As of July 1, 2024 Princess Pricing to Include Taxes, Fees and Port Charges

On 6/20/2024 at 1:02 PM, startedwithamouse said:

It's about time! 

Looking at PC full transit cruises getting sticker shock on the extra fees.

Did everyone receive this, or just California residents?

Technically, it probably only would apply to California residents, but it seems the cruise lines do not want to make separate booking templates, so they are just following the California law for all US residents. It does seem that they have been doing this for quite a while for both Europeans and Australians.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 12:20 PM, tonit964 said:

I just got that too. I was just thinking how we’re gonna know what the actual breakdown is. I like to know the fare & port fees. 

When I call my TA and tell him what we are looking at, he gives me a bottom line price. After we book the cruise, I receive an invoice that breaks everything down.

• Like 2

This new cruise pricing scheme came up for conversation with our friend that cruises solo.  His point was that solo passengers have to be vigilant that they are only being charged the single supplement on the cruise fare and not on for the port and taxes.  With the new pricing scheme it's not as easy as doubling the listed fare to calculate the fare when the single supplement is 100%.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

This new cruise pricing scheme came up for conversation with our friend that cruises solo.  His point was that solo passengers have to be vigilant that they are only being charged the single supplement on the cruise fare and not on for the port and taxes.  With the new pricing scheme it's not as easy as doubling the listed fare to calculate the fare when the single supplement is 100%.

Scheme?  No, it's something California, well known for consumer protection practices, has passed into law and it's to abolish hidden fees. 

There's still going to be a breakdown; what you won't see is the $299 ads to cruise for a week.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Scheme?  No, it's something California, well known for consumer protection practices, has passed into law and it's to abolish hidden fees. 

I totally understand where the direction in which the new pricing is coming from.  In this case, I didn't mean for the word "scheme" to have a negative connotation.  In business acumen, a "pricing scheme" just means how a price is determined.

• Like 1

This is standard in Australia. Always has been and it's great because like going to a store to buy something, you want to know the actual money coming out of your bank account not having to add this % and that %. I find that's so frustrating in America you see something for $2 then you have state tax and fed tax to add sometimes. It's annoying. When I use the princess app or on the pc, the price shown is the price you pay. Before finalising you can see the breakdown but that's irrelevant anyway. I mean, you can't not pay taxes etc. It works well. 

• Like 2

I understand why this bill was passed. Its so a consumer can see the cost of everything that is in the product they are buying.

It applies to their advertising cost however it is still broken down on the final page. 

Now, I wonder if it gets applied to the airlines as well because once I pick a flight, I get sticker shock to all the fees and taxes that are applied. I sure hope so. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

Now, I wonder if it gets applied to the airlines as well because once I pick a flight, I get sticker shock to all the fees and taxes that are applied. I sure hope so. 

For those of us that fly cattle, I wish airlines would include the price of check baggage into the price like the good old days.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

I understand why this bill was passed. Its so a consumer can see the cost of everything that is in the product they are buying.

It applies to their advertising cost however it is still broken down on the final page. 

It does in Oz so I don't see why not 

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2024 at 1:21 PM, alwalaska said:

NCL stopped refunding port charges sometime post-COVID, not sure when.  Each line is trying to recover by adding or cutting in their own ways.

I really thought this was against the law but was just reading an article by The Points Guy and am posting the link below.  I don’t want to get everyone all upset about the other aspects of cruising that the author feels is lacking (as I feel some of it is sensationalistic)  but scroll down to the port charges and fees section.  That proves your point that they are not refunding port fees.  I am rather stunned by this but they, so far, getting away with this.  

almost forgot to post the link 

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cruise-devaluations-higher-fees-less-service/?utm_source=TPG Daily Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=10246467&utm_usr=f2627fa42c2ef209f47da45d89655edf8c7a7fa5b41cb5e853f50e115dd3bf27

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I really thought this was against the law but was just reading an article by The Points Guy and am posting the link below.  I don’t want to get everyone all upset about the other aspects of cruising that the author feels is lacking (as I feel some of it is sensationalistic)  but scroll down to the port charges and fees section.  That proves your point that they are not refunding port fees.  I am rather stunned by this but they, so far, getting away with this.  

almost forgot to post the link 

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cruise-devaluations-higher-fees-less-service/?utm_source=TPG Daily Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=10246467&utm_usr=f2627fa42c2ef209f47da45d89655edf8c7a7fa5b41cb5e853f50e115dd3bf27

I haven't read the link but port charges are huge. Sydney in Oz has one of the world's dearest port charges. It's roughly $150k per day for a good sized ship. Reality is, if you want port fees to be  free then the fare will go up. Cruise lines will always pass these costs on

5 minutes ago, carnabombers said:

I haven't read the link but port charges are huge. Sydney in Oz has one of the world's dearest port charges. It's roughly $150k per day for a good sized ship. Reality is, if you want port fees to be  free then the fare will go up. Cruise lines will always pass these costs on

Indeed!  

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, carnabombers said:

It does in Oz so I don't see why not 

Yes in Australia for airport fees and taxes are included in the flight cost but only the bigger airlines are all inclusive. Virgin and Jetstar advertise a tiny price then you have to add a bag and then add entertainment then add food. The final price is way above the “advertised” price. I think they get away with it by calling them “added extras” that are a choice but it’s very misleading and annoying. On a 6 hour flight most do want entertainment. 

Edited by paddingtonbear

37 minutes ago, carnabombers said:

I think what they were trying to say, is that if a port is skipped, especially for a high-priced port, then you should get the port fees back. NCL is no longer doing that unless they miss multiple ports and the passengers are really upset.

35 minutes ago, wcook said:

Now if we can just get them to include the semi-mandatory service charge in the price. 

Only if it cannot be removed. The amount advertised should include everything that is mandatory and cannot be gotten back

2 hours ago, greenie082756 said:

The main drivers were restaurants and accommodations. Making sure that hotels included things like resort fees and that companies like AirBnB included mandatory fees like cleaning fees. Restaurants because some have been keeping menu prices lower, but adding required fees to the final bill.

2 hours ago, TRLD said:

The main drivers were restaurants and accommodations. Making sure that hotels included things like resort fees and that companies like AirBnB included mandatory fees like cleaning fees. Restaurants because some have been keeping menu prices lower, but adding required fees to the final bill.

Often I find that it's less expensive to stay in a hotel than AirBnB once all those fees are added. I think I'm going to like this new pricing rule

• Like 5

On 6/20/2024 at 9:18 AM, Lady Arwen said:

I just received an email stating that Princess Cruiseline pricing will be all inclusive as of July 1st.  Thoughts?

I think that’s a great idea, long overdue. 

I’ll involved in a Senior Center in San Francisco & had planned a brunch cruise, listed at $90, but when I went to book for 15 people their was over $500 in extra fees & we said NO THANKS!

I also buy baseball tickets online & the listed price does not show the total price with fees added.

Tom😀👍 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, SCX22 said:

For those of us that fly cattle, I wish airlines would include the price of check baggage into the price like the good old days.

Google Flights lets you do this. I then go to the airline's own site to book.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, wcook said:

Now if we can just get them to include the semi-mandatory service charge in the price. 

Not going to happen since it is not mandatory. There are benefits under US accounting rules for the cruise line, the passengers, and the crew for leaving the crew appreciation system in place  If they make it mandatory and include it in fare those benefits go away, even if the fare is raised by the same dollars.

None of the laws currently being discussed in the US concerning the inclusion of mandatory fees would impact the gratuity system used by US focused cruise lines.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, trbarton said:

I think that’s a great idea, long overdue. 

I’ll involved in a Senior Center in San Francisco & had planned a brunch cruise, listed at $90, but when I went to book for 15 people their was over $500 in extra fees & we said NO THANKS!

I also buy baseball tickets online & the listed price does not show the total price with fees added.

Tom😀👍 

Sounds like Hornblower Mimosa brunch cruise.  

It will be interesting when all of taxes and fees have to be included. Especially for tourist related activities with many cities having the view of sock it to visitors with taxes.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 1

This is a great idea.  I've booked cheap Alaska cruises a few times, and the port charges and fees ended up being more than the cruise fare.  This should make it much quicker to easily compare prices.

• Like 2

For Americans. We have it right in Oz. We have a national gst (similar but different to vat). You must show your price as inclusive of gst or price plus gst with a total. If you don't mention gst in your pricing then it is deemed inclusive. You can easily compare any price easily. So any price shown must be fully inclusive. This stops marketing people trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. 

• Like 3

Glad this is being put in place.  Not sure of the laws in the USA but here in Canada prices are supposed to show the total.  Unfortunately it is not enforced except for petrol and flight tickets.    I do have to chuckle at those who want to know the breakdown before they purchase and wonder if they want to see the cost before taxes of petrol at a gas station before they fuel up their vehicle.

Glad this is in place - makes it so much easier.  And of course businesses still have to show the price breakdown of taxes and fees on the receipt/invoice.

• Like 1