The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday June 9th, 2024

Today is Donald Duck Day, International Archives Day, and International Celtic Art Day

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific. - Jane Wagner

Meal Suggestion for today - One-Pan Garlicky Shrimp & Rice
Drink of the Day - Irish Coffee
Wine of the Day - The Chook Sparkling Shiraz
Destination of the Day - Montego Bay, Jamaica

Today in History:
1934 1st appearance of Donald Duck in a cartoon, "The Wise Little Hen"

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 06-10

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska eta 06-10

Nieuw Amsterdam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 19:30

Nieuw Statendam

Heimaey Island, Iceland, Westman Islands 08:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Ajaccio, Corsica France 10:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Alesund, Norway eta 06-10

Volendam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 15:00

Zaandam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Oslo, Norway eta 06-10

0609Alaska.thumb.png.3064e954723f044872e8fc83364360cd.png

0609Atlantic.thumb.png.9e751ccb0bc8083f8387d24fe2d15db1.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 24

Good morning friends!   It was a grey, overcast, windy day in the North Sea with a temperature of  52 when we got up today. Now at lunch time it’s still 52 with broken clouds so the sea looks a lot bluer and the wind is 35 knots so about 40 mph.  This is the first rocky day we’ve had in 29 days at sea.  We’re only moving along at 16 knots.  Captain says they’ve started a third engine to combat these seas and the stabilizers are employed.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the maps today.  Good for Donald Duck having a day of his own.  I’m sure the first audiences to see his cartoon appearance in 1934 were delighted with him.  I support archives and Celtic art as well.  A witty quote, an okay meal suggestion if not TOO much garlic, no to coffee in anything and a pass on the Shiraz.  Thanks Debbie @dfish,Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the reports today!

Prayers for our Care list people and all our friends and family who are in need of them.  I addressed some of the issues in my earlier post on Saturday’s Daily, page 5.  All of us who are still walking around unscathed should be thanking our lucky stars.  Take care everyone!  Prayers too for DB, the little ones great nephew Alex and wife Jordan are waiting for, the people of Israel and Ukraine, those hostages not yet found and our military members in the region.  Thanking the Lord some hostages were found!  

Cheers to those celebrating  special events in their lives, and those cruising!  Safe travels to Bruce @aliaschief and Sue @DWAliaschief as they depart their wonderful world cruise.  I thank you for your diligence in keeping us informed and supplied with photos along the way.  Good luck with all the mail, doctor and dental appointments that need catching up on.  The way I look at it unpacking is never fun but takes less time than packing!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your list work!  So glad you’re able to sleep so well these days.  Things are looking brighter!!

The port today is another new one - Montego Bay, Jamaica.  No links therefore.  We went there in 2004 on our third cruise ever.  As I recall none of us were impressed and were harassed a bit by people trying to sell us drugs so we went back to the ship.  I’ve looked and can’t even find one photo taken.  Sorry, but I hope someone here has something more positive to say about their trips there.  I wouldn’t book a Caribbean cruise just to go to Jamaica.

Let’s all have a good, NO, make that great, Sunday!  Wrap that bubble wrap around yourself tighter to stay safe and keep well!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 interesting days and quote.

Today's food sounds nice.

Prayers for everyone who is unwell.

I am having an issue with internet so will post when I can.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another cool, rainy morning.  The weeds seem to love it.

Three interesting days to celebrate.

Amusing quote.

The meal and drink sound good to me, hope the wine is good too.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Irish Coffee cocktail:

Irish coffee is a caffeinated alcoholic drink consisting of Irish whiskey, hot coffee and sugar, which has been stirred and topped with cream. The coffee is drunk through the cream. Wikipedia

Ingredients:

1 1/3 oz (2 parts) Irish whiskey

1 oz (1½ parts) Fresh cream

1 tsp. Brown sugar

2 2/3 oz (4 parts) Hot coffee
Preparation: Heat the coffee, whiskey and sugar; do not boil. Pour into glass and top with cream; serve hot.
Served: Hot
Drinkware: Irish coffee mug

Screenshot 2024-06-09 at 6.40.35 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Seasick Sailor with an ankle wound/infection, on antibiotics

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with falls; leg wound and arm scraped

Lazey1 recovering from Covid

Flooding and storms across the US, with loss of life

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Seasick Sailor’s DH Allen with skin issues, abnormal lab work, weight loss

Status of Cruzn single

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Mtn2Sea!

Bon Voyage Cruzn single (if you are sailing)

Welcome Home Aliaschief!

Welcome Home Luvteaching!

Cruzin Terri and DH in Barbados

Rafinmd’s church member Paul with pneumonia, discharged to home

Nickelpenny post back surgery, doing well, good report from surgeon

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Lady Hudson (Symphony of the Seas June 14 to June 21) 7 Night Bahamas & Perfect Day Cruise, with twin sister Karen

6 days for Himself (Eurodam June 15 to June 22) 7 Day Alaska Explorer

Mtn2Sea (Cunard QM2 to June 15) 6d WB TA Crossing, swin26 (Rotterdam to June 22) 14d North Cape & The Midnight Sun, Suslor (Rotterdam to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 20
  • Thanks 21

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

A warm 80 this AM heading up to 91. We need some rain as we are now in rainy season, it spritzed yesterday for about 3 minutes.

Good selections of days.

Funny quote.

I would try the meal.

We’ve been to Montego Bay quite a few times and in 1990 we even flew down there and sailed with the defunct Regency Cruise Lines on the Regent Star which was originally HAL’s Statendam, she was built in the mid 1950’s and was a fine vessel built as an ocean liner with a deep draft but Regency wasn’t well financed and was only around a few years. We did have a great itinerary sailing to Ocho Rios where we climbed Dunn’s River Falls, Cartagena, the Panama Canal and Grand Cayman.
With Air we only paid 700 dollars each for an outside cabin, no verandas in those days.

Have a great day and stay well.

IMG_1920.jpeg

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 35

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The port today is another new one - Montego Bay, Jamaica.  No links therefore.  We went there in 2004 on our third cruise ever.  As I recall none of us were impressed and were harassed a bit by people trying to sell us drugs so we went back to the ship.  I’ve looked and can’t even find one photo taken.  Sorry, but I hope someone here has something more positive to say about their trips there.  I wouldn’t book a Caribbean cruise just to go to Jamaica.

Sadly. Montego Bay is becoming a frequent substitute port when Key West is not available as happened to me on my Rotterdam cruise last year.  It's about 35 KM from the purpose built port of Falmouth and 100KM from Ocho Rios.  With my declining energy levels I never got off the ship but here's my view as we set sail for Fort Lauderdale.

lastlookmontego.jpg

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie & Ann.

Nice collection of days.  Who didn’t grow up with Donald Duck? 😊. LOL on the Wagner quote.  The shrimp sounds good for the meal but why wreck it with rice?  LOL.  Only place rice belongs with seafood is in a Valencia paella IMO. 😉

Been in a funk - tired of pain.  Can’t do the gardens - my legs/back and foot just won’t stand for it so I’m going to pay an arm and a leg to get them cleaned up. 😢. My BFF was nice enough to go with me the other day to tour an independent living facility for seniors which would welcome Ivan if I have to make the move.  if the pain can’t be resolved then I figure I may have no choice.  It wasn’t my plan but I might have to face reality.  The problem is all the stuff that has to go in the house.  I refuse to add to the land fill if I can find a place for it all.  I’ll figure it out once I see the surgeon and chiropractor, I guess.

IMG_3978.jpeg.b9130461dad0ab76d12f067c4bb0efb8.jpeg

It was a rather long day so I treated my BFF to lunch at a lovely spot on the water.  It’s run by a non profit so the money goes to a good cause. Pricey as heck but we had one of the best lobster rolls I’ve had in a very long time 😊 

IMG_3041.thumb.jpeg.570b6af7972434c5dc81e80b81ecb139.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health issues, worries and those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_3049.thumb.jpeg.4364b21ece65e512ceab9a73f417490e.jpeg

IMG_3048.thumb.jpeg.322c92d5cc971a00f09d9850e457ed6f.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 14

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! It is lovely out this morning. A strong breeze is making up for yesterday’s lack of it. And it is also keeping the smoke from the two wildfires West of me away. But rain is in our forecast later this week, and we need it. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us! I love to read how much sleep you are getting!

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, chores, a visit with my Sister and pool time. Will keep me busy - maybe even out of trouble. 

IMG_2973.jpeg.29e963a1e0100ee77a4b5ff43f43c122.jpeg

IMG_2972.jpeg.d6288a1c88655157f4382afa56b97dfb.jpeg

IMG_2966.jpeg.56c95d7d3f49aab40bda54b9ba712ecb.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @Cruzin Terri Terri, I am so sorry to read about your mis-adventures. I hope you can salvage some relaxation from the remaining days. 

All the caretakers are at the top of my prayer list. You are very special. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

The Chook Sparkling Shiraz

A sparkling Shiraz! This is new to me. This Australian sparkling wine adds a tiny bit of Viognier to temper any harshness of the Shiraz. Easy to find & priced to try. I will be on the lookout. Online prices start at $15.99.

Winemaker Notes

The fruit is sourced from premium Shiraz growing regions including McLaren Vale and Langhorne Creek with the result being a rich, luscious Sparkling Shiraz that is well balanced and food friendly. Showing wonderful smooth integrated fruit and a rich weighty texture across the palate. This is blended with a touch of younger vintage Shiraz bringing ripe juicy fruit characters to the finished product.
  • 90James Suckling
    Lots of licorice and tea leaf with meat and blackberry aromas. Full body, soft and lightly velvety sparkling red wine. Flavorful finish. Drink now.
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Sadly. Montego Bay is becoming a frequent substitute port when Key West is not available as happened to me on my Rotterdam cruise last year.  It's about 35 KM from the purpose built port of Falmouth and 100KM from Ocho Rios.  With my declining energy levels I never got off the ship but here's my view as we set sail for Fort Lauderdale.

lastlookmontego.jpg

Roy

I agree on Jamaica, been there many times but can’t remember the last time we left the ship. Back in the day we had a few good tours including rafting on the Martha Brae river and as I mentioned in another post, climbing Dunn’s River Falls which was a hoot.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good Sunday Morning to all.

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Debbie,Ann and Dixie, for your contributions.

Thank you to Graham for Father David’s sermon.

I am up but DH is not.  I will let him sleep for at least another hour.  I am so grateful for all your kind thoughts and prayers yesterday.  I really was so distraught after DH’s fall.  I just could not believe that another thing had happened.  We will get through this.  

Today the hotel has a Bajan Lunch Buffet and we will participate.  From what I heard, it is quite nice.

The rest of the day for me is finding a nice spot on the Beach with my book.  Haven’t been able to do that yet.

@Mtn2Sea and @cruzn single  BON VOYAGE!  Enjoy every minute of your cruise.

Prayers for all on the cares list and I thank you, Vanessa, for including DH.

@aliaschief and DW. Welcome Home!

Have a wonderful Sunday.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good cloudy morning, showers are expected later.

I am not a fan of Jamaica, I didn’t feel safe walking around there. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily Rich!  I liked Donald Duck a lot better than Mickey in my little kid days and actually had a DD hat, green with a big orange beak.    A funny and rather true quote.   I look forward to the shrimp and rice recipe and perhaps save for home because we eat Gulf shrimp at it is hard to find up here.    The cocktail and the Chook sparkling Shiraz were things of my 30s.    I enjoyed going down to Ghiardelli Square in San Francisco for one after meetings for work and my friends and I enjoyed Sparkling Shiraz before our tastes changed to less flamboyant wine, would enjoy them both if offered to me though.  We have not been to port of Montego Bay thankfully.   

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa!  @Cruzin Terri thanks for the update this morning,  I hope you enjoy the buffet today and get some badly needed relaxation.  Jacqui, I feel for you if you make the decision to move.   When my husband passed away and I made the decision to move our basement was packed to the gills with storage racks with thing he had bought, used once, and stored.   I almost got rid of it all by selling it on eBay and thankfully there was a very nice Salvation Army nearby and I was a frequent flyer there.   It took from September to February to get that basement empty to show its' size.   Prayers as you go through that process mentally.  Thanks for sharing your challenge with all of us and also your beautiful Siberian Irises.    Prayers for @Vict0riann, Chuck, Tana, @Haljo1935 and everyone else suffering in pain or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.

The Belmont Stakes didn't turn out as we wanted but it was a day of fun races when it rained and hailed off and on.  John decided to go fishing during a sunny spell and got rained and hailed on and caught one small fish before returning to the dock.  I think I can work outside today, my back much better, just a bit of an achy neck on the other side.   High in the 50s and high winds so bundling up in June is in order.   Have a lovely Sunday!  Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I agree on Jamaica, been there many times but can’t remember the last time we left the ship. Back in the day we had a few good tours including rafting on the Martha Brae river and as I mentioned in another post, climbing Dunn’s River Falls which was a hoot.

We enjoyed climbing Dunn's River Falls on our first cruise in the early 90's - it was beautiful, don't think we could climb it today & sure don't want to battle today's crowds. 

Our last cruise w/a stop in Jamaica we did the bamboo raft down the Martha Brae - it was relaxing and gorgeous. That was right before the shut down. 

• Like 25

Good morning, everyone!

We're starting out a bit overcast this morning, but we've been promised sunny skies and a high of 67F.  A little on the chilly side, so we'll put a jacket or sweater on to go out. Oh, wait.  A different forecast for today says cloudy skies and a high of 69F.  Also a chance of showers.  So, I guess we just pick the forecast we like best.   Nothing on the agenda for today, so weather can't put a damper on anything.  

Safe travels to those on the move today.  @Cruzin Terri I hope today brings you the peace and relaxation you were hoping for.  @kazu I hope you can find relief for your pain issues.  I think it was smart to tour the independent living facility.  You may not need to move there right now, but it is nice to know what the options are for when you do.  My friend lives in independent living in a senior living community and just loves it.  What is nice is that she has the option of moving to assisted living when and if she needs it.  

We did have salmon and asparagus last night.  It was raining too hard to use the grill, so we roasted the asparagus in the oven and did the salmon there, too.  Sue made hollandaise for the asparagus and we were very happy.  It was so good I could have had seconds if there had been any.

Today's meal sounds good without the rice.  I may use the recipe for the seasonings and use it make some scallops today.  I actually want to try to do the scallops on the grill, so I hope the first forecast is the right one - no rain!  But anyways, today's meal calls for shrimp (or scallops or chicken, or fish of some sort).  I would substitute riced cauliflower if I wanted it.  Otherwise, I'd just do the shrimp part.  The garlic is the important part.   Garlicky Shrimp

garlickyshrimpandrice1.jpg.53eb0a06c0ca7aab39361a859e736428.jpg

Or you can substitute spinach for the rice.   Garlicky Shrimp and Spinach

garlickyshrimpandrice2.jpg.9dc046e90131d46da3b74bfae5ed2199.jpg

Or you can just have Garlic Shrimp.

garlickyshrimpandrice3.thumb.jpg.46bde06415775a152f2432dcd985e1cc.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 19

Posted (edited)

Funny guy Donald Duck - he quacks me up. There - it's been said 🙄 Creativity should be celebrated. I have a few pieces of Celtic art that I really like - a needlepoint that hangs my entryway & a pair of earrings. I greatly appreciate the tedious work of archiving.

I would enjoy the meal w/chicken subbed for the 🍤 🦐 , pass on the drink & wine. Been to the port a few times w/the first being early 90's so no digital pictures and most recent just before the shutdown so those pics are on computer. We had a few people offering to sell us drugs the first time, but not the last - guess we no longer look like their target customer.🥴 We were there Feb 2016 for my birthday - had a rainy but enjoyable day.

Hugs @kazu and thanks for the beautiful flowers.

Currently 75° w/85% humidity headed to sunny 93°. Rains expected beginning tomorrow. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240609_062959.thumb.jpg.95af81ed557906127399fac773aa85fb.jpg

20240609_063044.thumb.jpg.79c337f2910b3bcbf53aa8dfd91deec2.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2