Friendly reminder - do NOT post your NCL reservation information

15 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

How would you propose that they verify that the person on the phone is in fact the person holding the reservation?

Very easy, NCL has my birthdate and passport number on file. Along with my cell number, home number and address

1 hour ago, thistimeplease said:

So, to me, it does seem that Carnival knew about this situation and never fixed it.

If people continue to broadcast their personal information (full name, booking number, email address, ship, date, stateroom #, etc.), how would Carnival fix it? 🤔

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I would think that the call centers have the feature where the number calling is displayed often with a name. I know when I call our TA, he says Hello, xxxx xxxxxxx, And he says that even before I speak, so it's not him recognizing my voice.

You know there are internet programs that randomly choose numbers for wifi calling, right?

They can also punch in the number they want to display to the person answering.

This whole affair is like hacking 101 level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

After wading through pages of discussion on this thread, it occurred to me that the key piece of information was the woman posting her booking number. If someone she knows has a grudge against her, they obviously know her name and would most likely know her DOB and email address. 

Having said that...every time I contact NCL about an existing reservation they ask:

Name

Booking number

Ship name

Sail dates

I don't recall ever being asked DOB or email address.

But anyone who knows her and was impersonating her would know those, just in case they were asked.

My thoughts exactly. And I've never been asked for my DOB, email address only when confirming where to send the confirmation.

Unless the "scammer" has some sort of inside access (TA/PCC), they really couldn't count on being able to book the upgraded room when it opened up. Since I'm not privy to how the bid process works at that point, I can only speculate that a vacant room goes into the open-for-purchase pile first, before it's available. So grudge/revenge jumps to mind, or a random prank.

@Laszlo no, they do not keep your passport info on file. Or at least not in a place where an agent would have access. It's been debated whether or not they keep it at all.

There is no requirement to even have a passport in order to make a reservation - and if you are a first-time cruiser, that info is only entered when you check-in at day 21.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, julig22 said:

My thoughts exactly. And I've never been asked for my DOB, email address only when confirming where to send the confirmation.

Unless the "scammer" has some sort of inside access (TA/PCC), they really couldn't count on being able to book the upgraded room when it opened up. Since I'm not privy to how the bid process works at that point, I can only speculate that a vacant room goes into the open-for-purchase pile first, before it's available. So grudge/revenge jumps to mind, or a random prank.

@Laszlo no, they do not keep your passport info on file. Or at least not in a place where an agent would have access. It's been debated whether or not they keep it at all.

There is no requirement to even have a passport in order to make a reservation - and if you are a first-time cruiser, that info is only entered when you check-in at day 21.

I am only assuming its kept somewhere. Before our last cruise two years ago I had to call because of a problem. One of their customer service people asked if my passport ended it XYZ. Maybe thats all they had maybe they had the whole thing

4 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Having said that...every time I contact NCL about an existing reservation they ask:

Name

Booking number

Ship name

Sail dates

Same here.  Those four are the standard script.  Sometimes they'll ask me for the names of the passengers on the reservation as well.  They've never asked me for my birthday, favorite color, pet's name or anything else like that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Very easy, NCL has my birthdate and passport number on file. Along with my cell number, home number and address

All of those except for passport number are borderline public information.  NCL doesn't have your passport number until you check in for a cruise.

4 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Same here.  Those four are the standard script.  Sometimes they'll ask me for the names of the passengers on the reservation as well.  They've never asked me for my birthday, favorite color, pet's name or anything else like that.

For our river cruise with Gate 1 Travel earlier this year, I was asked both my DOB and DW's DOB.

1 hour ago, Panhandle Couple said:

You know there are internet programs that randomly choose numbers for wifi calling, right?

What does this have to do with when I call my TA he knows it is me before I say anything which must mean he sees my caller ID?

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

What does this have to do with when I call my TA he knows it is me before I say anything which must mean he sees my caller ID?

Our PCC knows it's me when I call him. He answers the phone and immediately says. "Hi, Schmoopie"...or words to that effect.

In addition to not posting screenshots that contain sensitive information, there is more a person can do.

When you set up any security questions, lie. Anyone on social media can see you chatting with your High School buddies. Don't put your real mascot or your real hometown in the answers. Your first car... pick the car nobody in their right mind would buy. Make the answer anything but the truth. If you think you won't remember, then pick a favorite TV or movie character and give their answers for the questions, so all you need to remember is the character.

For signing up restaurant loyalty and stuff, don't give your real birthday. They don't need to know it; they just need you to have a celebration once a year.

There's so much social engineering (aka "hacking") that it can seem almost impossible to keep one's data out of the hands of miscreants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I think what @Panhandle Couple is saying is that hackers frequently know how to spoof your caller ID.  The person they call would see your phone number, even though the hacker is calling from a different location.  Your TA would think it was you calling them.  Unless they recognize your voice, they could be fooled by a hacker.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

But anyone who knows her and was impersonating her would know those, just in case they were asked.

Carnival was able to ascertain that the fake online account was created on a computer in British Columbia. The passengers say they don't know anyone there, so they are still stumped as to who might have done this and why.

4 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

None of this happened on the phone. It was all online.

2 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Carnival was able to ascertain that the fake online account was created on a computer in British Columbia. The passengers say they don't know anyone there, so they are still stumped as to who might have done this and why.

I have a VPN and know that I can be shown as "in" different countries.  I wonder if that could be the case here?

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Our PCC knows it's me when I call him. He answers the phone and immediately says. "Hi, Schmoopie"...or words to that effect.

When he or she has to put you on hold, does he or she say "Hang on Schmoopie"? 🤣 

• Haha 4

I’m just wondering what this woman’s FB account security settings are.  Does she have her account set to Public?  IMO, even Friends of Friends gives you too many people you don’t actually know potentially seeing your posts, so unless someone only posts food pics and cat memes, they should probably tighten up their FB settings.  My FB security settings are set to Friends Only, so there’s a very limited number of people who could have cancelled a cruise on me if I’d been in a similar situation, and I know them all in real life.

13 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Now that right there is top 10% forum humor! 🤣

Thank you for the compliment. I graciously accept it. 😊😊

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

None of this happened on the phone. It was all online.

As I said, a hacker can take control of a computer and use it remotely.

They can also use a program that randomizes the internet router that actually transfers the data with the target web site, while hiding the original source.

The hacker could really be anywhere in the world.  Many places in the world despise the US, so simply canceling anyone's vacation (and lets be clear, this could also have happened with airline tickets or hotel reservations if those reservations were placed on FB) gives them a quick thrill.

16 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Really guys?

Caller ID is 25 yr old technology (maybe older in some areas).  Kids stuff.  No one under 30 even remembers when there wasn't caller ID.

Your agent simply has your number in a data file on his phone system. That simply shows your name on the screen before he answers.

That used to be "cool tech" in the office at one time, now it is a feature in every cell phone sold in the world.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Really guys?

Caller ID is 25 yr old technology (maybe older in some areas).  Kids stuff.  No one under 30 even remembers when there wasn't caller ID.

Your agent simply has your number in a data file on his phone system. That simply shows your name on the screen before he answers.

That used to be "cool tech" in the office at one time, now it is a feature in every cell phone sold in the world.

Seriously? I never heard of this awesome-sounding caller ID thing.

Thanks for the education.

What will they think of next? Maybe a phone you can carry in your pocket.

That would be even more awesome.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 1