What's in your carry-on?

On 8/3/2024 at 4:49 PM, clo said:

The more baggage there is, the more it weighs and that costs the airlines more in fuel. If people wouldn't be jerks there would be enough room in the bins. And that's a gift from the airlines.

I don’t know, I blame the government for not maintaining minimum standards of service on airlines.  They’ve been allowed to uncouple so much from flights.  Surcharges on baggage, food, as well as constantly decreasing space have taken from the experience as well as safety.  Baggage surcharges is what led people to try and take as much as they can in cabin.  At least one person each flight looks like the Michelin Man wearing excessive clothes and pockets stuffed.

Back to OPs question, I’m surprised no one said “Capital One.”

14 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I wonder how many people have thousands of photos on their cell phones and never either delete the bad ones or back up the good ones.  I back up my phone and my camera every day when I travel.

DON

This is very true. Just checked and I have hundreds many many hundreds. Some of them appear to be the floor in front of me. Until I just checked I cant remember the last time I scrolled through them.

Someone at work thought I was weird because I dont have any photos of me as a child. Not one. Cant see the point of having any.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

I don't take one either now that I'm retired.   I can see some uses. 

Easier to post comments to forums and write blogs.

Necessary for those who do actual work. 

Photo editing and backup

Games, movies, etc. 

Yeh, I get this if you they were a blogger or something similar. But then, they are working.

When I am on my cruise I am on holiday. I dont care how many private emails I get, and I certainly dont care about work. Work can do one.

I cant think of any private email i would get that was THAT important it couldnt wait until i was back.

And if work needed me on holiday, then something has gone very wrong with the company. I am really not that important. And I suggest nobody else is either. Even though some give the impression they are.

Just need to keep up to date with the sports news and scores. Phone does that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I cant think of any private email i would get that was THAT important it couldnt wait until i was back.

I can easily think of some. I guess it depends on priorities. 

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

And if work needed me on holiday, then something has gone very wrong with the company. I am really not that important. And I suggest nobody else is either. Even though some give the impression they are.

Those not important to the job were soon unemployed in my company.  But I do think I understand your perspective.  Employees should not be expected to work during their time off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I can easily think of some. I guess it depends on priorities. 

Those not important to the job were soon unemployed in my company.  But I do think I understand your perspective.  Employees should not be expected to work during their time off. 

To clarify. I didn't say they weren't important. I was trying to say they aren't THAT important, that they can't take a holiday.

My job doesn't rely on something so critical happening during a 2 week period, that the business would fall apart if they couldnt contact me. 

Also If the boss doesn't trust their staff then they are just a really poor boss.

I genuinely can't think of an email that would be so important that I need to see them when on holiday

(Although I suppose icould read on my phone anyway).

If something major was happening at home I would expect a phone call. 

My photos on my iPhone back up to the cloud automatically but I use the laptop to read books and watch movies and other entertainment.

Plus, once I had a flight canceled and was stuck at my destination for a few extra days. I had brought my work laptop and was able to get in some extra work and not have to take PTO for those days.

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2024 at 11:53 AM, DarrenM said:

To clarify. I didn't say they weren't important. I was trying to say they aren't THAT important, that they can't take a holiday.

My job doesn't rely on something so critical happening during a 2 week period, that the business would fall apart if they couldnt contact me. 

Also If the boss doesn't trust their staff then they are just a really poor boss.

I genuinely can't think of an email that would be so important that I need to see them when on holiday

(Although I suppose icould read on my phone anyway).

If something major was happening at home I would expect a phone call. 

When I worked during a cruise, it had nothing to do with reading emails or daily operations.  My experience and perspective is certainly different than yours.  

• Like 2

On 8/10/2024 at 3:59 AM, ldubs said:

When I worked during a cruise, it had nothing to do with reading emails or daily operations.  My experience and perspective is certainly different than yours.  

you certainly wont be the only one with a different perspective to me.  I accept I am a little off the wall.

I motto throughout life has been work to live, not live to work, and I accept this has held me back career wise. I once turned down the job of a lifetime, because I didnt want to be away from home when my kids were little. I figured being around was more important, than earning way more money. Yes I regretted it a little later.

So, when I am on holiday, i have no interest in looking at work emails, or worrying that the business will fall apart without me. Because it wont. And I dont earn enough to care that much anyway.

Choices we make eh?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DarrenM said:

you certainly wont be the only one with a different perspective to me.  I accept I am a little off the wall.

I motto throughout life has been work to live, not live to work, and I accept this has held me back career wise. I once turned down the job of a lifetime, because I didnt want to be away from home when my kids were little. I figured being around was more important, than earning way more money. Yes I regretted it a little later.

So, when I am on holiday, i have no interest in looking at work emails, or worrying that the business will fall apart without me. Because it wont. And I dont earn enough to care that much anyway.

Choices we make eh?

Yes, I agree with you.  Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean a carry-on for the plane that goes in overhead compartment?  Or what you'll carry on to the ship while the luggage is being loaded --  (basically your "personal item" that goes under the plane seat)?

If the carry-in for the overhead compartment, almost everything, since we don't check bags.  BUT this is the bag we'll drop off at the pier for porters to take to our cabin.  So I don't pack anything I can't live without if the bag is lost.

The other bag is the airline's personal item, which is also what I'll carry on to the ship -- a large-ish backpack.  In it goes:  Laptop, jewelry (minimal), meds, small purse with wallet and cell phone in it, printed cruise notes and docs including Travel Summary in case cruise app flakes out on me, chargers for cell and laptop, extra eyeglasses, sunglasses, small  notebook, few personal hygiene items.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 3:17 PM, lynncarol said:

It is easy to handwash things along the way

One thing we like about Princess is that every deck has a nice self-serve laundromat.

On 8/1/2024 at 8:35 PM, Keksie said:

How about they quit charging for checked luggage.  People would go back to checking their luggage and not try to carry on two weeks worth of stuff.

What a good idea!!  I don't know how the current policies benefit anyone, especially flight attendants.  Let's face it, we are becoming less civilized every year.  Flying used to be fun -- an adventure; now it's just agony.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ecs66 said:

What a good idea!!  I don't know how the current policies benefit anyone, especially flight attendants.  Let's face it, we are becoming less civilized every year.  Flying used to be fun -- an adventure; now it's just agony.

We have two credit cards that give us free checked bags. One is associated with United and their Star Alliance partners.

87 posts on what is in your checked bag.  Come on!!  It isn't that complicated.  1) What you absolutely need in the 1st few hours on board.  2) What will ruin your trip if you don't have it and what you can't quickly pick up at the 1st port.  3) What will cause your death if you don't have it.

DON

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2024 at 7:39 AM, ecs66 said:

One thing we like about Princess is that every deck has a nice self-serve laundromat.

Yes a nice feature, if you can find an available machine.  The last time I was successful was at 4 a.m. which was fine because that was Western time and I was still on Eastern time.

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2024 at 8:59 AM, zqvol said:

I have to laugh, because the truth is that the chance of your bags being lost or delayed is very small.

Hardy har har. My DH's big bag was lost in Istanbul. After 2 days (day before boarding), it hadn't shown up. Instead of touring sites, we spent all day shopping to buy him clothes. After nearly 40 cruises, of course he knows how to pack. But we'd never lost our bags, knock on wood....Nearly every port had a boat, beach or snorkel trip; he put both swim trunks in his checked bag. Ditto his "nicer" dinner togs. And underwear! And sox! Me, wandering along behind him: Honey always pack in your carryon what will impact you negatively if it doesn't show up. DH: awrightawreddy!!! PS--do take pics of your bags.

Edited by sofietucker

Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2024 at 10:43 AM, DarrenM said:

This is very true. Just checked and I have hundreds many many hundreds. Some of them appear to be the floor in front of me. Until I just checked I cant remember the last time I scrolled through them.

Someone at work thought I was weird because I dont have any photos of me as a child. Not one. Cant see the point of having any.

Do you have kids? We just threw my mother a 90th-Bday party and created a slide show that included many childhood pics: hers, her sibs, her kids, their kids... It was fu to scroll through--and also to note family resemblances.

Edited by sofietucker

On 8/24/2024 at 11:32 PM, sofietucker said:

Do you have kids? We just threw my mother a 90th-Bday party and created a slide show that included many childhood pics: hers, her sibs, her kids, their kids... It was fu to scroll through--and also to note family resemblances.

Yes. 2 Adult sons. Wife has kept tonnes of photos of them from when they were young, taken with a camera. Not a phone.

I would guess the last photos of them will have been when they were around 16 and 12,

I just dont take photos of people, and I wont have one taken of me, Cant bear pretending to smile like I am the happiest I have ever been posing in front of something. Would rather take a photo of the something.

Fakery is fake at all tomes.

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Yes. 2 Adult sons. Wife has kept tonnes of photos of them from when they were young, taken with a camera. Not a phone.

I would guess the last photos of them will have been when they were around 16 and 12,

I just dont take photos of people, and I wont have one taken of me, Cant bear pretending to smile like I am the happiest I have ever been posing in front of something. Would rather take a photo of the something.

Fakery is fake at all tomes.

Well, if a smile is in conflict with your actual feelings, then you shouldn't be forced to smile.  

14 hours ago, ldubs said:

Well, if a smile is in conflict with your actual feelings, then you shouldn't be forced to smile.  

Ah yes, but when you are enjoying something you are probably smiling anyway. But then someone says let's have a photo, and people position themselves to have a photo taken.

And the genuine smile is gone to be replaced by the smile you want to show others later.

If someone took my photo when I was smiling at something and I didn't realise they were taking a photo it would look genuine.

See?

And I have never been one to show my holiday snaps to be some poor soul that hadn't been there, and is frankly wishing they were somewhere else, as I was showing off my pics.

Or is it just me that's not interested in others holiday snaps of them stood somewhere posing?

You know the sort of thing.

"Here's one of us smiling by the pool"

"Here's one of us eating in the main dining room"

"Here's one of us at the bar"

And so it goes on. 

🥱🥱🥱🥱😁😁

11 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Ah yes, but when you are enjoying something you are probably smiling anyway. But then someone says let's have a photo, and people position themselves to have a photo taken.

And the genuine smile is gone to be replaced by the smile you want to show others later.

If someone took my photo when I was smiling at something and I didn't realise they were taking a photo it would look genuine.

See?

And I have never been one to show my holiday snaps to be some poor soul that hadn't been there, and is frankly wishing they were somewhere else, as I was showing off my pics.

Or is it just me that's not interested in others holiday snaps of them stood somewhere posing?

I'm sure you don't mean that to apply to a pic of my cat Fluffy, or a pic of me with the fish I almost caught.   🙂

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Probably. 😉

I used to not put my holiday companions into my photos but when I looked at them later, they seemed sterile. Plus I couldn't remember which trip it was (for places I've been to more than once) and who I was with. So now I put them in some pix at least.

On 8/30/2024 at 1:13 AM, DarrenM said:

Would rather take a photo of the something.

I actually get annoyed when I see a photo that has a person, whether I know them or not, blocking my view of something I may never see again. If you DO have those pix please don't share on social media. Okay???

• Like 1