Viking Vesta gets wet!

Thanks, Clay.

Maybe this is common knowledge in this forum, but this tidbit from a linked article in your post:

"The new berths put Viking's compound annual growth rate for ocean ships at 10.6% from 2023 to 2028, compared to the industry's 3%."

10 more Viking ocean ships by 2030, a tad bigger and some for China (seatrade-cruise.com)

• Like 1

I am certainly going to have to sail this ship because the name of the ship is the street name that I grew up on as a kid!  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Anybody know about the differences besides dimensions and capacities and ECO power.

Not sure what other differences would qualify.

Certainly the rooms are larger, and the dining areas will be larger.  The extension is basically in the aft section as you can tell looking at the cabin diagrams.   We don't know if the galley is bigger, but the Star Theatre, Wintergarden, Pools, and all the rest is the same.

We've booked on the Vesta in the future, so anxious to find out!  I'm sure that whoever is on one of the first cruises the Vela does soon will let us all know!

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 9:53 PM, Clay Clayton said:

I also hadn’t realized that the new ships were going to have azipods unlike their older smaller sisters. 

What is an "azipod"? 🤔

An azimuth is the horizontal angle from a cardinal direction, most commonly north.

Thus azipod means a propulsion pod that moves in a horizontal direction to allow the pod(s) to rotate to desired direction. It is fascinating to watch an azipod ship approach the dock and it moves sideways as if something is pushing from the other side of the ship. Pushing the water dockward as the length of the ship moves sideward toward the dock. Certainly worth watching from deck or verandah. No conventional propulsion ship can do this.

14 hours ago, CharTrav said:

What is an "azipod"? 🤔

Azipod is the trademarked name for the original azimuthing pods containing an electric motor and propellor (s) that rotate, providing thrust 360 degrees.

The original azimuthing propulsion systems (that I know of) were known as Z-drives, which had propellers hanging below the hull that could rotate 360 degrees. These were mechanical systems with the prop connected to the engine by a shaft. The prop rotated 360 degrees and thrust was either achieved by controllable pitch or increasing the prop RPM. All my ships with this type of system had controllable pitch props and were very manoeuvrable.

Cruise ships are generally diesel electric, rendering the mechanical z-drive systems unusable, so the Fins developed an azimuthing thruster with an integrated electric motor, which is known as the "Azipod". Although trademarked, all similar systems from other manufacturers are often referred to as Azipods.

The pods include the electric motor which is directly connected to the propeller. The entire pod rotates through 360 degrees, which directs the thrust. They are normally controlled by a single control on the Bridge, with the pod rotating to follow rotation of the controller and a lever to increase/decrease the thrust.

These systems do not require separate rudders and azipod ships are very manoeuvrable. Definitely superior to fixed prop and basic semi-balanced rudder systems. However, ships with CP props and high lift rudders or water jets are equally as manoeuvrable.

Azimuthing relates to direction. Aboard ships, the most common being the ship's heading or course steered. When referencing a ship's true course, it is the angle from true north going to the right (clockwise) to the ship's current heading. When a ship is steaming East the course is 090 or in terms of azimuth, 90 degrees. With azimuthing thrusters, the azimuth is the horizontal angle from a base line to the direction of thrust. In this case, rather than true north, all ships I commanded, used the ships head as the base line, so the azimuth was to either port or stbd from 0 to 180 degrees.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

An azimuth is the horizontal angle from a cardinal direction, most commonly north.

Thus azipod means a propulsion pod that moves in a horizontal direction to allow the pod(s) to rotate to desired direction. It is fascinating to watch an azipod ship approach the dock and it moves sideways as if something is pushing from the other side of the ship. Pushing the water dockward as the length of the ship moves sideward toward the dock. Certainly worth watching from deck or verandah. No conventional propulsion ship can do this.

Theoretically, Azipod ships could be handled similar to water jet propulsion, where the entire ship can be moved sideways with only stern propulsion and no side thrusters.

However, to achieve this you require 1 pod ahead, 1 pod astern, with both pods angled out. The angle out requires each pod's vector to act through the ship's centre of rotation (CoR). The resultant parallelogram of forces provides a single vector at 90 degrees to the centre line. Changing the pod angle to have the resultant ahead of the CoR will cause the ship to still move sideways, leading by the head. Conversely, changing the pod angle do the resultant is aft of the CoR, mean the ship moves sideways, leading by the stern.

Therefore, to move the ship sideways without trusters, both azipods must be pointing out, not both facing dockwards. The thrust from 1 pod is astern and the other ahead.

All my azimuthing thruster commands had 4 pods, 2 fwd and 2 aft, so I haven't commanded a stern only Azipod vessel. I have many months with a 38,000 HP High Speed Craft with multiple water jets. Azipods provide similar azimuthing capabilities as water jets, so my assumption is an Azipod vessel could be handled in a similar manner with minimal wind. We did have a small 300HP thruster, but it was basically useless. Therefore, all ship handling was from jets at the stern. It was both very manoeuvrable and fun to handle.

My understanding, in most cases, Azipod vessels also use thrusters, as the pods do not provide sufficient thrust to counter decent winds and/or tides.

I also have many years commanding conventional propulsion vessels with controllable pitch props, high lift rudders and thrusters. All of these vessels were equally as manoeuvrable as an Azipod vessel, with my docking times a fraction of the time required on an Azipod cruise ship.

I concur, no conventional propulsion vessel can move sideways using only stern propulsion, as can water jets and Azipods, but cruise ships can only attain this in almost flat calm. Since most Azipod vessels also require side thrusters, conventional vessels with CP props and high lift rudders are equally manoevrable as Azipods.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hi Andy.  Hope you and Judi are doing well and enjoying summer.  A bit warm here.

These new ships will be essentially all new from what I can tell.  Glad they managed to scrape in under 1,000 pax.  The podded drives have surely changed the design and utility of cruise ships.  As one who had to learn to dock single screw, single rudder, no bow thruster ships I can say that those ships, with a skilled Master, could indeed be moved sideways.  Certainly not with the speed and ease of todays ships. Yet we had to dock and un dock time and again with no tugs.  Just too dumb to know how bad we had it....  Just imagine the stock price  of McAllister or other tug companies had they never invented bow thrusters....🍸

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

hi Andy.  Hope you and Judi are doing well and enjoying summer.  A bit warm here.

These new ships will be essentially all new from what I can tell.  Glad they managed to scrape in under 1,000 pax.  The podded drives have surely changed the design and utility of cruise ships.  As one who had to learn to dock single screw, single rudder, no bow thruster ships I can say that those ships, with a skilled Master, could indeed be moved sideways.  Certainly not with the speed and ease of todays ships. Yet we had to dock and un dock time and again with no tugs.  Just too dumb to know how bad we had it....  Just imagine the stock price  of McAllister or other tug companies had they never invented bow thrusters....🍸

Jim - all going well. Although not quite as hot as Phoenix, as we will hit 99 or 100F today, so just perfect.

My only time on single screw, single basic rudder and no thruster was driving the lifeboats/tenders on Uganda/Oriana/Canberra. Even these days the tenders are twin screw and have thrusters. All our ships were either azimuthing, double enders or twin screw + thrusters, as on Ro/Pax we didn't have time in the schedule for docking a single screw ship.

However, it was still part of the Master's Oral Exam and was one of the questions I was asked. Turn a single RH screw with single rudder short around in a river. Use of anchor optional.

One benefit of basic rudders is the ability to steer going astern. With the older ships, backing out the berth, we could use 10 degrees of rudder and the stern would follow. With high lift rudders, was never able to get the stern to react. Had to get the ship swinging in the berth and then pour on the stern power.

I also have minimal experience with tugs, as we only used them entering and leaving Esquimalt Drydock and the ferries own refit complex in the Fraser River.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, philbob84 said:

This is the last of the first batch ships before moving to the upsized model?

No. All ten ships of the first class of Viking ships have been built and are in service. The first ship of the second class of ships, Viking Vela is due to join the fleet later in the year. Viking Vesta is the second ship of this class and is due to join the fleet summer, 2025. Current word is that there will be 10 Vela class ships built.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, philbob84 said:

This is the last of the first batch ships before moving to the upsized model?

The first batch of ships is over and done and in service (930 passengers).  They are called the "Star" class and comprised of 10 ships, put into service from 2015 to 2023. 

Star (the original and followed by 3 groups of 3 in the Star class)

1.  Sea, Sun (sold to China), Sky

2.  Orion, Jupiter, Venus

3.  Mars, Neptune, Saturn

The upsized model (998 passengers) is called the "Vela" class.  The first two are Vela and Vesta, with a total of 10 (at last count) planned.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the details. So the second in the new class launched before the class leader? 

I wonder if there are other changes then, the propulsion systems, size, and extra cabins?

Edited by philbob84

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, philbob84 said:

Thank you for the details. So the second in the new class launched before the class leader? 

I wonder if there are other changes then, the propulsion systems, size, and extra cabins?

I would think some of the features found on the expedition ships might be included, such as the state of the art 3D projection system, wireless charging on the end tables, and the electronic “Do Not Disturb” system that lights the cabin’s doorbell red, green, or purple to indicate status. (Purple indicates the stateroom is empty)

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

2 hours ago, philbob84 said:

Floating out means that all of the work that has to be done in the drydock has been completely and the ship is ready to be floated out of the drydock to another dock where the rest of construction will be completed.

Viking Vela was floated out months ago and is nearing completion. She is due to be handed over to Viking in a few months.

Viking Vesta was floated of drydock just the other day. She is headed to another part of the shipyard for the rest of the work that needs to be done before she is ready to handed over to Viking in the summer of 2025.

There are 34 addition cabins on the new ships, which are longer and wider.

You will learn more if you follow the link in the first post and read the article. There is additional information if you follow the link in the article. If you want more information, there are a couple of old threads about the new ships. Use the search function to find them.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I believe this is the second ship of this design.  The first one the Viking Vela is scheduled to go in service in December 2024.   If all goes well we are scheduled to sail on it in July 2025 on a British Isles Explorer Cruise.   It will be interesting to see what the small increase in Cabin sizewill be like (Veranda Cabins get an additional 18 SF, the Penthouse an additional 22 SF and the Junior Suites an additional 27 SF).  It will also be interesting to see what the other features will be like with the extra ship width.

Edited by Dukefan

2 hours ago, Dukefan said:

It will be interesting to see what the small increase in Cabin sizewill be like (Veranda Cabins get an additional 18 SF, the Penthouse an additional 22 SF and the Junior Suites an additional 27 SF)

I don't think they can make the V/DV cabins any narrower, so I think that we will see the difference in the door to balcony measurement. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I don't think they can make the V/DV cabins any narrower, so I think that we will see the difference in the door to balcony measurement. 

I don't think any of the cabins width well change.  They will probably increase the depth of each Cabin.  

Edited by Dukefan

36 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

I don't think any of the cabins width well change.  They will probably increase the depth of each Cabin.  

I’m hoping by increasing the space between the closet and the bed by a foot or so. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

It will be interesting to see. Both the beam and length of the new ships are greater than the Star class ships. With higher guest capacity it seems much of the ship's added dimensions will go to additional staterooms. I was hoping they would add some PJS staterooms to other than decks 7 & 8 forward. Plus, an additional specialty restaurant would be a welcome addition - something like Oceania's Aquamar Kitchen (health conscious offerings).