Room near stairs

I’m looking at emerald princess but feel sure this would apply to other ship plans too. Across from the elevator it looks like there is a rectangle with horizontal and vertical lines through it. I assume thats stairs? Would stairs on something like the caribe or baja deck get much traffic?

Posted (edited)

You might want to go through cabin reviews for the cabins close to the lifts and stairs to see if people have reported noise from either. 

I just did it for our ship because it was sold out in the areas I would usually choose a cabin.

Personally I use the stairs a lot but I don't run up and down them yelling. 🤣 

I have seen children running up and down the stairs yelling. 

Edited by paddingtonbear

Posted (edited)

My favorite location is near the elevators and stairs. On one occasion there were some really loud drunks walking by but that could have happened at any location. I know they were drunk, because I was walking out of my cabin as they were walking by and spilling their drinks every step of the way. 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Big fan of close to elevator/stairs.

Occasionally get noisy traffic.

On Emerald  back of Riviera there are stairs up to the pool, bar and buffet

Not far from aft elevators.

Great location.

Had inside under the bar stools no noise.

There are also  OV and balcony along that corridor

• Like 2

I use the stairs, not a fan of elevators, usually fairly close to both.  I've never had excessive noise issues.  I will say I'm usually not on cruises that are shorter, or family oriented.  

• Like 1

We have had noise on occasion but more so from the elevator vestibules, not really the from the stairs.  
The midship outlets are not right across the cabin doors whereas the forward and aft stairs are.  But even then, it has not been a huge problem.  

23 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Big fan of close to elevator/stairs.

Occasionally get noisy traffic.

On Emerald  back of Riviera there are stairs up to the pool, bar and buffet

Not far from aft elevators.

Great location.

Had inside under the bar stools no noise.

There are also  OV and balcony along that corridor

IMG_9605.png

IMG_9604.png

• Like 1

In the main have usually booked a cabin close to stairs and lifts (elevators). I find it much more convenient as you don't have to walk half the length of the ship to get to another deck and noise wise have never noticed it being noisy.

• Like 1

We had a cabin right by the main staircase on Sapphire last year and never had an issue with noise. That location is very convenient. 

7 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks everyone. I’m still here. Thats good to know as often with drop and go fares, thats what is left.

7 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks everyone. I’m still here. Thats good to know as often with drop and go fares, thats what is left.

I always pick cabin by stairs unless I have an aft suite.

• Like 1

We were concerned about our stateroom location near the elevator/stairs on Caribbean Princess.  Very pleased that noise was never an issue, surprisingly.

We always book cabins towards the back of the ship. Close to the stairs / elevators so that we can easily zip up to the Horizon court to grab a cup of tea, or whatever else and bring to our cabin.  This last cruise on Caribbean Princess, we were directly across from the elevators and stairs.  Good location in terms of getting around.  

• Like 1

I just booked a cruise and there was a room across from the stairs and five rooms down. I took the one five rooms down but now regret it as i would have been closer to midship across from the stairs. I’m not sure what i was thinking when i took it. I live an apartment near an elevator and occasionally there is chit chat but with stairs you probably wouldn’t get that.

I think 5 doors down from the stairs is a better idea. In our experience there is noise on the stairs - I’m just not sure how it penetrates into cabins. Some reviews mention stair and lift noise. Others mention privacy issues when the door opens directly onto public areas. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

I think 5 doors down from the stairs is a better idea. In our experience there is noise on the stairs - I’m just not sure how it penetrates into cabins. Some reviews mention stair and lift noise. Others mention privacy issues when the door opens directly onto public areas. 

One unexpected source of noise at night is crew only doors. We had one across from us and could hear it open and close and also hear conversation amongst crew members. I guess they were working the night shift.

We book cabins near the stairs/elevators on purpose!  So much more convenient than traipsing down the long narrow halls, and so far no issue with noise, and it makes it easy to catch an elevator or go up or down the stairs.  I'd say we've tried to get close to the stairs a dozen or more times.

6 hours ago, BamaVol said:

One unexpected source of noise at night is crew only doors. We had one across from us and could hear it open and close and also hear conversation amongst crew members. I guess they were working the night shift.

Have you written a cabin review to help others avoid that cabin problem?

I read all those reviews before I book. 

Edited by paddingtonbear

10 minutes ago, paddingtonbear said:

Have you written a cabin review to help others avoid that cabin problem?

I read all those reviews before I book. 

I don’t think I did.  E307 on Caribbean Princess, specifically. But really any cabin facing a big “empty” space on the deck plans has that potential.

I am getting ready to add my review for A205 on Enchanted Princess.  No issues at all with that one.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

I don’t think I did.  E307 on Caribbean Princess, specifically. But really any cabin facing a big “empty” space on the deck plans has that potential.

I am getting ready to add my review for A205 on Enchanted Princess.  No issues at all with that one.

Yes that big "empty" space on the deck plans is scary!  There is no way to know what is in that white space (except for the laundries which they mark) except by reviews.  It's really helpful to add these reviews for picky people like me! You could add E307 now too, never too late. 

Thank you for telling us here though. 

Edited by paddingtonbear

We were on Caribe, four cabins from the midship bank of elevators and stairs.  I was concerned about being that close, but didn't hear a peep all cruise. When we start a cruise, many of us tend to do the stairs, and I think many of us give it up and do the elevators later in the cruise.  ("I'll worry about my weight when I get home.") So I think the stair usage diminishes, just my opinion.