The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 4th, 2024

32 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good evening, everyone!

We had a fun day today.  Breakfast was nice with the family.  There were 13 of us there including baby Addie.  Addie was very good the whole time and just took in her surroundings while we ate.  

For today's cookout I made French Potato Salad.  I think @kochleffel Paul mentioned this and I was curious and looked it up.  I used Ina Garten's recipe.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/french-potato-salad-recipe-1914223

FrenchPotatoSalad.thumb.jpeg.342218bd6337a4ac91b8fdfdba475345.jpeg

And here is Addie!

Addie1.thumb.jpg.8b0eeabbd319a8ac2c486ad2c467dd09.jpg

Addie2.thumb.jpg.a451dc0379faec7aac0467027b789533.jpg

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha Addie❤️!

What a precious little gift and has an angelic smile! Happy 4th to you sweet Addie!

Debbie your potato salad looks wonderful!

Will watch fireworks over the ocean much later and take in the specials on TV and then will do our barbecue!

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Mahalo,

Denise😊

• Like 19

Debbie @dfish Addie is adorable!  What a cute baby.  Thanks for sharing the photo.

The fireworks here have gotten progressively louder and more often as the day goes on (it's only 6 pm now).  So far the cats are doing "ok" but definitely are aware of the noise.  I have classical music going downstairs and the sound machine going upstairs, but I know when it gets really bad later tonight nothing will drown it out.

It's just about time for DH to start the bbq for the chicken.  I have the peppers marinating and made a big salad earlier.  This week is not the week to heat up the kitchen.  

DD and family made it to the Grand Canyon for the 4th -- have a great evening everyone!

• Like 16

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

@Haljo1935 DM will be 98 in early August. She very much has her faculties about her and it will be interesting to talk to her on Saturday when she gets home to get her take on this whole thing...

98 - you are blessed to still have your mom.❤️ I hope she enjoyed the pizza & wine or suitable substitutes if those didn't work 😎

My mom, IMO, passed away far too early - she was barely 69.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good evening, everyone!

We had a fun day today.  Breakfast was nice with the family.  There were 13 of us there including baby Addie.  Addie was very good the whole time and just took in her surroundings while we ate.  

For today's cookout I made French Potato Salad.  I think @kochleffel Paul mentioned this and I was curious and looked it up.  I used Ina Garten's recipe.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/french-potato-salad-recipe-1914223

And here is Addie!

Now that’s a cutie heart tugger,

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

That's great news on your DM. Didn't you say she's 98? Apologies if I have her mixed up w/someone else.

Hopefully she pees soon and has a quick, uneventful recovery.

I recall you mentioning you were looking for a new flag - specifically one made in the USA.🇺🇸 We have not yet replaced ours that had reached the end of it's service, well before 48 years. We'll check Costco.

That's great news on Sara!! Sending you positive thoughts the treadmill test goes well.

It was definitely made in the USA.  Thanks for the positive thoughts.

Ray

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The Macy's fireworks concert from the Hudson River in NY is on now live on NBC - it's beautiful.  In keeping w/today's days, there are some country singers performing.

• Like 10

Just dropping in to say we just finished dinner and I made an abbreviated version of the pork chops on June 26 that @dfishposted (https://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/lemon-rosemary-pork-chops-with-arugula-salad/). I did not include the lemon zest, pecorino nor the arugula. It was delicious, and we’ll have the full recipe for Sunday dinner when Dad joins us. 

Have a great evening or night everyone!

• Like 15

Good evening.  We saw three deer when we took our ride a few minutes ago.  We also began hearing fiteworks while we were out.  So far they are not as loud as in recent years. 

The ribs were perfect, and the baked beans were good too.  The bad part of the food being so good is I ate too much.  Don't worry, I still had room for a good size piece of cake.  Tomorrow, it will be back to smaller portions.

3 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Happy July 4th: 

Pretty quiet and a very nice day here so far. In some ways I'm surprised as we usually have fireworks going off early in the day. I'll take the peace and quiet! 

DM is doing good.  They have unhooked her from the catheter and taken the line out of her monitoring unit.   She has gotten up and walked to the chair and ate both her breakfast and lunch while sitting in the chair.  They are just waiting for her to pee on her own - that’s the only thing they need to make sure happens now.  She will be on medication for three months to stop blood clotting.  They anticipate her being released tomorrow morning. 

She'll go to my sister's place tomorrow and spend the night. Both sisters (they are twins) will be there for a pizza and wine sleepover and then take her to her place on Saturday so I'll hear from her when she gets home. My sisters are rather standoffish, decided years ago they didn't like my DD DH, and ignore us. The pandemic didn't help when the border was closed. Oh well - their loss in many ways. 

Dinner tonight is going to be a hot dog (or 2) done in the air fryer. They come out quite nice that way. 

Karen

Karen, that is good news that your mother is doing so well.

3 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

It is a beautiful, almost perfect day today in the PNW.  Temperature in the low 80s, blue skies and a breeze to cool us down.  I decided that my 48 year old American flag had reached the end of its useful life and bought a new and much larger one from Costco.  Also needed to compete with a neighbor who prefers to fly a huge flag with the name of a former president on it.  I feel better honoring our country than a person.

Stayed home today and will barbecue some large t-bones in the next hour.

We had some good news this week.  Sara was concerned that she might need some heart surgery this Summer.  Spent an hour with an ultrasound person and then saw her cardiologist for two hours.  Bottom line:  No heart problem.  She will take a treadmill test next week, but the odds are great that it will confirm that she is OK.

Ray

Ray, I'm glad Sara is doing well and has no heart problems.  

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

That's great news on your DM. Didn't you say she's 98? Apologies if I have her mixed up w/someone else.

Hopefully she pees soon and has a quick, uneventful recovery.

I recall you mentioning you were looking for a new flag - specifically one made in the USA.🇺🇸 We have not yet replaced ours that had reached the end of it's service, well before 48 years. We'll check Costco.

That's great news on Sara!! Sending you positive thoughts the treadmill test goes well.

Elizabeth, we've bought our flags on line from Uncommon USA for about 14 years.  They have a heavy duty US flag made in the US that has held up to high winds in Quartzsite very well.  When it gets extremely windy, I do take the flags in.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good evening, everyone!

And here is Addie!

Debbie, thanks for the pictures of Addie.  She's a real cutie with a sweet smile.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Haljo1935I agree, the part of the show I saw was fantastic, I'm on the repeat show now. I hope that @RMLincoln is watching , and not too upset about missing the "being there", in which case she would have missed all the music.  I have enjoyed Alex Newell from the first time I heard him/her sing on Zoey's extraordinary adventure.  And Brandy Clark is wonderful.

We invited Donna over for a burger, and then we went to Brusters for ice cream.  Right after we had picked up the plates after dinner, I heard some loud booms, and thought oh well, there goes the peace and quiet, but it was a few fireworks mixed in with thunder, and the skies opened up with heavy rain.   Which is good, as it has been so dry here I meant to hose down the roof, but I didnt need to.  It rained for more than an hour.  Didnt slow us down in our ice cream search. I had a small coffee milkshake, DH had a small strawberry milkshake and tiny Donna had a larger 32 ounce chocolate milkshake.  And now the fireworks are really loud, all the strays have taken off, and my boys are scared of the noise, but the kittens dont know any better, this is their first 4th.

And heck, lets admit it, there is so much gun fire around here, they dont know the difference.

I hope you all had great dinners, and a very safe holiday.

@dfishAddie=Cutie!

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

The neighborhood fireworks started about 30 minutes ago. We are just keeping the TV volume up. Blue isn’t too disturbed by the fireworks but does know something is different and growls sometimes. 

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Good evening, everyone!

And here is Addie!

Debbie, Addie is adorable!!  And your potato salad looks delicious!

• Like 12

Well, fireworks have been going off for more than an hour and getting more numerous. 😳 Fireworks are illegal in our city but you know how that goes. I just took out a trash can and it’s SO much louder outside. Yes, I did report it but there’s so many going off that nothing is ever done (that I can tell).

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Well, fireworks have been going off for more than an hour and getting more numerous. 😳 Fireworks are illegal in our city but you know how that goes. I just took out a trash can and it’s SO much louder outside. Yes, I did report it but there’s so many going off that nothing is ever done (that I can tell).

Same here. We have 2 houses across the street from us and at least 1 behind us that set off fireworks multiple times each year. They seem to start a couple days before the event being celebrated and go for at least a day after. My sister lives less than 5 miles from us - she has fireworks and gun fire in her neighborhood. That's really scary.

The dogs are not happy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

4 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Same here. We have 2 houses across the street from us and at least 1 behind us that set off fireworks multiple times each year. They seem to start a couple days before the event being celebrated and go for at least a day after. My sister lives less than 5 miles from us - she has fireworks and gun fire in her neighborhood. That's really scary.

The dogs are not happy.

Illegal here too, nothing is ever done.  

It's almost 10 pm now and it's going full force and will continue another 4-5 hours if it goes as usual. 😞  Earlier one of the cats threw up -- she's probably more nervous than she shows. We get the same thing on NYE and it always goes for days.  But the worst is the night of the 4th and night of NYE.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2