The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday June 14th, 2024

Today is Chop Suey Day, Family History Day, and Flag Day

My mother was against me being an actress - until I introduced her to Frank Sinatra. - Angie Dickinson

Meal Suggestion for today - Open Faced Tuna Sandwich with Avocado
Drink of the Day - Hawaiian Mai Tai
Wine of the Day - Apothic Rosé
Destination of the Day - Dravuni Island, Fiji

Today in History:
1966 Miami beats St Petersburg (Florida State League) 4-3 in 29 innings longest uninterrupted game in organized baseball

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06-15

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Copenhagen, Denmark eta 06-15

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Livorno, Italy 08:00 - 21:00

Rotterdam

Harstad, Hinnoya Island Lofoten Norway 12:00 - 20:00

Volendam

Quebec City, Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Valdez, Alaska 12:00 - 23:00

Zaandam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30 ,13:00 - 22:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland eta 06-15

0614World.thumb.png.980711ce88e971107b9c82e30be64c1c.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 28

Today’s Care List:

Rafinmd having Cardiology tests today

Quartzsite Cruiser’s DH having shunt adjustment in Dallas today

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Cruzin Terri driving home from Jacksonville

Lazey1 recovering from Covid

Flooding and storms across the US, with loss of life

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Luvteaching having made progress with her stuck hip flexor muscle

Haljo1935 with a frozen shoulder, PT for now

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Lady Hudson!

Cruzin Terri made it to Jacksonville from Barbados

Welcome home Vict0riann’s Pat!

Catmando’s DB Scottie post stroke, out of ICU

Overhead Fred and DW at Canada Cottage

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Himself (Eurodam June 15 to June 22) 7 Day Alaska Explorer

Mtn2Sea (Cunard QM2 to June 15) 6d WB TA Crossing, Lady Hudson (Symphony of the Seas to June 21) 7 Night Bahamas & Perfect Day Cruise, with twin sister Karen, swin26 (Rotterdam to June 22) 14d North Cape & The Midnight Sun, Suslor (Rotterdam to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice and  StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 17
  • Thanks 27

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and  Dixie.  I’ll pass on the chop suey but celebrate the other two days, It is also my brother’s heavenly birthday.

A funny quote today,

I have not been to Dravuni Island.

29 innings is one LONG baseball game,.

I’ll pass on the meal meal..  My alternative is Sun Ripened Pineapple Delight, Basel Crusted  Veal Rack, and Tiramisu  as served on MS Prinsendam on June 14, 2015.

I hope I am ready for what comes later today.  Safe travels to Terri and Jim.  Welcome home..

Roy

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

Hawaiian Mai Tai:

Ingredients:

1 oz. Koloa Gold Rum
1/2 oz. Orange Curacao
1/2 oz. Orgeat-Almond Syrup
1/2 oz. sugar cane juice
1 oz. Fresh lime juice
Splash of Vanilla-Infused Simple syrup

Directions:

Shake the mixture and pour over Ice.
Add 1 oz. Kola Dark Rum for a floater
Garnish with a sprig of mint and pineapple slice.

Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 6.22.29 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 19

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 good days.

I usually get Chow mein rather than chop suey.

Great quote from a lovely actress.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We have never been to today's port.

Prayers for all on our care list.

I hope everyone has a fun and relaxing day.

• Like 30

Good morning friends!  We are at sea heading towards Isafjordur, Iceland with an ETA of Saturday, June 15.  Early this morning it was foggy and the foghorn was sounding, but now we have a few broken clouds with a good amount of sunshine and only 46F.  Winds are 15 mph from the ESE.  We crossed over the Arctic Circle a short time ago and we’re traveling at 11 knots.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.  Today is a nice day to celebrate Flag Day.  Family history can be fascinating and of course they must have a day for chop suey.  That’s a fun quote from Angie Dickinson.  The meal suggestion sounds okay though I eat very little avocado because of the texture.  Not sure about the Hawaiian Mai Tai but would probably appreciate the Rosé.  Oh my goodness on the 29 inning baseball game!  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope,and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports.

Prayers for all here on the Daily who are ailing, healing, grieving.  Hoping for better news for Jacqui @kazu, Tana, Terry @smitty34877 and family members, Jane @lazey1 , Elizabeth @Haljo1935, Chuck @catmando , Annie @marshhawk, Scottie, Jim and Terri @Cruzin Terri, Ann @Vict0riann, Nancy @ottahand7, Debbie @dfish and any others I may have failed to recognize.  Prayers too for DB, Alex’s twins, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our troops in the region.  🙏

Cheers sent up for anyone celebrating happy events and cruising.  Fair winds and following seas!  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for your outstanding work maintaining the C&C lists, even while caring for BFF and taking care of your own health needs.  🥂

The port of the day is Dravuni Island, Fiji.  This was our port on Sept. 23, 2021 and March 20, 2022.  In the past I’ve  said I hadn’t been there before but now I actually have that port on an upcoming booking, March 13, 2026 Island Princess 54 days round trip Los Angeles.  No long flights!  Here are the links to the previous two times Dravuni Island was shown here.

Yesterday I noticed I was coughing again after having a cold a month ago which luckily didn’t amount to a lot.  But before dinner in the Ocean Bar last night they were opening the doors to the Promenade deck a lot while putting up the tenders near us.  The cold air kept rushing through the port side where the dance floor and musicians play.  We moved to get out of the draft but it was still freezing cold in there.  Today my cough sounds terrible!  I don’t have other cold symptoms with it but I think I’ll spend most of the day in my cabin taking zinc lozenges and using cough drops and work on my cross stitch stocking project. 

Hoping everyone enjoys their Friday.  Please try to stay safe and keep well!  (Easier said than done, right?)

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and  Dixie.  I’ll pass on the chop suey but celebrate the other two days, It is also my brother’s heavenly birthday.

A funny quote today,

I’ll pass on the meal meal..  My alternative is Sun Ripened Pineapple Delight, Basel Crusted  Veal Rack, and Tiramisu  as served on MS Prinsendam on June 14, 2015.

I hope I am ready for what comes later today.  Safe travels to Terri and Jim.  Welcome home..

Roy

Good luck Roy!  I'm sure all will go well.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

A quick early good morning from central Texas before I start getting ready to head to Dallas.  As I expected, I woke up too early and couldn't get back to sleep.  According to the weather app, it's clear and 71F with a predicted high of 93F.

I don't remember the last time I had chop suey.  For the past few years, I've been looking into my family history.  Flag Day is another good day to celebrate.

An interesting quote from Angie Dickinson.

The meal sounds good if the avacado isn't too ripe.  Mai Tais are good, and the best place to have one is at the beach bar at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel watching the sun set behind Diamondhead.  I'll pass on the wine.

We have not been to Dravuni Island.

Wow on the 29 inning baseball game in 1966.

14 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

A funny quote today,

Roy

Roy, best wishes for today’s tests.

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We are at sea heading towards Isafjordur, Iceland with an ETA of Saturday, June 15.  Early this morning it was foggy and the foghorn was sounding, but now we have a few broken clouds with a good amount of sunshine and only 46F.  Winds are 15 mph from the ESE.  We crossed over the Arctic Circle a short time ago and we’re traveling at 11 knots.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.  Today is a nice day to celebrate Flag Day.  Family history can be fascinating and of course they must have a day for chop suey.  That’s a fun quote from Angie Dickinson.  The meal suggestion sounds okay though I eat very little avocado because of the texture.  Not sure about the Hawaiian Mai Tai but would probably appreciate the Rosé.  Oh my goodness on the 29 inning baseball game!  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope,and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports.

Prayers for all here on the Daily who are ailing, healing, grieving.  Hoping for better news for Jacqui @kazu, Tana, Terry @smitty34877 and family members, Jane @lazey1 , Elizabeth @Haljo1935, Chuck @catmando , Annie @marshhawk, Scottie, Jim and Terri @Cruzin Terri, Ann @Vict0riann, Nancy @ottahand7, Debbie @dfish and any others I may have failed to recognize.  Prayers too for DB, Alex’s twins, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our troops in the region.  🙏

Cheers sent up for anyone celebrating happy events and cruising.  Fair winds and following seas!  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for your outstanding work maintaining the C&C lists, even while caring for BFF and taking care of your own health needs.  🥂

The port of the day is Dravuni Island, Fiji.  This was our port on Sept. 23, 2021 and March 20, 2022.  In the past I’ve  said I hadn’t been there before but now I actually have that port on an upcoming booking, March 13, 2026 Island Princess 54 days round trip Los Angeles.  No long flights!  Here are the links to the previous two times Dravuni Island was shown here.

Yesterday I noticed I was coughing again after having a cold a month ago which luckily didn’t amount to a lot.  But before dinner in the Ocean Bar last night they were opening the doors to the Promenade deck a lot while putting up the tenders near us.  The cold air kept rushing through the port side where the dance floor and musicians play.  We moved to get out of the draft but it was still freezing cold in there.  Today my cough sounds terrible!  I don’t have other cold symptoms with it but I think I’ll spend most of the day in my cabin taking zinc lozenges and using cough drops and work on my cross stitch stocking project. 

Hoping everyone enjoys their Friday.  Please try to stay safe and keep well!  (Easier said than done, right?)

Sandi, I hope you get rid of that cough soon.

Lenda

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Reports!!  I do enjoy coming to read this thread and feeling the caring and sharing y'all have here!!!

Happy Flag Day to each of us in the USA!!  And Family History and Chop Suey Days, too!!!

• Like 31

@JazzyV Thank you for the ideas about sourdough!!  I am trying to be patient and let this starter go for days before I make a couple loaves!  I love homemade bread and all the better when it's that good sourdough taste!  

@rafinmd  Prayers for a good outcome today and for your comfort!!!  And for the Doctor to find what they need to find to diagnosis and treat what ails you!!!  HUGS!!

And all the Dailyites...  Have a wonderful Friday the 14th!!!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thank you for the Report.

A bright sunny morning after a thunderstorm in the night.  Jim sat up with Bertie during the worst of it, I see naps for them this afternoon.

Interesting days, I like chop suey, I know some of our family history, I love our flag.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, but I'll try the drink, hope the wine is tasty too.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for our world.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

Have a great day.

• Like 32

Good Friday morning. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports.

I have returned from my trip to Charlotte. The conference was a great experience. Was so busy that I have not had a chance to catch up with CC. My presentation was a success as well. Met lots of wonderful colleagues. 

Today, its back to work. I have to grade final papers for one class. I start a new class next week of 20 students. I think this university where I teach is hiring less adjuncts and increasing class sizes. 

While away, I was able to make reservations for dining for my cruise on the NCL Sky in October. 117 days to go. I have read a lot of people complaining about this ship, on all cruise lines really. I am not a fancy person so, if there is food, I will eat it. I will always find something good to eat on a cruise ship. Next year will be Eurodam to Alaska. Who knows where in 2026. There could be a transatlantic. Maybe? 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.jpeg.bfb05cbd11b4da319f8a20cf86336492.jpeg

• Like 37
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

A funny quote today,

Roy

Best wishes for today Roy.

Graham.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Happy Friday!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 33

Good Friday morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily and the Maps Rich.  John has been delving into family history after doing his genetic test and then getting into the genealogy through that venue.     I can't remember when the last time I had Chop Suey.    I look forward to photos of today's port in Fiji.   I will pass on the meal and the cocktail but a Rose' wine would be nice.   

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.  Prayers for you today Roy and all good results and in remembrance of your DB..  Prayers for Tana, Chuck, Jacqui and Terrie and Jim.   Prayers for everyone else who is grieving or hurting.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.  

A beautiful day ahead of us today so I will do some laundry and work in my garden.  Thanks everyone for the concern about my back the last few weeks.  One more day on prednisone and then I will switch to an RX anti-inflammatory that I was trying to cut back on when it started up again.  They work well but that class of drugs are hard on the kidneys and I have taken it for many years off and on since I turned 40 and came down with RA.  As long as I leave the string trimmer in the garage and not overdo things I hope I can prevent it from returning for the summer.  Have a lovely Friday! Nancy 

A long straw 62919.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! This morning’s marine layer was colored by the rising sun. It was gorgeous. Sadly I didn’t think of taking a picture. Yesterday was actually comfortable with the offshore breezes keeping the humidity away - and probably keeping the rain away too. The videos from Miami and the surrounding towns are scary. I am not sure I would try driving through those streets. Rain is still in the forecast, but other than a short shower on Tuesday and some mist Wednesday morning - nothing has shown up. Our poor farmers. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. You really help tie our community together. I appreciate the work that goes into your lists. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, a visit to the Beachfront Winery to score some of their baguettes for a post wine tasting gathering at a friend’s. They have the best baguettes around. I might have to enjoy some wine & look at the ocean waves, while I am there. 😎

IMG_3005.jpeg.b071e2961df2c81504e5981ca662b6d6.jpeg

IMG_3004.jpeg.42edb77346a32b3ba96ebcc37057a619.jpeg

IMG_3008.jpeg.b7f7538664f305f5b62774111be15162.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Hope all goes well today, Roy! Terry, happy that the ladies are feeling better. Hope the gents get well quickly. Lenda, hope all goes well for Steve’s shunt adjustment today. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @Cruzin Terri Terri, boy was I happy that you & Jim reached Jacksonville safely! Safe travels home & may you have left the bad luck in Barbados. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Apothic Rosé

This California rosé sounds interesting. I don’t usually gravitate towards rosés, but this one is certainly priced to try. And I appreciate their effort to educate the public about their wine. Their passion is showing. Easy to find, too. Online prices start at $8.48.

Winemaker’s notes
Our 2022 Apothic Rosé offers the lightness of rose petals with the boldness of sun-ripened red fruit notes. Aromas of wild strawberry, watermelon and white peach hint open in the glass before revealing layers of strawberry, cherry and red plum. The floral and citrus notes linger, leading to a deliciously smooth mouthfeel with a refreshingly clean finish and a dollop of honey. 
Viticulture Notes
The 2022 growing season was very similar to the previous vintage, with a dry winter and spring. Summer heat accelerated sugar accumulation in white grape varieties and led to an early harvest. The grapes for white wine came in with ideal acidity and concentrated flavor characteristics. 
Winemaking Notes
We predominantly harvest the grapes for this blend at night. This allows us to preserve both bright fruit components and helps to limit color extraction. The grapes were given a gentle whole-cluster pressing and fermented at cool temperatures to preserve the delicate flavors and aromas. To help develop that lovely soft mouthfeel, a small portion of the wine underwent malolactic fermentation. The wine was kept cool until blending to maintain a perfect balance of acid and fruit.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 1