Avalon boats - does size matter?

sboh

Posted (edited)

I’m planning on doing the Danube with Avalon eastbound from Vilshofen to Budapest and noticed that some of the boats (usually with the “II” after their name like Tranquility II) are smaller, 361ft instead of 443ft, like the Illumination and others without the “II”. Is the only difference the number of staterooms? Are the amenities and public areas comparable? Would one be considered more desirable for the Danube?

Edited by sboh

We've travelled on both the Imagery II (110 meters) and the Envision (135 meters). I think the only difference you would find is the smaller ships have fewer cabins (so yes, the lounge & dining room are smaller as they don't have to seat as many passengers), and the upper deck gives you more room to walk. The larger ships will also have more bow space for seating that is shaded.

No difference as to cabin size or anything else, both are equally good. We did the Envision on the Danube, the Imagery II on the Rhine and will be on it again for our upcoming Moselle cruise - even down to the same cabin!

Plan your trip for the itinerary, not the ship. They are almost identical as to layout, just the longer ones are....well...longer and that much more walking around. 🙂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daisi said:

We've travelled on both the Imagery II (110 meters) and the Envision (135 meters). I think the only difference you would find is the smaller ships have fewer cabins (so yes, the lounge & dining room are smaller as they don't have to seat as many passengers), and the upper deck gives you more room to walk. The larger ships will also have more bow space for seating that is shaded.

No difference as to cabin size or anything else, both are equally good. We did the Envision on the Danube, the Imagery II on the Rhine and will be on it again for our upcoming Moselle cruise - even down to the same cabin!

Plan your trip for the itinerary, not the ship. They are almost identical as to layout, just the longer ones are....well...longer and that much more walking around. 🙂

I'll be on the Envision in less than a month.  I am so excited 🙂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rebel54 said:

I'll be on the Envision in less than a month.  I am so excited 🙂

If it's your first time on the longer ones, be prepared. We boarded, had lunch (the lounge doesn't seem much bigger, probably due to being furnished), then went up to the sun deck to wander. That's when it hit us how big the ship was! Our cabin was about 1 past the ones we usually get on the smaller ships, and we noticed it there as well, just that little bit longer to get to. Didn't mind, it was that much more walking to wear off all the excess calories we take in with all the great food. 🙂

Enjoy your cruise, I hope you manage to do a review, I'm curious as to what it's like.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, YoungDubFan said:

On the Seine, the shorter boats may dock closer to the Eiffel Tower. I tend to book the shorter ships if possible, just because less passengers. 

I was worried about having more passengers on the larger ship, but I guess with the larger sized ship you didn't notice it. Plus, it's only 19 more couples, if both ships are booked full with couples. Counting in solo travelers, and ships not being fully booked, you may not even notice the difference.

I think for the tours on the French rivers (excluding the Rhine) are all on the smaller ships, I looked through several and that was all I found. The Danube will have both sizes.

There is one area where the shorter ships have an advantage:  low water.  They tend to have shallower drafts, and all of them are more maneuverable through the twisty bits – those features allow them to keep sailing in low water when the 135m ships have already stopped.

[edited to add:] I have been shown below that the 110m ships do not have shallower draft than the 135ms.  So their superiority in low water must stem from the increased maneuverability that allows them to stay in navigation channels that have been narrowed by low water.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There is one area where the shorter ships have an advantage:  low water.  They tend to have shallower drafts, and all of them are more maneuverable through the twisty bits – those features allow them to keep sailing in low water when the 135m ships have already stopped.

Not always. Just looked draft for Avalon View (135m)  and Avalon Imagery II specs from the ship yard and they seem the same.

IMG_0926.png

IMG_0925.png
I’m not a ship expert, so could be wrong.

Edited by Daisi

The Air Draft is the distance from the water surface to the top of the vessel Jazz is referring to the Depth Draft which is from the water level to the bottom of the vessel. Most of these measurements are shown on Marine Traffic and I suspect other tracking sights. That’s as far as I know and the heavier the load the deeper a vessel sits in the water. To sit higher shedding water in some circumstances helps with navigation through a shallow section. 

So if I'm reading this correctly, the draft (draught) for the View (135m) is 1.6m, the Imagery II (110m) is 1.7m.

Therefore, the View has less draft even though being a longer ship?

Screenshot 2024-07-11 121432.jpg

Screenshot 2024-07-11 121810 View.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2024 at 7:12 AM, Daisi said:

If it's your first time on the longer ones, be prepared. We boarded, had lunch (the lounge doesn't seem much bigger, probably due to being furnished), then went up to the sun deck to wander. That's when it hit us how big the ship was! Our cabin was about 1 past the ones we usually get on the smaller ships, and we noticed it there as well, just that little bit longer to get to. Didn't mind, it was that much more walking to wear off all the excess calories we take in with all the great food. 🙂

Enjoy your cruise, I hope you manage to do a review, I'm curious as to what it's like.

I've been on the Artistry II and the Siem Reap.  Obviously the latter was smaller.  The Artistry II was a couple months after the bombings in Paris and there were only 52 of us on the boat so we were really spoiled.  I am a bit nervous about being on a fully booked boat after the first two experiences.  I'm just so excited to go I'll make the most of it.  We are in a Royal cabin so if I get too over stimulated with people I know I have my space to retreat to :).

Edited by Rebel54