FYI Upgrade

momrox1

Even though I've been on many cruises I always have questions about guarantee cabins as I get closer to sail date and keep checking like a lunatic:)  So here is our story.  We have two guarantee inside cabins..a double and a single.  I did not bid for the upgrade as I am the single and it would cost me double. Neither did my travel mates.  We are one week out exactly when I looked and saw both cabins assigned to  a Balcony cat BE.  To say we are thrilled is not an exaggeration lol  Just for info sake I am elite and my travelling friends are Platinum.  I did speak to Princess about something else and asked how they go about it.  She said it's random but another agent told me they probably oversold the insides and we ended up with balconies.  And it didn't hurt that we had chosen a guarantee cabin allowing us to be moved anywhere.  

• Like 11

You made me laugh! 😆 

We rarely do GTY cabins, but when we have booked them, I check every day too!  😝 

You really lucked out!  Congrats!

I don’t think it’s at random, probably more to do with their inventory of rooms, as they are working GTY and Bidding to UG, etc.  

We had never gotten an upgrade. On our last cruise we booked an inside and once I'd jumped through all the hoops, I didn't check our cabin assignment again. When we got to the port we had been upgraded to a balcony at mid-ship. That was a nice surprise.

• Like 5

Wow!!!!   Nice to hear!

These gratuitous upgrades are probably few and far between, with the bidding system in place.

We are booked on a cruise where all of the lower categories are very heavily booked, well before final payment...  but all of higher categories are sitting unspoken for.  Probably going to be a lot of shifting around, trying to move people up to re-sell the lower categories at the current high fare.

I like the regular balcony location that we have booked...  but a mini would be nice.

Some might even get the chance to get the new Sanctuary Class mini's at a more reasonable rate.  It will be interesting to see what bidding starts at for these.

Wow! What an excellent upgrade treat!! Congratulations!! I suspect your GTY helped get you that upgrade because they oversold the inside category. I've never had that kind of luck. Go buy a lottery ticket (it's a waste of a few bucks!), but with that luck, I would totally do it! lol

Enjoy your cruise!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Do you like your new cabin assignment?

If there are any other BE showing available, you might try to request a switch.

Yes it's wonderful although we're 3 decks apart we'll  manage 😁 I called Princess...totally sold out

7 hours ago, jennybenny said:

. Go buy a lottery ticket (it's a waste of a few bucks!), but with that luck, I would totally do it! lol

Enjoy your cruise!! 

Lol My thoughts exactly!

• Like 1

When I checked with my CVP about moving our cabin to Port instead of the Starboard we booked (I made a mistake in figuring out the direction of travel around NZ) she said that all the cabins on the port side were sold out but suggested that I check with Guest Services when we board since sometimes folks cancel at the last minute and cabins open up.  I'm thinking you or your friends could do the same thing when you board and possibly be moved to a nearer cabin.  The worst that will happen is that they will say no.  

• Thanks 1

I booked a guarantee inside two days ago for a cruise that's in 16 days. I'll be checking two or three times a day until I get a cabin assignment. My last cruise was 10 days in an inside cabin, and I had a great time. But an upgrade to an ocean view or balcony would be great. I received a great upgrade to an oceanview from an inside guarantee the last time I sailed on the Island Princess 

Princess has already sent me two emails about the availability of bidding for an upgrade. Like you, I'm booked as a solo and don't want to pay double for that opportunity. It was $170 for me to bid for an upgrade to an obstructed view cabin and $720 to bid for an upgrade to a balcony. 

4 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I booked a guarantee inside two days ago for a cruise that's in 16 days. I'll be checking two or three times a day until I get a cabin assignment. 

This is encouraging! Booked first ever GTY for a cove balcony (we leave Saturday) and still no stateroom assignment...maybe we'll get upgraded! But honestly would be happy no matter what. I've gotten so many emails about bidding to upgrade but...not worth the $ to me haha so I'd rather wait to see what we're given (if anything). If it's free it's for me! 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 11:34 AM, mofurd said:

This is encouraging! Booked first ever GTY for a cove balcony (we leave Saturday) and still no stateroom assignment...maybe we'll get upgraded! But honestly would be happy no matter what. I've gotten so many emails about bidding to upgrade but...not worth the $ to me haha so I'd rather wait to see what we're given (if anything). If it's free it's for me! 

Upgrades now without bidding are very rare.  Last minute room assignments are more common now too.  Hope you get a great cabin.

On 5/24/2024 at 11:39 AM, Cruisintimer said:

Upgrades now without bidding are very rare.  Last minute room assignments are more common now too.  Hope you get a great cabin.

Thanks! Ended up getting an upgrade from cove balcony to deluxe balcony. Found out just a couple days before leaving home to fly out. Technically I guess it would be a 5-6 category upgrade within the same cabin type of being a balcony. Can’t remember the category letters/numbers offhand. 

• Like 1

That's great!  Sailing single, I choose my cabin as I'm picky about location.  I had one upgrade on a transatlantic from inside to an obstructed balcony.  Last minute, didn't find out until I got to the port in Barcelona,  Fortunately my inside was on Emerald deck, too.