Impressions from Crystal Symphony from Istanbul to Monaco:

travelberlin

Posted (edited)

Hi dear Cruise Critic members. I came onboard the Crystal Symphony yesterday in Istanbul. This is a report of some of my impressions. I will try to be as honest as possible. I might not post every day but I will try. Up to now I am enjoying the ship. Here is a picture of a corner which maybe you will recognize. It was taken last evening while I waited for dinner.

If other Cruise Critic members feel that they would like to  contribute to this cruise report, please feel free to do so. 

Ivi

IMG_4211.thumb.jpeg.5074e03121fe828c101994c188a97142.jpeg

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 16

Posted (edited)

Ivi, is it the corner of the Crystal Cove furthest from the entrance to Waterside?

Have a blast! Thx for letting us join you vicariously.

Edited by May B
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Ivi what room is the photo that you posted from.

Enjoy every minute.

Keith

Keith, it is at the Cove.  I find that corner with the colors and that beautiful picture very nice.

Ivi

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, May B said:

Ivi, is it the corner of the Crystal Cove furthest from the entrance to Waterside?

Have a blast! Thx for letting us join you vicariously.

Yes May B 👏👏. It is beautiful isn’t it?

• Like 4

This cruise started in Istanbul. We were overnight here. Embarkation was at a modern, large port called Galata. I am not sure if I was dropped at a wrong entrance by my friendly driver from Welcome Pickups, but I have walked a long distance just to reach the cruise terminal. It is a good thing I travel light because I had my luggage with me and no porter on sight. Actually it was a big mall with fancy shops and restaurants. 

This morning our ship repositioned to another smaller port just across from the Galata port. Interesting contrast. The smaller port was closer to the main attractions in Sultanahmet. Crystal offered a shuttle bus to the Sultanahmet square. Since I was some days before this cruise already in Istanbul, I have decided to stay onboard and just enjoy the ship.

IMG_4200.thumb.jpeg.11affdc7ad01ff6d896bfd982db2d343.jpeg

IMG_4199.thumb.jpeg.17482a0a4d1b7e4c7c3c872038c1e594.jpeg

IMG_4217.thumb.jpeg.bfc14b65239cabd7e41d429a10dfdf5c.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

I am not sure if I was dropped at a wrong entrance by my friendly driver from Welcome Pickups, but I have walked a long distance just to reach the cruise terminal.

If your driver dropped you off at the entrance to the Galataport shopping mall, that is a LONG walk to get to the cruise terminal.  

Not that this information is going to help you now, but there is a side street right next to the cruise terminal (leave the terminal building, turn right and follow the walkway.) So you’re probably right, either your driver didn’t know about it or he thought you might enjoy the walk past all the fancy shops and cafes.

And you might have, if you weren’t carrying all your luggage!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mrs. Claypool said:

If your driver dropped you off at the entrance to the Galataport shopping mall, that is a LONG walk to get to the cruise terminal.  

Not that this information is going to help you now, but there is a side street right next to the cruise terminal (leave the terminal building, turn right and follow the walkway.) So you’re probably right, either your driver didn’t know about it or he thought you might enjoy the walk past all the fancy shops and cafes.

And you might have, if you weren’t carrying all your luggage!

You are so right! I am glad you wrote about it because it might help others when they board at Galata.

Ivi

• Like 2

Galata. Most drivers still do not know the way.  Have to enter the garage and go to the terminal drop off area.  Some go to the mall parking. 

Enjoy your cruise…

• Thanks 1

Thank you Ivi.  I like the color scheme of the Symphony Crystal Cove but our last voyage on Symphony was 2018 (we did try two other times since then) so I couldn't remember that section. Looks lovely.

Keith

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Thank you Ivi.  I like the color scheme of the Symphony Crystal Cove but our last voyage on Symphony was 2018 (we did try two other times since then) so I couldn't remember that section. Looks lovely.

Keith

Imagine Keith, I am coming back to the Symphony after 10 years 😳. Like you I have tried to come back after 2019 for longer cruises but for reasons known to all of us, my cruises never took place. I am definitely more familiar with the Serenity but this is a lovely ship also.

Ivi

• Like 7

13 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Galata. Most drivers still do not know the way.  Have to enter the garage and go to the terminal drop off area.  Some go to the mall parking. 

Enjoy your cruise…

I think it would be good for cruise lines at this port to give a detailed explanation of what to tell the drivers. I have just provided the exact address given to me by Crystal and this was not enough. 

I believe you are also cruising at the moment? Enjoy your cruise also. 

Ivi

• Like 1

Today we are cruising the Dardanelles strait. It is a sea day. I love sea days but specially I like them on Crystal ships. Crystal offers so many interesting activities on sea days… they offer also the ones, which are under the Spa management and which are offered by every cruise line. Those called “seminars” including subjects such as “improve your metabolism “ or “ get rid of your pains” …I stay away from those 😉

But the lectures on serious subjects are very appealing at the Crystal ships. Today the special interest lecturer is Mr. Bulent Atalay who is providing some comments while we cruise the Dardallenes strait.  

Here I am sharing a picture of another lovely place on the Symphony. I am sure you and of course May B, will know where it is …

IMG_4229.thumb.jpeg.f4212c362f190edc09588313bf375ed9.jpeg

• Like 11

Posted (edited)

Lovely, Ivi! Thank you for the shout-out.

We board Serenity today. Kathie of Kathie and Timmy fame has already started a thread. I see you found it!

Edited by May B
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Tonight was the first formal night of this cruise. I have enjoyed my selections. I had hard time to decide what pictures to post about those selections. I had caviar, a lovely soup, the king crab legs and as a dessert Cotton candy. Since the Cotton candy is fun to watch I am sharing those pictures with you.

IMG_4245.thumb.jpeg.efcefe032c705cc8f321f8906820e68b.jpeg

IMG_4246.thumb.jpeg.648d9b680fba8e3e916a79815f70d7b2.jpeg

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 9

45 minutes ago, May B said:

Lovely, Ivi! Thank you for the shout-out.

We board Serenity today. Kathie of Kathie and Timmy fame has already started a thread. I see you found it!

Have a wonderful time 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today we were in Thessaloniki. First time for me at this port. It is a big city with apparently over a million inhabitants. I went exploring independently. I left the ship well fortified with a Japanese breakfast, at 9.00 am (picture). My objective was the Church of St Demetrius. What was supposed to be a straight forward destination took me a long time. I have got lost a couple of times. The first time it was a commercial street in which I have bought a nice foldable bag, thinking that I might buy some things during this cruise. The second time I ended at a funny looking flea market. At no moment I have felt unsafe or uneasy. People overall made a friendly impression to me. Finally I have reached my destination. I am sharing some pictures of that Church with you. Coming back to the ship was hard! There is a heat wave in this part of Europe and around noon it was terrible. I am glad I took plenty of water with me.

IMG_4253.thumb.jpeg.a373daf3348a67f6c3bf74007e50b04b.jpeg

IMG_4263.thumb.jpeg.099ef7d645259aac951cee618f7ac8aa.jpeg

IMG_4264.thumb.jpeg.20ee4bc871c4d301d2a8fd24e65ac1c5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1