Can air tiles/tags be used on carnival?

I believe air tags need an Iphone nearby to get it's location, does your son have an Iphone?  If he does, you can use find my Iphone instead of the air tag.  If not, you are at the mercy of someone having an Iphone turned on nearby that is not in airplane mode or has a wifi package for the location to be updated.

Also, I would think you would need an internet package unless you are willing to spend money on data usage (which can get expensive since air tags are constantly looking to update location)

Also, if it does work, it may show you approx location on the ship (Aft, Mid Forward) but it would not show you on which floor he is on

I had some Smart Tags on my kids' backpacks and the tags didn't work. Someone told me cell phones in the area had to be broadcasting. Since, most people put their cell phones on Airplane mode while cruising, their phones are not broadcasting.

No. Even if it has the necessary internet access, it will show the location as a dot on the ocean. There is no ship for reference.

We had air tags in our luggage. They most often showed as in the last port we were in. We had to turn off notifications that we left them behind.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I believe @TxTeach79 is using an apple airtag on his live for his luggage and he's had problems with it telling him it was left behind when it wasn't. 

yeah, I love my AirTag, it’s great, but it’s not insanely precise. It’ll tell you roughly where it is, and if you lose luggage or whatever it’s a godsend, but exactly where someone is on a ship, I wouldn’t use it for that 

• Like 2

While I don't know how old your son is - here is also a suggestion:  get him a muster bracelet at guest services that the children/infants wear.  In case he is separated in an emergency situation the crew can get him safely to his station.  We did that with my special needs dd until she was able to remember and communicate where the cabin/muster station was, or know her way around the ship.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pe4all said:

While I don't know how old your son is - here is also a suggestion:  get him a muster bracelet at guest services that the children/infants wear.  In case he is separated in an emergency situation the crew can get him safely to his station.  We did that with my special needs dd until she was able to remember and communicate where the cabin/muster station was, or know her way around the ship.  

This answer!

I have cruised on carnival quite a few times with a special needs sister. Once we almost got separated after the theater. We were waiting in a crowd and a elevator came the opposite direction and she just followed people onto the elevator. I feel so lucky I saw it just in time to rech in and grab her and pull her out.

One thing we finally started doing was I could lewve her sitting in the buffet and tell her not to leave. When I would go back to the buffet she always seemed to draw a crowd of helpful older ladies who would sit and talk to her and get her food and this worked out best for us.

I tried to teach her even and odd numbers and descending and ascending so she might learn how to find our cabin but my  om said I was being mean to her and made me stop. I was just scared. I'd told her if we got separated to ask someone to take her to guest services, but I'm not sure she could remember to do this.

Sometimes you just have to depend on the kindness of other pax. Not all disabilities are 100% obvious to the naked eye.

I think it would be awesome if cruiselines camemup with some mind of tracking device or way to cruise with pax who dont have the same IQ as people assume. They might look normal but maybe arent. Royal closes the buffet between meals. Carnival doesnt which was a big plus for me. There is a reason I made diamond on carnival and took so many carnival cruises. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I have cruised on carnival quite a few times with a special needs sister. Once we almost got separated after the theater. We were waiting in a crowd and a elevator came the opposite direction and she just followed people onto the elevator. I feel so lucky I saw it just in time to rech in and grab her and pull her out.

One thing we finally started doing was I could lewve her sitting in the buffet and tell her not to leave. When I would go back to the buffet she always seemed to draw a crowd of helpful older ladies who would sit and talk to her and get her food and this worked out best for us.

I tried to teach her even and odd numbers and descending and ascending so she might learn how to find our cabin but my  om said I was being mean to her and made me stop. I was just scared. I'd told her if we got separated to ask someone to take her to guest services, but I'm not sure she could remember to do this.

Sometimes you just have to depend on the kindness of other pax. Not all disabilities are 100% obvious to the naked eye.

I think it would be awesome if cruiselines camemup with some mind of tracking device or way to cruise with pax who dont have the same IQ as people assume. They might look normal but maybe arent. Royal closes the buffet between meals. Carnival doesnt which was a big plus for me. There is a reason I made diamond on carnival and took so many carnival cruises. 

My special needs dd35 has been on each and every CCL cruise (and in fact - EVERY cruise and vacay) with us.  I would like to think she is a "seasoned traveler" but she also has hidden disabilities and looks "normal."   I am not sure how she would react in an emergency, though she always gives us the "correct" answers on what she would do. (we drill her on where emergency exits are wherever we are, where to meet if separated, etc.)  We stick with CCL because they are way more patient with her than we are sometimes - for example - in the dining room when she takes extra time to make a decision on what to eat.  Every waiter, steward and crew member we have ever met has been wonderful with her. Cruising has opened up a whole new world of food to her as a person who only ate chicken nuggets and fries and fish cakes until she started cruising at age 7. She also can remember our cabin number with ease, and often leads me there, as I have a nasty habit of walking the wrong way to our cabin - lol.  

And for those who use airports in the U.S. - most know what the "Sunflower Lanyard" is, and personnel are trained to lend a helping hand to those with hidden disabilities. We do not use the card that comes with it - just the lanyard.  Can also order them on Amazon.

https://hdsunflower.com/us/

Edited by pe4all

14 hours ago, cruisin from vegas said:

I use my AirTags in my luggage..they track on the ship if you have an internet package, which I always buy. With my phone on airplane mode, signed into the internet using a carnival WiFi package 

While I am not sure, I believe the way that air tags work is to utilize signals not just from your phone but others.  That said, in most situations, there will be enough on to reflect signals in most places on the ship.