Junior suite guests making Coastal Kitchen reservations

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

BTW will we have to knock on “the door” every day to see if we can make CK dinner reservations for that evening or will it just be on embarkation day to reserve whatever we can for the entire cruise?

Not only will you have to knock on the door each evening....you will have to knock on the door even if you have to go to the bathroom during dinner as the bathroom isn't located inside KC/CL. You have no access into the CL/CK as a JS guest other than to stand outside knocking on the door waiting to be let in each time. To be honest they give JS guest access to CK for dinner on an as available bases but they don't make it easy for JS guests and make it feel a bit awkward as they are making you feel like you are begging to please let you in.

Edited by bajathree

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bajathree said:

Not only will you have to knock on the door each evening....you will have to knock on the door even if you have to go to the bathroom during dinner as the bathroom isn't located inside KC/CL. You have no access into the CL/CK as a JS guest other than to stand outside knocking on the door waiting to be let in each time. To be honest they give JS guest access to CK for dinner on an as available bases but they don't make it easy for JS guests and make it feel a bit awkward as they are making you feel like you are begging to please let you in.

Thanks for your insights! We’re definitely starting to develop a strategy for embarkation day, which right now includes (1) verifying our MDR Early Fixed Seating 2-top reservations and (2) stopping by the CK to talk with the host to get an understanding of how the JS dinner reservation process works on the Wonder. We will also have 2 pre-booked specialty restaurant reservations to include in our 7-day strategy. Sounds like fun! 

One thing nice about cruising on 5 different lines over the next 12 months, such as PCL, X, NCL, HAL, and now RC, it definitely keeps our cruising experiences fresh, especially since each line has their own “game” they play! 😂

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I was on Symphony of the seas in May and standing outside the door was kind of awkward at times and i felt like i didnt belong lol. With that being said I enjoyed the food a lot and the service was very good .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We just got finished booking a (J4) Junior Suite on a Sep 2024 cruise on the Wonder. I realize we will only be able to dine there for dinner, but reservations are required according to everything we’ve read.

We also understand full suite guests can book their reservations through a suite concierge up to a week in advance while junior suite guests can only make their reservations once onboard the ship.

Since my DW needs to dine as early as possible, preferably around 5 pm, what might be a good strategy for us to book our reservations?

Arrive at the port early. Use the suites check-in. As soon as you embark, head directly to the CK and make your dinner reservations. If we are in a JS, we can normally get about 75% of the nights at a reasonable time. 

That being said, we are not big fans of the CK. On our last cruise in a Loft Suite, we actually walked out of the CK twice because of service and food issues. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only time we were in a JS and had the opportunity to eat at CK we had the Diamond Lounge (now Crown Lounge) concierge check and make a reservation for us. We did not know what our plans were for the week on Day 1, so we went to the lounge on the first night when the concierge was there. 

mac_tlc

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

The only time we were in a JS and had the opportunity to eat at CK we had the Diamond Lounge (now Crown Lounge) concierge check and make a reservation for us. We did not know what our plans were for the week on Day 1, so we went to the lounge on the first night when the concierge was there. 

mac_tlc

Thanks for the tip! Since we're Diamond+ from our extensive cruising with Celebrity, we will definitely visit the Crown Lounge on deck 4 if we have to do daily checks for CK reservations. 

image.thumb.png.4dbbc213de56e03e8617dbc1c21dfe39.png

• Like 1

Just a heads up to CK diners.   Don't let them seat you at a table near the door.   This happened to us on Harmony once.  There was a large table of apparently JS pax (with several active kids) next to us.  They kept getting up to go to the bathroom, back to the cabin...who knows. 

Then of course coming back in.   This required a lot of knocking on the door to be let back in.  When the host was not at the podium, it was obviously very annoying while they kept knocking louder.

I did not feel to get up and down constantly as "door person" to let them in while I was eating.  Disruptive for sure. 

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Just a heads up to CK diners.   Don't let them seat you at a table near the door.   This happened to us on Harmony once.  There was a large table of apparently JS pax (with several active kids) next to us.  They kept getting up to go to the bathroom, back to the cabin...who knows. 

Then of course coming back in.   This required a lot of knocking on the door to be let back in.  When the host was not at the podium, it was obviously very annoying while they kept knocking louder.

I did not feel to get up and down constantly as "door person" to let them in while I was eating.  Disruptive for sure. 

Good to know. Hopefully in our case, as our cruise is during the last week of September, there won't be a lot of children on the cruise.🤞 But since we'll be in a JS, we probably won't have much choice as to where we will hopefully be seated. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Good to know. Hopefully in our case, as our cruise is during the last week of September, there won't be a lot of children on the cruise.🤞 But since we'll be in a JS, we probably won't have much choice as to where we will hopefully be seated. 

Post covid I found there are large amounts of kids on all these big ship sailings no matter what time of year anymore.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 6

We were just on the Anthem to Norway in a JS and had NO problem at all dining in the Coastal Kitchen. 

They were very accommodating to our times, maybe had to adjust one night by 30 min or so. 

ENJOY! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

Post covid I found there are large amounts of kids on all these big ship sailings no matter what time of year anymore.

I can see from the Likes on this post, there are a lot of folks that agree with you. 😂

43 minutes ago, skyking said:

We were just on the Anthem to Norway in a JS and had NO problem at all dining in the Coastal Kitchen. 

They were very accommodating to our times, maybe had to adjust one night by 30 min or so. 

ENJOY! 

Quantum class ships are very good at accommodating JS for dinner in CK, especially Anthem.  Oasis class ships are a different story.  They are more apt to do the day to day booking in our experience which is part of why we do a full suite on Oasis class.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thank you everyone for your insights as well as who gets to do what “behind the green door!” They have been very helpful and hopefully 🤞 we’ll be able to actually secure reservations for at least a couple of dinners in the CK. 

BTW will we have to knock on “the door” every day to see if we can make CK dinner reservations for that evening or will it just be on embarkation day to reserve whatever we can for the entire cruise?

Likely every day.  And, if the suite hallway floor is locked (your key card won't work) just hit the buzzer to be let in the hallway. 

If I have limited access because of accommodations ( JS)  or C&A status, I am NEVER insulted to have to knock.  I don't feel like I am begging.  I understand why the door is locked but I also understand I have the right to be there at that time. 

And no issue running in/out to use the restroom, as Wonder CK has a restroom in the restaurant.

I feel confident that you will have at least some dinner reservations.  

Enjoy.

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Likely every day.  And, if the suite hallway floor is locked (your key card won't work) just hit the buzzer to be let in the hallway. 

If I have limited access because of accommodations ( JS)  or C&A status, I am NEVER insulted to have to knock.  I don't feel like I am begging.  I understand why the door is locked but I also understand I have the right to be there at that time. 

And no issue running in/out to use the restroom, as Wonder CK has a restroom in the restaurant.

I feel confident that you will have at least some dinner reservations.  

Enjoy.

Our strategy right now is to first go to the Crown Lounge after breakfast each morning, as it’s probably closer the MDR, to see if we can get CK dinner reservations for that evening. If that proves to be ineffective, we’ll then head over to the ”CK door” up on deck 18 and ask the host if there are early slots available.

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Our strategy right now is to first go to the Crown Lounge after breakfast each morning, as it’s probably closer the MDR, to see if we can get CK dinner reservations for that evening. If that proves to be ineffective, we’ll then head over to the ”CK door” up on deck 18 and ask the host if there are early slots available.

Please let us know if the Crown Lounge approach works for you. Previous to this thread, I had never heard of that option, but I have two JS coming up and it sounds a lot easier than the knock-knock routine. 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks for your insights! We’re definitely starting to develop a strategy for embarkation day, which right now includes (1) verifying our MDR Early Fixed Seating 2-top reservations and (2) stopping by the CK to talk with the host to get an understanding of how the JS dinner reservation process works on the Wonder. We will also have 2 pre-booked specialty restaurant reservations to include in our 7-day strategy. Sounds like fun! 

One thing nice about cruising on 5 different lines over the next 12 months, such as PCL, X, NCL, HAL, and now RC, it definitely keeps our cruising experiences fresh, especially since each line has their own “game” they play! 😂

This is starting to really get fun! We just found out about the Diamond Plus BOGO SR perk, which is only applicable on either the first or second day of the cruise. Now we have another dining option to consider, if our TA is unable to upgrade our Early Fixed Seating reservation to include the requirement for a table for two.

My DW would also like to ask if the CK menu changes nightly, or is it just a large menu that remains the same throughout a 7-day cruise? If it remains roughly the same with only minor changes, that will also play a part in our evolving dining strategy.

Did I mention we’re cruiseaholics and these new discoveries are continuing to feed our addiction while we wait to go on our next cruise in a few days! 😂

Edited by Ken the cruiser

22 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Please let us know if the Crown Lounge approach works for you. Previous to this thread, I had never heard of that option, but I have two JS coming up and it sounds a lot easier than the knock-knock routine. 🙂 

Rest assured I will post our reservation adventures to my Live From thread, to include our success or failure when trying to book our CK reservations through the Crown Lounge concierge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This is starting to really get fun! We just found out about the Diamond Plus BOGO SR perk, which is only applicable on either the first or second day of the cruise. Now we have another dining option to consider, if our TA is unable to upgrade our Early Fixed Seating reservation to include the requirement for a table for two.

My DW would also like to ask if the CK menu changes nightly, or is it just a large menu that remains the same throughout a 7-day cruise? If it remains roughly the same with only minor changes, that will also play a part in our evolving dining strategy.

Did I mention we’re cruiseaholics and these new discoveries are continuing to feed our addiction while we wait to go on our next cruise in a few days! 😂

Different menu each night in CK.  First night is typically a really nice filet mignon and a busy night in CK.  Later in the week is a lobster night.  We haven't had good results with lobster in CK, think lobster sushi 🤢, so we don't order it anymore.  There are some menus that don't thrill us and we schedule dinner elsewhere.  Check in the app for menus.  Usually, if you change to the current sailing of the ship you are sailing in the app, you can see menus.

As far as the D+ BOGO, you each get one, so that actually could be two nights of dining elsewhere.  It says it is night one or two but some ships will allow you to eat later in the week if you pay for it day one or two.  No way of knowing if that will be allowed until you board the ship and ask if you can eat later in the week with a BOGO.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Different menu each night in CK.  First night is typically a really nice filet mignon and a busy night in CK.  Later in the week is a lobster night.  We haven't had good results with lobster in CK, think lobster sushi 🤢, so we don't order it anymore.  There are some menus that don't thrill us and we schedule dinner elsewhere.  Check in the app for menus.  Usually, if you change to the current sailing of the ship you are sailing in the app, you can see menus.

As far as the D+ BOGO, you each get one, so that actually could be two nights of dining elsewhere.  It says it is night one or two but some ships will allow you to eat later in the week if you pay for it day one or two.  No way of knowing if that will be allowed until you board the ship and ask if you can eat later in the week with a BOGO.

Thank you so much. That really helps! We’re now looking at the various menus on the App, and the MDR menus really don’t look all that inspiring.  We just might wind up dining up at the buffet on the nights we can’t get reservations at the CK and don’t have a SR booked. 😂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You really don't need a strategy.  Simply ask the hostess about the  JS routine for reservations and see what they tell you

The hostess may provide you  reservations all week, daily at the end of dinner each night, or have you wait till the morning of. 

If morning of, you may simply go to or call CK each morning to secure a reservation for that evening.  For two weeks on Anthem, as a non-full suite guest, we had to secure dinner reservation daily, but only the day of.  We went at breakfast time (when a hostess was at the podium) to ask about a reservation for that evening.   No problem, took a minute.  

The Crown Lounge is not near the MDR on Wonder. MDR is on decks 3 and 4 aft.  Crown Lounge is on deck 4 forward.     Not sure the Diamond Concierge in the Crown Lounge can assist with CK dinner reservations. Believe you need to see the CK hostess or if in a full suite, the suite concierge.   Where/when did you hear that the diamond concierge will assist in CK reservations. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Even if you get reservations in the CL....you are still stuck with "knock knock" to enter CK.  😉 

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The  dinner menu changes daily.  Take a look at the options on the app  and decide of you want CK, specialty or MDR.  We only use CK for dining 4 or so nights on  a 7 nights cruise,  The menu items for several nights simply don't appeal to us.  

Regarding the seating for two.   Once on board, check your table assignment.  If it not what you want, there is a line you can wait in for change.  Don't wait till dinner time.  We've been successful waiting  in the MDR reservation line on boarding day afternoon to secure a table for two. It has been no problem for the past 20 or so years. 

M

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Oh - I love the buzzer   😄 to get into the suite hallway on Wonder.  I feel like I need to use some secret password. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Oh - I love the buzzer   😄 to get into the suite hallway on Wonder.  I feel like I need to use some secret password. 

M

Hah...that is when the rare time the double doors are actually closed.  Which is not very often. 😑

• Like 1