Majestic Princess... the pros and the cons?

I know that there are a lot of comments and opinions out there.   So, this might be kind of repeating...

We are considering a cruise on Majestic. (after the next DryDock in March). As we are interested in what Princess might be doing with this ship.

I have never picked this ship, as I have not been sure about the fully enclosed forward pool, and lack of an AFT pool area.  No 'Sanctuary'.

(Going from the nice Adagio area on the Ruby, to no comparable pool area now,  another Princess 'mistake')

How is it, being in that forward pool area, and the conservatory?

What are the good things, and maybe the not so good?

Thanks for any comments!

I sailed Majestic out of LA a couple years ago.  I ventured up to the forward pool and conservatory just looking for some place to enjoy the views, not to swim.  I don't recall an abundance of seating in the conservatory.  Tried to sit in of the cabana things by the pool but the chlorine smell was too strong.  Lack of air flow?

There's really not much indoor or outdoor area to sit in the shade.  That was a bummer.

Posted (edited)

Just on majestic in March. Indoor pool area does smell of chlorine-cabanas towards front were fine. Conservatory has decent amount of seating-we used it to view NZ fjords. I’d say majestic is good for possible cold/bad weather places (TA crossing, Iceland, Alaska, Norway). No for Caribbean or Med in summer.

Edited by elaine5
  • Like 4

We just did 40 days on the Majestic. The 1st 10 was sold out with Aussie kids on break. I thought it would be a zoo in there with those crazy musical instruments. It actually was usually quiet. The cabanas were usually filled, but not by hogs in the early morning. A lot of tables forward that were used for cards and other games. I personally didn't find the chlorine smell too bad. Had several bad sea days where the space came in handy as it was really windy outside. I enjoy the fresh air so I didn't spend much time in there, but did like walking through and looking out over the bow. We enjoyed the noodle bar, too bad it's going to be replaced. The Harmony was OK, nothing spectacular so it being replaced isn't going to be that big of a deal. I would sail on her again , but will need to see what will happens in drydock. Making the whole Hollywood area a sanctuary would take away a pool and leave only the one to everyone else.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

Making the whole Hollywood area a sanctuary would take away a pool and leave only the one to everyone else.

I believe the conversations regarding making the Hollywood Conservatory a Sanctuary would have the pool become a "Retreat" pool.  Retreat pools are free and open to adults.  

Will see what they end up doing? 🤷‍♂️

We'll be on for 51 days in Dec/Jan and I'm fairly certain by then they will know exactly what they will do during the March dry dock.

• Like 5

We are looking at a Caribbean cruise in the winter...

I am so afraid that the fact that it can become 'stuffy' and lacks fresh air could really be a negative.

I wonder if they could do something to improve that situation...  Some way to open up air in and out of this area?

The problem with ships with open Sanctuaries up there is either the sun/heat or the wind.  I have seen either of these make this area uncomfortable or even un-useable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

We are looking at a Caribbean cruise in the winter...

I am so afraid that the fact that it can become 'stuffy' and lacks fresh air could really be a negative.

I wonder if they could do something to improve that situation...  Some way to open up air in and out of this area?

The problem with ships with open Sanctuaries up there is either the sun/heat or the wind.  I have seen either of these make this area uncomfortable or even un-useable.

We enjoyed our Circle Caribbean this February on the Emerald so much that we decided to do it again next February.  Only difference is that next year will be on the Majestic, which we have never been on.  We aren't pool people but have always spent sea days in the Sanctuary, so may not be thrilled with the Majestic without it.  It's only doing the 14 night Circle Caribbean once, so not any other choice of ships.  

Tex,  If you have already booked for next year, or will be booking soon...  Be aware that there could be MAJOR changes coming for the Majestic.  I am not talking just the Harmony restaurant.

What type of cabin have you booked?

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Tex,  If you have already booked for next year, or will be booking soon...  Be aware that there could be MAJOR changes coming for the Majestic.  I am not talking just the Harmony restaurant.

What type of cabin have you booked?

Interesting.  I have 2 cruises on 2025  on the Majestic.  Both cruises I have an aft PH suite.  Can you tell me more?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

I believe the conversations regarding making the Hollywood Conservatory a Sanctuary would have the pool become a "Retreat" pool.  Retreat pools are free and open to adults.  

That would be a great use of the area. There wouldn't be any shade/sun loungers so the lounger placements to have the best views would be the selling point. Serivce in the Sanctuary would still be appealing. Keeping  the bar and the pool for all to use would make sense. Guess the drawback would be noise from the pool drifting into the sanctuary area.

5 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Never felt it was "stuffy" in there. As well as i didn't notice an overwhelming chlorine smell. Aircon worked great in there.

T

Edited by Yehootu
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We did our 2nd sailing to Alaska on the Majestic. We thought it was great...but then we somewhat take the stance that *any* day on a cruise is a good day!

Not the day Noro hit me like a runaway truck. That was not a good cruise day. (Actually, while the first day was the worst the next two days after that were pretty terrible as well.)

• Like 1

We are doing a repo on the Regal in April 4/25 and a return on the Majestic on 7/18/25. First over and back for us via cruise ship and first time in Iceland via the Majestic!

• Like 3

We've been on Majestic four times (it was one of the only ships sailing out of LA during the reboot after COVID). 

While we had a great time (we always do, a vacation is what you make of it), we enjoy the older Sapphire, Grand, etc ships the best, with decks and decks of unlimited outdoor areas and hot tubs/pools.

Our kids enjoyed playing the instruments and giant chess game at the Hollywood Pool Club, but the chlorine aroma was a little too much. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

That sounds amazing.  You must be excited!

I know that Regal is one of our favorites.  Enjoy!

Thanks we are. Sailed the Regal over this year - not our favorite but still had a good time. The piano bar was disappointing. Don’t get me wrong I like the “Rat Pack” music also but we prefer a piano bar that gets a little rowdy!

On 6/1/2024 at 12:54 AM, Thrak said:

Not the day Noro hit me like a runaway truck. That was not a good cruise day. (Actually, while the first day was the worst the next two days after that were pretty terrible as well.)

Sorry you had to experience that, my friend!  As to that topic, we've been EXTREMELY lucky (so far!)

• Like 1

I guess it all depends on who the entertainer that is booked.

It is like you describe quite often!

I hear that there are some better more lively and contemporary ones, one over from Carnival!

The ship band, last time we were on Regal, were very good, but, uhhhhhmmmm,  not so exciting at all !   And I was hoping for more of a 'party' cruise!!!  (at least by Princess standards)

I also found the chlorine smell in the forward pool and Conservatory rather unpleasant.  Also, the enclosed pool was much too noisy on our cruise, with the shrieks of children reverberating off the walls.

I also really missed Crooners, which is my favourite spot on any Princess ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

I guess it all depends on who the entertainer that is booked.

It is like you describe quite often!

I hear that there are some better more lively and contemporary ones, one over from Carnival!

The ship band, last time we were on Regal, were very good, but, uhhhhhmmmm,  not so exciting at all !   And I was hoping for more of a 'party' cruise!!!  (at least by Princess standards)

Most ship bands are awesome jazz musicians and usually do gigs in venues on nights they are not playing in the theatre 

One of our all time favorite shop bands we have seen on Regal in the past.

It can be luck of the draw when it comes to bands/entertainers!

That is not what defines what makes a good ship.

The all time best ship entertainment we have seen was. on Regal when the Staff, many of whom are excellent musicians, put on a classic Rock show in the Piazza one night.   CD Dan Falconer closed that show with. his hilarious rendition of 'Walk this way...  Walk this way!!!'

Have not had such luck with Crooners on Regal.  Just the way it worked out!

• Like 2