What do Loyal Royal Cruisers think of MSC?

On 7/7/2024 at 11:59 AM, skyking said:

We bounce back and forth between Royal and MSC. 

We find them more alike than they are different...

Amen.

That's what I've always felt since I discovered MSC. 

• I think that MSC's ships have a similar "wow" factor to Royal's. 
  • I prefer Ocean Cay over Coco Cay (Ocean Cay is serene. Coco Cay feels too much like an amusement park). 
  • I appreciate MSC's loyalty match program which has allowed me to enjoy a generous list of perks and discounts.
  • MSC's prices can't be beat. They charge a fraction of what Royal charges for what I consider to be a very similar experience. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Amen.

That's what I've always felt since I discovered MSC. 

• I think that MSC's ships have a similar "wow" factor to Royal's. 
  • I prefer Ocean Cay over Coco Cay (Ocean Cay is serene. Coco Cay feels too much like an amusement park). 
  • I appreciate MSC's loyalty match program which has allowed me to enjoy a generous list of perks and discounts.
  • MSC's prices can't be beat. They charge a fraction of what Royal charges for what I consider to be a very similar experience. 

What status were you on Royal and what did that transfer to on MSC?

What would consider the best of the "generous list of perks and discount"?

The preponderance of poor reviews showing crowds, long lines, confusion and a host of other negatives makes MSC too big of a risk for me. 

I think of the adage saying there's Cheap, Good, and Fast, and you can't have all three. 😎

2 hours ago, George C said:

Yes as far as I know all are in the YC , you need to be in one of the cabins to enter the area , on seaside all the cabins are on deck 16 and 18 and deck 19 is pool area. Apparently 17 is unlucky in Italy so there is no deck 17 .

Yes  their 17 is like our 13.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

The preponderance of poor reviews showing crowds, long lines, confusion and a host of other negatives makes MSC too big of a risk for me. 

I think of the adage saying there's Cheap, Good, and Fast, and you can't have all three. 😎

It really seems to depend on ship and port.... we are going on Seascape and have seen almost nothing but good reviews, then I read about other ships and it's nothing but bad. So we are taking our chance and unless something goes terrible wrong, we will enjoy it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

I'm not a defender of MSC, especially since we've never cruised with them.  I will say that the feedback and reviews more recently (past 1-2 years or so) are far more positive.  MSC seems to be gradually making adjustments to better cater to the US cruisers and their expectations.

• Like 2

We are booked on our first MSC cruise this October on Meraviglia out of Brooklyn. Cape Liberty is our go to, but Symphony the same week in an OV was the same price as YC interior. Includes premium drink package and 2 devices internet per person. We also have thermal spa access unlimited for the duration. Private area on private island Ocean Cay.

We are D+ which got us Gold status on MSC. Booking discounts depending on when you book. Extras seem to be less expensive than Royal as well- for our sailing the 3 night specialty dining package is $110/person, which is far more reasonable than what I have seen on Royal.

Am I expecting"the same" as what we get on Royal? Absolutely not. But with prices on Royal what they are, we feel this might be the time to branch out. And since Pinnacle ain't nothin but a pipe dream for us, why not try other lines and see what's out there? 

Is Royal our preference? Yes, but I am not opposed to widening our horizons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, VernRDH said:

We are booked on our first MSC cruise this October on Meraviglia out of Brooklyn. Cape Liberty is our go to, but Symphony the same week in an OV was the same price as YC interior. Includes premium drink package and 2 devices internet per person. We also have thermal spa access unlimited for the duration. Private area on private island Ocean Cay.

We are D+ which got us Gold status on MSC. Booking discounts depending on when you book. Extras seem to be less expensive than Royal as well- for our sailing the 3 night specialty dining package is $110/person, which is far more reasonable than what I have seen on Royal.

Am I expecting"the same" as what we get on Royal? Absolutely not. But with prices on Royal what they are, we feel this might be the time to branch out. And since Pinnacle ain't nothin but a pipe dream for us, why not try other lines and see what's out there? 

YC is so much better than grand suites on rccl, food is way better , lounge is way better than rccl suite lounge and outdoor area with pool etc is fantastic.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, VernRDH said:

And since Pinnacle ain't nothin but a pipe dream for us, why not try other lines and see what's out there? 

Exactly my reasoning for starting to look around. I like my D+ benefits but I would have all that and more in MSC YC... and for less than I'd pay for RCI.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yes  their 17 is like our 13.

And there are no cabin numbers ending in 17.

In Roman numerals 17 is XVII which is an anagram of VIXI which means I have lived or I am not living aka I am

dead. 

Heptadecaphobia Is the fear of number 17

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Exactly my reasoning for starting to look around. I like my D+ benefits but I would have all that and more in MSC YC... and for less than I'd pay for RCI.

A minor point , everyone had their picture taken in YC with captain, not unusual. But at our picture he asked us several questions, extremely friendly and again on private island we had a nice conversation, turns out we did a cruise on MSc a couple of decades ago and he was a officer on that cruise and remembered a musician that I asked about and said he was still playing on MSc . 

• Like 2

On 7/11/2024 at 11:19 AM, Tree_skier said:

What status were you on Royal and what did that transfer to on MSC?

What would consider the best of the "generous list of perks and discount"?

Instead of matching my Royal Emerald, I matched my Carnival Platinum which gave me Gold tier on MSC. 

Some of the perks that you get with that are:

- Additional 5% discount off the cruise fare (plus another 5% if you book 6 months in advance)
- Access to the thermal area at the Aurea Spa

- Priority debarkation at tender ports 

- Free photo

- logo gift (like a baseball cap)

- discounts at the logo shop, spa, f1 simulator, WiFi, etc. 

The initial discount off the cruise fare is one of the best perks, and it can be substantial, depending on how much your cruise fare is. We got a $500 fare reduction on our upcoming cruise. 

If you’re a spa person, having complimentary access to the thermal area at the spa is heaven sent. Not only do you get access to all the different rooms, but you also have access to a private outdoor deck with jacuzzis which is normally quiet and serene. 

In general, it’s a very nice program. It’s designed to attract cruisers who have been loyal to another cruise line so that they can test MSC. That’s how we decided to give them a try and it worked because we’ve returned several times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1