Celebrity solstice

Looking at a cruise to Asia with celebrity solstice, have never cruised with them before, as we aren't into dressing up is this to posh a cruise, or are you still able to enjoy most areas dressed down in your jeans and t shirt, we usually eat in the buffet restaurant so understand the main dining area usually comes with a smart casual or more dependent on occasion 

I was looking at there video and most seemed to be enjoying the cruise in non casual clothes, so as my normal attire is jeans, trainers and t shirt/ polo shirt, I wondered if I would be out of place in that environment.

If it's just a marketing video and the reality is only dress up in the main dining area on certain occasions, then great we will be fine.

Posted (edited)

When I am on vacation, I am on vacation and do not want shirt and tie. OI cannot understand why I cannot wear shorts in the MDR, my Wife can.

I do not, in any way, want to restrict anyone or be restricted to any type of dress.

I temper that by saying I expect the dress on the ship to be equal to that of on shore. If you want to dress up, then go to a fancier restaurant, on shore or on board.

Dress and food, the most debated topics on these forums, regardless of cruise line 🙂

Edited by pete_coach
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Dairbear01 said:

the reality is only dress up in the main dining area on certain occasions

That is not the reality.  Dress up is optional.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the posts, so we can relax and enjoy, on a different note, has anyone experienced how they cope with gluten allergies which unfortunately my wife has.

We have only cruised so far with Fred Olsen and we're very well looked after even in the buffet restaurant, so we hoped that would be the same on celebrity.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Really one of the only dress rules is no shorts in the MDR for dinner.  Other than that be as casual as you want.

No shorts was definitely not enforced in the MDR last week on the Eclipse.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, michri said:

No shorts was definitely not enforced in the MDR last week on the Eclipse.  

No shorts is an odd rule.

I have seen shorts in the MDR and that is fine by me, especially when it is hot outside..

Is the "No Shorts" rule for men only? Short dresses or skirts, miniskirts OK? Something about hairy legged men that is unwanted?? LOL

• Like 1

You will be fine.   Blue Jeans and T-Shirts with slaves are acceptable in all restaurants for Breakfast and Lunch.    If you wanted to be acceptable for dinner the only change would be a collared shirt -  A golf shirt would be an easy addition and still give you the relaxed feel you wish and comply with the dress code. 

• Like 1

Celebrity is very good with allergies. My key to success was discussing it with the Maitre'D in Luminae and including the statement “I need someone good to serve us who can manage his allergies. In his case, it was a serious dairy allergy and there were things he couldn’t eat but for most things it was simple to change a side or a sauce. Desserts were impossible but his choice was always sherbet with chocolate sauce. Many times he’d receive a dairy free cake or a pudding.

Often, they’d have you order the night before.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

I have seen shorts in the MDR and that is fine by me, especially when it is hot outside..

Is the "No Shorts" rule for men only? Short dresses or skirts, miniskirts OK? Something about hairy legged men that is unwanted?? LOL

Per their website:

Shorts and flip flops are not considered Smart Casual. 

I am guessing that is for women as well.  I think it is just a crap-shoot on whether it is enforced.

I don’t care what others wear and honestly would love the option to wear nice shorts to dinner.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

"Odd" in what sense?  Historical? Not odd. X and most others have had the rule all along. It might be odd if it changed.  Relative? Not odd. Most restaurants have dress codes, so if you look at the ones on land that are large enough to explain their dress codes, you'll see "no shorts" is the norm.  

So is it odd in some other way? Maybe, but not to folks who cruise on Celebrity or who go to mainstream nice restaurants on land.

The great news is NO ONE will starve on a cruise as there are plenty of options for places to eat while wearing shorts 🙂 just not the MDR or other specialty restaurants. 

If you look through the subforum on Q&A with Laura  you will see a lot of people asking for the "no shorts" to be either enforced or removed.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

"Odd" in what sense?  Historical? Not odd. X and most others have had the rule all along. It might be odd if it changed.  Relative? Not odd. Most restaurants have dress codes, so if you look at the ones on land that are large enough to explain their dress codes, you'll see "no shorts" is the norm.  

So is it odd in some other way? Maybe, but not to folks who cruise on Celebrity or who go to mainstream nice restaurants on land.

The great news is NO ONE will starve on a cruise as there are plenty of options for places to eat while wearing shorts 🙂 just not the MDR or other specialty restaurants. 

You missed the rest of my post and I think it explains "odd".

Things historical have changed.  Used to throw gay military persons into but we don't anymore. Many had encyclopedias at home but we don't anymore. Used to smoke in restaurants but not anymore.

Point is things change as dress code change.A thong bikini is not banned anymore LOL Sandals are allowed...what is the difference between a sandal and flip flop other than material it is made of?

The only real rule I have seen in most land restaurants is "no shoes, no shirt, no service".

Celebrity sees where the money is and they need clients that want to be and feel comfortable. The historical rules of cruise is changing all the time and shirt, tie and jacket for dinner are no longer the norm.The MDR is the most common eateries on board, it is not far from a cafeteria.  If you want to dress up, go to one of the specialty eateries.

From the Celebrity FAQ on the website "In main and specialty dining, we ask guests to refrain from wearing swimsuits, see-through coverups or robes, bare feet, tank tops, T-shirts, and baseball caps. "  Shorts seem to be OK 🙂

Edited by pete_coach

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

If you look through the subforum on Q&A with Laura  you will see a lot of people asking for the "no shorts" to be either enforced or removed.  

I asked the question "Why do you not enforce the rules you have onboard?" in the upcoming Q and A with the Celebrity CEO.

Not saying Celebrity should become a "Virgin"type" cruise line but they could surely modernize and get standards up to date.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pete_coach said:

I asked the question "Why do you not enforce the rules you have onboard?" in the upcoming Q and A with the Celebrity CEO.

Not saying Celebrity should become a "Virgin"type" cruise line but they could surely modernize and get standards up to date.

Sounds like you want a more "traditional" standard, as "modernize" would mean more casual.  The dress code always trends toward more casual, 20-25 years ago it was rare for offices to allow jeans other than casual days.  Many companies that now want their remote workers to return to the office have relaxed the dress code to eliminate one pain point.  You now have X more aligning itself with RCI, there's now Coco Cay, more short cruises, cruises out of Port Canaveral which attracts young families to Disney World, etc, all these new things are going to attract more casual and often younger cruisers.  There's a dress code violation every dinner, if one doesn't see it, they're not looking hard enough.  Perhaps X is intentionally not enforcing the dress code to not tick off the younger generation.  Maybe they want to compete with Virgin.  Just some food for thought

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Perhaps X is intentionally not enforcing the dress code to not tick off the younger generation.  Maybe they want to compete with Virgin.  Just some food for thought

Maybe in the process they are repelling some of their loyal base, like ourselves, who are taking our cruise dollars elsewhere. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, cruzzzinma said:

Celebrity is very good with allergies. My key to success was discussing it with the Maitre'D in Luminae and including the statement “I need someone good to serve us who can manage his allergies. In his case, it was a serious dairy allergy and there were things he couldn’t eat but for most things it was simple to change a side or a sauce. Desserts were impossible but his choice was always sherbet with chocolate sauce. Many times he’d receive a dairy free cake or a pudding.

Often, they’d have you order the night before.

You say “desserts were impossible” but he got dairy free desserts.  Can you clarify?

We traveled and ate with a friend who is gluten intolerant and your advice matches what they told her.  Order the day before.  The staff REALLY tried to take care of her.

When they bring out two choices, don’t say “but I wanted a third option”.

Edited by zitsky

11 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Maybe in the process they are repelling some of their loyal base, like ourselves, who are taking our cruise dollars elsewhere. 

Like any business, cruise business is there to make money and maybe you are right.

They may be repelling their "loyal" base for younger folks ....that spend money? I think cruise lines sell the cruise but really make their money on extras?

12 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Sounds like you want a more "traditional" standard, as "modernize" would mean more casual.  The dress code always trends toward more casual, 20-25 years ago it was rare for offices to allow jeans other than casual days.  Many companies that now want their remote workers to return to the office have relaxed the dress code to eliminate one pain point.  You now have X more aligning itself with RCI, there's now Coco Cay, more short cruises, cruises out of Port Canaveral which attracts young families to Disney World, etc, all these new things are going to attract more casual and often younger cruisers.  There's a dress code violation every dinner, if one doesn't see it, they're not looking hard enough.  Perhaps X is intentionally not enforcing the dress code to not tick off the younger generation.  Maybe they want to compete with Virgin.  Just some food for thought

My question to the CEO is "Why do you not enforce the rules you have onboard?" i". Yes that includes dress but also things like disallowing chair hogs (my personal gripe). 

In the summer, I wear shots, everywhere including restaurants. If I go to a "fancy" restaurant (like the specialty restaurants) I put on pants.

Once again "From the Celebrity FAQ on the website "In main and specialty dining, we ask guests to refrain from wearing swimsuits, see-through coverups or robes, bare feet, tank tops, T-shirts, and baseball caps. " It does not exclude shorts.....even in specialty restaurants.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 3:59 AM, Dairbear01 said:

Looking at a cruise to Asia with celebrity solstice, have never cruised with them before, as we aren't into dressing up is this to posh a cruise, or are you still able to enjoy most areas dressed down in your jeans and t shirt, we usually eat in the buffet restaurant so understand the main dining area usually comes with a smart casual or more dependent on occasion 

We did the Solstice in Alaska in 2022.  That was our first X cruise and hooked us.  

You can dress as posh as you wish but formal nights are a thing of the past called Evening Chic.

The only time I really saw people dressed up business casual or higher was in the evenings and happy to see most people remain dressed that way through the evening.