taking buffet food out of buffet restaurant

One cruise I was touring the Belikin Brewery in Belize. After the tour, free beers flowed in the Tap room. My 8-year-old daughter was drinking a coke, as she got hungry, she pulled out a napkin holding easily 8 strips of bacon she had smuggled off the ship without us knowing. The unintentional polluting of pork upon a foreign country.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Rib Jig said:

but what about taking it off ship?

are there signs at Mediterranean ports forbidding non-sealed food,

fruit, sandwiches, etc.?

Yes there are signs forbidding taking food off the ship on Med cruises. 

• Like 1

You should plan on at least stopping once or twice to buy a coffee or a sandwich, otherwise you will have no place to go to the bathroom. Europe is not like the US with lots of public restrooms. And you can't use the ones in cafes or restaurants unless you buy something. Or you could bring Depends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have taken food out of the buffet many times walking right past the washy-washy crew.  I never even gave it a thought that it may not be allowed.

As for taking food off the ship, I highly advise to be sure you follow not only NCL's rules but also the local government's laws and regulations.  I've certainly passed many working dogs entering and exiting the ship.  Most are looking for drugs, but some could be trained for other contraband like foods.

Even a short delay with local authorities could make you miss the boat.

5 minutes ago, itsnotjustme said:

I have taken food out of the buffet many times walking right past the washy-washy crew.  I never even gave it a thought that it may not be allowed.

It's probably like many rules, unenforced until somebody causes a problem.  That banana in my pocket?  Nobody cares.  Three dinner plates packed with cookies, cake, hamburgers, fries, roast beef, chicken legs, jello, etc?  That's when they step in and say "whoa, not so fast there partner."

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It's probably like many rules, unenforced until somebody causes a problem.  That banana in my pocket?  Nobody cares.  Three dinner plates packed with cookies, cake, hamburgers, fries, roast beef, chicken legs, jello, etc?  That's when they step in and say "whoa, not so fast there partner."

I noticed you didn’t mention hash browns.  What’s up with that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, bluefish17 said:

You should plan on at least stopping once or twice to buy a coffee or a sandwich, otherwise you will have no place to go to the bathroom. Europe is not like the US with lots of public restrooms. And you can't use the ones in cafes or restaurants unless you buy something. Or you could bring Depends.

Museums, with DW being an art teacher (now retired), we visit many and they all have bathrooms that you can use.

15 hours ago, bluefish17 said:

There are probably more public bathrooms than in NYC, and establishments there won’t let you use the bathroom without a purchase. A tip I learned is to find the floor with conference rooms, can usually find an open bathroom there. Might need to take the stairs since most hotels require a hotel key to use elevators.

• Like 1

Our daily sea day ritual on the Jade in February was to grab pizza and fries from the buffet right after it opened and take them to the pool. Always walked right by the Washy Washy girl and nothing was ever said. Now, if I didn't clean my hands, she might have had a problem.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stellarose33 said:

taking food from the Buffet and going the pool is just getting food from the outside areas. as a vegetarian- I hit the buffet (well on CCL ) and take it to my seat.

Not sure what you're getting at. We didn't take any food from the outside area (even though they had some stuff (burgers, hot dogs) outside next to the Pool Bar). This was from the INSIDE buffet and then taken OUTSIDE.

Edited by schmoopie17

8 minutes ago, CroozeNoob said:

Ok...now that you've posted a link to an expensive purse (I know, not expensive relative to luxury brands and not really a purse), I'm finding it hard to think you're not serious. Yikes!!

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

There are probably more public bathrooms than in NYC, and establishments there won’t let you use the bathroom without a purchase. A tip I learned is to find the floor with conference rooms, can usually find an open bathroom there. Might need to take the stairs since most hotels require a hotel key to use elevators.

Agree with this.  Just wanted to add that when I'm showing visitors around Manhattan I use the bathrooms in department stores.  Regarding the original question:  When we were younger, had more energy and had seen fewer places we would prioritize touring time above all else.  With only one day in a new port that made sense.  Now we need the rest so we do some mid-day "cafe sitting".  Another factor is that we live in in NY rather than a rural area.  This means we can get very high quality ethnic cuisines at home which makes sampling local food less of a priority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

expensive purse...

You do no handbag shopping...?
$160 is typical in name brand stores...

in this case ~$20 for the cooler

~$140 for handbag "disguise"...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2024 at 11:21 AM, Rib Jig said:

our previous cruse on Joy thru West Caribbean,

Garden Cafe on Joy seemed loose about it, no warning signs;

e.g., small cereal boxes for day snacks whilst exploring ports;

now pending:  🥪__ 🥪__ 🥪

Barcelona > Venice > Barcelona B2B rt Jun 23 > Jul 14 NCL Escape;

we are thinking take small containers for "picnic" ship buffet food;

prioritize exploring time vs. lunch restaurant dining at busy ports: Rome, Pisa, etc.

so what, if any, are ship rules wrt taking food from buffet restaurant

for cabin, for port visits?  (we are NOT heavy eaters nor do we waste) 
Thanks in advance.

The rules at all ports are very simple. You may not take any food off the ship. People here make up stuff about being pre-packed, in a sealed container (more than zip lock), etc. The ship's rules to comply with port rules are no food off. Some ports actually check (Cozumel being one of them). Most don't. But if you want someone to say "yes, perfectly fine", that is inconsistent with the cruise line rules. It is on the front page of the Freestyle Dailies. 

image.png.e6034743a653ff23fa7aa057cbb112ff.png

For that matter, it is illegal to bring food into the United States without first declaring it with Customs and Border Protection. Sealed or otherwise. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

On 6/18/2024 at 8:36 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Trust me when I say, they won't stop you even with all that. LOL I bring my buffet dinner(s) back to my room often. I don't recall seeing any signage prohibiting it. 

• Like 1

The thread is hard to follow, but my only question is, "Why would someone take NCL buffet food into a port"? Are you really that desperate for time and money that you can't enjoy some actual, authentic, delicious local food?

I think I missed something here.

• Like 1

I'm going to emphasize what a few others have said.  Trying to save time/money by taking free ship food ashore so you can spend more time sightseeing is missing the point of cultural immersion.  Food IS culture.  Instead, research the best restaurants in the cities you're going to but at least blocks away from the main tourist areas.  TripAdvisor steers you right at least 90% of the time.

That said, if none of that resonates with you, pop a few cheerios while touring a Roman Colosseum, whether it be in Rome, Arles (better) or elsewhere.  Note the colosseum in Arles is still used for man vs. beast battle to the death today.  Not to mention you can see the cafe Van Gogh made famous.  For God's sake the man cut off his ear here and you don't want to visit???

😁 🏴‍☠️

Hope you have fun!

licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-IrpJLQK1rSf1Ppm_D7Q8CYWMcJX0AdXKdejxt3sQCtQOrdGaAcIT-b12R9tAm7kW4Oib3q3XS8vC2ggfThosrUQtTtcYl6HGJLowsA

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Café Terrace at Night is an 1888 oil painting by the Dutch artist Vincent van Gogh. It is also known as The Cafe Terrace on the Place du Forum, and, when first exhibited in 1891, was entitled Coffeehouse, in the evening (Café, le soir

Thanks for that. We booked early an excursion to Arles from Marseilles on the NCL Epic in 2012. It was cancelled as not enough passengers booked the tour. The folks at the excursion desk apologized, and told us that they were trying to get passengers to book it as it was a great tour.

Edited by ontheweb
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

The thread is hard to follow, but my only question is, "Why would someone take NCL buffet food into a port"? Are you really that desperate for time and money that you can't enjoy some actual, authentic, delicious local food?

I think I missed something here.

Well, we bring our own prepackaged snacks just in case, 2 of my daughters have celiac and sometimes struggle finding food. We are big foodies, we will pretty much eat anything and enjoy trying new foods, but it’s not always possible.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Well, we bring our own prepackaged snacks just in case, 2 of my daughters have celiac and sometimes struggle finding food. We are big foodies, we will pretty much eat anything and enjoy trying new foods, but it’s not always possible.

I completely get this! I don't have any food sensitivities, except I can feel very bad in different ways =(for example migraine) if I don't get something to eat in a long time. So I always keep a protein bar (or two) in my day backpack. That bar can be there for several trips because I prefer getting something "fresh" and it's very rare that I can't find anything unless out hiking. But just knowing it's there makes me feel "safe". My bars are not from the buffet though... 

• Like 1

For the most part you can get away with it. But it is a country's right to enforce their own laws. I don't want to be the unlucky one who is facing legal consequences in a foreign port. Be particularly aware that fresh fruits are a major concern. You'd probably be in less trouble for a ham sandwich than an apple.

Another thought - you would go to Italy and NOT try a pizza or gelato? I shudder to imagine...