Confusion on WiFi plans

I’m hoping someone can help me with a few questions. We will be on the Rotterdam in exactly 3 weeks and I’m determined to lock this down today!  I’m so tired of worrying about it, and not getting answers on the Navigator or anywhere online. 

1-Is the “surf” package only available if you have the Have It All package?  Bummer!

2-If getting the next package up (premium) do both persons in the room have to pay for it?

3-The site says only one device. Each? Or per cabin?

4-Price is $208 per person. There is a 20% off sale for booking precruise. Does that mean $188 per person?  Or is the 20% already subtracted from the cost?

Thank you to anyone who can help. These questions may have been answered here before, but I don’t have time to search through hundreds of pages of posts, and I can’t quite figure out how to search for a particular topic here on the Holland America site. 

Barb

No, you can have the surf plan without HIA. Both people in the room don't have to buy it, but only one device at a time. If you have it via HIA, each person gets one device at a time.

If you are okay having only one of you on the internet at a time you can just buy one package. I did that with my daughter. She just logged onto navigator as me on her iPad and it was fine. If you think you will both want it at the same time you can upgrade to 4 devices, or you can each buy the one device plan. 

You can only purchase Surf package onboard. The onboard purchase price is $209.99 for 14 days.  

The Pre cruise offer of 20% off price for Premium is $207.99 for a 14 day cruise, if you wait until onboard then the Premium package is $259.99 for a single device.  It is possible to switch from one device to another, but only one device at a time.

One person can purchase a package either pre cruise on onboard. It is not necessary for both occupants to purchase.

If you have HIA (Have it All) then it costs $50 to upgrade from Surf to Premium.

• Like 1

If you have the HIA package that includes Surf and you want the Premium level wait until onboard the ship to upgrade.  The website does not show the upgrade price.  Don't buy the Premium plan in advance as it will be much cheaper to wait until onboard.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, I like vacation said:

If you have the HIA package that includes Surf and you want the Premium level wait until onboard the ship to upgrade.  The website does not show the upgrade price.  Don't buy the Premium plan in advance as it will be much cheaper to wait until onboard.

To clarify, the premium is more expensive onboard, the 20% discount is preloading. BUT if upgrading from HIA, wait until onboard. Especially if you have mariner discount. 

10 hours ago, REOVA said:

Especially if you have mariner discount. 

i don't think Mariner discount makes any difference, not even the 5 star discount.  Perhaps you intended to say On Board Credit?

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

i don't think Mariner discount makes any difference, not even the 5 star discount.  Perhaps you intended to say On Board Credit?

Yes, if you wait to upgrade onboard, you can use the 5 star discount. But not if you book prior to boarding. The "20%" pre board price won't allow mariner discount. On our last 11 day cruise, the offer to upgrade was $50 and they deducted $30 for being 5 star so $20 to upgrade was better than the preboard price. Of course with HAL, they may change that. 

2 hours ago, REOVA said:

Yes, if you wait to upgrade onboard, you can use the 5 star discount. But not if you book prior to boarding. The "20%" pre board price won't allow mariner discount. On our last 11 day cruise, the offer to upgrade was $50 and they deducted $30 for being 5 star so $20 to upgrade was better than the preboard price. Of course with HAL, they may change that. 

To put this in context for OP, 5 star mariners have at least 500 “days” credits onboard.

15 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

You can only purchase Surf package onboard. The onboard purchase price is $209.99 for 14 days.  

The Pre cruise offer of 20% off price for Premium is $207.99 for a 14 day cruise, if you wait until onboard then the Premium package is $259.99 for a single device.  It is possible to switch from one device to another, but only one device at a time.

One person can purchase a package either pre cruise on onboard. It is not necessary for both occupants to purchase.

If you have HIA (Have it All) then it costs $50 to upgrade from Surf to Premium.

These are the current prices for 11 days, and to muddy the waters, it says per person ( and the details say 1 device at a time).

IMG_4341.thumb.png.b3a63b8daf21df30fcd7882876faccf6.pngIMG_4340.thumb.png.833bbc573fac6bda26e11cd45f587716.png

Those prices are correct.  Yes, it is per person, but there is no requirement for both occupants to have internet.  You can purchase it for only one person or you can purchase different levels for different people.   The multi device price covers up to 4 devices simultaneously, but using the same logon details.

@Crew News has published the full price lists on his wonderful website here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a note of clarification to the excellent info already posted.  The internet plans are for simultaneous connections/devices.  For example, a stateroom may have a combination of 13 eligible IPads, tablets, smartwatches, gaming devices, and laptops that may be rotated as one of the simultaneously connected devices.

May have missed this info, but is it also $50 to upgrade from Premium to Stream once you are onboard?  We have the early booking HIA that includes Premium, but like to use the highest level to occasionally watch a movie or something on our own device.  

Trying out HAL (from good status on Celebrity where we get 35% discount on wifi) and trying to figure out how to get what we are used to... lol

16 minutes ago, twincheryl said:

May have missed this info, but is it also $50 to upgrade from Premium to Stream once you are onboard?  We have the early booking HIA that includes Premium, but like to use the highest level to occasionally watch a movie or something on our own device.  

Trying out HAL (from good status on Celebrity where we get 35% discount on wifi) and trying to figure out how to get what we are used to... lol

I fear you will pay heavily for that privilege 🙄

It is $50 to upgrade from HIA Surf to Premium (8-10 day cruises).  It will probably cost you +/- $200 to upgrade from HIA+ Premium level to Surf level on a 14 day cruise. Still for one device!

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I fear you will pay heavily for that privilege 🙄

It is $50 to upgrade from HIA Surf to Premium (8-10 day cruises).  It will probably cost you +/- $200 to upgrade from HIA+ Premium level to Surf level on a 14 day cruise. Still for one device!

Yikes... guess that will make having a second device out of the question... will just have to make do with what we've got!  Certainly won't die without Surf wifi... lol

17 hours ago, twincheryl said:

watch a movie

They have some good movies on the stateroom TV and they are free!

Some unusual movies too, in April we watched a great movie about the 2012 finding of the remains of King Richard III (of England) who died in 1485. 

Thank You, everyone, for all the great info!  I have finally gotten a WiFi plan purchased.  😅  Some glitch kept knocking me off the site and back to the “Log In” page. I’ve “logged in” more times than I can remember!  Switched to a different device today and managed to purchase the WiFi. Again, thanks!!

Barb

• Like 1