Odyssey vs Celebrity Silhouette?

1 hour ago, Cruiscs said:

Is it similar to Wonderland? How did you enjoy Silhouette the ship itself?

Honestly, I think Wonderland is kind of creepy looking.🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

True that.  😄

They put great work into making it a fanciful experience but it's become almost too much of a novelty.  We enjoyed it but I think, like a lot of folks, unfortunately it's a one and done.  The food needs to be just a step up in the flavor/taste to match the fun presentations and environment.

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Not trying to argue, but...   Having been on the sister ship to both the Odyssey and Solstice, I can say that the ships are very different.   Far more different than similar.

My input:

The Silhouette is the 'ol classic style of cruise ship.  It is focused on relaxation.  It has a nice indoor pool area if needed.  It has the two centrums, one by each elevator bank rather than the open promenade or Esplanade on most Royal ships.  It has the nice lawn area up top, and I love the aft Sunset bar. Sport and activity venues are almost non existent, not even a putt putt course.  We were just on the sister ship The Equinox 6 months ago and honestly it felt a little dated and sleepy.

The Quantum (and Quantum Ultra) class are a lot bigger that Solstice with far more to offer.  The 270 venue in the back is pretty stellar.  Love that it still has a nice large multi-story open area (Esplanade) in the center of the ship along with the 2 story Music Hall.  The solarium on the Quantum classes is FANTASTIC and has the nice quiet complimentary Solarium Bistro attached.  Besides that there is a TON to do on the ship as far as activities.  Then you have the internal Seaplex with Playmakers. Also, Royal's entertainment in the main theater is far superior to what we saw on Equinox this past December.

If it was purely about the ship the Odyssey wins hands down in my opinion.  The Silhouette isn't bad though, still very nice, but just much quieter.

All that being said, the Med. is about the ports and you spend a LOT of time off the ship so you have to balance what's most important to you... itinerary or ship.  Maybe you can find a combo of both

You missed my entire point. Both of the ships are basically the same design. Royal made it theirs and Celebrity made it their own also. However they were basically built from the same original design....it's how they were outfitted thats very different.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bajathree said:

You missed my entire point. Both of the ships are basically the same design. Royal made it theirs and Celebrity made it their own also. However they were basically built from the same original design....it's how they were outfitted thats very different.

I'll just have to respectfully disagree. 

It's not just how they are outfitted, but the physical size and design is different.  The Odyssey is an approximately 40% larger ship.  Having been on both classes the size difference is not trivial.

Silhouette:

Tonnage  122,210 GT
Length    1,033 ft 
Beam    121 ft 

Capacity    2,886 passengers

Odyssey

Tonnage    168,666 GT
Length    1,138 ft
Beam    135 ft
Capacity  5,510 passengers

Happy cruising

29 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I'll just have to respectfully disagree. 

It's not just how they are outfitted, but the physical size and design is different.  The Odyssey is an approximately 40% larger ship.  Having been on both classes the size difference is not trivial.

Silhouette:

Tonnage  122,210 GT
Length    1,033 ft 
Beam    121 ft 

Capacity    2,886 passengers

Odyssey

Tonnage    168,666 GT
Length    1,138 ft
Beam    135 ft
Capacity  5,510 passengers

Happy cruising

We can agree to disagree..your taking way to literal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

Is it similar to Wonderland? How did you enjoy Silhouette the ship itself?

See your question on La Petit Chef was answered, definitely not the same.

As for Silhouette we have been on her 3 times, 2 shorter 1 longer and would not hesitate to book again.  Have also been on Reflection which is very similar.  As someone else said loved the Sunset Bar as well as the Martini Bar in the evenings.  We always found something to do at night, although it might only be 1 thing at a time.  We are older than you are but do enjoy ourselves on vacation.  With your itinerary I am sure you will be just fine.  Enjoy your trip and don't second guess yourself.

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Are you referring to the venue or the menu selections.😁

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

That is great info and I wasn't aware of that. Thanks!

Looking the press release, the refurb definitely freshened everything up and has it looking fresh and new.  That's excellent and I wish we could have experienced that more recently on the Equinox. We were on the Navigator just a few weeks after it was AMPED back in 2019 and it was like a brand new ship compared to our previous sailing on her...  Absolutely loved it.

Unfortunately for many, the Retreat area on the Silhouette now removes access to more of the ship unless you spend the $$$ on a suite to gain access.  Just me, but I'm not a fan of large portions of a ship being off limits unless you pay to play.  I feel the same with NCL and MSC doing similar.  The Silhouette isn't a huge ship to begin with, so taking away public space is a detriment to us since we don't sail suites.  Having said that, besides the freshening up, I think the bulk of my comparison still applies.  I'm not trying to knock the Solstice class, even though it probably sounds that way :).  They are great ships too, just different.  Depends on what you're going after.

https://www.celebritycruisespresscenter.com/press-release/1156/celebrity-silhouette-completes-dramatic-bow-to-stern-modernization/#:~:text=All staterooms and suites have,TVs%2C upgraded amenities and more.

5 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

That is great info and I wasn't aware of that. Thanks!

Looking the press release, the refurb definitely freshened everything up and has it looking fresh and new.  That's excellent and I wish we could have experienced that more recently on the Equinox. We were on the Navigator just a few weeks after it was AMPED back in 2019 and it was like a brand new ship compared to our previous sailing on her...  Absolutely loved it.

Unfortunately for many, the Retreat area on the Silhouette now removes access to more of the ship unless you spend the $$$ on a suite to gain access.  Just me, but I'm not a fan of large portions of a ship being off limits unless you pay to play.  I feel the same with NCL and MSC doing similar.  The Silhouette isn't a huge ship to begin with, so taking away public space is a detriment to us since we don't sail suites.  Having said that, besides the freshening up, I think the bulk of my comparison still applies.  I'm not trying to knock the Solstice class, even though it probably sounds that way :).  They are great ships too, just different.  Depends on what you're going after.

https://www.celebritycruisespresscenter.com/press-release/1156/celebrity-silhouette-completes-dramatic-bow-to-stern-modernization/#:~:text=All staterooms and suites have,TVs%2C upgraded amenities and more.

At least on the S class ships that have been revolutionized, which I believe is only Silhouette and Equinox(partway) the area that is now the Retreat sundeck is an area that many never bothered with since it is not accessible by elevator.  Is a full sun area that can be prohibitive.  We don't have any issue with that part of the conversion. The Sky Lounge is still an open area for all to enjoy.  On the Edge Class the entire front of the ship on the upper decks are either suites or suite only areas.  Don't like that and don't like much of anything about the E class ships in general. 

We enjoyed the Anthem so I get what you are saying about that class.  The Odyssey being newer makes it enticing, newer ships always do, we're booked on a 4 nt on Utopia this fall mostly because it's new.  But we are following it up with a 4 nt on Equinox..... the best of both worlds...for us.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The venue is as far as I've gotten. That was enough for me.

We tried it..... still have no idea what most of the different dishes were that we were served and most were average at best..   Wouldn't go again.  Although we did love the guy that was dressed as the Mad Hatter!!!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'd love to have her back in Ft. Lauderdale. I guess I really like Odyssey since it is the first ship to make me actually contemplate doing a sailing out of NJ.

I had a Greek Isles cruise booked for July 2025 on Voyager and I switched it to Odyssey a couple months ago because I really wanted to sail on her.  I'm originally from Long Island (live in GA now) and after a lot of thought I decided I'd rather not fly up to NYC during the winter just to sail on Odyssey.  I'd much rather fly to FL and do a winter cruise from there...

8 minutes ago, Southern Dan said:

I had a Greek Isles cruise booked for July 2025 on Voyager and I switched it to Odyssey a couple months ago because I really wanted to sail on her.  I'm originally from Long Island (live in GA now) and after a lot of thought I decided I'd rather not fly up to NYC during the winter just to sail on Odyssey.  I'd much rather fly to FL and do a winter cruise from there...

I would only consider an NJ sailing because I could either drive or even take Amtrak. My preference is sailing from Ft. Lauderdale. I would like to get back on Odyssey though. The ship has won be over. If RCI would move Mamma Mia onto the ship it would be awesome.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2024 at 4:33 PM, bajathree said:

I would have to debate you on that....I think Odyssey has a more upscale feel. Overall is Celebrity a more upscale experience....yes...but ship wise Odyssey is much more cutting Edge (no pun intended).

I would definitely agree as well.  some of the S class ships are getting a little tired as well.  We just got off the edge and edge and odyssey were on par IMHO 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2024 at 3:38 PM, bajathree said:

Have you been on either ship? The design/layout of both ships is very different. Additionally, Odyssey is significantly bigger than Silhouette. Despite these differences, I like both ships. 

On 6/17/2024 at 9:38 PM, bajathree said:

They come from the same yard in Germany and the idea was indeed to copy some internal (!) Celebrity design elements and vibe from Solstize Class into a new Royal class of ships but the overall ship design and size is completely different. 

43 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Have you been on either ship? The design/layout of both ships is very different. Additionally, Odyssey is significantly bigger than Silhouette. Despite these differences, I like both ships. 

Which ship do you prefer and why?

On 6/17/2024 at 3:44 PM, Gracie115 said:

We've been on both classes.  Silhouette is our favorite ship overall of any we've been on.  It's also been "revolutionized"  so more up to date than other "S" class ships.  We spent 23 days on Anthem, same class as Odyssey and have to say we enjoy Silhouette more. 

Did you enjoy the experience on Silhouette best or the ship itself better?

1 hour ago, Cruiscs said:

Did you enjoy the experience on Silhouette best or the ship itself better?

The "S" class on Celebrity is our favorite class of ship of any line.  It's a nice size, we've never felt crowded on it.  It has good specialty restaurants, we think better than any on Royal ships and the Silhouette has The Lawn Club Grill which is a really nice change from other dining venues that we have enjoyed.  Only it and Reflection have that.  But Silhouette has the full Sky Lounge on deck 14 at the bow of the ship, while Reflection only one half that size due to the addition of suites in that area.  Service has always been great.  We've been on her for a couple Transatlantics and for a Med cruise, one port intensive the other 2 not. So I guess we like both the experience and ship best.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

The "S" class on Celebrity is our favorite class of ship of any line.  It's a nice size, we've never felt crowded on it.  It has good specialty restaurants, we think better than any on Royal ships and the Silhouette has The Lawn Club Grill which is a really nice change from other dining venues that we have enjoyed.  Only it and Reflection have that.  But Silhouette has the full Sky Lounge on deck 14 at the bow of the ship, while Reflection only one half that size due to the addition of suites in that area.  Service has always been great.  We've been on her for a couple Transatlantics and for a Med cruise, one port intensive the other 2 not. So I guess we like both the experience and ship best.

Nice. But it is not dated and «tired»?

Edited by Cruiscs

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

Which ship do you prefer and why?

Silhouette for several reasons including the layout of the ship and I think the overall experience on Celebrity is a notch above RCI. While I like Odyssey too, I am not the biggest fan of the layout of Quantum class ships. Additionally, I don’t like the location and design of Playmaker’s, the Schooner Bar and the Pub on Odyssey compared to other RCI ship classes. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Silhouette for several reasons including the layout of the ship and I think the overall experience on Celebrity is a notch above RCI. While I like Odyssey too, I am not the biggest fan of the layout of Quantum class ships. Additionally, I don’t like the location and design of Playmaker’s, the Schooner Bar and the Pub on Odyssey compared to other RCI ship classes. 

I agree that Q class ships have some quirks to their layout. Somehow, Odyssey has enough going for it that the quirks ended up not bothering me.

I'm also not a huge fan of the production shows on Odyssey. They are more like the old RCI Singers and Dancers shows with more high tech added in. They don't match up with O class shows. I very much like having a more "classic" type Schooner Bar on Q class compared to O class ships.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Yes....I have been on all the Solstice series ships as well as Odyssey several times....as well as Edge class..

Edited by bajathree