The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday May 28th, 2024

Today is Amnesty International Day, National Brisket Day, and National Hamburger Day

The purpose of life is a life of purpose. - Robert Byrne

Meal Suggestion for today - Tofu Tacos
Drink of the Day - Duck Fart
Wine of the Day - Domaine Delaporte 2020 La Côte d'Amigny Sauvignon Blanc (Sancerre)
Destination of the Day - Norfolk, Virginia, US

Today in History:
1936 Alan Turing submits "On Computable Numbers" for publication, in which he set out the theoretical basis for modern computers.

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Nieuw Statendam

Lerwick, Scotland 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 06:30 - 15:00

Oosterdam

Split, Croatia 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Alesund, Norway 08:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 09:30 - 17:30

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 12:30 - 21:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 05-29

Zuiderdam

Aarhus, Denmark 08:00 - 17:00

0528Alaska.thumb.png.8af45180a44bf810b76c23c1dfe41397.png

0528Atlantic.thumb.png.d0371f7311863d97fad5f4c7f6a53948.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 30

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today's feet reports and daily.

2 nice meat days and an important one with amnesty international.

Good quote.

Will give today's food and drink a miss.

I hope everyone is well.

Pauline and I have been poorly for a few days.

Best wishes to y'all for a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240528_111941.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 21

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It is another warm day here today. Currently, it is 73 degrees, and the humidity is 93%. The forecast is for a high of 92 degrees this afternoon. 

I hope everyone has a great day!  

IMG_0885.JPG

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

Good morning friends!  It’s Tuesday and that means we’re in Arhus, Denmark.  It’s been pouring rain all morning so I guess my plans to see Arhus again are rapidly fading away.  I refuse to go out to stroll through the city with it raining this hard, even with a huge orange HAL umbrella.  Temperature is 57.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily.  Different days to recognize, a good quote, and no thanks to the tofu tacos and silly drink.  Yes to the Sauvignon Blanc and an interesting day in history.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers for DB, Alex’s baby boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages held, and the men and women on bases and ships in the area.  Special prayers for our Daily Care list folks, especially Jacqui @kazu and Tana.  Wishing for big improvement in everyone recovering from their latest procedures and surgeries.  Hurray to all celebrating happy events and cruising!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV once again for the hard work keeping lists for us!

The port today is Norfolk, Virginia which was here recently on April 11, 2024.  Here is the link for your convenience along with my photo from the l990’s.

I texted DS yesterday to see where in the world he was and he stated they’d just landed in Cabo.  Oh! It occurred to me their 24th wedding anniversary is in a week and perhaps with travels to soccer tournaments just finishing and coming again in June he wanted to fit in a special trip for them in between.  He took her to Madrid in the spring break time period but he is very thoughtful and doesn’t let a special event pass.  Livin’ the good life!

Hope everyone has a super day today.  Keep safe and stay well.

Here is a Norfolk waterfront photo taken on the Spirit of Norfolk lunch cruise we took in June 1990 during the grandmothers' trip to see DD graduate from high school. Most of our photos were of each other.   While visiting us we did Colonial Williamsburg, Norfolk and Virginia Beach, and Busch Gardens plus Jamestown and Yorktown visits.  The photo is a snapshot of a hard copy photo taken out of one of our photo albums.  Old school!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 12

Graham @grapau27 I'm very sorry to hear you've both been feeling poorly these past few days!  I sure hope you are both feeling tip top ASAP!  Let us know how things are progressing.  Sending hugs and hot chicken soup to you two!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

77 this AM with a high today of 92.

Good selection of days.

The quote makes sense.

Pass on the meal.

I’ve been to Virginia but not to Norfolk but after my Father was injured at Normandy in 1944 he recovered in England and then spent the rest of his Navy tour of duty in Norfolk until August of 1945.

I’m not a big basketball fan but the sport lost a great former player yesterday with the passing of Bill Walton.

The US keeps getting hammered with a pretty active tornado season.

Heading over to Englewood Beach today.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  It’s gray and 65F here.  A glum day to be flying to Montreal.  Can’t figure out why I woke up so early unless my subconscious was telling me to finish packing.

I think all three days are fine to celebrate especially Amnesty International.  All humans deserve basic rights.

The quote is nice and inspiring.

No to the meal and drink suggestions.

I have not been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's feet reports and daily.

2 nice meat days and an important one with amnesty international.

Good quote.

Will give today's food and drink a miss.

I hope everyone is well.

Pauline and I have been poorly for a few days.

Best wishes to y'all for a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240528_111941.jpg

Hope you and Pauline start feeling better.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another rainy day in store for us, I hope the plants are happy.

Three good days to celebrate but brisket and hamburgers are too much for one day.

An inspiring quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink but I'll have the wine.

Prayers for so many.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the  Fleet Report and Daily.  Three nice days to celebrate, especially National Amnesty Day.

The quote by Byrne is spot on..

Sounds like a good day in computer history, I’ll bet he had no idea how far the idea would take us..

I visited Norfolk just once, in 2006, on a Blount Intercostal Waterway cruise to Florida.  No pictures but the thing I remember was we docked across the harbor from the Crystal Symphony in Drydock and were visible on their bow camera.  Norfolk was also the substitute port for Baltimore while the harbor was closed due to the Key Bridge disaster.

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Indian Lassi Soup, Melange of Tropical Fruit, Oven Roasted Chicken with Rice, and Strawberry Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam May 28, 2015, mostly from the lido as I wanted to be on deck for our sailaway from St. Petersburg..

We came through yesterday’s storms with apparently little or no damage.  Best wishes for Graham and Pauline.

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Once I've finished laughing, here is today's drink.

Duck Fart cocktail:

A Duck Fart is a layered shot with Kahlua, Bailey’s Irish Cream and whiskey..
They say that the Duck Fart shot is to Alaska what the Mai Tai is to Hawaii, or the margarita is to Mexico.
Said to have originated in a bar in Alaska on a slow night when the bartender and an older woman were testing recipes. The woman drank a few here of these and then came up with the name “Duck Fart”.
The rest of the story goes that the women had some, well, gassiness about her that she was quite noisy about. Sooooo you can visualize the rest.
Ingredients:
1/2 oz. Kailua coffee liqueur
1/2 oz. Bailey’s Irish Cream
1/2 Oz. Crown Royal Blended Canadian Whiskey
Directions:
Pour a measure of Kahlúa into the bottom of a shot glass
Carefully pour the Bailey's on top as the middle layer
Using an upside-down bar spoon, pour the Crown Royal on top of the layers in the glass
Take the entire shot in a single drink

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 6.27.13 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 18
  • Haha 10

Posted (edited)

I like brisket and hamburgers and everyone definitely deserves basic rights, Good quote from Mr Byrne.

Pass on the meal (tofu) and drink, would try the wine, no pictures of Norfolk as I've not gotten out when I've been there (work not cruise). I look forward to pictures. 

Hope @grapau27 and Pauline feel better soon.

RIP Bill Walton.

🤞the eye doctor is able to do the procedure today - last visit she said my allergies were too bad and sent me home w/an Rx. They don't feel any better, so 🤷 

Currently 79° which is the high for today (feels like 88°); temp should drop slightly as the rains move in. Supposed to rain all week. I can feel the 98% humidity- ugh. Just received a warning to take shelter due to poss 80mph winds and the severe weather watch is now a warning. The storm appears to be just north of us.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240528_051542.thumb.jpg.35ac568902f5b96653a10af4d99aecd2.jpg

20240528_051811.thumb.jpg.e1531e07a8f16ac5642b9bddab797221.jpg

20240528_051750.jpg.93c553569be87241cb792979e2df1518.jpg

20240528_054627.thumb.jpg.55ca4c5b2118a06dce8071aaddb26171.jpg

20240528_055402.jpg.fc302d74bad3d1d70ea55b65e9f4e431.jpg

20240528_055440.jpg.124b30bbeb4592a5e878d94e778ae6a5.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 7

6 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I like brisket and hamburgers and everyone definitely deserves basic rights, Good quote from Mr Byrne.

Pass on the meal (tofu) and drink, would try the wine, no pictures of Norfolk as I've not gotten out when I've been there (work not cruise). I look forward to pictures. 

Hope @grapau27 and Pauline feel better soon.

RIP Bill Walton.

🤞the eye doctor is able to do the procedure today - last visit she said my allergies were too bad and sent me home w/an Rx. The don't feel any better, so 🤷 

Currently 79° which is the high for today; temp should drop slightly as the rains move in. Supposed to rain all week. I can feel the 98% humidity- ugh. Just received a warning to take shelter due to poss 80mph winds.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240528_051542.thumb.jpg.35ac568902f5b96653a10af4d99aecd2.jpg

20240528_051811.thumb.jpg.e1531e07a8f16ac5642b9bddab797221.jpg

20240528_051750.jpg.93c553569be87241cb792979e2df1518.jpg

20240528_054627.thumb.jpg.55ca4c5b2118a06dce8071aaddb26171.jpg

Take care today and I hope your eye op goes ahead and is successful.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Cruzin Terri in Jacksonville for appointments with Ortho & PCP

Vict0riann awaiting biopsy results

Flooding and storms across the US, with loss of life: PNG landslides

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory and anxiety issues

JazzyV’s BFF recovering from surgery for a tib-fib fracture

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

dfish’s goddaughter Elizabeth’s new arrival Adelaide

Nickelpenny post back surgery, now home, doing well

RMLincoln’s DH with eye drainage incision still open on last evaluation

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Mr. Boston (Volendam June 1 to June 😎 7d Canada/New England Discovery

5 days for Luvteaching (Majestic Princess June 2 to June 9) Alaska Inside Passage

MrSnuggleupagus (Koningsdam to June 1) Alaska Inside Passage, Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage and Mtn2Sea (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels

• Like 22
  • Thanks 20

Good morning!!  Thank you for the Reports!!

Now I'm in a quandary...  Which to have for dinner -- Brisket or Burgers?  Of course, in Texas it means Smoked and Babied BBQ Brisket or Grilled Burgers...  Maybe I'll have Amnesty and not do either???

Thank you Robert Byrne!!!  I do have purpose in my life!!!

Since I already said, and you know, I'm from Texas, I'll skip the Tofu and just have regular tacos!!  In fact, I have them about every two weeks!!!

And Duck Farts...  I know them well!  My limit is 5!  Wait, let me count again...  

No photo description available.

Yes...  Now this was over a couple of hours, but...

@grapau27  Please know that you are special to all of us!!  I hope health returns quickly and fully!!!  It's no fun feeling poorly!!  HUGS!!!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Good sunny morning, it’s going to be a beautiful day today. 
I had a hamburger for lunch yesterday and a hotdog for dinner. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another spectacular morning here. The morning marine layer really enhanced the sunrise. Bindi & I had an extra long walk. Lots of deer out & about. The fawns are getting big!

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Hope BFF is managing. Love to read about your progress. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores & pool time. My turn to host dinner Saturday, so I am working on the menu.

Has anyone air fried salmon? I have a couple of recipes that sound interesting, but I don’t want the salmon to be dry. 

IMG_2775.jpeg.1b4b3ef3d8bc68ce40ca7fe5d4e1d1ab.jpeg

IMG_2826.jpeg.20c736702c6a74afac5d0c0ff1295bcb.jpeg

IMG_2744.jpeg.0e9f1b51e0503a11fe56e4436c72a9f7.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @grapau27 Graham sorry to read that you & Pauline haven’t been well. Hope you both recover quickly. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Domaine Delaporte 2020 La Côte d'Amigny Sauvignon Blanc (Sancerre)

This Sancerre sounds delightful. Perfect for a hot Summer evening. Lots of consumer fans. Widely available. Online prices start at $29.97.

Winemaker Notes

Pale gold with green hints. Very expressive, intense, and complex nose with boxwood, rhubarb, blackcurrant, kiwi fragrances, and light vegetal touch (marigold). The entry is soft and round—bright freshness on the palate, delicate and lively purity. Well balanced and harmonious, it ends with a clean lingering finish.

As a young wine, it is a superb aperitif served at 10°C and a marvelous companion for shellfish. After a few months of maturation, it becomes excellent with Asian dishes, fish dishes, sushi, grilled, or fish with a sauce. Also very good with roasted white meats and poultry. This wine should be served between 10 and 13°C (50-55°F).

• 90Wine Enthusiast
    Smooth and ripe, this wine balances yellow fruits with red apples, supplemented by the tangy acidity of a young wine. The edgy aftertaste will soften well. Drink from 2023.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, LambKnuckles said:

Good morning!!  Thank you for the Reports!!

Now I'm in a quandary...  Which to have for dinner -- Brisket or Burgers?  Of course, in Texas it means Smoked and Babied BBQ Brisket or Grilled Burgers...  Maybe I'll have Amnesty and not do either???

Thank you Robert Byrne!!!  I do have purpose in my life!!!

Since I already said, and you know, I'm from Texas, I'll skip the Tofu and just have regular tacos!!  In fact, I have them about every two weeks!!!

And Duck Farts...  I know them well!  My limit is 5!  Wait, let me count again...  

Yes...  Now this was over a couple of hours, but...

@grapau27  Please know that you are special to all of us!!  I hope health returns quickly and fully!!!  It's no fun feeling poorly!!  HUGS!!!

Thank you for your lovely comments Lambie.

• Like 19

Good Tuesday morning all.  Thanks for our Daily Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Debbie, Ann & Dixie.  

Nice collection of days.  Amnesty International is very worthy of celebration.  Interesting quote by Byrne and true in many respects. And yay, a white wine 🙂 

It’s raining here as forecast but that’s ok since it’s a day full of appointments for a good portion of it.   And I need a break.  My foot and legs aren’t happy although I didn’t accomplish near what I would have if i were 100% yesterday.  Not sure how long it will take to finish at the rate I am going 😢 Oh well.  Postponed an appointment tomorrow that wasn’t urgent until next week in the hopes of getting something done tomorrow IF it’s nice.  My progress is sort of like my cleaning sometimes.

IMG_1669.jpeg.73dadf46afd76a1729eb84bb78d3514f.jpeg

In between, I frantically tried to keep up with spread sheet changes for my roll call.  Busy bunch 😉 

Wonder of wonders, I got the call for the catscan - it’s not until the middle of June, though.  Glad the doctor’s and sugeon’s requests were both marked urgent.  Wonder how long it takes when it’s not?  

@ger_77 this is Jose’s gadget.  You can turn it upside down and kneel (not me) or sit on it.  It does have a cushion.  

IMG_1846.thumb.jpeg.4ae7a9653297d623a838a9cc7a18a48a.jpeg

I laughed when he bought it as he used it a total of one time.  Jose rarely weeded in my gardens.  But, at least it is letting me sit for some things to take the pressure and pain off my foot and legs.

@Vict0riann prayers, that your biopsies are negative, Ann 🙏 

@Haljo1935 Best wishes for you eye appointment today and procedure.

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, pain, grief, health problems, worries and those that need them.  🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_2443.thumb.jpeg.b08d46f7f295df8e7cd67d93d15b0a2d.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Once I've finished laughing, here is today's drink.

Duck Fart cocktail:

A Duck Fart is a layered shot with Kahlua, Bailey’s Irish Cream and whiskey..
They say that the Duck Fart shot is to Alaska what the Mai Tai is to Hawaii, or the margarita is to Mexico.
Said to have originated in a bar in Alaska on a slow night when the bartender and an older woman were testing recipes. The woman drank a few here of these and then came up with the name “Duck Fart”.
The rest of the story goes that the women had some, well, gassiness about her that she was quite noisy about. Sooooo you can visualize the rest.
Ingredients:
1/2 oz. Kailua coffee liqueur
1/2 oz. Bailey’s Irish Cream
1/2 Oz. Crown Royal Blended Canadian Whiskey
Directions:
Pour a measure of Kahlúa into the bottom of a shot glass
Carefully pour the Bailey's on top as the middle layer
Using an upside-down bar spoon, pour the Crown Royal on top of the layers in the glass
Take the entire shot in a single drink

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 6.27.13 AM.png

What’s that famous quote, “If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and farts like a duck, it must be a Duck Fart! 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 17