Is the Oceania menu as limited as their website says?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nachosdelux said:

If it is in your budget, you may want to consider a Penthouse Suite on Oceania.

you can order room service from any of the specialty restaurants (even from multiple restaurants the same meal)

Our experience is they discourage ordering from  two different restaurants for the same meal.  Interested in others' experiences.  Some reaturants share the same kitchen and perhaps that is an exception.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, clo said:

Wagyu isn't an upgrade?

On the Menu up at the top it says 100% Black Angus -Wagyu is now just a name for a black angus burger with rustic tomatoes and black truffle sauce. At least that’s the way I read it. I’m sure it will ge a good burger.

5 hours ago, clo said:

That's a 4oz burger, onion, avocado, tomato and I think mushrooms. Pretty healthy actually.

Well that photo one can only say great marketing, super good food stylist and a great photo shot.

2 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Our experience is they discourage ordering from  two different restaurants for the same meal.  Interested in others' experiences.  Some reaturants share the same kitchen and perhaps that is an exception.

In our suite we could order from more than one restaurant.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 7:24 PM, CaptainCook808 said:

One problem I have is my cancer treatment killed all my saliva cells. That limits what I can eat. For example, the only steak I can eat is filet, anything else is 3 - 5 minutes of chewing per bite (not fun).

…same here, finished up treatment this past January and have same saliva issues, but sense of taste has improved greatly, although not 100%. We had to cancel our Feb Vista trip, but we are looking forward to our return to Oceania this summer.  Best of luck to you.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Thought2go said:

On the Menu up at the top it says 100% Black Angus -Wagyu is now just a name for a black angus burger with rustic tomatoes and black truffle sauce. At least that’s the way I read it. I’m sure it will ge a good burger.

I had it several times on our 20 day cruise- it was a very good burger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 5:43 PM, CaptainCook808 said:

Hi all;

We are considering Oceania because they focus on having the best food of any line and the food is a big deal to us. But I went and looked at the menus on the Sirena which has:

So The Grand Dining Room has nothing that appeals to us. The Terrace Cafe has some things that are ok (pasta, burgers) but nothing great. And we'll get very tired of that over time. The Waves Grill looks great - but lunch only and not that many choices so for anything over a week long cruise, way too repetitive. (Tuscan Steak we would happily hit every night, but it's a one night only restaurant.)

Are the menus in the above links accurate? I assumed a focus on food would deliver a much wider selection. The Regent has an incredibly wide selection (all good to great) and Viking has a pretty wide selection (2 - 3 times the number of choices on Oceania). So if it's this limited, I'm very surprised. Hopefully these menus are inaccurate and there are additional choices.

thanks - dave

The short answer to the question in your title is a pretty hard no. 

17 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Did you not enjoy either the Wiener Schnitzel or Milanese di Vitello on O?

They’ve never been on Oceania and from the looks of things probably never will. 

16 minutes ago, ORV said:

They’ve never been on Oceania and from the looks of things probably never will. 

OOPS! I should’ve instead asked if they like those items - expecting the answer to be something like “too exotic.” 
(Of course, either could pass for a version of “chicken fried steak.”😎)

The point I had hoped to make is that “picky” eaters sometimes never get past the name of a dish on a menu. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clarku said:

…same here, finished up treatment this past January and have same saliva issues, but sense of taste has improved greatly, although not 100%. We had to cancel our Feb Vista trip, but we are looking forward to our return to Oceania this summer.  Best of luck to you.

Best to you too. I found that my tastes mostly reverted back to what they were. But it takes time. For example, I could not stand spaghetti after for about 18 months. Then liked it again.

And sip water with every bite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Flatbush Flyer said:

OOPS! I should’ve instead asked if they like those items - expecting the answer to be something like “too exotic.” 
(Of course, either could pass for a version of “chicken fried steak.”😎)

The point I had hoped to make is that “picky” eaters sometimes never get past the name of a dish on a menu. 

Most items can be made without the sauce, or other items. I often find sauces to be too salty, ad sometimes ask for it either on the side or not at all. Sides can be changed or eliminated. Having a Filet every night certainly would be doable.

4 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Most items can be made without the sauce, or other items. I often find sauces to be too salty, ad sometimes ask for it either on the side or not at all. Sides can be changed or eliminated. Having a Filet every night certainly would be doable.

I agree with you. I think it’s a case of just ‘asking’. In a similar way to Oceania accommodating celiacs I’m sure they would accommodate the OP’s preferences.

12 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Well that photo one can only say great marketing, super good food stylist and a great photo shot.

LOL. People ask how we eat them and I say "squish and nibble."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I wonder what would happen if "Chilean sea bass" were properly called "Patagonian tooth fish"???

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

We have a place where we get CFS when we go there and always ask for "gravy on the side" and another place that has (truly) award winning fried chicken. We ask for the very spicy sauce on the side. No problemo.

1 hour ago, clo said:

We have a place where we get CFS when we go there and always ask for "gravy on the side" and another place that has (truly) award winning fried chicken. We ask for the very spicy sauce on the side. No problemo.

And my mother insisted that the gravy belonged underneath the chicken fried steak. I never asked her why and it's too late now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

And my mother insisted that the gravy belonged underneath the chicken fried steak. I never asked her why and it's too late now.

Whatever floats your steak...uh, I mean boat. 😉

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

In my experience you're pretty much dead on with that statement. I know some people that are not at all travelled, with little food experience, that are absolutely overwhelmed when they see the names of many dishes. They have no idea what they are and are flummoxed on what to order. On the other hand if they can see it at a buffet, or had it set in front of them they would probably love it. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2024 at 6:43 PM, CaptainCook808 said:

Hi all;

We are considering Oceania because they focus on having the best food of any line and the food is a big deal to us. But I went and looked at the menus on the Sirena which has:

So The Grand Dining Room has nothing that appeals to us. The Terrace Cafe has some things that are ok (pasta, burgers) but nothing great. And we'll get very tired of that over time. The Waves Grill looks great - but lunch only and not that many choices so for anything over a week long cruise, way too repetitive. (Tuscan Steak we would happily hit every night, but it's a one night only restaurant.)

Are the menus in the above links accurate? I assumed a focus on food would deliver a much wider selection. The Regent has an incredibly wide selection (all good to great) and Viking has a pretty wide selection (2 - 3 times the number of choices on Oceania). So if it's this limited, I'm very surprised. Hopefully these menus are inaccurate and there are additional choices.

thanks - dave

I know that you have decided that Oceania is not for you.   As a closing note, it has been ironic that you claim the Oceania menu is limited while your posts indicate that you yourself have a very narrow perspective on what is acceptable.  You seem to want all beef all the time prepared in a few specific ways.  There is, of course, nothing wrong with wanting the same thing all the time.  But it does make one smile when that narrow focus hits the complaint of a lack of variety.

I wish you well in finding the line that will serve you the perfect hamburger and steak for an entire cruise.

Edited by Woodrowst
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Woodrowst said:

I know that you have decided that Oceania is not for you.   As a closing note, it has been ironic that you claim the Oceania menu is limited while your posts indicate that you yourself have a very narrow perspective on what is acceptable.

My point in using the word "limited" is that the menus seem to be 99% aimed at foodies. So limited in terms of appealing to only that group.

You are correct that a menu I would like does not need to have much on it. My point is that a menu that has both the items for foodies and the items for those of us that are meat & potatoes people (non-foodies?) would be broader in that it would appeal to a wider swath of passengers.

With that said, just like there are a lot of restaurants that are foodies only, as well as a lot of restaurants the are non-foodies only, it makes sense that there will be 1 or 2 cruise lines that are primarily foodies only. And thanks to this thread, I know that Oceania is one of those, and therefore not for me.

• Haha 1

I, myself and partner really haven't had a problem with the food selection in any of the restaurants.  We always can find something we like or want to try.....after a few days on the ship will order a large salad, or sandwich and settle comfortably in the suite and watch a movie.  At home we just don't eat 3 full meals, snacks ----and we won't be doing it on the ship either.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I have never been entirely sure what a "foodie" is...

Someone with a superiority complex who in reality knows little or nothing about fine cuisine, cooking, food or the restaurant business .

• Like 2
  • Haha 8