4th. of July at Coco Cay - anything special planned?

cello56

We will be on Allure next week and will be at CoCo Cay for Independence Day on Thursday. Does anyone know if they do anything special like fireworks for that day? I remember seeing a video one year of RCI doing fireworks at CoCo on the 4th. with all sorts of RCI ships around the island. Thanks for any insight. 

Does the Bahama's celebrate the US Independence Day? Will they be celebrating Canadian Independence Day on the island on July 1st? What about Mexican Independence Day? I'm sure there will be some Europeans on the ship, how about Bastille Day for the citizens of France?

Edited by klfrodo
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Does the Bahama's celebrate the US Independence Day? Will they be celebrating Canadian Independence Day on the island on July 1st? What about Mexican Independence Day? I'm sure there will be some Europeans on the ship, how about Bastille Day for the citizens of France?

The difference is the poster asked about CocoCay… a private area owned by a US-based company with largely US citizens visiting. It would be Royal celebrating July 4th, not the Bahamian government/citizens.

• Like 13

44 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

The difference is the poster asked about CocoCay… a private area owned by a US-based company with largely US citizens visiting. It would be Royal celebrating July 4th, not the Bahamian government/citizens.

Little Stirrup Cay is owned and has legal jurisdiction over the island. Royal Carribean International has leased the island from the Bahamian government.

All I'm getting at is when you choose to start cruising as a form of travel, you have now entered into the world of international travel. You are entering a unique floating microcosm of the world. Bringing different countries, cultures, and backgrounds into the experience. It is my opinion that if the cruise line is going to celebrate any cultural or national holiday, they need to celebrate all of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

It is my opinion that if the cruise line is going to celebrate any cultural or national holiday, they need to celebrate all of them. 

And you're certainly welcome to that opinion... but it's not going to change how American CocoCay is.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

It is my opinion that if the cruise line is going to celebrate any cultural or national holiday, they need to celebrate all of them. 

Opinion noted, and it is certainly your right to have it and express it.

It is my opinion that the OP's question remains a valid one and does not deserve a condescending or snarky response (spoken as someone who has lived in six countries and works literally around the world, and therefore has a fairly globalist mentality).

• Like 10

RC owns Coco Cay, purchasing it from the individual owner who they originally leased it from. The previous owner had bought it from another individual owner years ago.

It's still the Bahamas and subject to Bahamas laws though.

Here's an interesting history of the island, including its role as a failed shrimp farm and as a drug cartel staging area.

https://www.cruisetricks.de/how-little-stirrup-cay-became-royal-caribbeans-private-island-coco-cay/

Edited by smokeybandit

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I was on the Symphony on Memorial Day and Royal hung a huge American flag and had about a 30 minutes ceremony on the Royal Promenade. No one minded and most everyone cheered. I'm sure it was announced that they had over 30 nationalities on board.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cello56 said:

We will be on Allure next week and will be at CoCo Cay for Independence Day on Thursday. Does anyone know if they do anything special like fireworks for that day? I remember seeing a video one year of RCI doing fireworks at CoCo on the 4th. with all sorts of RCI ships around the island. Thanks for any insight. 

Check your itinerary and see how late the ship will be there. If the ship departs before 9pm I’m guessing there will not be fireworks as it will not be dark enough. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cello56 said:

I don’t know about this year and what might be happening for July 4th. 
However, there is likely a video from 2021 as several ships were positioned around Coco Cay during shutdown. We were fortunate to be on Adventure for one of the first sailings out of Nassau. I believe there were maybe 6-8 ships around Coco Cay, most with crew only in a “holding pattern” and we were treated to a fireworks display. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Little Stirrup Cay is owned and has legal jurisdiction over the island. Royal Carribean International has leased the island from the Bahamian government.

All I'm getting at is when you choose to start cruising as a form of travel, you have now entered into the world of international travel. You are entering a unique floating microcosm of the world. Bringing different countries, cultures, and backgrounds into the experience. It is my opinion that if the cruise line is going to celebrate any cultural or national holiday, they need to celebrate all of them. 

And yet cruise lines seem to serve a traditional thanksgiving dinner on thanksgiving.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, cmsjab said:

I don’t know about this year and what might be happening for July 4th. 
However, there is likely a video from 2021 as several ships were positioned around Coco Cay during shutdown. We were fortunate to be on Adventure for one of the first sailings out of Nassau. I believe there were maybe 6-8 ships around Coco Cay, most with crew only in a “holding pattern” and we were treated to a fireworks display. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Check out post #18.  I guess Coco Cay did acknowledge 4th of July. 🇺🇲

Try not to be so negative.

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2