GTY cabin barcode trick issue?

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Cabin 11696 is the right cabin of the pair and has the bed by the balcony.  Sofa beds on Allure go in cabins with bed by the closet/bathroom; those are the left of the paired cabins).  

Didn’t realize, that confirms what the CM said.  

Realize a cruise ship registered in Nassau (i believe) is different from a hotel (where they often have to confirm to max occupancy/fire codes).  Still, would think they would adhere to overall cabin occupancy.

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

I’ll still ask…how tall is your GD?

Growth spurt time, all legs, at least 64 inches.  

TBH Doesn’t seem as tho they would be keeping their end of the bargain if they’d expect her to conform to a love seat.  She’s slept on full size couches and pull out sorts over the years.  Oddly, she did get excited by an upper berth one trip.  File it under something new I suppose.

I’d like to think it will work out, we won’t be turned away at the pier & we will either get some sort of balcony with three berths or will squish into one with two and laugh about it down the road.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keishashadow said:

I’d like to think it will work out, we won’t be turned away at the pier & we will either get some sort of balcony with three berths or will squish into one with two and laugh about it down the road.

At least you seem to be handling it well and have a good attitude.

I'm far from a blind optimist but I'd be shocked if it didn't get worked out one way or another. I just hope you get your official assignment sooner rather than later so you can get someone to actually address the issue (if it's not addressed by then). Please keep us posted.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Oh, I’ll be back 🙂with good news!  Maybe we’ll get assigned an empty suite, hahaha

Never had a whiff of any issues with RCCL in the past.  Has become our cruise line of choice.  

It’s just turning into such a strange booking this go-round. This is not the first hiccup on RCCL’s end for this sailing.  Wound up being charged for this cruise twice.  Had paid it off in full long ago.  When i called in and upgraded to a GTY balcony a month or so ago, the fun began. They charged me twice for the cruise. 

RCCL did finally return the erroneous charge in just under a month.  Upon me originally questioning them after catching the charge on my card, they did quickly check it out and agreed they made a mistake.  Explanation was the overcharge was a clerical sort of error due to how the agent processed the upgrade.

When i called back a bit later, questioning why the cabin appeared to show the incorrect occupancy, was told the error had nothing to do with this issue.  I took the high road & their word on that.

Edited by keishashadow
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

What is google lens?   never heard of this

Where you normally type a question in the grey Search box, touch the camera icon and it turns into a … camera… point it at a flower and it will tell you what the flower is. 
In this case point it at the barcode and it will translate the bar code into the cabin number 

IMG_3826.png

Edited by little britain

On 5/29/2024 at 7:21 PM, 3yorkies said:

What is google lens?   never heard of this

Hi there , I  back up my photos to Google Photos. There is a tool at bottom of the photos called Google lens , great if you don't know where the subject is or as LB explained what a flower is. I find it simpler to screenshot then use Google lens than her explanation.  As a random example here is a photo from yonks ago,  if tapped on Google lens it will tell me where the place is 😆. So for finding out cabin number I screen shot set sail pass Google lens reads the barcode. Screenshot_20240531_112142_Photos.thumb.jpg.a3be78f4858294aed18c2349e3e7a4b4.jpg

8 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

Hi there , I  back up my photos to Google Photos. There is a tool at bottom of the photos called Google lens , great if you don't know where the subject is or as LB explained what a flower is. I find it simpler to screenshot then use Google lens than her explanation.  As a random example here is a photo from yonks ago,  if tapped on Google lens it will tell me where the place is 😆. So for finding out cabin number I screen shot set sail pass Google lens reads the barcode. Screenshot_20240531_112142_Photos.thumb.jpg.a3be78f4858294aed18c2349e3e7a4b4.jpg

Thank you so much!!!

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 2:23 AM, little britain said:

Where you normally type a question in the grey Search box, touch the camera icon and it turns into a … camera… point it at a flower and it will tell you what the flower is. 
In this case point it at the barcode and it will translate the bar code into the cabin number 

IMG_3826.png

Thank you so much for information!

• Thanks 1

Update:  

still the same cabin showing up in the apple wallet trick that only sleeps 2 vs 3 pp we need

Received another email as to boarding docs with additional info on the invoice that I’m going to take as progress

it references both “a sofa couch bed”, which I’m taking as a pull out sofa bed.

Not sure what “Balc Suite NRD” means, in section under Cruise Fare???

IMG_5435.jpeg

6 minutes ago, keishashadow said:

Update:  

still the same cabin showing up in the apple wallet trick that only sleeps 2 vs 3 pp we need

Received another email as to boarding docs with additional info on the invoice that I’m going to take as progress

it references both “a sofa couch bed”, which I’m taking as a pull out sofa bed.

Not sure what “Balc Suite NRD” means, in section under Cruise Fare???

IMG_5435.jpeg

That is a prorated C&A balcony discount since it is only a 3 day cruise.  NRD is non-refundable deposit.

• Like 1

Well...

I just checked in for my July 26 segment of the Serenade of the Seas World Cruise (our first of two)...

Normally, we book balcony cabins or better...and we stay away from guarantees.  BUT, when we booked these, all they had to offer were insides or OV guarantees...So we took the OV guarantees.  

So, having now checked in, I did the barcode thing...and it looks like we've got #2018...Might be about as bad as one could get...There are only 14 OVs on Deck Two (Is the window even above the water line?).  The rest of the deck is crew space and the Med Center.  And, because of the Med Center, it appears there is access to only one set of elevators.

My wife said, "it's okay...we'll make the best of it"...I am hoping that since it still officially says "Guarantee" that it could still change...but I'm not counting on it.  Steerage, here I come!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

My wife said, "it's okay...we'll make the best of it"...I am hoping that since it still officially says "Guarantee" that it could still change...but I'm not counting on it.  Steerage, here I come!

Have you considered royal up bid?

if not, perhaps you will actually see the cabin number populate on your docs soon and could call in and try to switch to another cabin in the same category.

Probably no consolation to you, it could (possibly) be worse.  

Via bar code trick, 18 days out, we are still assigned the balcony for 2 pp, vs the 3 we need.  

Pretty sure it will be a hard sell to get my mr to agree to book a GTY cabin again

On 5/31/2024 at 6:24 AM, heatherb1958 said:

We do this when we take pictures all the time.  I also did this for my son's dog who was a rescue to see her breed plus plants and birds when I hike.  It's a great tool and wonderful on excursions.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Well...

I just checked in for my July 26 segment of the Serenade of the Seas World Cruise (our first of two)...

Normally, we book balcony cabins or better...and we stay away from guarantees.  BUT, when we booked these, all they had to offer were insides or OV guarantees...So we took the OV guarantees.  

So, having now checked in, I did the barcode thing...and it looks like we've got #2018...Might be about as bad as one could get...There are only 14 OVs on Deck Two (Is the window even above the water line?).  The rest of the deck is crew space and the Med Center.  And, because of the Med Center, it appears there is access to only one set of elevators.

We have stayed on decks 2,3 and 4 on Royal ships. 

Close to getting off the ship, when the lift arrives on your floor it will be empty 99% of the time ..

Port intensive cruise , you'll be fine.

Edited by heatherb1958

10 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

We have stayed on decks 2,3 and 4 on Royal ships. 

Close to getting off the ship, when the lift arrives on your floor it will be empty 99% of the time ..

Port intensive cruise , you'll be fine.

Well...the main reason I am unhappy is not so much the location (which, yes, doesn't thrill me)...It's with what Royal Caribbean categorizes as an "Ocean View" cabin.  Now, as a disclaimer, I have NOT yet seen these cabins.  In over 70 cruises, I've never cruised on Deck Two.  Our last three cruises have been on Celebrity--in Concierge class twice, then in Aqua class.  When I booked this--OVER 14 months prior to the sailing--OV Guarantees were all that was available.  You see, this was marketed first as part of the "World Cruise", then as larger segments...and then, 14 months ago, they released what was left in smaller segments--and we booked two,

And here's the rub:  I sort of assumed an "Ocean View" cabin would have a reasonable window.  We could live without the balcony for 15 nights ...or 24 with both legs...BUT a window--something with a nice view outside, something to let in some decent amount of natural light...that's what I expected.  This ship has something over 220 non-handicap OV cabins on OTHER decks...ALL with decent-sized windows...and 12 on Deck Two with tiny portholes.  The rest of Deck Two is all CREW cabins.

And THAT description is only from what I gather from research here and elsewhere...but it's a bit sketchy.  The tiny portholes are mentioned by some--on Radiance Class ships.  And ALL RCCL ships are NOT the same.  Some may have ordinary windows on Deck Two.  BUT, assuming my research is correct...and we paid for an OV and get a small porthole the size of a dinner plate that you'd have to stand on the bed to even see out and that allows in minimal light...well...that sucks!

12 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

we paid for an OV and get a small porthole the size of a dinner plate that you'd have to stand on the bed to even see out and that allows in minimal light...well...that sucks!

I'm sorry if this is harsh but you paid for an OV and were given an OV. If the OV's on deck 2 weren't acceptable to you then you shouldn't have booked an OV GTY.

The deck plan showing every OV on the ship is readily available. If you didn't realize these deck 2 OV cabins existed, that's on you.

@Bruin Steve- I feel your pain but GTY cabins are truly the luck of the draw.

If you go onto cruisedeckplans there are some photos of your exact cabin. I could only see one as I am not a member but it was of the view through the window which wasn't bad. We had a porthole on deck 2 very forward on Legend, long gone now, and it was like looking through a tube but we were fine. If the bed is  under the window we have it set up as twins so we can see out without having to stand or climb over the bed. I did once on Brilliance leave the bed as a double and physically pushed the bed sideways in the cabin so we had floor space under the window, room steward was OK with it, there was still room to make the bed. It worked for us.. My mantra is there is a solution to every problem and those were my solutions. Yours will possibly be throw more money at the problem and do Royal up. Good luck in finding your solution.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Well...the main reason I am unhappy is not so much the location (which, yes, doesn't thrill me)...It's with what Royal Caribbean categorizes as an "Ocean View" cabin.  Now, as a disclaimer, I have NOT yet seen these cabins.  In over 70 cruises, I've never cruised on Deck Two.  Our last three cruises have been on Celebrity--in Concierge class twice, then in Aqua class.  When I booked this--OVER 14 months prior to the sailing--OV Guarantees were all that was available.  You see, this was marketed first as part of the "World Cruise", then as larger segments...and then, 14 months ago, they released what was left in smaller segments--and we booked two,

And here's the rub:  I sort of assumed an "Ocean View" cabin would have a reasonable window.  We could live without the balcony for 15 nights ...or 24 with both legs...BUT a window--something with a nice view outside, something to let in some decent amount of natural light...that's what I expected.  This ship has something over 220 non-handicap OV cabins on OTHER decks...ALL with decent-sized windows...and 12 on Deck Two with tiny portholes.  The rest of Deck Two is all CREW cabins.

And THAT description is only from what I gather from research here and elsewhere...but it's a bit sketchy.  The tiny portholes are mentioned by some--on Radiance Class ships.  And ALL RCCL ships are NOT the same.  Some may have ordinary windows on Deck Two.  BUT, assuming my research is correct...and we paid for an OV and get a small porthole the size of a dinner plate that you'd have to stand on the bed to even see out and that allows in minimal light...well...that sucks!

If a person is at all picky about cabins and is contemplating booking a gty, that person should do their due diligence.  They need to carefully investigate the cabins in that category on that ship, picture the worst one for them (people have different personal preferences), and decide if they can be happy in that worst cabin at that price.  If not, they should not book the gty.  Only the guest can do this due diligence as only the guest knows what they like/dislike in a cabin.  Evidently you booked an OV gty on this cruise without doing your due diligence.  That’s on you; learn from it.  You had limited booking options and may have made the same choice even if the had researched the cabins if you really wanted to be on this leg if the WC.  

Do you have any RoyalUp offers?  If so, perhaps this barcode info will encourage you to up your bids.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

Getting back to me (original post)

Allure:  booked for 3 people, CB balcony, have seen via apple hack assignment for cabin for 2

Overnight, received new cruise docs/luggage tags for the same cabin the trick showed.  11696

stated for 2 pp occupancy.  It appeared to have 2 twins & sofa not a sofa bed

called in, they insist it has a single sleeper chair, not a sofa & “cabin will comfortably sleep 3 people”.

Not sitting right with me TBH.

I mentioned that i had concerns re lifeboat occupancy/being turned away at the pier.  Told, that would never happen.  I’ve read a few horror stories of oversold cruises

if there is a sleeper chair, fine.  Maybe they are hauling out the sofa and bringing in a chair for the sailing???

Just wanted to close out the drama

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, keishashadow said:

Getting back to me (original post)

Allure:  booked for 3 people, CB balcony, have seen via apple hack assignment for cabin for 2

Overnight, received new cruise docs/luggage tags for the same cabin the trick showed.  11696

stated for 2 pp occupancy.  It appeared to have 2 twins & sofa not a sofa bed

called in, they insist it has a single sleeper chair, not a sofa & “cabin will comfortably sleep 3 people”.

Not sitting right with me TBH.

I mentioned that i had concerns re lifeboat occupancy/being turned away at the pier.  Told, that would never happen.  I’ve read a few horror stories of oversold cruises

if there is a sleeper chair, fine.  Maybe they are hauling out the sofa and bringing in a chair for the sailing???

Just wanted to close out the drama

Fingers crossed it all goes right for you on the day and you have an amazing time to make up for all this pre-cruise anxiety. 🤞

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Fingers crossed it all goes right for you on the day and you have an amazing time to make up for all this pre-cruise anxiety. 🤞

Well said. +1

• Like 2