Lanyards?

Frikki

We did a tulip cruise with Viking this past April and there were no lanyards.  We each had a credit card size ID card that had a bar code on it that was used to scan out/scan in when leaving or returning to the ship.

Let us know if you're sailing with another company and perhaps someone else can chime in.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Thanks 1

I don't mean to offend anyone with this comment, but even if the cruise line provided a lanyard, we would not use them.

I want to downplay that I am a tourist as much as possible, and if I am off the ship, the last thing I want is a lanyard advertising my vulnerability to pickpockets.

With Viking if we "escape" the walking tour to return to the ship on our own, the first thing that goes off the neck and away is the QuietVox.

I am not suggesting that I would not exhibit other behaviours that say I am a tourist, but I don't want to advertise the fact.

Our cruise cards just go in our front pockets.

• Like 2

In 55 Ocean cruises I have never known lanyards to be “required”. That said many “choose” to use them for their personal convenience. My mother use them on ship as many of her clothes do not have pockets and she does not want to carry a purse just for her key card. I always have pockets, even on my swimsuits, so never felt the need for a lanyard. Some men do,  each to their own. 

River cruises have far fewer extras to present ones card for and staff quickly learn guests names, so after the first day they may not even ask for your keycard when ordering a non-included beverage. Other than that you will need it to get on/off ship and to enter you room. If you find wearing a lanyard convenient, then do so.  Otherwise just put the keycard in your pocket. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

A lanyard can be worn in a way as to not be visible and can be handy so you don't need to "carry" it when you are out of your cabin.  Also, if you attach it and put it in your bag, it makes it much easier to grab and discern from your credit cards.  I personally don't carry ANYTHING in my pockets just because of pickpockets and YES they can get into your front pockets.  I carry a day pack that zips up on the back and the zippers are locked and my important items (My RFID blocking wallet) are attached inside as far to the bottom of the bag as possible.

As with ocean cruises you use your card to get in and out of your cabin so having it convenient is not a bad thing and I feel a personal choice.

• Like 1

I agree with @CDNPolar about ditching the receiver and earplugs as soon as the tour ends. A lot of my shirts and jackets have upper pockets that allow me to carry the receiver without the lanyard. 
Im looking for a wireless headphone WiFi adapter to use in a plane and with the receiver as my hearing aids are WiFi. Then I won’t need to be concerned with cords. I tend to forget about them on flights and pay the consequences. 

2 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

I agree with @CDNPolar about ditching the receiver and earplugs as soon as the tour ends. A lot of my shirts and jackets have upper pockets that allow me to carry the receiver without the lanyard. 
Im looking for a wireless headphone WiFi adapter to use in a plane and with the receiver as my hearing aids are WiFi. Then I won’t need to be concerned with cords. I tend to forget about them on flights and pay the consequences. 

I have the WiFi adaptor that I plan to use in August.  I will share how it works.  I have heard from others that it was successful.  I hate wired ear buds. I always forget they are around my neck or hanging and end up yanking them out of my ears.

This is the one I have:  https://amzn.to/3W2VALV

Edited by Rebel54

Scenic provided lanyards on our cruise in September- you don't have to use it though, I just put card in pocket of my waist bag, along with my phone and some spare cash.

Not sure waist bag is right term -  those elasticised clip on belt things  you wear under your clothes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

@Rebel54 Will you use it with hearing aids? As I look at write ups for this and other similar I don’t see any mention of hearing aid compatibility. Part of me says WiFi is WiFi, but I’d like to read that in a description. 

I don't but I do recall someone saying that it would work..  Good thing with Amazon, you can get it and try it out and if it doesn't work.  I think as long you are able to pair to a bluetooth object you will be fine.

3 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

@Rebel54 Will you use it with hearing aids? As I look at write ups for this and other similar I don’t see any mention of hearing aid compatibility. Part of me says WiFi is WiFi, but I’d like to read that in a description. 

The Airfly uses bluetooth, not wi-fi. My hearing aids are bluetooth. But they use low-energy bluetooth (BLE) which I understand is not compatible with the Airfly although I haven’t tested it myself. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

The Airfly uses bluetooth, not wi-fi. My hearing aids are bluetooth. But they use low-energy bluetooth (BLE) which I understand is not compatible with the Airfly although I haven’t tested it myself. 

Yep, it is Bluetooth, thanks for the reminder! 
The aids pair and work well with my phone which I know is Bluetooth and I just assumed . . . 
I guess I’ll contact Phonak. 

2 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Yep, it is Bluetooth, thanks for the reminder! 
The aids pair and work well with my phone which I know is Bluetooth and I just assumed . . . 
I guess I’ll contact Phonak. 

My hearing aids also pair well with my phone. As I said, I haven’t tried them with the Airfly (which I purchased before getting the hearing aids. I didn’t try it on my current trip because I am flying business class and they have decent over-the-ear headphones. However, the cord was an issue.