Is the medallion mandatory?

13 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

I haven’t sailed with the medallion yet but I’m really looking forward to being able to find DH after he’s gone on a ship’s engine tour or some other weird event I’m not interested in so I don’t have to wait in the cabin for him to return. 

Why wait? Leave a sticky note and carry on with your cruise. Even without sticky notes, I can find my husband -- he's in one of three or four places. Or we'll find each other in the cabin later. 🤷🏻

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 1:05 PM, rocker57 said:

Worried about a medallion that can track you on the ship, but probably has no issue with using a smart phone, computer, credit card, social media (like CC)

True Story! 😂

17 hours ago, cruisinsince75 said:

Yes they are.  We had the opposite.  Had a couple that seemed delightful on the cruise that were part of a group we were traveling with.  Then invited them to share a condo with us in Europe on a land trip.  OMG, 😱 

omg!  what happened next? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

Why wait? Leave a sticky note and carry on with your cruise. Even without sticky notes, I can find my husband -- he's in one of three or four places. Or we'll find each other in the cabin later. 🤷🏻

We've only been on two ships and we lost one another a few times.  I don't know the places well enough to tell him where I'd be.  This next cruise I'm going to do a more thorough exploration of the ship and I'm going to pay more attention to the names of venues so we can at least tell people on cruise critic where we like to spend our time! 🤣

Edited by paddingtonbear
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Have you ever tried to Google your name?  Google your name and the city, state that you live in?  Fine if you have a common name, but if your name is ever so slightly unique some sites will pull up your age, address, phone number, and email.  If you still work and have a LinkedIn account, your LinkedIn profile will sometimes populate as a result.  It's easy to backtrack information with the Internet.  It's easy to be nosy with just a name.  With the shipmates function your name is pretty much fair game. 

Like I've said before, people nowadays are crazy.  Sad to say, but it's come to the point where strangers to me are crazy unless proven otherwise.  I'm a restaurant partner and people have literally sued the restaurant I'm a partner at for not being handicapped accessible that aren't even handicapped.

Not quite sure why you'd not be in a state to answer an audible ring or vibration from your phone on a ship.  Too many drinks?

Getting a massage

in the pool

in a hot tub

in a public bathroom

in a noisy bar

at a musical performance

Tai chi class

my phone is not always in my pocket. My medallion never leaves me unless I’m in the shower or bed.

and I’ve never been stalked that I’m aware of.

Edited by BamaVol

This boils down to the question of why is everyone OK with being tracked with what is essentially an AirTag while on vacation?  Is everyone OK with having a stranger place an AirTag in your wallet/bag and have a stranger track your movement when you're at home in your locale?

This practice illegal in California:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=637.7.&lawCode=PEN

7 hours ago, SCX22 said:

This boils down to the question of why is everyone OK with being tracked with what is essentially an AirTag while on vacation?  Is everyone OK with having a stranger place an AirTag in your wallet/bag and have a stranger track your movement when you're at home in your locale?

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=637.7.&lawCode=PEN

The thing is they are not tracking you. You give certain people permission to track you to deliver a drink or to have a friend find you. 
It is also a payment device. That’s not tracking you it’s recording your purchases. Like your Visa card does. 
It is also an identifier like a licence or passport. 

It’s a ship. They know you are on the ship. It’s not some kind of private secret. To compare it to being tracked while home living your life is a bit, IMO, extreme. But I get it,

if you really don’t want to be tracked, stop using cell phones, air travel, credit cards, computers, streaming services, gps systems . The list goes on and on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paddingtonbear said:

The thing is they are not tracking you. You give certain people permission to track you to deliver a drink or to have a friend find you. 
It is also a payment device. That’s not tracking you it’s recording your purchases. Like your Visa card does. 
It is also an identifier like a licence or passport. 

As you walk round the ship your medallion is broadcasting it's ID and getting picked up by the sensors all over the ship(they are a few feet apart) including inside your cabin.

How much of that data is kept is unknown.

They must be processing the broadcast as that's how they unlock your cabin as you get near, they need to check who you are in every passenger corridor as you walk along and pass by a sensor.

If you are near a bar the bar tablets get updated with your presence.

We have been located by restaurant staff to discuss a booking no explicit permission given.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

Or you can find him in real time with the Medallion. 

• Like 1

Personally I love the medallion. Cards were a pain - I rarely am wearing something with pockets so DH ended up carrying it around for me most of the time. Medallion is always with me on my wrist bracelet - don’t have to worry about it. It’s convenient and easy. And we often travel as extended family with our adult kids - we love being able to easily find each other - no more the days of the dry erase board we used to use for messages in the cabin. I pretty much realize that in our modern age we are being filmed, monitored, and tracked as humans and consumers daily so it is what it is. If it makes my vacation easier and more convenient then I’m happy. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, SCX22 said:

In this case it is not a stranger attaching a device that they control and you are unaware of.

It is a device that you know about, that is only read by the scanners on the ship that are connected to an App where you have control over what other passengers can read.

The California law does not prevent voluntary use of tracking devices 

So no they would not be illegal under California law.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Or you can find him in real time with the Medallion. 

That'd be hard: he wasn't on my recent Princess cruise. 😃

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, TRLD said:

In this case it is not a stranger attaching a device that they control and you are unaware of.

It is a device that you know about, that is only read by the scanners on the ship that are connected to an App where you have control over what other passengers can read.

So no they would not be illegal under California law.

Plus, you won't be in California, hence California law wouldn't apply.

2 hours ago, TRLD said:

I think Princess needs to make clearer that the use of the Medallion is voluntary, if they are going to use this argument.  None of their advertising, except for those with pacemakers, make this abundantly clear.  Passengers are supplied with one arbitrarily and told to use it.

Makes you wonder what Princess' intent is with the data collected.  Princess has already sold off passenger information to One Network Exchange.  Not implying anything malicious.

Even Apple has stated that that the intent of AirTags is"to help people locate their belongings, not to track people."  (2nd paragraph of the PR below.)

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/02/an-update-on-airtag-and-unwanted-tracking/

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Plus, you won't be in California, hence California law wouldn't apply.

My point is that some states find fault in tracking people with devices.  This law has been in effect in California for close to 30 years.

16 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

I think Princess needs to make clearer that the use of the Medallion is voluntary, if they are going to use this argument.  None of their advertising, except for those with pacemakers, make this abundantly clear.  Passengers are supplied with one arbitrarily and told to use it.

Makes you wonder what Princess' intent is with the data collected.  Princess has already sold off passenger information to One Network Exchange.  Not implying anything malicious.

Even Apple has stated that that the intent of AirTags is"to help people locate their belongings, not to track people."  (2nd paragraph of the PR below.)

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/02/an-update-on-airtag-and-unwanted-tracking/

My point is that some states find fault in tracking people with devices.  This law has been in effect in California for close to 30 years.

I think sold off is not quite right   They have contracted with ONE for marketing services. That is not unusual in business   I for one would never work with them

• Like 1

I have been reading through this thread and have come to realize that it is a wasted effort to try and change people beliefs. All those that do not like the Medallion technology have a clear chose, cruise with a different company that use cards. Simple.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, shandryl said:

omg!  what happened next? 

Turned out they were not as delightful as we thought.  On the land trip, they were opinionated, snobbish, and down right rude.  We parted ways after a few days into the trip and enjoyed the rest of the time on our own.  

Edited by cruisinsince75
missing word
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AZaTaz said:

I have been reading through this thread and have come to realize that it is a wasted effort to try and change people beliefs. All those that do not like the Medallion technology have a clear chose, cruise with a different company that use cards. Simple.

Just like playing devil's advocate.  If no one did this the points would always be one sided.  It gets people to think and sometimes gets them to question their own beliefs.

1 minute ago, SCX22 said:

Just like playing devil's advocate.  If no one did this the points would always be one sided.  It gets people to think and sometimes gets them to question their own beliefs.

I see your point but when is it time to say done. Do not get me wrong I enjoy reading along and chuckling 

50 minutes ago, AZaTaz said:

You can still get a card if you want once you board, then just put your medallion in the safe, your cruise your choice.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

You can still get a card if you want once you board, then just put your medallion in the safe, your cruise your choice.

I would hope someone would have to turn your medallion in to exchange, after all they don't want it. Maybe it could be recycled somehow.   no need for Princess to provide souvenirs' to people that just want the card for their collection, which has been posted many times on CC

Edited by voljeep

24 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

No...as I understand it, you forfeit the medallion if you choose to go with a card.  (I may be wrong...just something I've seen here on CC.)

31 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

No...as I understand it, you forfeit the medallion if you choose to go with a card.  (I may be wrong...just something I've seen here on CC.)

I read that two, but the card does fit better in the album. We just kept them husband will get use to it. We lock up the phones so no app which is fine by me. Now though when the bartender at the pool bar knows my order before I tell him it's because of the medallion not because he remembers me from every morning. Was nice on the Regal before medallions he knew hat I needed each day even a year later I walk up he said diet coke no ice 😁.