Port Everglades to FLL

jshli

We are debarking the Enchanted Princess which docks at Port Everglades at 6AM on a Saturday. We have an 11AM flight from Fort Lauderdale Airport and would like some input on what time we should request a private transfer from the port to ensure we arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before our flight. Thank you.

Thanks for your responses. The reason we are planning to book a service is that there will be 7 ships disembarking that day and we have too much luggage for a taxi and will need a van.

There are plenty of mini van cabs and SUV's at Port Everglades. Just get on line at the taxi stand and wait for one. It's a short fifteen minute ride over to FLL.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Corby114 said:

There are plenty of mini van cabs and SUV's at Port Everglades. Just get on line at the taxi stand and wait for one. It's a short fifteen minute ride over to FLL.

How many people can a minivan cab hold?

A mini van with around four suitcases should hold around four passengers. One passenger in the front seat and three passengers occupying the second row. Four suitcases behind the passengers.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jshli said:

Thanks for your responses. The reason we are planning to book a service is that there will be 7 ships disembarking that day and we have too much luggage for a taxi and will need a van.

Seven ships on Saturdays and Sundays in high season (Thanksgiving week, Christmas through April) is not unusual.  As others have recommended, van taxis are plentiful and the drive time is short since the airport and seaport are contiguous (only separated by a highway).

I would just disembark with the earliest group with luggage (if you are assigned a different group, ask customer service to change your disembarkation time - we've never been denied that request on Princess).  That way you are among the first to arrive at the airport and the lines for check-in and security will not be out the door. IMHO waiting at a gate at the airport is better than waiting onboard for your disembarkation group to be called.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 2

Approximately what time is the first group called (after the group carrying their own luggage)?  We are older and much to my husband’s chagrin, I don’t travel light enough to maneuver our luggage on the elevators with other passengers also trying to disembark early. 

34 minutes ago, jshli said:

Approximately what time is the first group called (after the group carrying their own luggage)?  We are older and much to my husband’s chagrin, I don’t travel light enough to maneuver our luggage on the elevators with other passengers also trying to disembark early. 

If I remember correctly last summer we were assigned the second group (I guess based on our 11:15 flight) but I asked to be switched to the first group at 8:15.  It was actually called at 8 am.  We were all at the gate (even accounting for calling for 2 Ubers since we were 8 people, some with pre-check and some without) around 9:15. 

I am getting a little nervous, if we are in the 8:00 group, will we still be able to make an 11:00 flight? I honestly thought we would be able to get off a little earlier.

Thanks everyone, paid a small increase in fare and changed our flight to 12:15. As I said, we really are not able to self-disembark and having a little 

extra time and thus avoid unnecessary stress is worth it.

Posted (edited)

We have sailed on numerous cruises at Port Everglades and then going to FLL for flights.   We are now in our 80s.   Here is my advice  (notice my signature below - 65 past cruises). 

1. Hubby with breathing problems, so we get a wheelchair for him going through the cruise terminal, both getting on ship & getting off.  No-one ever asks any questions as to why he needs a wheelchair, and the HUGE PLUS is the wheel chair people gets you through all the stops and onto the ship very fast; same fast process departing the ship & getting through customs. 

2. Get a luggage porter to handle your luggage at the cruise port -- he will take you to your transportation location, be it a shuttle, a taxi or a bus transfer.  get you through all the luggage area and customs.  These men are working all the cruises, depending on tips, so they move fast and they know WHERE to take you.  

3. Luggage Direct:  For a fee, your checked luggage can have special tags so that it is taken directly from the cruise ship to the airport and to the plane(s).....you don't handle it at all....you pick it up at baggage claim at the end of your trip!!   It's absolutely wonderful!!  

4.  Use a TAXI to go to the airport!  Forget Uber, etc.  There are tons of taxis and they know shortcuts to the airport.   You will likely have to wait on an Uber or a shuttle.

5.  If we have a late flight after the cruise, we often have the taxi take us to a hotel which has a bar & restaurant; we hang out in their lobby, get a mimosa or beer and eat the lunch....overall better atmosphere & better food than the over-priced mediocre airport food.  (I choose a hotel for this PRIOR to coming to Ft. Lauderdale.)

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

Thanks again everyone. I am more comfortable that we changed our flight to 12PM (will now be able to utilize EZCheck), and take a taxi to the airport since luggage is no longer an issue. Seems like the most stress free way to end our vacation.

• Like 1