Spellbound Sun Princess Attire

Mjkny

52 minutes ago, CrankyOldGuy said:

I really wish Princess would decide if they want to attract younger customers or not.  They claim they do and they they say mandatory suits for men.  GenX/Millennials won't do this, GenX started Casual Fridays and Millennials ditched the suit at the office entirely.   This won't attract the younger customers they claim they want to attract.  Mixed messages as always

Maybe Spellbound won’t be a favourite for the younger crowd. And that is okay, isn’t it?  There are lots of other venues to go without a dress code.  Price is $149 pp- a bit high and does the kid’s club offer late hours?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dog said:

Maybe Spellbound won’t be a favourite for the younger crowd. And that is okay, isn’t it?  There are lots of other venues to go without a dress code.  Price is $149 pp- a bit high and does the kid’s club offer late hours?

Being young does not automatically mean you have kids, and GenX being young (me as an example) is in today's time being in your mid 50s.  Is that really that young?  I won't wear a suit, and I am not an outlier for my age.

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Being young does not automatically mean you have kids, and GenX being young (me as an example) is in today's time being in your mid 50s.  Is that really that young?  I won't wear a suit, and I am not an outlier for my age.

No insult by me meant.  Obviously your points are right on.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dog said:

No insult by me meant.  Obviously your points are right on.

No worries, I knew you weren't trying to insult, I just think it is easy to misunderstand where the line for young is.  Honestly, I know people in their 70s that I would consider young by the way they live.  LOL  I think Princess might be struggling with exactly this.  What do they mean when they say they are trying to attract a younger clientele?  Do they mean family with younger children (that would generally be married couples in their 30s, maybe 40s) or do they mean empty nest couples (generally late 40s through to the end of their days).  Either way, I think we can all see they are struggling with trying to transform the brand (just look at all the changes on the Sun).

Where they will run into problems is when folks like me start to become their older clientele.  At that point they will either have to change the dress rules or they will shrink away as a brand as they will not appeal to anyone anymore.  

Edited by oteixeira

To get back to original question.

Hopefully someone on the Sun Princess will post on here what the attire really is. But perhaps those attending Spellbound are not on cruise critic and that’s why there’s not much chatter except for possibly some old information from when they first started implementing Spellbound earlier this year.(I posted a photo of what the attire was when the experience first started.)

Maybe once the Sun Princess gets to Florida, things will change further as far as the attire?? Like no cocktail attire or suit jacket for the men??

When you make a reservation ahead of time on the app or the Web version. Does it tell you what the attire is? 

9 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

When you make a reservation ahead of time on the app or the Web version. Does it tell you what the attire is? 

Good point.  Thing is that if one chooses, formal attire is simply not required anywhere anytime on the ships, so a surprise with Spellbound is bound to catch many guests unawares - at least at first.  I do agree with you that as soon as the Sun begins voyages in the Caribbean sector, it will be more likely to see less formal and quasi-formal wear.  For $300, I could live without the experience versus taking a set of clothes to wear for 3 or so hours.

• Like 2

The video was free sneak peak -I believe before it opened for the “ general” passengers, a soft opening. “ Girl” in video described when it opens the cost & that it was not open yet, also no “ special” Spellbound dinner was included. So assume dress code was not in place yet that’s why a guy in polo shirt.

Wonder what the dress code/ attire is in September 2024? Relaxed or cocktail attire? Perhaps someone on Sun will comment soon about Spellbound experience. 

• Like 1

On my app for the SUN October cruise it clearly outlines the attire required before one reserves for $149 pp.

It also gives a brief description of the experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dog said:

On my app for the SUN October cruise it clearly outlines the attire required before one reserves for $149 pp.

It also gives a brief description of the experience.

Same for January, it clearly still states the strict attire.  The next question will be what will actually be allowed once the ship is home porting out of Florida.  

1 minute ago, oteixeira said:

Same for January, it clearly still states the strict attire.  The next question will be what will actually be allowed once the ship is home porting out of Florida.  

So far, it sounds like they aren't enforcing it to the max.  See various posts above.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Esprit said:

We didn’t go to Spellbound but saw the entrance. People entering were dressed for a usual smart casual night (with their interpretation of it!).

This is what I was thinking, they say what they say, but at 150 per person (USD) they wont turn away folks in polo shirts.  We will see once it homeports in Florida what people report.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

So far, it sounds like they aren't enforcing it to the max.  See various posts above.

At $150 per person, it would shock me if they turned people away for not wearing a suit.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

At $150 per person, it would shock me if they turned people away for not wearing a suit.  

Me too.

I’m not familiar with it but, what happens at the LA property?

1 hour ago, dog said:

Me too.

I’m not familiar with it but, what happens at the LA property?

I mentioned this in post #12. You can also view the Magic Castle website, where they make themselves unmistakably clear about dress code. If a man shows up without a jacket and tie, they have, or at least when I was there, had loaners. Otherwise, when they say mandatory, they absolutely mean it. The Castle is not one theater show, but people moving from room to room, interacting with the entertainment, as magicians do, so everyone there helps create that ambiance. If some guy walked around in a sports jersey, it would ruin it.

Now about Spellbound, I agree with @oteixeira, Princess is about anything to separate the passenger from their money. I don't know how much control Magic Castle retains over Spellbound, but would they care about casual wear? My guess is yes, but what would/could they do?

As an aside, I've read reviews, disappointments about the dining for Spellbound, but dinner and my cocktail in the Victorian decorated dining room at the Castle was truly memorable.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1