Increased costs

Our last cruise was the week before covid shut everything down.  We have been looking for a new one, it's about time.  I don't remember exactly how much we paid for our last cruise, a 7 night from FL to caribbean but it looks like cost of cruises have risen quite a bit.  Is it my poor memory or have things gone up that much?

• Like 1

Well...the cost of things have gone up. Food, fuel, labor costs. 

And, there is, of course, the cost of the debt the cruise lines needed to stay afloat (no pun intended) during a 15 or 16 month total shutdown, with no income, but millions in expenses. That comes to about $32 billion in the case of Carnival Corp alone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In a word, yes.  

We had to go on a cross-country road trip in March and April of 2000…….at one town, we bought gas for $1.10 a gallon.  

Simple supply and demand :(.  It’s the American Way 😉.

20 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

In a word, yes.  

We had to go on a cross-country road trip in March and April of 2000…….at one town, we bought gas for $1.10 a gallon.  

Simple supply and demand :(.  It’s the American Way 😉.

Yes you could get gas at low cost then  .back in the 50s I bought a gal of gas for .19 cents  .what gets in the way is inflation . Now my gas in San diego county at the Carlsbad Costco is $4.86 per gal    But gas prices van be lowered by opening up huge deposits in Alaska & elsewhere in the USA  along with more pike lines to get it to the refineries the quickest . 

will we see $1.10 a pal I doubt it but I like to see $2.50 per gas; once again & we live in tax high California 

• Like 1

It was clear that prices were going to go up everywhere so we bought cruises for 2 years out to lock in the old rates.  Now I have a twofold strategy, I either buy when it is first published to take advantage of the early booking bonus and the early Mariner bonus or I wait until it is close to sailing and try to get a last minute deal.  Worse than the cruise fares are the international airfares. 

• Like 9

I concur.  I've been doing a lot of pricing lately at the suite/penthouse levels.  HAL's getting a bit big for their britches, especially after the gutting of the musical entertainment. 

On Great Bear Rainforest for Fall 2025, Neptunes are going for an exorbitant amount on a 7 day from Seattle sailing no further than Ketchikan and for just a little bit more I could have a Pinnacle on a regular "old hat" I guess Alaska trip.  Research brought about some more interesting comparisons.  For example, for the same price range, an ocean view on Oceania 10 day Alaska could be had. And the biggest surprise was grill class on a Cunard 10 day (which are embarking in Seattle next year) were equivalent or less if you averaged it out. I.E. You pay a bit more but you get 3 extra days.  I went with the PS, because the one good thing HAL has going for it are the smaller deposits compared to what the luxury lines want, I think Cunard grill class was at least 25%.  And no way am I going with a guarantee on a Cunard Penthouse....for that kind of money I expect to choose my own stateroom.  

And I know HAL will charge way more on rare/new itineraries, but it's not new new.  Celebrity used to do Nanaimo/PR runs from Seattle for years, although they were mostly 3/4 day booze cruises.

Oh and I kind of miss the days when most people paid more or less the same for the same category, cruise pricing nowadays is putting the airlines to shame. 

• Like 2

Increased prices are no surprise to most.  Post Covid sailings were deeply discounted to get people back into sailing and we enjoyed some great deals back then.  Now, with the ships filling up AND inflation high, of course the pricing is way up, especially when compared to just post Covid.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

But gas prices van be lowered by opening up huge deposits in Alaska & elsewhere in the USA  along with more pike lines to get it to the refineries the quickest . 

Drill baby drill!  Gas prices near my home in Alaska 4.86.  Out on Kodiak price was $5.15.  

• Like 4

I hear you about higher prices.....It's not just cruising...obviously.....Here is a stat based on when you last cruised:

• Inflation spiked to the highest level in over 40 years. Despite recent moderation, consumer prices are up nearly 18% overall since January 2021. Gasoline is up 29%.

We still find cruising with HAL a much better value than any other type of vacation.  I scrutinize cruise prices and try to scoop up what I think is a good value.....I base a "good deal" on paying ~$100 a night per person (cruise fare).

Good luck searching.....

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Mary229 said:

It was clear that prices were going to go up everywhere so we bought cruises for 2 years out to lock in the old rates.  Now I have a twofold strategy, I either buy when it is first published to take advantage of the early booking bonus and the early Mariner bonus or I wait until it is close to sailing and try to get a last minute deal.  Worse than the cruise fares are the international airfares. 

Not only that Mary but ,if we  were flying today I would only want to fly in a airbus not a Boeing plane because of what is going on at Boeing these days 

• Like 2

The main problem today imo is having a lot of monies tied up into  long term deposits . No earnings on that money & what are the guarantees the cruise line is going to be  un business come time to cruise . I hope that crosses peoples minds . It is not just the higher cabin prices but ,the inherent risk  factor .  

Very recently Jamie Diamond CEO of JPMorgan chase came out with words like 8 % in interest is not out of the question . Should that occur what would that do to debt laden cruise lines ?

The best advice, I think, is to book as early as you can.  We made a deposit on a cruise that's almost two years out and received some extra perks.  Only our 2nd cruise on HA.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

The main problem today imo is having a lot of monies tied up into  long term deposits . No earnings on that money & what are the guarantees the cruise line is going to be  un business come time to cruise . I hope that crosses peoples minds . It is not just the higher cabin prices but ,the inherent risk  factor .  

Very recently Jamie Diamond CEO of JPMorgan chase came out with words like 8 % in interest is not out of the question . Should that occur what would that do to debt laden cruise lines ?

I think they have locked in their rates.  

40 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think they have locked in their rates.  

Mary CCL is trying to buy down their higher interest rates with cash flows . On other words some of their debt is  now at a lower interest rate  . However , that does not mean if rates increase what will happen . It is imo  truly a craps shoot . If the deposits were placed in a neutral escrow it be safe but CCL uses those deposits in advance of you or I taking a booked cruise . Seems to me it is one sided  & that side is with CCL  . It is what it is if any one wants to nook out a  cruise . Safety is only if  booking  last minute ;however ,the downside to that is the cabin selection . In our case we must book early because we must have a Handicap cabin  .so we get stuck waiting it out . 

There is a big difference in taking land vacations unless it is a all inclusive . Land vacations you are not tying up large dollar amounts for a long period of time . 

I see the risk not in price increases as much as I see more risk in the high deposits HAL requires . when they do a $1 deposit for a day , that is vhump change but when we shel out $1200 or $700 for deposits . We have one cruise Jan 2026  with a $1200 deposit  .One cruise is now completely paid for & one 7 day cruise we have $700 deposit . The only way around that is toi  book on board a ship with the $25 deposits for a future cruise

18 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Yes you could get gas at low cost then  .back in the 50s I bought a gal of gas for .19 cents  .what gets in the way is inflation . Now my gas in San diego county at the Carlsbad Costco is $4.86 per gal    But gas prices van be lowered by opening up huge deposits in Alaska & elsewhere in the USA  along with more pike lines to get it to the refineries the quickest . 

will we see $1.10 a pal I doubt it but I like to see $2.50 per gas; once again & we live in tax high California 

I remember those days too.  You got your gas pumped for you, your windshield washed, your oil checked, a smoky grey drinking glass or white handled steak knife and green or blue chip stamps.  Not surprisingly cruise prices have gone up also and perks have all but disappeared.

Definitely prices are still high.

The debt issue will remain for a while, and employment costs are still up, but with inflation falling to very close to historic levels for the last several months, how long they will try to use that excuse for big price increases remains to be seen.

We are finding that we can be much more effective $$$ wise by doing land trips than we can by doing cruises (although we still have 7 booked at what we consider somewhat reasonable pricing).

42 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Mary CCL is trying to buy down their higher interest rates with cash flows . On other words some of their debt is  now at a lower interest rate  . However , that does not mean if rates increase what will happen . It is imo  truly a craps shoot . If the deposits were placed in a neutral escrow it be safe but CCL uses those deposits in advance of you or I taking a booked cruise . Seems to me it is one sided  & that side is with CCL  . It is what it is if any one wants to nook out a  cruise . Safety is only if  booking  last minute ;however ,the downside to that is the cabin selection . In our case we must book early because we must have a Handicap cabin  .so we get stuck waiting it out . 

There is a big difference in taking land vacations unless it is an all inclusive . Land vacations you are not tying up large dollar amounts for a long period of time . 

Hey are paying down as fast as they can and good for them, they could behave like Washington and buy more junk instead but that doesn’t alter the terms of the debt 

as to you buying big deposits we keep telling you to buy FCDs then you never have a large sums of money with the cruise line. I never pay more than $600 deposit for both of us

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Hey are paying down as fast as they can and good for them, they could behave like Washington and buy more junk instead but that doesn’t alter the terms of the debt 

as to you buying big deposits we keep telling you to buy FCDs then you never have a large sums of money with the cruise line. I never pay more than $600 deposit for both of us

Yes future cruise deposits are the way to go for sure ;however ,you can only buy them when on the ship  .We do understand we can cancel them at any time if we are not booking a cruise & get back the money . So yes you are correct the down side is far less with FCDs  

Here imo is the best way to save  .when on a cruise get the future cruise deposits then book a cruise that is in the early bonus area of time  plus the Mariners bonus ,AARP on board credit  & any other OBC that a person can qualify , Seems to me that is truly the best way to get better pricing . Then ise 100 share od CCL stock to get more on board credit . 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Here imo is the best way to save  .when on a cruise get the future cruise deposits then book a cruise that is in the early bonus area of time  plus the Mariners bonus ,AARP on board credit  & any other OBC that a person can qualify , Seems to me that is truly the best way to get better pricing . Then ise 100 share od CCL stock to get more on board credit . 

That is what I do.  The. I pay with Aarp gift cards to a comfortable level.  All other spending is AARP gift cards.  That’s what you do when money is inflating, find ways to save and pay as late as possible because dollars are less valuable with each passing day.  Buy with the cheapest dollars you can

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is what I do.  The. I pay with Aarp gift cards to a comfortable level.  All other spending is AARP gift cards.  That’s what you do when money is inflating, find ways to save and pay as late as possible because dollars are less valuable with each passing day.  Buy with the cheapest dollars you can

There are potential hazards  with the AARP gift cards ;such as not being able to use them because of illness ie  . Additionally ,the AARP gift cards that once were a 10 % savings now are only 8& savings .Then adain ,there is no savings & a potentail big loss if a person finds they can no longer use those AARP gift cards  .As people get older they need to look at the possibility of illness that prevents them from cruising & thus using AARP gift cards which are non refundable . Every thing we all do from time to time has a down side not just upside 

21 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

There are potential hazards  with the AARP gift cards ;such as not being able to use them because of illness ie  . Additionally ,the AARP gift cards that once were a 10 % savings now are only 8& savings .Then adain ,there is no savings & a potentail big loss if a person finds they can no longer use those AARP gift cards  .As people get older they need to look at the possibility of illness that prevents them from cruising & thus using AARP gift cards which are non refundable . Every thing we all do from time to time has a down side not just upside 

If you wait until the very last minute to pay for a cruise you alleviate all of these issues.  I do not pay a bill until it is due.  I assume 60 days out I have visibility and I am willing to lose a little money.  I live differently than most people so I would not expect others to do as I do. Hey, I went 30 years with no health insurance and sleep well every night.  

• Like 1