Facial Recognition Disembarkation on Summit

Definitas

We are UK citizens and have benefited over the last couple of years from delay free immigration using facial recognition at Port Everglades Pier 25. We will be sailing on Summit next year, which has been “revolutionised” but will no doubt be using one of the older terminals, which I am guessing does not have the facial recognition system in place. Can anyone confirm whether Summit is equipped with facial recognition and whether it is in use at the older Port Everglades terminals? 

on a slightly different note, we have not used the Mobile Passport Control App which, according to the border security website is in use at Port Everglades. Do the older pier terminals have a separate line for MPC?

we have Global Entry but Brits do not get a card so have to use Kiosks and they are not available at Port Everglades

Edited by Definitas
Additional information

It is not the ship but the terminal that is equipped with the facial recognition systems.  If you can determine which terminal you will be using at Port Everglades then you can determine whether it is equipped with the facial recognition system. 

I have never seen a separate line for MPC or for Global Entry at any of the terminals in Port Everglades, just the facial recognition system at Terminal 25,  but I have not sailed out of Port Everglades in two years.  

• Like 2

We stood in the GE line about 5 years ago at one of the older terminals only to find when we got to the desk that it was card holders only and had to join the line for a manual check so they have definitely had separate GE lines in the past. 

The terminals Celebrity typically use at Port Everglades (25, 19 and 18) all have facial recognition. MPC is not used if facial recognition is in place, but as a Brit I don’t think you would normally be allowed to use MPC anyway. The lines typically move quickly either way. 

On 7/1/2024 at 1:21 PM, Jeremiah1212 said:

The terminals Celebrity typically use at Port Everglades (25, 19 and 18) all have facial recognition. MPC is not used if facial recognition is in place, but as a Brit I don’t think you would normally be allowed to use MPC anyway. The lines typically move quickly either way. 

MPC can now be used by Brits who have an ESTA and have previously entered the US using an ESTA.  We have had to wait in line for 2 hours in the past at Port Everglades immigration whilst our US travel companions breezed through GE. Our last half dozen cruises have all been in and out of T25 so we have not had to worry about it. I have seen signs for MPC at PE and hence wondered if it would be easier and faster than waiting to be processed if facial recognition is not in use for Summit. It’s encouraging to learn that T19 is equipped. 

22 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I’m not aware of any cruise port having Global Entry kiosks. If facial recognition is in place there is really no time saved with GE. 

You are correct. None of the ports have kiosks and facial recognition definitely outperforms GE. We regularly fly i to O'Hare and GE is a godsend compared to the normal T5 zoo

On 7/1/2024 at 4:58 AM, DaKahuna said:

It is not the ship but the terminal that is equipped with the facial recognition systems.  If you can determine which terminal you will be using at Port Everglades then you can determine whether it is equipped with the facial recognition system. 

I have never seen a separate line for MPC or for Global Entry at any of the terminals in Port Everglades, just the facial recognition system at Terminal 25,  but I have not sailed out of Port Everglades in two years.  

Yes but if there is strong weather or perhaps a medical emergency, the ship may need to get to the port early and utilize a different terminal.  This happened to us once when the ship returned early at around 10 pm the night before at a different terminal

2 hours ago, Definitas said:

You are correct. None of the ports have kiosks and facial recognition definitely outperforms GE. We regularly fly i to O'Hare and GE is a godsend compared to the normal T5 zoo

I fly United Airlines whenever possible and with international flights, we have a layover in Newark or Houston.  The last few times, it isn't the GE line but after with the transit security line that's a zoo.  It would probably be quicker to exit and go through regular security especially if you have Clear

Having customs grab to check your bags is still a possibility.  Of our after the restart 20+ X sailings and 10+ sailing on other lines, only once were we grabbed by a customs officer.  They have luggage examination rooms after the facial recognition.  All and all, it took 5 minutes, we had a good chat with the officer who said they need to have a certain amount of passengers fill out the customs forms even if they have another to declare.  He said they typically grab folks with a lot of luggage.  Oddly, all he did was open one piece of luggage, with his gloved hand picked up a handful of clothing a couple of feet, dropped it, and close the bag, pretty pointless (lol)

27 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Yes but if there is strong weather or perhaps a medical emergency, the ship may need to get to the port early and utilize a different terminal.  This happened to us once when the ship returned early at around 10 pm the night before at a different terminal

Yes, there is always that possibility but baring that, they can, for planning purposes based it on the scheduled terminal. 

6 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Having customs grab to check your bags is still a possibility.  Of our after the restart 20+ X sailings and 10+ sailing on other lines, only once were we grabbed by a customs officer.  They have luggage examination rooms after the facial recognition.  All and all, it took 5 minutes, we had a good chat with the officer who said they need to have a certain amount of passengers fill out the customs forms even if they have another to declare.  He said they typically grab folks with a lot of luggage.  Oddly, all he did was open one piece of luggage, with his gloved hand picked up a handful of clothing a couple of feet, dropped it, and close the bag, pretty pointless (lol)

That happened to me on a flight back from Iceland. I had done my Global Entry at kiosk and they pulled me out before the exit for a bag inspection. Rummaged though my dirty clothes. I felt sorry for the agent. I did not have a lot of luggage. One 24 inch checked bag. I am certain he had a quota he had to inspect. He also had me fill out and sign the paper form even though I had done it on the kiosk. I didn't take it personally. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Embarkation and Debarkation procedures in regards to passports and facial recognition have nothing to do with Celebrity at all. That's all done by local authorities.

Celebrity is responsible for checking your documents if leaving out of the US. They hire contractors but it does have something to do with Celebrity. Debarkation is done by local authorities. 

On 7/2/2024 at 5:27 PM, Charles4515 said:

That happened to me on a flight back from Iceland. I had done my Global Entry at kiosk and they pulled me out before the exit for a bag inspection. Rummaged though my dirty clothes. I felt sorry for the agent. I did not have a lot of luggage. One 24 inch checked bag. I am certain he had a quota he had to inspect. He also had me fill out and sign the paper form even though I had done it on the kiosk. I didn't take it personally. 

In watching To Catch A Smuggler, I've learned that a small bag for a long time away is something likely to get you pulled for an inspection.