"Sorry you cancelled reservation" - but we had none! ??

We just received an email, and it looks to be legitimate (not obviously from some bad actor), asking for "feedback":

"

We're sorry that you have decided to cancel your reservation with Oceania Cruises. We understand that your time is valuable and would greatly appreciate it if you would take less than two minutes to complete this two-question survey questions regarding your reason for cancellation.

START NOW

THE FINEST CUISINE AT SEA®. CURATED TRAVEL EXPERIENCES. SMALL SHIP LUXURY. 

"

Except... we haven't had a reservation with Oceania for several years.  We haven't had any cruise reservation since our last cruise in Nov/Dec, 2019.

We haven't re-started our globetrotting; we've barely made it to the supermarket!

[I was critically ill, carried off our flight home in Dec, 2019. Not Covid; that wasn't a well known thing then. But it turned out to be a BAD case of RSV, and I am still (!!) recovering.]

Is this perhaps an email with some malware (I did NOT click to "start now", obviously.

Or are their records soooo screwed up?

Inquiring minds, etc...

Thanks.

GC

We also received email for survey about booking experience and the same 404 error? Received surveys in the past and never had issue with clicking on survey.  Believe the last one was about Oceania Club rewards. 

image.thumb.png.5a73d0beb463105ea8661680b329bbe9.png

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

We just received an email, and it looks to be legitimate (not obviously from some bad actor), asking for "feedback":

"

We're sorry that you have decided to cancel your reservation with Oceania Cruises. We understand that your time is valuable and would greatly appreciate it if you would take less than two minutes to complete this two-question survey questions regarding your reason for cancellation.

START NOW

THE FINEST CUISINE AT SEA®. CURATED TRAVEL EXPERIENCES. SMALL SHIP LUXURY. 

"

Except... we haven't had a reservation with Oceania for several years.  We haven't had any cruise reservation since our last cruise in Nov/Dec, 2019.

We haven't re-started our globetrotting; we've barely made it to the supermarket!

[I was critically ill, carried off our flight home in Dec, 2019. Not Covid; that wasn't a well known thing then. But it turned out to be a BAD case of RSV, and I am still (!!) recovering.]

Is this perhaps an email with some malware (I did NOT click to "start now", obviously.

Or are their records soooo screwed up?

Inquiring minds, etc...

Thanks.

GC

Sorry to hear that you have been unwell and hope you are on the mend soon.

• Haha 1

The address doesn't look quite right but don't know why. Obviously I got one regarding our upcoming cruise and doing a quick survey on their service. I don't think this is legit and simply a glitch with Oceania's system. 

Either cruise critic or oceania web site appears to have been hacked as someone has gained access to email addresses in order to target all the individuals posting here.

Might be interesting to see if other cruise line patrons have received similar emails today. If thats the case with Carnival etc (non-NCL related lines) then it is likely cruise critic is being used to source the targeting info. If its just NCL and or Oceania patrons then I would bet thats where the email info breach is coming from.

Thank heavens others got this survey as well. I was confused when the error came up.  We should be able to do our online checkin within a few weeks. Hope we have no issues doing that. And, it’s not the weekend yet.

• Haha 1

I got the same thing today to take a 3 question survey, Error 404. Scam or O, after reading all your current experiences, I will hit Delete!

Mauibabes

10 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I would suggest when you get something like this from ny Company you don't open it and call your TA or "O" if booking direct.  Be safe first.

Why? Just hit delete and move on.

If from O, and they happen to get their back side together, you’ll probably get another request. Otherwise, you wasted no one’s time including your own.

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Milt request to do a survey looked suspicious. I deleted immediately and never opened.

Did the email under the physical (is that right?) look suspicious? There was something on the national news about lots of spam similar to this. Has anyone checked with O?

My husband and I both received similar emails. The sender’s email looks weird like it wasn’t sent from Oceaniacruises. Just sent them to the junk folder.

7 minutes ago, osandomir said:

My husband and I both received similar emails. The sender’s email looks weird like it wasn’t sent from Oceaniacruises. Just sent them to the junk folder.

Not spam?

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Why? Just hit delete and move on.

If from O, and they happen to get their back side together, you’ll probably get another request. Otherwise, you wasted no one’s time including your own.

I'd call "O" just in case it was real (but not taking a chance opening this e-mail)and your cruise was cancelled.  Better know now than later when you have time to fix it.  And if it's not real "O" can do something about the e-mail.

2 hours ago, osandomir said:

First thing I do is check the senders email address. You know immediately if it’s suspicious and if so I block list sender and delete.

• Like 2

The give away is the "explore" in the email address.  That identifies it as not coming from oceania (their emails are typically "oceaniacruises.com) 

The larger question is how did a scammer or AI spam system apparently get numerous individuals email addresses to target Oceania cruisers specifically as noted by the large number of people who got them.  I have no proof of anything but I'm guessing its related to the cruise critic forum.

The wording/timing is pretty shrewd given all the press the one family got when scammers canceled their cruise 3 days prior to sailing (DONT SHOW YOUR INFO IN POSTS!).  Putting the word "cancellation" in the subject line likely causes more people to open the email out of fear of being subject to that well publicized incident

As someone else said, just delete them without opening and you are fine.  Generally if it is actually a valid communication the business will send a follow up if they don't get a response.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, thebsinmiss said:

.  Putting the word "cancellation" in the subject line likely causes more people to open the email out of fear of being subject to that well publicized incident

Mine had nothing to do with cancellation. Mine said help their reservation process.

• Thanks 1

Based on the posts there are 3 or 4 "subject lines" being used in these fishing attacks. Cancelation/Help/Website etc...  

Bottom line is the are all phishing/spam 

• Thanks 2