Help! Are all celebrity cruises for people over 55?

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

BUT you were including 55-59 in there. The youngest boomer in 2024 is 60 - 2024-1964 is 60 - your google search is as of July 2021. We're in 2024 now, so 3 years have passed since that search.

The oldest GenXer is 59. So by including 55-59 you're including GenXers.

OK....so bottom line.   I am a senior citizen.... and so are a lot of my closet cruising friends.  Call it what we want...we are still happy Boomers spending our savings until we can't, and enjoying every minute of it.  

Why do we need to label everything anyway?  Old is old...but not dead.  😄 And BTW...the OP called this thread over 55...so yeah...I qualify!! 😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2024 at 8:03 PM, Oliver6144 said:

No one wants to do celebrity because they feel it’s an older crowd   Can anyone give me insight as to a younger ship? 

The quick answer is you have the wrong cruise line - go to ship reviews on YT for the buffet of whichever ship you are considering (be sure it is departing from similar port - Galveston, Fort Lauderdale & London will have different demographics) & look in the background for the people ordering in line or sitting at tables.  

You may have provided more details of how you ended up on a Celebrity cruise in the first place, but no Celebrity ship is going to feel like Carnival's crowd.  Its passengers seek a more 'refined' experience and the atmosphere 'feels' older - hence  you not relating to the passenger age comments of your friends. 

The larger & newer Celebrity ships are targeting the younger crowd, but younger is subjective - 50 is a younger crowd on Celebrity. Of everything I've online, the "youth" attracted to Celebrity's new ships are either artsy or health/exercise type - not really clubby.

Look for ships with cheaper booze package pricing & more physical activity onboard.  Look for multiple non-main dining food venues (more selection - and included in fare) rather than elevated food quality.  Ships that have slides (to my knowledge, no Celebrity ship has a water slide) and surfing simulators will draw more of the 30 and under crowd. Those ships are going to draw more parents with kids also.

Virgin is arguable the most successful line to pull the largest percentage of young adults without kids (no children allowed). The crowd is likely what your friends will like best and if you can swing the price, it's worth checking out since it offers much of what Celebrity offers.  I'm making a big assumption your interests heavily defined the cruise selection for the group, and you still want something Celebrity offers (you did not even hint what that was).  If I were trying to accommodate your group on a budget, I'd seriously consider the larger Royal Caribbean and Norwegian ships as well. Do not select a Norwegian ship with no slides - those ships pull an older age crowd on average.  NCLs larger ships pull hoards of solo passengers in comparison to other lines I've been on.  Other lines may have single friends sailing together, but larger NCL ships have groups of solo passengers - often broken into groups of 10 to 20 -  running around the ship together.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

OK....so bottom line.   I am a senior citizen.... and so are a lot of my closet cruising friends.  Call it what we want...we are still happy Boomers spending our savings until we can't, and enjoying every minute of it.  

Why do we need to label everything anyway?  Old is old...but not dead.  😄 And BTW...the OP called this thread over 55...so yeah...I qualify!! 😉 

Umm?  You just labeled yourself???  I don’t see too many posts from younger people on the internet saying “I’m Gen X and I think…”.

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

A true introvert would never be caught dead doing silent disco.  At least that’s what my one friend says.

that's just silly, imho.

My DH and DS refused to try the silent disco. DH doesn't care for any music besides techno and doesn't dance, and DS doesn't care for crowds or dancing. So, I went alone. And I danced alone. And it was a ton of fun! That's the beauty of this event - you can be totally alone in a midst of the crowd or to the side if you don't care for other people, and you could still have a blast.

I was raving about the super fun silent disco so much, that both DH and DS wanted to go the next day. Alas, it was the last night of the cruise and we had to turn in early... Maybe, next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Umm?  You just labeled yourself???  I don’t see too many posts from younger people on the internet saying “I’m Gen X and I think…”.

are you on the social media specifically targeted towards younger people? Or are you using boomer-aged social media? I am serious.

P.S. I have no idea what Gen I am.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

are you on the social media specifically targeted towards younger people? Or are you using boomer-aged social media? I am serious.

Based on your post you only need to know which social media platform you use to figure out what generation you are!  (I am NOT serious).

Edited by mahdnc

10 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

that's just silly, imho.

I think you may agree that someone hasn't seen an introvert with an unlimited drink package.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

A true introvert would never be caught dead doing silent disco.  At least that’s what my one friend says.

Well, as an introvert I’d be avoiding your friend anyway 😜. I love to dance, I love loud music and I love being left alone.  That last part?  That is why I would take silent disco over the club any day.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I don’t see too many posts from younger people on the internet saying “I’m Gen X and I think…”.

I'm Gen x - I agree & I think this may be the only time in my lifetime I've started an entry, chat, email or anything with "I'm Gen x".  

Besides the Millennials and boomers, I feel like we all know which gen we belong to (due to the Ethan Hawke film).  But we are the ones joining the label "senior citizens" right now, so I don't refer to myself as 'young' anymore  😞   

I will ask my 22 yo if she knows and identifies with her gen.  But be aware, about 5 to 10 years ago she asked my oldest sister if she rode in covered wagons and such when she was growing up.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Well, as an introvert I’d be avoiding your friend anyway 😜. I love to dance, I love loud music and I love being left alone.  That last part?  That is why I would take silent disco over the club any day.

Uh oh - you might be one of the introverts that purchased the unlimited drink package...  Stay off the railings.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

So what label do you address yourself as?  😉 

I am a card carrying, proud, devoted member of the Baby Boomers club...yahh for me and all my senior friends.  😄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

So what label do you address yourself as?  😉 

I am a card carrying, proud, devoted member of the Baby Boomers club...yahh for me and all my senior friends.  😄 

I identify as a person.  

I am 57 and I am still trying to figure out what “Boomers” have done that makes them so special.  See that’s cynicism.  That’s what Gen X people are good at.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, zitsky said:

I identify as a person.  

I am 57 and I am still trying to figure out what “Boomers” have done that makes them so special.  See that’s cynicism.  That’s what Gen X people are good at.

Indeed there is an abundance of that going around.  😉   

I am not special.... I am just still alive.  😄 

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Well I guess Boomers did technically invent the ARPANET but then younger people made it into the internet it is today.  So I’m not sure what “Boomer” media is.

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Indeed there is an abundance of that going around.  😉   

I am not special.... I am just still alive.  😄 

I prefer realism to sitting around holding hands.  I thought Boomers were going to fix all the world’s problems when I was a kid.

• Haha 1

Let's search the Internet for a list of events - response:  

Vietnam
JFK assassination, Martin Luther King assassination, Bobby Kennedy assassination
Kent State University Shootings

Oh and there was the first moon landing...

Wow - the Internet is not very positive how it describes the generation.  I'm not even going to search on mine; I don't want to know. La, la, la, la, la, la...

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Well I guess Boomers did technically invent the ARPANET but then younger people made it into the internet it is today.  So I’m not sure what “Boomer” media is.

Huh? Boomers are post WWII babies.  Pretty sure kids in grade school weren't doing that early work on the internet.  Credit goes to the folks born before the war.

But this generation naming stuff is nonsense with regards to a topic on AGE.

Next year, the age brackets of 55-64, 65-74, 45-54, etc. will still be the same, but generations? Those are slowly advancing into an age bracket and then out of it.  One day a Gen X or a Boomer is in the 45-54 bracket, and then one day, they're not. Cruising will always have an eye towards the 65+ crowd, as those are the ones retired and/or with disposable income - regardless of the generation name they might be in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Television.

I work in advertising normally TV scales older, websites are middle and then apps are younger ages for media.

Then you get into social media which is a whole other thing.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

Huh? Boomers are post WWII babies.  Pretty sure kids in grade school weren't doing that early work on the internet.  Credit goes to the folks born before the war.

But this generation naming stuff is nonsense with regards to a topic on AGE.

Next year, the age brackets of 55-64, 65-74, 45-54, etc. will still be the same, but generations? Those are slowly advancing into an age bracket and then out of it.  One day a Gen X or a Boomer is in the 45-54 bracket, and then one day, they're not. Cruising will always have an eye towards the 65+ crowd, as those are the ones retired and/or with disposable income - regardless of the generation name they might be in.

Cerf and Kahn were born before and during WW II.  Berners-Lee was born in 1955.  ARPANET was 1969.  Andreessen was born 1971.  So I’m sure college grads in the 60s (Boomers) were involved in the early internet in some way.

Edited by zitsky
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Cerf and Kahn were born before and during WW II.  Berners-Lee was born in 1955.  ARPANET was 1969.  Andreessen was born 1971.  So I’m sure college grads in the 60s (Boomers) were involved in the early internet in some way.

For sure they played a PART in it, but the inventing part pre-dates them a bit.  Don't want to forget the Silent Generation who didn't really toot their own horns.

11 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

For sure they played a PART in it, but the inventing part pre-dates them a bit.  Don't want to forget the Silent Generation who didn't really toot their own horns.

Any technology is based on what came before.  Are you suggesting the modern internet was invented in 1945?

7 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

Sooo.  Have we reached an agreement whether all celebrity ships are for people older than 55?

At the top of the website it says 55+ only.  In other news, Celebrity Cruises is merging with Del Webb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2