Chairgate !!!

Chairgate !!!!!!

The executives at Celebrity have decided to remove the loungers from the suites and Sunset Veranda’s. To Celebrity’s credit they did return a message to my email within 24 hours and contacted me by phone within two business days. The explanation is for security reasons, and they would not provide any information for their internal decision. I inquired about the inconsistencies that appear on social media that document some have the loungers and others do not on current and recent sailings to no response. I was told that new furniture would be placed on balconies soon. I did not get a response after inquiring specifically for details or a description of the furniture. The request for monetary or OBC for my upcoming cruise for not providing the amenities that has been present on other sailings with SV’s and Suites having loungers received a response that there is nothing they can do.

As a long time, voyager with Celebrity. I’m asking should I just “sit down and take it from Celebrity” or is this an issue that others have that might be worthy of continued efforts for change like “CookieGate”

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jelayne said:

This has been a hot topic

Agree...but no solution so far.  Guess with 'cookie gate' they could 'eat' the expense of providing warm cookies, but won't budge on the expense of returning proper balcony furniture. 

Posted (edited)

Nor I....but would at least try to provide a truthful and inclusive answer to my customer's queries before I left.  BTW...there are perfectly good hospitality positions in which I could last more than a day, just not one where the executive branch has an agenda which doesn't include good customer service....the staff do the best they can with instruction provided (or lose their job).

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Just request a lounger once you board if one isn't there already.

We were told no. 

9 minutes ago, cbfb said:

We were told no. 

Dang.  Disappointing.  Several people have commented that they kept asking until they found someone who said yes.  Our MC Sky suite had one in place last week.  Consistently inconsistent.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Dang.  Disappointing.  Several people have commented that they kept asking until they found someone who said yes.  Our MC Sky suite had one in place last week.  Consistently inconsistent.

I absolutely think you might very well be able to get one if you ask but I also believe you may not. So frustrating! And ridiculous. And for those that think this isn’t an issue I’m assuming they book inside or ocean view cabins! No one who spends the money on SV and suites wants a balcony that’s uncomfortable to use. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cbfb said:

I absolutely think you might very well be able to get one if you ask but I also believe you may not. So frustrating! And ridiculous. And for those that think this isn’t an issue I’m assuming they book inside or ocean view cabins! No one who spends the money on SV and suites wants a balcony that’s uncomfortable to use. 

It's the 'not knowing'.  I don't want to have an upset on vacation by having to chase down balcony furniture.  There are those who think this isn't important.  I'm one of the ones who didn't think cookies rated all the attention received, but this comfort issue is totally different ....IMHO.

• Like 5

If the issue is important to you, then maybe consider other cruise lines. Everyone has there own individual "line in the sand". I wouldn't pay for something that I wasn't 100% sure I would be getting. Or maybe just book a different category where the issue wouldn't matter. But if something is important to someone, then it's important. Personally I respect that. However, since you can't fight city hall, go over your acceptable options. 

As someone who doesn't travel in suites and larger balcony cabins, I would see being able to lounge on your own balcony as one of the main perks to look forward to.  I can totally understand your frustration at Celebrity removing a benefit people may have already booked and paid for, especially when they then refuse to give a reasonable explanation.  

I’m not due to cruise until January 2025 so I sincerely hope that Celebrity will have realised by then that there are many of us who love to spend time on their balcony on the loungers or at least with a footstool. Personally, I specifically save for and book a larger balcony or SV especially dreaming for the time I will spend relaxing which is how I like to spend my holiday. I’m gutted that the loungers and footstools have been removed, it will completely change my cruise experience. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

Everyone has there own individual "line in the sand". I wouldn't pay for something that I wasn't 100% sure I would be getting.

Re having 'their own line in the sand'....and 100% sure....IMO there's no such thing in life as 100% sure of what you're getting, so it's a crap shoot in some respects.  But just tell us in plain English why we're not getting what we 'thought' we were paying for.  Then we can accept or not. 

Unfortunately Celebrity continues to disappoint. Our last Celebrity cruise was in December of 2023. We mostly had one or two future cruises booked. We’re Elite Plus, but nowhere near Zenith likes of the @Jim_lian and other Zeniths who have started to venture away from Celebrity.

Since last December we’ve sailed HAL, Princess and Viking. We have two HAL, one Princess and one more Viking booked for 2024. Looking again at Seabourn and also Explora. Haven’t even looked/considered Celebrity due to recent management and pricing models. 

Celebrity was our “go to” line, but no longer. As many on the boards have said very sad to say.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Re having 'their own line in the sand'....and 100% sure....IMO there's no such thing in life as 100% sure of what you're getting, so it's a crap shoot in some respects.  But just tell us in plain English why we're not getting what we 'thought' we were paying for.  Then we can accept or not. 

If you have already paid, that just stinks. But maybe for the future you consider other options. I know I would. 

59 minutes ago, weregoingcruising said:

They will be available soon for another a fee. Rent-a-chair $10 a day.

39 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

If you have already paid, that just stinks. But maybe for the future you consider other options. I know I would. 

Fact?

I for one would like to have them explain why they were removed. If their position is that the loungers were remover for “security “ reasons, then explain why a chair is less of a “security” issue?

While I’m no lawyer, but it seems to me that the OP book/purchased his cruise based on a written description of what he was supposed to be booking. If Celebrity changes that without notification or some sort of compensation, then that would meet the definition of fraud, or at least bait and switch. With that said, I’m sure that somewhere, hidden amongst the multiple pages of their cruise contract, they have some sort of verbiage that justifies them doing it. Anyone who has cruised knows full well that their business practices wouldn’t work here in the US, that’s why they hide off shore.

I hope they remove the stairs soon.  Someone might fall.  Safer to take the elevator.

At work they added rubber to all the steps.  Someone fell down.  Probably because they weren’t using the hand rail.