Muster 2.0 question

wtang

Just got an email today from Celebrity with tips for checking in, arrival at the port, boarding, etc.  It mentions completing Muster 2.0 in the app.  Is that a separate app or is that part of the Celebrity app?  Does that mean we don't have to do a muster drill once onboard?  Or do we need to do both the Muster 2.0 app and an in-person muster drill on the ship? 

Muster 2.0 refers to the new improved way of doing the drill.

The morning of your cruise, you can watch a video on the app, showing how to put on a lifejacket, and listen to the emergency warning signal. Then when you get on board the ship you go to your assembly station in person and they check you in. If for some reason you were not able to watch the video, they show you how to put on the lifejacket in person at that moment. and that’s it. That’s all there is to it. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Muster 2.0 refers to the new improved way of doing the drill. . .

That sounds great! The only other post-COVID cruise we did was with Norwegian and they still required a traditional in-person muster drill. Do you know if we can do the Muster 2.0 the night before, or does it have to be done the morning of the cruise? 

1 hour ago, wtang said:

That sounds great! The only other post-COVID cruise we did was with Norwegian and they still required a traditional in-person muster drill. Do you know if we can do the Muster 2.0 the night before, or does it have to be done the morning of the cruise? 

I actually don't know if how early folks can do the app muster drill.  Since we fly to every cruise port (a day early) we do it at the hotel before checking out to head to the cruise terminal.  This new style of muster drill is an incredible time saver -- no sitting right beside strangers in a stuffy over-crowded room waiting for the stragglers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wtang said:

Morning of. You can do it before but system won't count it. It counts it complete as of about 7 or 8am. (In Miami anyway) Takes 60 seconds, you can literally do it walking. No big thing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wtang said:

You can watch the video the night before, but it doesn’t count as compliance.  You would just have to watch it again the next day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I actually don't know if how early folks can do the app muster drill.  Since we fly to every cruise port (a day early) we do it at the hotel before checking out to head to the cruise terminal.  This new style of muster drill is an incredible time saver -- no sitting right beside strangers in a stuffy over-crowded room waiting for the stragglers.

It is usually available the morning of departure - no exact time.   Don't worry about it.   You can watch it while waiting for your  Uber from the airport or just wait until you are in your room and watch it on your TV.    

• Like 1

One thing we learned - each passenger has to watch the video on their own app for it to count. On one cruise, we both watched together on one of our phones, only to get to the muster station and have one of us watch it again there. Not a big deal but took a bit away from the ease factor!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

One thing we learned - each passenger has to watch the video on their own app for it to count. On one cruise, we both watched together on one of our phones, only to get to the muster station and have one of us watch it again there. Not a big deal but took a bit away from the ease factor!

We have always done it on one phone at the same time.   

After completion you have to check both names in the check box.    Usually I just watch it and check both names and all is good.  Never had a problem with having to watch again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

One thing we learned - each passenger has to watch the video on their own app for it to count.

Not our experiences. After eating breakfast at the pre cruise hotel and back in the room, I click on the muster drill on the app on my phone only (we only take one phone), then walk away, put the luggage tags on our suitcases and take care of other things while the muster drill is running. Check the app later and do the required completion steps. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wtang said:

Just got an email today from Celebrity with tips for checking in, arrival at the port, boarding, etc.  It mentions completing Muster 2.0 in the app.  Is that a separate app or is that part of the Celebrity app?  Does that mean we don't have to do a muster drill once onboard?  Or do we need to do both the Muster 2.0 app and an in-person muster drill on the ship? 

This is the best thing to have happened to cruises.  In the Celebrity App, click the 9 dots bottom right for more, then click on safety.  There is a cute little cartoon with cute little sounds.  That is your safety video.  You can do this I think 1 day before your cruise, if not then the morning of your cruise.  Then once on board find your muster station during a certain time period, open you app and the staff scans it and you are done.  No crowds, no muster formations, no life jackets.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wtang said:

It takes all of 10 minutes.  We proceed straight to the room, watch the ten minute video, head to the muster station, talk to the staff there who will explain and answer any questions, and head to lunch.

I was on my first and last Norwegian cruise on the Epic when they were doing the muster drill the old way.  The process took 90 minutes and I thought we were going to experience Mutiny on the Epic.

Two cruises - Celebrity Millennium and Norwegian Epic - and never a more stark contrast of efficiency and professionalism.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jlawrence01 said:

It takes all of 10 minutes.  We proceed straight to the room, watch the ten minute video, head to the muster station, talk to the staff there who will explain and answer any questions, and head to lunch.

I was on my first and last Norwegian cruise on the Epic when they were doing the muster drill the old way.  The process took 90 minutes and I thought we were going to experience Mutiny on the Epic.

Two cruises - Celebrity Millennium and Norwegian Epic - and never a more stark contrast of efficiency and professionalism.

It was concluded that NCL was using entertainers for the e-muster then they did a huge cut of entertainment including production staff, so they went back.  Disney also went back to in-person but they may have changed back.  The Epic is NCL's worst-rated ship, I went on her, let's just say I was happy there was only one sea day on day 2

• Like 1

Just now, NutsAboutGolf said:

It was concluded that NCL was using entertainers for the e-muster then they did a huge cut of entertainment including production staff, so they went back.  Disney also went back to in-person but they may have changed back.  The Epic is NCL's worst-rated ship, I went on her, let's just say I was happy there was only one sea day on day 2

My first day on the Epic was my worst day cruising.  We made it from the check-in point to the room without talking with a human being.  Then, we arrived at the muster drill just to have the staff scream at us like they were drill instructors. When we got to the top of the ship, my wife nudged me and pointed at a RCCL ship to us and asked if we could jump ship.

What made it worse was we were a week removed from a cruise on the Celebrity Millennium where the service was unmatched.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

That has yet to happen to us.  We've normally watch it on my iPad between breakfast and the time we leave the hotel.  Gives us something constructive to do while watching the clock move ever so painfully slow toward 1000 on embarkation day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

I have been on about 20 X sailings post-pandemic and I have never seen this.  Several times, I've seen the crew "guide" passengers by asking something like "I don't see you watched it in the app so you both watched it in your stateroom, right?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I have been on about 20 X sailings post-pandemic and I have never seen this.  Several times, I've seen the crew "guide" passengers by asking something like "I don't see you watched it in the app so you both watched it in your stateroom, right?"

Maybe our experience was a one-off with differently (or not) trained crew, but we did feel that we were being scolded for not following proper procedures. I am glad to hear that is not usually the case!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

Maybe our experience was a one-off with differently (or not) trained crew, but we did feel that we were being scolded for not following proper procedures. I am glad to hear that is not usually the case!

I'm purely speculating that perhaps the crew member you interacted with was brand new with Muster 2.0