Copenhagen and Dublin Hotels

Islay Peat

Journey August 2025 Scotland Intensive leaves from Copenhagen and finishes in Dublin.  Anyone have personal experience with hotels in either city?

Depending on your budget we loved 71 Nyhavn right at end of the famous nyhavn canal. Expensive area but very picturesque.

Posted (edited)

We also loved both the 71 Nyhaven and The Admiral when traveling with my husband on business, but they are expensive.

Last time staying pre cruise we booked the NH Collection Copenhagen which was good.

We of course have no idea of your budget.

Edited by cruiseaholic78

In Copenhagen, we’ve stayed twice at the Absalon Hotel which we liked. In Dublin, last year we stayed at both The Mont and Buswells. We thought they were both nice hotels.

Stayed many times in Copenhagen on business, in a variety of hotels. "Good" and "inexpensive" do not co-exist in that city. Last time we went there, we stayed at the Marriott on points because we had a lot of them. It was good, but not really close to much of anything. The above recommendations are great hotels, if you can afford them. 

Also stayed several times in Dublin on business (did a lot of travel before retiring). A bit out of the main area, but on the red line tram near the national museum (and across the river from the Guinness Storehouse) was the Ashling Hotel which was mid-level, but nice and relatively inexpensive. It's also across the street from a train station where one can pick up a train to the airport.

Best place I stayed in Dublin was an executive suite at the Radisson Blue - had an obstructed view of St. Patrick's from the living room windows - that was booked and paid for by one of my clients during my consulting career (Fortune 100 company). That would definitely blow our vacation budget for the next decade or so...

Thanks All.  The Admiral in Copenhagen and The Mont in Dublin have my attention.  I'll gladly look at the other suggestions.

Sail On In Joy and Peace.

Am I correct that Copenhagen does not have hotels close to the port? We won’t be touring Copenhagen prior to our cruise so will be looking for a hotel strictly to get rid of jet lag for a night and then onto the ship.   We are currently considering an airport hotel but would prefer one where we could walk to the ship.

4 hours ago, Whitby100 said:

Am I correct that Copenhagen does not have hotels close to the port? We won’t be touring Copenhagen prior to our cruise so will be looking for a hotel strictly to get rid of jet lag for a night and then onto the ship.   We are currently considering an airport hotel but would prefer one where we could walk to the ship.

The closest hotels to the cruise port are the Comwell Copenhagen, Stay Nordhavn, the Fairfield Inn and the Residence Inn.  None are really walkable to the port with any luggage more than a backpack, IMO.  Use Google Maps to see for yourself.

In your situation, I'd just stay at the airport and have one expensive taxi ride to the port.  Hotel rates will also be lower in the airport area.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

As to where cruise ships dock, if I am not mistaken, don’t some ships dock close to town, but others dock very far outside of town.

You are correct we’ve had two different disembark locations with Azamara. We found the Crowne Plaza at the airport fully met our needs. We actually stayed a couple of nights there. It was an easy ride into town 

3 hours ago, uktog said:

You are correct we’ve had two different disembark locations with Azamara. We found the Crowne Plaza at the airport fully met our needs. We actually stayed a couple of nights there. It was an easy ride into town 

Is that a train ride? Or did you need to take a cab?

We are considering staying in Malmo to save money, but near the airport could work, as well. 

10 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Is that a train ride? Or did you need to take a cab?

We are considering staying in Malmo to save money, but near the airport could work, as well. 

Train from Oerstad station which is about 100meters from the Copenhagen Crowne Plaza Towers hotel into the middle of Copenhagen 

• Thanks 1

We are staying at

Urban House Copenhagen by MEININGER
Address: Colbjørnsensgade 5-11, Vesterbro

very convenient to the station from the airport, Tivoli Gardens and most of the main sites. Three nights costs Euro 500 and includes breakfast. A lot more fun place than a traditional hotel

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much!

We will need two rooms for a few days before and three for at least one day prior. The other two couples have never been to Denmark. All this information is quite helpful.

Thanks, @Islay Peat for stating this thread. We will be staying onboard in Dublin, and none of the places I've stayed there really stood out as special, so I can't help. I hope you find something good for you. 

We are looking at the ones connected to the airport so we can just walk over.  I understand there may be a train ( not sure if this means a subway/metro/underground) that gets us close to the cruise port.  Taxi is another option.  

• Like 1

Last year when we disembarked Journey in Dublin we stayed at the Wilder Townhouse, which is part of Hyatt Hotels as a Mr & Mrs Smith hotel which we have found to be wonderful boutique style hotels with lots of style and personality…this one is in an historic townhouse and we were able to easily walk to St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin Castle etc. 

We stayed at the Copenhagen Crowne Plaza Towers hotel.  Easy train ride about 3 stops from the airport, and the train station is only 100 yards from the hotel and a level walk on sidewalks.  Caught the train into Copenhagen - less than 10 minutes to Tivoli.  If you're up to dealing with your luggage, it is possible to use a combination of train and bus to get to the port instead of footing the bill for a taxi.  Worst case, take the train as close as you can get to the port and only pay for a short taxi ride.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Whitby100 said:

Thanks for all this. Can someone clarify what the ‘train’ is? We will likely take it plus the bus as FredZiffle suggested.

Metro. Automatic mostly surface tram/trains, absolutely excellent service.

https://intl.m.dk

https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/planning/public-transport

Edited by jollyjones
  • Thanks 1