Water

I should know the answer to this, but I don’t. So let me say I’m sorry before I start. I’m asking for a friend. He needs to drink bottled water. Can he bring on water himself? The answer used to be yes but now I think the answer is no?

Just now, esimon said:

I should know the answer to this, but I don’t. So let me say I’m sorry before I start. I’m asking for a friend. He needs to drink bottled water. Can he bring on water himself? The answer used to be yes but now I think the answer is no?

From HAL Know Before You Go:

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. 

7 hours ago, esimon said:

We take on a few empty water bottles and refill them in Lido. Many many cruises and have never had a problem. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

We take on a few empty water bottles and refill them in Lido. Many many cruises and have never had a problem. 

That is what I do, we have refillable water bottles that will keep water chilled for 10-12 hours. The water fill station in the Lido had filtered purified water that has a good taste. If the OP has a drink package, he can use it for bottled water too. I believe you can also buy a bottle water package of six 1 liter bottles for under $30, they are in glass bottles.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

That is what I do, we have refillable water bottles that will keep water chilled for 10-12 hours. The water fill station in the Lido had filtered purified water that has a good taste. If the OP has a drink package, he can use it for bottled water too. I believe you can also buy a bottle water package of six 1 liter bottles for under $30, they are in glass bottles.

I just did that today for my cruise in October. $29

If you ever have to chance to take a behind the scenes tour of a cruise ship, do it and see how many things in the ship like trash and recycling are accomplished. We did this last year on the Celebrity Eclipse.  It was very interesting to see how trash is handled on the ship. Every aluminum can and container that is discarded is crushed and compressed into huge blocks loaded onto pallets to be taken off the ship at the home ports to be recycled. All discarded glass is pulverized and taken off the ship to recycle. All plastic bottles and containers are crushed and compressed into blocks again loaded on pallets to be recycled. Virtually every piece of trash that can be recycled is recycled. A cruise ship is greener than most homes and businesses anywhere in the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, esimon said:

Some people must drink bottled water.  That’s why I asked.   Thanks 

Generally speaking, on cruise ships, the water from the tap is processed the same as most bottled waters - reverse osmosis and filtered.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hhalliv said:

Not sure if the OP has HIA booked, but does anyone know if you can use the HIA drink package to buy bottled water?

canned water available with the drink package.  Not very practical for shore excursions.

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 10:41 PM, Shmoo here said:

Generally speaking, on cruise ships, the water from the tap is processed the same as most bottled waters - reverse osmosis and filtered.  

Except it is chlorinated after being filtered and then run through the ships plumbing. Purified bottled water doesn't have any chlorine.

Edited by terrydtx

On 6/30/2024 at 8:43 AM, esimon said:

You could order in advance to be delivered to your cabin from your home.

Distilled water in a gallon. .

It will cost more if you buy it on the ship 

48 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Purified bottled water doesn't have any chlorine.

Nor does any water served in an onboard restaurant, bar, or buffet.  And, the ship's plumbing is almost entirely plastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

48 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Nor does any water served in an onboard restaurant, bar, or buffet.  And, the ship's plumbing is almost entirely plastic.

I was hoping you would post. MSH drinks lemonade and tea. When I saw the guy mentioning chlorine, I was concerned. Last cruise was 50+ days holiday. In September we will be 53 days onboard. Not like a 1 week period where we might not be as concerned.

Thank you.

On 6/30/2024 at 10:41 PM, Shmoo here said:

Here in the USA most bottled water is just municipal water, not always filtered.  I only by spring water of a few brands.  I believe that the water bottle is the best route and this cruise that is what I will be doing and refilling it onboard.  Is the Lido deck the best place to refill my bottles?  Also does anybody know if the collapsable water bottles or the stainless-steel bottles are best?  I realize that this is opinion and preference unless somebody has experienced a problem with one or the other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Nobody NEEDS to drink battled water.  That is just a marketing myth.

Yes and the waste in producing a plastic bottle of water is supposedly a large percentage of its cost. i.e. it takes more water to produce the empty water bottle than it does to fill it.  I used to work in a food processing plant and you would not believe how much water is used and/or wasted in one day of production.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I was hoping you would post. MSH drinks lemonade and tea. When I saw the guy mentioning chlorine, I was concerned. Last cruise was 50+ days holiday. In September we will be 53 days onboard. Not like a 1 week period where we might not be as concerned.

Thank you.

The chlorine is at a very low level, as prescribed by the CDC/USPH for drinking water.  Water taken from your bathroom tap, if left to sit open in a pitcher or water bottle for a few hours will have the chlorine dissipate naturally.  The water, and ice, provided in dining/drinking venues are filtered before going into the water dispenser, bar gun, ice maker to remove the chlorine and calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in Tums) from the water to prevent scaling of the equipment.  The calcium carbonate is added to neutralize the slightly acidic nature of distilled water, which could cause calcium and other minerals to be leached from your body if the water had not been neutralized.

I drank chlorinated water over 200 days a year, for several years on cruise ships, without any adverse affects.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The water that comes out of the tap in the cabin bathrooms does contain chorine. I was in the water filtration business for over 25 years and I can smell chlorine in the water.

7 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The water that comes out of the tap in the cabin bathrooms does contain chorine. I was in the water filtration business for over 25 years and I can smell chlorine in the water.

Where did I say it didn't?  I said water from the restaurants, bars, and buffets, don't have chlorine, so if the OP's friend drank from those sources, chlorine would not be a problem.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Jimorel said:

Here in the USA most bottled water is just municipal water, not always filtered.  I only by spring water of a few brands.  I believe that the water bottle is the best route and this cruise that is what I will be doing and refilling it onboard.  Is the Lido deck the best place to refill my bottles?  Also does anybody know if the collapsable water bottles or the stainless-steel bottles are best?  I realize that this is opinion and preference unless somebody has experienced a problem with one or the other.

Not entirely true any bottled water in the US that is labeled "Purified" has gone through reverse osmosis to remove 98% of all water contaminates. The water sources are mostly from Municiple water supplies but then filtered with RO and the bottled water producers have to label the source for the water. Nestles is a major bottled water producer in the Southwest and their purified water comes from the City of Houston Municiple water supply. Spring water comes from the underground water and undergoes minimal filtration but can have a high mineral content. I was in the water filtration business for over 25 years.

I never drink unfiltered tap water and on cruise ships we carry refillable water bottles that can keep water chilled for up to 12 hours. I have found the water refill station on the HAL Lido to have a very good taste and quality.

Edited by terrydtx

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Here is where IMO in inferred that the plastic plumbing didn't need chlorination.

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Where did I say it didn't?  I said water from the restaurants, bars, and buffets, don't have chlorine, so if the OP's friend drank from those sources, chlorine would not be a problem.

See you comment above. I apologize if I got what you were saying wrong. I did see later you brought up the low levels of Chlorine in the cabin tap water which is correct.

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Not entirely true any bottled water in the US that is labeled "Purified" has gone through reverse osmosis to remove 98% of all water contaminates. The water sources are mostly from Municiple water supplies but then filtered with RO and the bottled water producers have to label the source for the water. Nestles is a major bottled water producer in the Southwest and their purified water comes from the City of Houston Municiple water supply. Spring water comes from the underground water and undergoes minimal filtration but can have a high mineral content. I was in the water filtration business for over 25 years.

I never drink unfiltered tap water and on cruise ships we carry refillable water bottles that can keep water chilled for up to 12 hours. I have found the water refill station on the HAL Lido to of very good taste and quality.

Thank you, I stand corrected for my omission of the filtered pat.  We live close to Nestle as well, I have never toured the plant despite various open houses.  We also live much closer to a plant that bottles water although the name escapes me at the moment.  Their water is from our water plant, but yes, it is filtered!

I remember quite a few years ago Jay Leno had some products he was showing, and one was Mount Shasta bottled water.  A close up of the label revealed source of water as Miami Dade Municipal Water System.  I always thought that was funny!!

• Like 1