Do not sail on the Island Princess

There was no hot water. Then it came back. Then a pipe burst. Now there is no water in over half the cabins. Our toilet stopped working. We are considering leaving the ship tomorrow in Norfolk. This old tub should be pulled from service. And we have repeatedly asked to speak to the Hotel Director Francisco to no avail. We are Elite with 35 Princess cruises . This one is ruined.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Another poster has a Cruise Critic blog and has been detailing the broken pipes, etc. on your trip. So sorry about it. Sounds bad. Princess really needs to fix these issues 

• Thanks 1

This is the ship that does the world cruise! Imagine facing these problems on a 111 day sailing. I hope Princess compensates all passengers.

• Like 4

These issues can happen on any ship. The condo above me had a water heater blow a few years ago in our building and flooded.  5 floors it can happen anywhere 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, memoak said:

These issues can happen on any ship. The condo above me had a water heater blow a few years ago in our building and flooded.  5 floors it can happen anywhere 

Except there's no travel insurance that will cover a ruined vacation.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I agree, this can happen on any ship. We had this happen on HAL twice on ships that were less than 10 years old. What stands out here, is the lack of customer service provided and the Hotel Manager being unavailable to speak to you. Things happen, but what makes the difference is how a business handles it and makes it right.

• Like 9

No we love cruising and in over 50+ cruises (35 on Princess) this the first time we’ve encountered the lack of customer service, updates and the ass not knowing what the elbow is up to. When we were on Symphony of the Seas and a a terrible crew death occurred causing missed ports we were compensated, kept up to date etc. we are just being given the run around. And on land you can leave, not so in the middle of the ocean with no toilet

• Thanks 1

I find it interesting that the person doing live thread on Island story is a little different. I am sorry your cruise is not meeting your expectations, 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ellipooh said:

Can OP leave the ship in Norfolk??

Of course they can.

There may be some PVSA fines that need to be taken care of, but they can leave. It's not jail.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

Of course they can.

There may be some PVSA fines that need to be taken care of, but they can leave. It's not jail.

somehow i doubt that they are going to be real happy to have to pay a fine to leave on top of all the other problems and good luck getting princess to reimburse a fine...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What is missing is the duration of these events. A pipe break is not unusual on a ship. The moveme t of ships puts more stress on pipes.

Was it an event that lasted a 1 day or multiple days.

Pretty hard to determine the actual impact without more details. 

A pipe break that impacted toilets and water, that was fixed within a few hours is a totally different situation that lasted more than a few hours.

• Like 2

I'll still take my chances on a newer built ship any day.

The Island is probably the next in line to be sold or scrapped.

The Island Princess looks beautiful on the inside. Food is good, entertainment fine, staff ( except at the top) lovely and kind and polite and hardworking. But the guts of the ship including the phone in your room are falling apart. The elevators are fast except for one aft that doesn’t go to deck 14 but keeps opening so you need to walk up a flight. This is very difficult for disabled passengers. I know she has dry dock in September but it may not be enough.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

The Island Princess looks beautiful on the inside. Food is good, entertainment fine, staff ( except at the top) lovely and kind and polite and hardworking. But the guts of the ship including the phone in your room are falling apart. The elevators are fast except for one aft that doesn’t go to deck 14 but keeps opening so you need to walk up a flight. This is very difficult for disabled passengers. I know she has dry dock in September but it may not be enough.

So how long did it take them to fix the pipe break?

Almost half the cruise. There was no hot water the first day. Then there was for three hours. Then no water the next day . Then the next day no toilets. All seems fine now but no apology or information 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Almost half the cruise. There was no hot water the first day. Then there was for three hours. Then no water the next day . Then the next day no toilets. All seems fine now but no apology or information 

Have you received any compensation?

• Like 1

A cool shower is almost acceptable under the circumstances but a toilet is not. 

Were the public toilets or the ones in the spa area working? 

36 Princess cruise and only one on the Island and will never go on her agian.

No IC, gymn inside deck 6,They ruined the ship when they added 131 cabins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, gvre said:

36 Princess cruise and only one on the Island and will never go on her agian.

No IC, gymn inside deck 6,They ruined the ship when they added 131 cabins.

I really think the only people that like the ship are those that never sailed on it before they messed it up. 

Edited by 555
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

So just to get it right you had one event with hot water for a few hours one day, then a separate event on the second where water was off. How long was the water off?  Then there was a separate incident on the third day where toilets didn't work? How long was that?

Edited by TRLD

I can confirm the hot water issue on Island. We just disembarked June 4 and after reporting the "tepid" water in the sink and shower (on Day 3, Day 5 and Day 7), it finally got fixed on the 9th day of the the 11 day cruise. This was in a mini-suite. When the toilet wouldn't flush, I called Guest Services and it was fixed within the hour. Also, the AC seems very poor in hot climates - we kept it at lowest setting entire time and slept with only a sheet for a cover. The crew were friendly, the food okay, but the beat-up room (stained carpet, scratches on tables, some grout mold in shower) was like a pricey but run-down hotel being propped up. I guess that's why the fare is lower than the newer ships. Won't do Island again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3