2026 NCL Cruise Critic cruise (proposed)

10 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

She is such a downer.

At least it's not Jane (ala Jane Curtin and Dan Aykroyd).

Better tread lightly here. Jane may or may not be Mrs. Schmoopie's name.

• Haha 4

On 8/3/2024 at 9:30 AM, mking8288 said:

Yulp, next 30 days at sea with be away from our usual "home away from home" or NCL. Then, we'll rest briefly and "Escape" again, checking out GSC construction progress, hopefully - wanna consider it ??  

Lately, it's been a lot of arrrrrr's practicing relaxation reclined in the dental chair to get work done, root canal completed.  Just had more posts prep'd 3 days ago & getting sultures taking out next week - on a soft & liquid/puree diet for up to 2 weeks.  One final set of implant in 3 to 4 weeks on the upper, between Cunard & RC sailing and then for bonding & healing, fitting and caps/crowns, etc. - still a long way to go ... literally, putting the money where the mouth is.  Dentures, no more.  

2024 must be the Year of the Surgery. You, graphicguy and me. I have three surgeries before the end of the year, starting with rotater cuff next week.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, omahabob said:

2024 must be the Year of the Surgery. You, graphicguy and me. I have three surgeries before the end of the year, starting with rotater cuff next week.

Sending positive vibes your way so that we can all celebrate 2025 as the Year of Health & Hilarity on a fun-filled #SchmoopieFest cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

TGIF or is it 😬  Good morning to all the CC comrades.  Looks like Debby is going to sideswipe downstate NY (although we did our usual tropical storm prep more than 48 hours ago) based on the latest NHC forecasted track this morning whereas @cruiseny4life further north upstate might wish to be on guard and @JIMEOPUS is probably on the fringe - heavy rainfall, (urban) flash flooding & risk of tornadoes over the next 12 to 15 hours ... before this post-trop cyclone system sweep across VT across Quebec/Maine, etc. 

Collage_2024-08-08_20_24_49.thumb.jpg.30b22839c77746d6fefcd92f357fe84b.jpg

@Sugar Magnolia  passed by one of the Carlo's last week but nope with the stitches.  Was a busy Thursday with scheduled CT scans for both of us in the morning, then seen & cleared by dentist in the afternoon.  Taking a "break" for next 5 weeks, postponed another procedure until we get back from Alaska. 

Positive vibes definitely appropriate for our friend @graphicguy as he's on the countdown and probably going to have pre-op work up.  Knowing Dan ... he's taking it in strife and it's not a big deal and all.  STILL a major procedure, unlike dental extraction, root canal and implant (although one never get used to the sound of the drill & the probe or the "slight" pinch after being numb first ...)   Will be thinking about his post-op and positive recovery in the weeks ahead, with a sooner rather than later return to cruising and travel again.  

@omahabob  Think and be positive, I call these our healthcare & wellness cycles that, as we mature in our "latter" years, that we cannot simply ignore - without it, cruising becomes next to impossible and/or with difficult challenges.  It's up to us doing our part to not just staying alive.  

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and get well soon to fellow CC'ers.  

Who else is getting ready, cruising and/or travel next ??  Reading some of the other thread posts elsewhere this morning on this forum, which I'm trying hard to not reply ... glad that we aren't not going to be struggling to play "The Price is Right" since "The Wheel of Fortune" has swing from Donna Live to Burn The Floor, cruising should not be game of "Jeopardy" IMHO.  

Getting my tech gadgets cruise-ready, upgraded to unlocked Samsung Galaxy S24, on Google Fi and the older Pixel 7 Pro as backup WiFi dual e/sim for photos, and iPhone SE2022 for emergencies & AirTags tracking.  Insider's bonus tip/quiz: among these devices, which one has proven to be able to allow hotspot tethering onboard while using WiFi.  

Officially, it's T minus 21 for us ... OLCI has opened & already know our "assigned" boarding/check-in time is going to be 14:00 or 2 PM, PDT at Canada Place, Vancouver, BC.  Will be flying the (hopefully) "Friendly Skies" sooner in 18 days.  Stay tune ahead - really don't want to start too soon - for a limited, mostly "not live" cruise report over at the Cunard forum, with some of the old-timers and hard liners saying the line is going downhill too.  Déjà vu

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

TGIF or is it 😬  Good morning to all the CC comrades.  Looks like Debby is going to sideswipe downstate NY (although we did our usual tropical storm prep more than 48 hours ago) based on the latest NHC forecasted track this morning whereas @cruiseny4life further north upstate might wish to be on guard and @JIMEOPUS is probably on the fringe - heavy rainfall, (urban) flash flooding & risk of tornadoes over the next 12 to 15 hours ... before this post-trop cyclone system sweep across VT across Quebec/Maine, etc. 

Positive vibes definitely appropriate for our friend @graphicguy as he's on the countdown and probably going to have pre-op work up.  Knowing Dan ... he's taking it in strife and it's not a big deal and all.  STILL a major procedure, unlike dental extraction, root canal and implant (although one never get used to the sound of the drill & the probe or the "slight" pinch after being numb first ...)   Will be thinking about his post-op and positive recovery in the weeks ahead, with a sooner rather than later return to cruising and travel again.

Who else is getting ready, cruising and/or travel next ??  Reading some of the other thread posts elsewhere this morning on this forum, which I'm trying hard to not reply ... glad that we aren't not going to be struggling to play "The Price is Right" since "The Wheel of Fortune" has swing from Donna Live to Burn The Floor, cruising should not be game of "Jeopardy" IMHO.  

Not sure if "strife" was intentional, but funny nonetheless.  Blood work, pee in cup and nostril swab...all done this a.m.

Appreciate the kind words.  I be fine.

However, I am jealous of all who are planning their cruises.  I sincerely hope y'all have a GREAT TIME!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

@Sugar Magnolia  passed by one of the Carlo's last week but nope with the stitches.  Was a busy Thursday with scheduled CT scans for both of us in the morning, then seen & cleared by dentist in the afternoon.  Taking a "break" for next 5 weeks, postponed another procedure until we get back from Alaska. 

@omahabob  Think and be positive, I call these our healthcare & wellness cycles that, as we mature in our "latter" years, that we cannot simply ignore - without it, cruising becomes next to impossible and/or with difficult challenges.  It's up to us doing our part to not just staying alive.  

Getting my tech gadgets cruise-ready, upgraded to unlocked Samsung Galaxy S24, on Google Fi and the older Pixel 7 Pro as backup WiFi dual e/sim for photos, and iPhone SE2022 for emergencies & AirTags tracking.  Insider's bonus tip/quiz: among these devices, which one has proven to be able to allow hotspot tethering onboard while using WiFi.  

Officially, it's T minus 21 for us ... OLCI has opened & already know our "assigned" boarding/check-in time is going to be 14:00 or 2 PM, PDT at Canada Place, Vancouver, BC.  Will be flying the (hopefully) "Friendly Skies" sooner in 18 days.  Stay tune ahead - really don't want to start too soon - for a limited, mostly "not live" cruise report over at the Cunard forum, with some of the old-timers and hard liners saying the line is going downhill too.  Déjà vu

This weekend's downpour comes at a perfect time for me. I'm still recovering from my nasty illness last week. Never did I think I'd spend 36 hours curled in a ball in my bed not even caring to look at my phone or the TV. Looking back, it was kind of nice to do absolutely nothing but drift in and out of a foggy sleep. Alas, I'm better now, but since the weekend is wet, I'll have no excuse but to stay inside and recover more.

Our orchard should enjoy the rain. I'm just hoping some of our 100+ foot trees don't decide to get wet feet and keel over. We had lots of branches down earlier this week and a wire down in the yard which the utility company was quick to come fix. Hopefully no more surprises!

Just realized that today!!!!!! is August. Apparently it's been August for a week - and I didn't know. That means the countdown to our road trip across the northern US to North Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming is less than two months away. We'll be driving from NY all the way to Missoula (furthest west we'll get) after our Glacier NP hikes. Then on to Grand Teton and Yellowstone before heading back. We're seeing friends. Our old digs. And showing my husband's Russian mother a lot of the American north and west. 

Of course we're still looking toward February for our first cruise in more than a year (yikes - how is that possible, seems like we were just on Pr1ma steaming across the Atlantic from Barcelona). I'm still super excited about it and keep trying to get us to book something else. That hasn't happened yet, and probably won't for a bit. 

I'm kind of looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Cunard. I'm hoping for a dressing down of the line, given how ostentatious they expect everyone to be onboard...even though I'll be the most ostentatious if I ever cruise the line! I'll certainly be strutting around in as far from the dress code as I can get away with, while still being within the dress code. I know you'll mostly adhere and am wishing you a most wonderful cruise onboard one of the queens!

Anyway, everyone stay dry! Cool! Smoke free! Enjoy your weekends!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

If you have a cavity from eating too much sweets on your last NCL trip, that is on you, no FCC or OBC from NCL.  Think Cuny coming up, what, October, start over- watering plants and be extra nice to white Cujo.  Think you actually have to fly like the rest of us landlubbers.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The other day, friends of ours approached us about doing a Hawaii cruise in 2026. (Not the NCL Pride of America...another one that goes across the Pacific and back). That is appealing, since all of us hate flying any more than absolutely necessary. Plus we love sea days. Neither they, nor us, have been to Hawaii. (Well, I was there for a one hour refueling stop on the way back from Thailand in my Army days). But I digress...

Anyway, our crackerjack TA and her husband were over for dinner last night. They have been everywhere imaginable (multiple times) and when we told them about this, they looked at us with that "What...are you crazy?" look. They then said, "I thought you had your hearts set on doing a Croatia cruise? Trust us, we've been to Hawaii and Croatia, and the clear choice would be Croatia. Especially if you've already been everywhere in the Caribbean, Hawaii is just another bunch of islands" (their words, not mine). Then they said, "If you do Hawaii, you're much better off doing the NCL cruise since it's seven days in the islands as opposed to four on the Trans-Pacific". We then reminded them of our aversion to flying and four days would be fine. 

Plus, doing Hawaii in 2026 would mean missing #Schmoopiefest 2026...can't have that. And yes, I realize that the Croatia cruise will require flying.

So...bottom line...still waiting for 2026 schedules to come out before we decide anything.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Oh, this is by no means my first rodeo. I could bore you with a long list of major injuries and maladies, but I won't. Both my wife and several of my doctors have commented on my positive and upbeat attitude in the face of adversity, so.... been there, done that. But thanks.

One of these surgeries is actually a positive thing. It's the removal of a pain pump that was implanted after I broke my back years ago. They already removed the neural stimulator back in May. Forgot to mention that, so it'll be a total of four surgeries this year. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by omahabob
  • Like 2

Looks like Debby is going to sideswipe downstate NY

No rain so far on the Island of Manhattan but the mugginess index is off the charts. I did see a tree do some damage on an Audi. Police officer kept staring at the damage like he was going to use his Jedi powers to levitate the fallen tree.

passed by one of the Carlo's last week

I have never been to a Carlo's but I did have one Carlo's experience in Las Vegas. A cake was ordered for me for a special occasion. 

Was a busy Thursday with scheduled CT scans for both of us in the morning, then seen & cleared by dentist in the afternoon.  Taking a "break" for next 5 week, postponed another procedure until we get back from Alaska. 

I visited my dentist this week who told me that I have a

very boring mouth. I took that as a compliment. I don't like the new dental hygienist though; she has to go.

Who else is getting ready, cruising and/or travel next ??   ... glad that we aren't not going to be struggling to play "The Price is Right" since "The Wheel of Fortune" has swing from Donna Live to Burn The Floor, cruising should not be game of "Jeopardy" IMHO.

I have some relatives visiting from out of town in the Fall so timing is perfect for me to disappear and hop on my three TAs. I did read that Donna Summer on the Prima is ending this month, which is fine with me. However, I also read that Syd Norman's band has been performing Fleetwood Mac's Rumours in the Prima Theater so I am happy to hear that as I no longer have to pay someone to stand in line for me.

Stay tune ahead - really don't want to start too soon - for a limited, mostly "not live" cruise report over at the Cunard forum, with some of the old-timers and hard liners saying the line is going downhill too.

Looking forward to your mostly "not live" cruise report. I will try to behave, as it is Cunard after all.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Just realized that today!!!!!! is August. Apparently it's been August for a week - and I didn't know

Me too! No one told us!!

I love reading about your road trip. Can I be your Russian mom and tag along?

Rest well and stay healthy.

• Haha 2

Debby is using the Hudson Valley as a road and is slowly leaving.

Lightning

image.png.20a12544530af158c441a6da8e8dfe17.png

Radar

image.png.866b47fd18e505eaad94af4b1048acf9.png

Rain Totals

image.png.507396f1a312d41efaa2b3522e26683a.png

14 days to go and we will sailing again. ( going back to Portland ME, last time there was with several famous CC members ) 

So far for 2026, it looks like Jade in January - repo from NYC to Tampa, several days in Clearwater then back on the Jewel, that's the plan.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@cruiseny4life  A road trip sounds nice and great, combo of boondocking ?? camper van ?? or "old-fashion" motels & hotels, maybe B&B ... or, staying at friends & relatives along the way.  DW been watching too much Youtube lately and chatted about a road trip next year, except I got nobody else to share/split the driving.  Not sure how comfortable she feels about sleeping in a camper, although we began seeing more & more of them again on the highways and interstate this summer.  Cruising next February isn't that fall away especially if you already have this road trip plotted in-between.  Get well and stay healthy.  

@graphicguy  Dan, just tossing in a bit of "humor" and should've put a few extra emoji - isn't that a "tiny" bit early to order labs for your procedures.  OTOH, pharmacy already called to remind me to pickup the antibiotics to prep ahead for the next procedure, which, we are going to postpone & rescheduled until after 9/11 ... wanted to do it before we leave for Alaska.  Heck "no"   Dental assistant jokingly asked, am I ready for the next round ... "not really" 

@omahabob   That's an extra good "ouch"  

Forgot to mention DW's doctor called around 5:30 PM - yesterday afternoon - 5 hours after the CT scan.  Seeing her SS Galaxy ringing, nearly freaked out as it is uncommon and unusual to get called "immediately" especially when lab/radiology results are routinely released in 24 to 48 hours unless ... after getting signed off.  Turned out the lab reported out quick and being a busy specialist on long clinic days, he was staying in the office catching up, going over results & decided to call that all is fine, no changes & to stay with prescribed Rx, etc.  Gosh, what a relief and now, we can go onward to enjoy Alaska later this month.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Looking forward to your mostly "not live" cruise report. I will try to behave, as it is Cunard after all.

Cool ... 

OLCI 100% done - eDocs & eluggage tags printed out already 

A sneak peek, maybe I will start rolling next week ... and do a foodie thing on eating in Vancouver as well, more precisely - focus on Richmond, BC and maybe tiny & famous Granville Island.

Collage_2024-08-09_08_57_56.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

A sneak peek, maybe I will start rolling next week ... and do a foodie thing on eating in Vancouver as well, more precisely - focus on Richmond, BC and maybe tiny & famous Granville Island.

Staying in Richmond is a good idea. Definitely try to visit Granville Island.

• Like 1