said:

I am a new CPAP user.  We don’t know if I will be on it long term or not, so we don’t want to invest in a travel CPAP yet.  We think we understand how to use one on a ship with one exception.  We have been in the same cabin as on our next cruise, so we know that the nightstand will not hold the CPAP.  What do you do with the device?
A.  Put it on the floor
B.  Can the ship supply a little table?
C.  Bring something alone, like a cardboard box, to set it on.
D.  Other?
Thank you for any suggestions or information.

Mine fits in the open space under the tabletop nightstand.  I use a European plug adapter for the outlet.

Posted (edited)

I generally can use the side table (but I have a mini travel cpap).  If for some reason I can't use the table, I pull the desk chair over by the bed and set it on that.  Also, I know there is a risk of bringing your own extension cord and having it confiscated, but so far (knock on wood) I pack a non-grounded cheap extension cord inside my cpap bag and it goes through just fine.  I did borrow one on a cruise, once, but they brought a REALLY long and big cord that was bulky and in the way, so now I bring my own and hope they don't say anything.  Just to keep down questions with steward, I pack it away during the day. 😉

Oh, and if you need distilled water, the cruise line will provide it for you.  Just fill out the medical request before going on your cruise.  

Edited by smwg

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Mine fits in the open space under the tabletop nightstand.  I use a European plug adapter for the outlet.

I should add, the European plug goes into the wall, I then plug the light in and my extension cord with US outlets and USB plugs.  Then plug my cpap and other items into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I had to start using a CPAP, I had not been on a cruise yet. I knew the lamp on the bedstand would not accommodate the machine. From looking at pictures of the nightstand, I built a small stand that fits between the wall and the light and is tall enough to fit over the base of the lamp. The desk in my cabin is right next to the bed, so it gets plugged in there. I can leave CPAP where it is, During the day, I do disconnect the hose and store it in the nightstand. I cover the machine a disposable shower cap. I take a few extras to change them out. I carry the shelf in my checked luggage. 

Depending on what ship and the type of cabin you book, you may already have a small table in the cabin.  My friend took his and just put it on the desk in a standard balcony cabin and slept on that side of the bed.  They have extra extension cords if needed, as well.  
Of note, you can also order distilled water (free of charge) to your cabin ahead of time.  They will keep you stocked. 

Maybe I'm the outlier, but if my CPAP doesn't fit on the nightstand by the desk, I'll just set the device on the floor. Like @BDevilCruiser, the hose was plenty long enough to reach from the floor to my sleeping position. 

However, for my upcoming cruise I finally (after 3 years) invested in a travel CPAP. I'm eager to see how it'll work on the cruise ship. I've used it on a couple of land-based trips with zero issues, maybe it'll fit fine on the nightstand.

Also, I bring the most basic of 10' extension cords I could find at the hardware store. It's nothing fancy and I've yet to have an issue bringing it onboard. The first time I sailed with my CPAP I requested an extension cord from my room steward. My experience was similar to @smwg in that the steward brought me a massive, industrial style extension cord. It was like 100' long. 

Request the distilled water from your room steward when you get on board if you haven't filled out the special needs request prior to departing. I've yet to have an issue getting that taken care of.

I would like to ask another question on this string, if OP doesn't mind.  (I have cruised with CPap and your suggestions seem spot on). We, however, usually drive to ports.  This time we are flying and I have not flown with my CPap.  Any hints on how you pack your CPap and how to get through security with it?  I want it to be sanitary and to be as light weight packing as possible, without having to invest in a travel CPap.  Have any of you used a special travel bag, etc?

5 minutes ago, GeorgiaGirl14 said:

I would like to ask another question on this string, if OP doesn't mind.  (I have cruised with CPap and your suggestions seem spot on). We, however, usually drive to ports.  This time we are flying and I have not flown with my CPap.  Any hints on how you pack your CPap and how to get through security with it?  I want it to be sanitary and to be as light weight packing as possible, without having to invest in a travel CPap.  Have any of you used a special travel bag, etc?

Use a separate travel bag for your CPAP (this avoids explanations and unpacking the regular bag). Put a tag on the bag with "Medical Equipment". Be sure that ALL of your supplies are in the bag...don't check any CPAP supplies.

DH has a travel CPAP that he puts in a fold up backpack. 

Don't forget your power cord...😵‍💫

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Of note, you can also order distilled water (free of charge) to your cabin ahead of time.  They will keep you stocked. 

5 minutes ago, Nike4000 said:

Request the distilled water from your room steward when you get on board if you haven't filled out the special needs request prior to departing. I've yet to have an issue getting that taken care of.

It's easy to request the distilled water ahead of time. Then you don't have to bother the steward unless it isn't there.

It is not a "special needs request" It is listed under "Dietary Requests" under "Guest Check-in Status" after selecting "Check-in" on the Cruise Personalizer. Enter an Email Address and select the appropriate passenger. Then check the box for "Distilled water (for CPAP machine use ONLY)" and click on "SEND DIETARY RESTRICTION".

You should receive an email confirmation. More importantly, it should be on your Travel Summary (which everyone should always print and bring with them on the cruise). The following items are listed under "SPECIAL SERVICES" on my Travel Summary after submitting the distilled water request (even though I did not specifically ask for an extension cord and one is not needed since I will be using an adapter and the plug behind the bedside lamp):

• Distilled Water (1 Gallon)
  • Extension Cord Requested
  • Medical Equip-CPAP/BIPAP Not Suppl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Use a separate travel bag for your CPAP (this avoids explanations and unpacking the regular bag). Put a tag on the bag with "Medical Equipment". Be sure that ALL of your supplies are in the bag...don't check any CPAP supplies.

DH has a travel CPAP that he puts in a fold up backpack. 

Don't forget your power cord...😵‍💫

I agree completely. I use the bag that came with the CPAP. It holds all of the accessories. Sometimes I need to remove the CPAP from the bag to go through security, but not all of the time. Note that this bag does NOT count as a carry-on or personal item for the airline - it can be carried in addition to the maximum number of items they allow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I fly with my cpap, in it's case, inside my carry on. So far, I have not been asked to take it out, but have been asked if it is a cpap. If you want it separate, you can take it on the plane as a carry on. For most airlines, it will not count, as the two bag limit for carry on's.

5 minutes ago, Greg4502 said:

I fly with my cpap, in it's case, inside my carry on. So far, I have not been asked to take it out, but have been asked if it is a cpap. If you want it separate, you can take it on the plane as a carry on. For most airlines, it will not count, as the two bag limit for carry on's.

YMMV...some (but definitely not all) European airlines have different rules regarding medical equipment.

I've been cruising with a CPAP for over a decade and have always been able to fit it on the nightstand.  If all else fails pull the nightstand forward an inch or two and set the CPAP in back of the lamp.  That was a trick shared with me by a very wise steward many years ago and it's worked on every class of ship that Princess sails.

I have a fairly large CPAP which fits on the bed stand, I have no issue with humidity do I don’t use water in it   I would suggest you bring an extension cord if you are used to sleeping on one side or another there may not be a plug near you. If you ask them to supply one it will be one of those heavy duty industrial ones

1 hour ago, GeorgiaGirl14 said:

I usually fly with it in its case inside my carryon/rollerbag.  Be aware that Canada is a special (read most annoying rules regarding CPap) place.  They will make you take out your machine (not the tubing or mask) and place it in a bin.  You are not allowed to use a clear zip-lock/plastic bag (in some cases, it depends on the person doing the screening. I have use a clear zip-lock at various times.).  No idea why they do this. 🤷🏻‍♀️  I have held up a line requesting a supervisor to try to work out how they would accept not putting my medical device in the same bins where people have put their shoes.  In the end they allowed some chemwipe/tissues under the machine in the bin, and over the machine while it traveled through the xray machine.  I also carry disinfecting wipes for after the xray machine before I put it back in its bag, and then inside my carryon. 

US security is easier, allowing the machine to mostly stay in the rollerbag, though I have TSA precheck, and it has been a long time since I went through the regular line.  Europe, and other countries do ask to have the machine taken out but often can stay in carrying case.  It just depends on their rules. So be prepared with a zip lock, and wipes just in case.

YMMV

• Like 2