Oceania emergency number doesn't answer

21 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Time to remember that alliances work in both directions.

Let's say you transferred into Air France and now have points "stranded" there.  Just as you could use DL miles to fly on AF, you can use AF points to fly on DL.  Same with other carriers - you have moved into BA Avios - you can book AA flights with them.

Just need to think outside the box.

(Now, this doesn't solve the issue of bank points that are now in an airline program, rather than back to your Amex/Chase/etc account.   But it does make then at least usable)

Yes, but a lot of Bank Cards you can transfer points into miles.  Some cards give you more than a few airlines that you can transfer into.

4 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Yes, but a lot of Bank Cards you can transfer points into miles.  Some cards give you more than a few airlines that you can transfer into.

Of course.  That's what makes those points so valuable.  The issue is that once you move them from Amex/Chase/Citi/CapOne, you can't transfer them back.  So you need to find a way to use them in their "new home".

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 8:21 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Google Flights is a less robust version of ITA Matrix -particularly when it comes to more specific search parameters.

Interesting experience, just yesterday, with the ITA Matrix.  Those of us who do a lot of independent travel consider the ITA Matrix, one of the best (if not the best) ways to look at all the various airline options.  Yesterday we decided to look into booking a one-way fare to Tokyo (for a cruise).  When using the ITA Matrix we quickly realized that Turkish Air had an amazing Business Class deal.  We than thought, a few day stopover in Istanbul, might be fun so put in that option.  Turkish Air again came up with a terrific Business Class price of about $3400.  After deciding that we wanted to do this, I went to the Turkish Air site (it is often wise to book on an airline's own web site) only to discover that the same flights we had found on the ITA Matrix were over $500 cheaper on the Turkish Air site.  We quickly booked, but this was the first time we have ever seen an airline have a lower cost fare then what shows on the ITA Matrix.

By the way, for those who may not be aware, Turkish Air has some of the best Business Class in the world.

This brings us to the ongoing debate of booking air through a cruise line vs DIY.  Until COVID, we would often find amazing international air deals (especially for Business and First Class) through several cruise lines (CCL and RCI companies).  Post Covid, many of the offerings (on the cruise line sites) are either about the same or more costly than one can get by booking direct with various airlines.  We continue to suggest that when folks are looking at air for their cruise, they should spend some time looking at many options (through both the cruise line and on your own) and also check-out pricing on various airports.  Sometimes, just driving an extra an extra few hours to another airport can yield huge savings.  We also think that its worth a longer drive (to airports) if that can get you a non-stop flight!  Many of the worst airline problems (missed connections, lost luggage, etc) increase as the number of connections increases.  

Hank

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Interesting experience, just yesterday, with the ITA Matrix.  Those of us who do a lot of independent travel consider the ITA Matrix, one of the best (if not the best) ways to look at all the various airline options.  Yesterday we decided to look into booking a one-way fare to Tokyo (for a cruise).  When using the ITA Matrix we quickly realized that Turkish Air had an amazing Business Class deal.  We than thought, a few day stopover in Istanbul, might be fun so put in that option.  Turkish Air again came up with a terrific Business Class price of about $3400.  After deciding that we wanted to do this, I went to the Turkish Air site (it is often wise to book on an airline's own web site) only to discover that the same flights we had found on the ITA Matrix were over $500 cheaper on the Turkish Air site.  We quickly booked, but this was the first time we have ever seen an airline have a lower cost fare then what shows on the ITA Matrix.

By the way, for those who may not be aware, Turkish Air has some of the best Business Class in the world.

We just flew Turkish Airlines biz class for the first time from Paris to Cape Town earlier this week - absolutely incredible! And the price was the lowest of any airline at the time for biz class on that route. I only wish I had known about the free stay in Istanbul that's included when I booked the tickets eons ago. But yes, wholeheartedly recommend Turkish Air - best biz class we've traveled to date.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

This brings us to the ongoing debate of booking air through a cruise line vs DIY.  Until COVID, we would often find amazing international air deals (especially for Business and First Class) through several cruise lines (CCL and RCI companies).  Post Covid, many of the offerings (on the cruise line sites) are either about the same or more costly than one can get by booking direct with various airlines.  We continue to suggest that when folks are looking at air for their cruise, they should spend some time looking at many options (through both the cruise line and on your own) and also check-out pricing on various airports.  Sometimes, just driving an extra an extra few hours to another airport can yield huge savings.  We also think that its worth a longer drive (to airports) if that can get you a non-stop flight!  Many of the worst airline problems (missed connections, lost luggage, etc) increase as the number of connections increases.  

Hank

I have had something similar happen when pricing Premium Economy and have not figured out if I have bad entries (I tried many permutations) or if it is something else. The price (especially on United) is often significantly less on the airline's website. I use ITAMatrix to see who has relevant flights, then check their websites directly for actual prices.

There are many benefits to booking air directly with the airline. One of my favorites is to book a less-than-optimal arrival/departure time or duration due to significant price difference, then change to a better one (of my choice) at no cost when the airline changes/cancels the originally booked flight(s). No change fees and price guarantees (on the airlines I have used) has also been handy.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 12:06 PM, Redtravel said:

Called the 24/7 emergency number. Message was to call back during regular business hours.  

How silly to think that a 24/7 emergency number would be answered when there is an emergency outside of business hours. Probably just one more of the cost reductions or they have a new contractor and never changed to the new number.  Only guesses, but it is incomprehensible how a company who prides themselves on the upscale/service oriented product cant provide some of the simplest things.   

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We haven't been to Istanbul since the new terminal but before - and I'm betting now - Turkish Airways had an INCREDIBLE business lounge.

31 minutes ago, clo said:

We haven't been to Istanbul since the new terminal but before - and I'm betting now - Turkish Airways had an INCREDIBLE business lounge.

The irony is that although we have been to Istanbul, for a few cruises, this time it will just be a few days land (stopover) on the long way round to Tokyo.  We will not even see the new port.  Over the years we have posted that when folks embark/disembark at a very distant port, there are sometimes decent stopover options (often for no additional airfare) that can get folks to terrific places for very little money.  Ireland. Reykjavik , and various European cities are often good options.  With airfares continuing to climb, taking advantage of stopovers is a great way to maximize the value of air.

Hank

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

….After deciding that we wanted to do this, I went to the Turkish Air site (it is often wise to book on an airline's own web site) only to discover that the same flights we had found on the ITA Matrix were over $500 cheaper on the Turkish Air site.  We quickly booked, but this was the first time we have ever seen an airline have a lower cost fare then what shows on the ITA Matrix.

Once ITA Matrix gives us a framework of availability, I always call the preferred airline(s) directly. And, there are occasions when their prices will be significantly better than what was posted on ITA Matrix. One reason is that legs or all of a desired flight itinerary may be subject to a “flash sale.” I’ve seen this with Lufthansa connecting short hauls in Europe.

Also worth mentioning is also calling the airline direct to double check their own website pricing and routings. With large carriers like United, a web search without specific input (e.g., time span for departures) may not yield all flights during that span. Always call and ask the rep what s/he finds for your preferred itinerary specs (and otherwise if worth the $ savings).

Stellar phone customer service, great accommodations for flight changes, Star Alliance hubs, best app in the travel industry, etc. are why United is our preferred carrier.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The irony is that although we have been to Istanbul, for a few cruises, this time it will just be a few days land (stopover) on the long way round to Tokyo.  We will not even see the new port.  Over the years we have posted that when folks embark/disembark at a very distant port, there are sometimes decent stopover options (often for no additional airfare) that can get folks to terrific places for very little money.  Ireland. Reykjavik , and various European cities are often good options.  With airfares continuing to climb, taking advantage of stopovers is a great way to maximize the value of air.

Hank

Here's The Points Guy's review of the lounge.

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/turkish-airlines-business-lounge-istanbul/

36 minutes ago, clo said:

We have been in the new lounges (both of them) on a previous trip (layover on our way to ATH) and found the lounges truly expansive and terrific.  They also have a pretty nice (but often overcrowded) lounge at IAD (our departure airport).  We think that Turkish Air does a good job, onboard, with their business class and they provide better cuisine (and service) then we have found on AA and United (we will again be in on a Polaris Class flight in a few months).  Turkish Air actually creates some fun in Business Class with their "Chef" (essentially a flight attendant dressed in chefs outfit) and cart service (no trays....just plates placed on a table cloth.  

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have been in the new lounges (both of them) on a previous trip (layover on our way to ATH) and found the lounges truly expansive and terrific.  They also have a pretty nice (but often overcrowded) lounge at IAD (our departure airport).  We think that Turkish Air does a good job, onboard, with their business class and they provide better cuisine (and service) then we have found on AA and United (we will again be in on a Polaris Class flight in a few months).  Turkish Air actually creates some fun in Business Class with their "Chef" (essentially a flight attendant dressed in chefs outfit) and cart service (no trays....just plates placed on a table cloth.  

Hank

Sorry. From what you wrote it didn't seem like you'd been to that terminal/lounge.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Sorry. From what you wrote it didn't seem like you'd been to that terminal/lounge.

No need to be sorry, it is good info to post as a reminder (to me) and a heads-up to others looking for upcoming options.  I will also mention how Turkish Air, once "blew my mind" with service.  We had flown in from IAD (Dulles) to IST and had a couple of hours before our connecting flight to ATH (this is when we checked-out the lounges).  The flight to Athens was quite short (a little over an hour) but, for whatever reason, Turkish Air had a huge B777 flying the route.  We were the only passengers in Biz Class and we expected an up/down flight with no service.  Nope!  As soon as we were airborn the flight attendants were at our seats with fresh fruit juices and Champagne (it was breakfast time).  They followed-up with a multi-course hot breakfast (we were not hungry having eaten in the lounge...but ate anyway).  Hard to imagine that kind of thing happening on any US airline.

Hank

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hard to imagine that kind of thing happening on any US airline.

I don't know this but I'm guessing, like many other non-US airlines, that they're supported by their governments. But I'm still glad they're a Star Alliance partner 🙂

41 minutes ago, clo said:

I don't know this but I'm guessing, like many other non-US airlines, that they're supported by their governments. But I'm still glad they're a Star Alliance partner 🙂

Difficult to know the level of government support, but I suspect it is more rather than less :).  I have little loyalty to any airline (or cruise line) and simply look for the best value/quality/service.  At the moment, Turkish AIr  has much to offer and their business class pricing is usually well below many other airlines.  Along with China Air (the Taiwan airline), we often find it offers the best overall value. 

DW and I also look for opportunities to return to Istanbul, since it is a city/country that we always enjoy.  Kind of interesting that we plan on flying thousands of miles, out of the way, to visit Istanbul, but why not?  Tis part of the fun of independent travel.

Hank

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

for whatever reason, Turkish Air had a huge B777 flying the route.

Two reasons.  One is fleet utilization - an aircraft makes no money while sitting on the ground.  Which is one reason flights to deep South America are often pricey - because the aircraft sits for half a day in EZE, GIG, or SCL.  The second is that there is usually enough demand to support aircraft size.   I suspect lots of ATH-IST traffic connecting out at that time of day.  And again, it's about overall demand, not just one day.

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Difficult to know the level of government support, but I suspect it is more rather than less :).  I have little loyalty to any airline (or cruise line) and simply look for the best value/quality/service.  At the moment, Turkish AIr  has much to offer and their business class pricing is usually well below many other airlines.  Along with China Air (the Taiwan airline), we often find it offers the best overall value.

China Airlines is a solid carrier with a really nice inflight product.  Serving both Kavalan (high end Taiwanese whisky) and JW Blue in business.  Good food as well, plus excellent seating.

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Kind of interesting that we plan on flying thousands of miles, out of the way, to visit Istanbul, but why not?  Tis part of the fun of independent travel.

If folks have the time, the free stopover programs on various airlines are almost always a great way to stretch a vacation to extra cities.  And for a better experience, I will gladly fly some extra distance.

Granted, if you don't have the time....

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

China Airlines is a solid carrier with a really nice inflight product.  Serving both Kavalan (high end Taiwanese whisky) and JW Blue in business.  Good food as well, plus excellent seating.

I couldn't resist reposting part of your response.  When we last cruised on China Airlines (I think it was a 777 hardware on a flight from JFK to Taipei) we took off shortly after midnight.  After enjoying their late night dinner, I happened to stroll back to their Business Class snack bar area and noticed an unopened bottle of JW Blue.  I asked the flight attendant for a pour and she remarked that the whole bottle was at my beck and call (apparently there were no other scotch drinkers).  Although I did not drink the entire bottle, it did help justify the cost of the ticket :).

For those other readers, or this post, I would emphasize that China Airlines is a Taipei-based company and should not be confused with Air China, the main carrier of the Peoples Republic of China.  

Hank

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

For those other readers, or this post, I would emphasize that China Airlines is a Taipei-based company and should not be confused with Air China, the main carrier of the Peoples Republic of China.

Two airlines that are night and day.   Taiwan has three excellent carriers - China Airlines, EVA, and Starlux.  I'd gladly fly any one of them in a heartbeat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We’ll- sorta: it does cost some time and energy in learning how best to use it. 😎

I consider that to be a well-spent investment that has paid back returns far better than any I've gotten in the market.

Thanks for good suggestions.  I travel often and usually book my own air. That is not my issue.  My issue is that having booked air with Oceania, the 24/7 emergency number doesn’t answer.  You may ask why I booked O air.  I am now on Marina.  I booked it last summer when they offered the cruise at a very good price. The catcher was that the Marina would be in dry dock before the sailing.  Knowing ahead that sometimes ships get delayed in dry dock, we might get the cruise cancelled. Keeping this in mind, we booked O air. If the trip got cancelled, we get refund from O and didn’t get stuck with airfare credits.  

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 5:01 AM, Hlitner said:

Hank

I had the exact opposite experience. I was recently searching for some flights USA-Europe, and found ITA (I still use oldmatrix) giving me prices for Turkish that simply weren't weren't available to purchase*, specifically showing J fares both ways. ExpertFlyer shows J1 for the outbound, but J0 for the return, which matches what the TK website shows (i.e. the outbound would be J, the return fare bucket was K). TK website pricing was $3800 vs ITA showing $3150.

*I do have "Only show flights and prices with available seats" checked.

27 minutes ago, JYDCruise said:

I had the exact opposite experience. I was recently searching for some flights USA-Europe, and found ITA (I still use oldmatrix) giving me prices for Turkish that simply weren't weren't available to purchase*, specifically showing J fares both ways. ExpertFlyer shows J1 for the outbound, but J0 for the return, which matches what the TK website shows (i.e. the outbound would be J, the return fare bucket was K). TK website pricing was $3800 vs ITA showing $3150.

*I do have "Only show flights and prices with available seats" checked.

The thing about the ITA fares is they are meaningless unless you can actually find a booking site that will actually let you purchase at the ITA price.  Yes, I do realize that the ITA Matrix will give you the fare codes, and theory you should be able to get the same fare using those codes.  In practice, not so easy.   I was truly shocked to be able to get business class, one way, from IAD to IST and later (with a multi flight fare) on to HND for under $3000.  Those are two separate 11+ hour flights.

While we like the ITA Matrix as a starting point, when trying to model different fare options, it is not the "end all" solution.  These days, shopping for decent international air fares has become real tricky, made even crazier by fares constantly changing.  A friend, who flies a lot more than me, preaches that if you find a good deal...jump on it ASAP, because it may disappear within seconds.

Hank

Hank

• Thanks 1