The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday June 20th, 2024

Today is Flitch of Bacon Day, International Nystagmus Awareness Day, and International Surfing Day

Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living? - Bob Marley

Meal Suggestion for today - Pan Seared Lamb Loin Chops
Drink of the Day - The Jade
Wine of the Day - Stolen Owl 2019 Malbec (Knights Valley)
Destination of the Day - Oslo, Norway

Today in History:
1969 200,000 attend Newport '69, then largest-ever pop concert in Northridge, California. Jimi Hendrix gets $120,000 to appear

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 06:30 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 05:30 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Kirkwall, Orkney Island Scotland 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Rades, Tunisia 07:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Leith-Edinburgh, Newhaven-Rosyth-Queensferry, Scotland 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Nome, Alaska eta 06-21

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 06-21

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Reykjavik, Iceland eta 06-21

0620World.thumb.png.6e39ce69e8cd6282bbbd6fdd6f3203f8.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 25

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another hot one here, we had rain overnight but it didn't cool things down.  Today's high with humidex will be 38°C (100°F).  Ugh.  I've got a dentist appointment this morning, should be just a cleaning, maybe x-rays, I hope they don't find any cavities. 🤞

Three interesting days.  I deserve a flitch of bacon.  I don't surf.  I had never heard of Nystagmus, sorry for those affected.

I like the quote.

I'd like the meal and the wine, not sure about the drink.

I've never been to Oslo, but would like to go.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day.  Stay cool.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  We’re probably halfway back from Greenland to Iceland today.  The ship is moving at around 16 knots and we expect to arrive earlier than planned at 8:30 am Friday.  The weather is brisk at 48 F, overcast with occasional fog at times and winds out of the NNE at 22 mph.  Today is a Mariner luncheon at 11 am and I just hope they have something on the menu I like.  🤞

Captain Frank van der Hoeven announced yesterday at his 12:10 briefing (and sent a letter around to our rooms) that due to the loss of the 3 Greenland ports we would each see a non-refundable $100 OBC to spend on this voyage.  In addition we would receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 10% of the base cruise fare paid for the 21 day segment of this voyage affected by the changes.  I signed in this morning and see that’s already been posted to our Mariner accounts.  In addition we will have a Viking’s Soiree Saturday night at the Lido midship.  And of course we expect to get port fees back from the three ports as well.  Very generous compensation IMO.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.  I hope Graham @grapau27 or someone can explain Flitch of Bacon and Nystagmust Awareness to us.  Whether or not he can let’s all be positive in recognizing them.  The quote is good.  I probably wouldn’t go for lamb chops right now, no idea about the drink and don’t care for red wine.  I wasn’t a Hendrix fan so probably didn’t pay any attention to the Newport ’69 rock concert.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reporting today.

Prayers for all here on the Daily Care list and I hope everyone is improving somewhat. 🙏 First I feel I am improving, then I turn around and feel I’ve taken a step back.  I have 30 more days on this ship so had better feel good way before that! 🙄 Prayers also for DB, Alex’s boys, the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and the military members in the region. 🙏  Three cheers for anyone celebrating special events, and cruising. 🚢 And thanks to our friend Vanessa @JazzyV for taking good care of the Care and Celebration lists each day!

Today’s port is Oslo, Norway which I visited again just last week I believe.  The previous dates on here were Mar. 5, 2021 and May 25, 2022.  I’ll provide the links for you, and try to recreate my photos again since they were first posted over 3 years ago and went bye-bye. 

Have a cool day everyone!  I know I will!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Cruzin Terri feeling ill from Covid

StLouisCruisers with stomach issues

RIP Willie Mays

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck’s vascular issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy, surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rafinmd back to his normal walk

StLouisCruiser’s cough improving

Cruzin Terri’s now negative Covid test

Cruisercl booking the 2026 GANZ cruise

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Lady Hudson (Symphony of the Seas to June 21) 7 Night Bahamas & Perfect Day Cruise, with twin sister Karen, swin26 (Rotterdam to June 22) 14d North Cape & The Midnight Sun, Himself (Eurodam to June 22) 7 Day Alaska Explorer, Suslor (Rotterdam to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice and  StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 17
  • Thanks 24

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

75 this morning with a high of 90 with no rain. 
2 of the days are good but I have no idea what the middle one is about.

Good quote.

I’m in on the meal.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 34

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 interesting days and good quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20240620_122730.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_122529.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 20

Every day we can now look forward to our port of the day and the memories it brings back to us.  Today's port of Oslo is a good one.  We saw it twice on the Emerald Princess in 2011 on back to back cruises.  Then twice on Prinsendam in 2016 and 2017.  And then again on Zuiderdam on 6/10/2024. So much to see there!  On our early visit we walked from the ship to Vigeland Sculpture park.  Everyone should see that.  On one of our visits we walked to the Opera House and walked on the sloping roof.  On another visit we walked to 5 Sophies Gate to find Harry Hole's apartment in the Jo Nesbo books.  Apparently a lot of people do this because on one corner a local saw us and pointed the correct direction to head, without even asking us for sure what we were looking for.  DH is a big fan of the Jo Nesbo books.

You sometimes dock next to the Akershus Fortress so it has to be one of the best places to dock in all our cruises.  Here it is:

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

It's right across the street from your ship.  Amazing!

The Oslo Opera House.

On the roof.

Vigeland Sculpture park

5 Sophies Gate, Harry Hole's apartment in the books by Jo Nesbo

They even put his name on the doorbell ringer. 

In 2011, this little dog was waiting outside this bakery for his owner.  Right on the door is a sticker saying no dogs allowed.  I hope his owner brought him out a treat for being so patient.  Cute!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Yes, please!!  I'll take that Flitch of Bacon!!  I'd love some!!  ...And, I don't mind slicing it myself!!!  I know Nystagmus is a sign of drinking to excess and something that the police look for when the ask you to follow their fingertip without moving your head!  I don't surf, I've never surfed...  I attempted body surfing ONCE, but my bikini top seemed to get flipped up in the motion of the wave...  and I decided it wasn't for me!

I am TOTALLY satisfied with the life I'm living!!  Sure, I could be better, it could be better -- but this is the life I have, I'll take it and enjoy it!!!  Lambie

LAMB CHOPS????  I beg our pardon!!!!!  You eat LAMB????  How can Lambie eat Lamb???  OH DEAR!!!!  (With mint jelly, of course!)

And to go green with the mint jelly -- I can't wait to hear all about The Jade!  And I do enjoy a Malbec!!  However, as for Scandinavia -- I'll take Denmark, always...  the home of my ancestry!!  (I still have family there!!!)

Then there's Jimi Hendrix...  Didn't go to Newport '69...  but I've seen him in concert and close up at the Avalon and Fillmore in SF!!!  Living there in the 60s and 70s means there were concerts in Golden Gate Park...  at the Avalon, Avalon on the Beach, and the Fillmore-West...

Now...  Have a wonderful day!!!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

There are several very different drink recipes that go by the name “Jade cocktail”. For maximum enjoyment, you will need at least two of them in your life, naturally. I picked the two most different from each other.

Ingredients for #1

2 oz. white rum
1/4 oz. green creme de menthe
1/2 oz. Cointreau
1/2 oz. lime juice

Directions:

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
Pour in all ingredients.
Shake well until chilled.
Strain it into a martini glass.

Number 2:

1/2 oz. Midori
1/2 oz. blue Curacao
dash of Angostura bitters
1.2 oz. lime juice
Champagne

Fill a shaker with ice.
Pour in the Midori, Curacao, lime juice and Angostura bitters.
Shake vigorously with ice until the shaker's very frosty on the outside.
Strain into a chilled flute glass.
Top it off with chilled champagne.
Garnish with a slice of lime.

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 7.08.41 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 6.57.50 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 22

37 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Every day we can now look forward to our port of the day and the memories it brings back to us.  Today's port of Oslo is a good one.  We saw it twice on the Emerald Princess in 2011 on back to back cruises.  Then twice on Prinsendam in 2016 and 2017.  And then again on Zuiderdam on 6/10/2024. So much to see there!  On our early visit we walked from the ship to Vigeland Sculpture park.  Everyone should see that.  On one of our visits we walked to the Opera House and walked on the sloping roof.  On another visit we walked to 5 Sophies Gate to find Harry Hole's apartment in the Jo Nesbo books.  Apparently a lot of people do this because on one corner a local saw us and pointed the correct direction to head, without even asking us for sure what we were looking for.  DH is a big fan of the Jo Nesbo books.

You sometimes dock next to the Akershus Fortress so it has to be one of the best places to dock in all our cruises.  Here it is:

It's right across the street from your ship.  Amazing!

The Oslo Opera House.

On the roof.

Vigeland Sculpture park

5 Sophies Gate, Harry Hole's apartment in the books by Jo Nesbo

They even put his name on the doorbell ringer. 

In 2011, this little dog was waiting outside this bakery for his owner.  Right on the door is a sticker saying no dogs allowed.  I hope his owner brought him out a treat for being so patient.  Cute!

Nice photos of Oslo and your two selves too.

Sandi.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone!  A beautiful chilly morning here with temperature at 50 degrees.   Thanks for the Daily and map Rich.  Thanks for the clarification on today's days Graham.   I will take a flitch of bacon for breakfast but I have leftover pork chops, I never tried to surf and nystagmus is important to be recognized.  Thanks for the lovely photos of today's port of Oslo Sandi.  I am sure there will be many from the popular city.  I will pass on the lamb, no on the cocktail and probably yes on the wine.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations lists for us each day Vanessa.  Prayers for Tana, Chuck and Jacqui and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Sandi I hope you make progress toward feeling better again today.

Another day of working in the garden today.  We have had so much rain that the weeds continue to be easy to pull so I work on that as long as my back allows.   Tomorrow we are heading to town for a two day trip to celebrate John's birthday.  Perfect timing as we are due for another 2" of rain.  They built a new Marriott brand hotel in Iron Mountain and I have a free night so we can stay for a nice dinner at a restaurant that doesn't open until 5.  We will go to Escanaba too and enjoy the shoreline of Lake Michigan and shop.    Have a lovely Thursday.  Nancy

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 34

Happy Thursday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Settling in for a long heat wave. Highs in the 90s today. I had planted an herb garden but most of the plants did not make it with this heat. I have been trying to keep them watered. The grass has gone dormant. The electric company is warning about possible power outages. Staying inside is the thing to do. We are in need of rain as well. Welcome to summer. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

it's Thursday!!! ;D almost the weekend and Divergent is out tomorrow ...

• Like 32

Good sunny and warm morning. The heat wave continues with no end in sight. 
  TT IS BACK 🐾. He was gone all day yesterday and showed up at the window this morning. Tux and Trouble were waiting to greet him. ❤️

Stay cool and be safe in the heat.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey. 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! I was woken up by the sound of rain early this morning! Didn’t last long, but at least the local frogs & my flowers are happy. This morning is lovely with another strong breeze and partly cloudy. Hoping for more rain. 

Vanessa thank you for keeping up with all of us!

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, starting to stage things for Saturday dinner at my place. I will need a bit more prep time on Saturday. Trying a new appetizer - olive tapenade twisted in puff pastry. Wish me luck. 🤞🏻

IMG_3035.jpeg.c238355825b8dbfbe741325a9af519d2.jpeg

IMG_3013.jpeg.e7be0dade77b20f2d4528bf726b71244.jpeg

IMG_3036.jpeg.2e92e2808ba1e99b61ea02d02718505a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. And some hugs, too. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Stolen Owl 2019 Malbec (Knights Valley)

This Sonoma Malbec is tempting me. Usually I find Malbecs a bit too bold for me. But after reading some consumer reviewers using “smooth” to describe it, I suspect I would like this one. A few online distributors with online prices starting at $49.00.

Wine Enthusiast 96

So powerful and so gentle at the same time, this opulent wine from a standout new producer was a small, two-barrel lot. It frames indulgent black figs, blueberries, dark chocolate and tobacco flavors in posh but firm, ultra-fine tannins. Best through 2030. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 2

@grapau27, Graham I saw on Sky News about the idiot protesters defacing Stone Henge and spraying some orange substance on private jets at Stanstead Airport. I hope they prosecute them severely. Totally disgusting.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@grapau27, Graham I saw on Sky News about the idiot protesters defacing Stone Henge and spraying some orange substance on private jets at Stanstead Airport. I hope they prosecute them severely. Totally disgusting.

Saw that too plus they also spray painted some airplanes at an airport, deranged idiots who need to get a job but being locked up would be better. 

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 26

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 31

Good morning. Nystagmus awareness is important and I will take the bacon. I used to be a good body surfer at Jones Beach on Long Island.

i have not been to Oslo and like @LambKnuckles I saw Hendrix in 69 as well at the Central Park rink where concerts were held routinely. I remember the crowd was just mesmerized.

The two dogs were very happy to come home and will be cooler with less fur. Today my big task is to get to the store early and get some things started on top of the stove. My DB is coming to help for a few days and I am very grateful. I promised him multiple vegetarian meals to choose from. I will see what the store inspires.

@Haljo1935, Elizabeth, I felt for you yesterday as you passed another anniversary without your brother. My oldest DB has been gone almost 15 years and I still think of things I want to tell him. It remains hard but I guess I have learned to cope in some ways. Hugs to you.

Tana woke up early this morning with a headache and fever. The hospice nurse is expected soon. She has little interest in food these days and we are trying to come up with things to tempt her. Some days are just harder than others.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 17

Good morning, everyone!

It is supposed to be a little cooler here in mid-Michigan today with a forecasted high of 80F.  That does come with a bit of humidity.  I have yoga this morning followed by lunch with former classmates.  Then an Ellamary visit and Zoom tonight.  Full day!  

I never cared for lamb, but I was at a Brazilian Grille and had some and it was delicious.  So, I would give it another try.  I'll have to do that at a restaurant or on a ship as Sue says no way.  I think if it is seasoned properly, it makes a huge difference.  Now, I don't know about the lamb in this recipe, but I'd love the cucumber salad they are serving it with.  Pan Seared Lamb Chops

lambloinchops1.thumb.jpg.bffcbf53aacb01a329b66fcd95ac3f46.jpg

This one has similar seasonings, just a slight difference in the treatment of the cooking.  

Lamb Loin Chops

lambloinchops2.thumb.jpg.452a25499147764efd500e4f5ce2c105.jpg

This one comes with a Feta Mint Sauce.  Lamb Chops and Feta Mint Sauce

lambloinchops3.thumb.jpg.d0da448f3d217c3ca2aea378fa527694.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 16

Top of the morning to you all. Currently 75 degrees and will rise to 89 with a 60% chance of rain later this afternoon. So with weather quite pleasant I shall get my walk in early.

Sue is still on her Dowton Abbey marathon enough that I feel I should dress up for dinner!

We are still cat sitting the neighbors very spoiled feline. Yesterday, Maui the cat greeted me with open paws, leg rubs and a love me love me demeanor. She enjoyed her ten minute massage and I had to remind her that I’m a happily married man and taken!

So I’m not burning any calories here so it’s time to hit the street and walk a couple of miles. Thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

• Like 30
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  Once again sleep came, and I was awake within an hour, repeat, repeat, repeat, so I slept until 8.  I wish i could fall asleep and stay asleep for at least 6 hours.  Pain and leg cramps finally threw me out of bed.  

@1ANGELCAT I am so glad that TT came home safe and sound.  I was hoping for last night, so that you would not have to worry,  but this morning is good, and I hope TT was reprimanded harshly with love and hugs and lots of smooches this morning.

@LambKnucklesCannibal!  I had to laugh, my  stage name in the 80's was Catfish Brown, I wouldn't eat catfish telling people it was cannibalistic of me to eat my own kind.  There is a local band in town named Catfish Brown now.  Not me.

My problem with the "flitch" was umm... what was it?  I understand the giving of a flitch of bacon, that @grapau27 mentioned, but what was the quantity of the "fltich"-this is what I found 

a piece of meat consisting of the side of a pig, made into bacon = preserved meat

And of course now because I copied that, my print font has changed.  Oh well.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2