Infinite Balcony Question

Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2024 at 7:46 AM, newtampagirl said:

We have stayed in both including Magic Carpet suites which have huge balconies. I find myself spending more time sitting in the infinite balcony watching the view than on an actual balcony, especially in hot weather. We did a move up on our recent RCI's Icon of the Seas from a balcony to an infinite balcony. We have had both on that ship too. It makes the room feel more spacious, it's more private, no neighbor noise or lights. Try it once, you may like it.

Are you sure?  So many people claim that there is no balcony here but only window that you allowed to open sometimes.  So, it appears that you open the window, crawl out and magically seat in the air (on the magic carpet, perhaps?).

Edited by kirtihk
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, the penguins said:

great pics - they really highlight why the IV will never be for us:

1) My wife has mobility/back issues and sitting in those chairs for more than 5 minutes would be impossible. No back support, no recline and nowhere to fit in footstools.

2) the table is so small it certainly wouldn't hold our lunch would hardly hold 2 coffees and a couple of cakes.

My view view on IV's is unchanged:

Prefect for those who like the idea of a balcony but rarely use and have no mobility/back.

issues.

Useless for anyone who likes to spend a lot of time relaxing on the balcony in chairs that recline, have back supports and room for footstools

We will never cruise E Class and have just booked Eclipse out of Amsterdam to avoid E class out of Southampton

Same furniture on S cabins when Edge came out.

2 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Are you sure?  So many people claim that there is no balcony here but only window that you allowed to open sometimes.  So, it appears that you open the window, crawl out and magically seat in the air.

People say the IV room is bigger but I’ve not googled to see how much bigger it is than a non Edge veranda cabin.

2 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Are you sure?  So many people claim that there is no balcony here but only window that you allowed to open sometimes.  So, it appears that you open the window, crawl out and magically seat in the air.

Same people, same complaints but not all have sailed in one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oville said:

Same Kool-aid.  Same cheerleaders who obviously work for Celebrity.

I have not crossed the ocean in a rowboat but somehow I just don’t think I’d enjoy the experience.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Oville said:

It's actually loggia - a variation of balcony that is not extended out of the wall but rather incorporated within walls.  A lot of European houses have this balcony style.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Oville said:

Same furniture on S cabins when Edge came out.

I beg to differ, Same furniture??

Those chairs on E class IV rooms are very uncomfortable. I've sailed on all S class ships, multiple times, and never experienced this

And yes Ive recently sailed on the Ascent. Beautiful ship, just not a fan of the infamous IV cabins

Cheers

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Please stop calling it a window.  It is not.  It is an INFINITE VERANDA.  lol

Why do some people hate it?  Maybe the misleading marketing.  Is it Infinite?  Is it a veranda by any standard definition?

How would you like to pay for a Mercedes and get a Toyota?  “Well we CALLED it a Mercedes.  Isn’t that enough?”

I like it better than a standard balcony, so I guess I like getting the Mercedes when paying for the Toyota. 🤷

Once you’ve been in an IV stateroom, you know. You like it or you don’t. It’s purely subjective. Not saying anyone in this has done this, but some like to give their opinions and/or reviews while never actually staying in an IV stateroom.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Same Kool-aid.  Same cheerleaders who obviously work for Celebrity.

I have not crossed the ocean in a rowboat but somehow I just don’t think I’d enjoy the experience.

Don’t work for Celebrity and our preference is Retreat cabins.on Edge Class and that is all we sail now.  My views on IVs were simply from our experiences back pre-Covid.  

Your final comment isn’t even funny or clever.  We all know you have never and will not sail in an IV so why not let it go.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Direct from the horses mouth

nice to see them finally admit a large number of their guests hate them. 

I didn't see her mention "a large number". She said people love it or hate it and they are re-evaluating the ratio. Not that they're getting rid of them. If it was that "large" a number, they'd eliminate them all together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, highway180 said:

I beg to differ, Same furniture??

Those chairs on E class IV rooms are very uncomfortable. I've sailed on all S class ships, multiple times, and never experienced this

And yes Ive recently sailed on the Ascent. Beautiful ship, just not a fan of the infamous IV cabins

Cheers

I said on E-Class and the furniture in our S1s was very similar to the IV cabins.

45 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

It's been a few years since I've been on a cruise balcony, but on the aft of the ship I remember thinking 'there is no wind back here.'  I don't remember the weather being anything unusual.  I know it left me thinking there is no wind on the back of the ship.  First, is that accurate of all aft balconies on all ships?  If so, is that what the wind with  the IV window down is similar to?

Honestly, I can't remember a side balcony being all that windy either - but I haven't been on one in about 10 years.  I know it was more windy than on the back of the ship or I wouldn't have noticed a difference.

Have never sailed in an aft bal. 

I sailed last month on the Connie in a traditional balcony and tbh we used it NEVER! It was scorching hot and absolutely no breeze. I also sailed on Liberty with RCCL this past Dec in a traditional balcony and also used it NEVER! Storms rolled in, the wind and rocking made it dangerous.

I fly out tomorrow for Alaska, boarding Solstice on Sunday with a traditional balcony....So all in all... I'll sail in either and take my chances with the weather but I ultimately prefer the IV. 

Patty 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cw2go said:

I sailed last month on the Connie in a traditional balcony and tbh we used it NEVER! It was scorching hot and absolutely no breeze. I also sailed on Liberty with RCCL this past Dec in a traditional balcony and also used it NEVER! Storms rolled in, the wind and rocking made it dangerous.

I fly out tomorrow for Alaska, boarding Solstice on Sunday with a traditional balcony....So all in all... I'll sail in either and take my chances with the weather but I ultimately prefer the IV. 

Patty 

Have a great cruise.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mysticbluebmw said:

I like it better than a standard balcony, so I guess I like getting the Mercedes when paying for the Toyota. 🤷

Once you’ve been in an IV stateroom, you know. You like it or you don’t. It’s purely subjective. Not saying anyone in this has done this, but some like to give their opinions and/or reviews while never actually staying in an IV stateroom.

Precisely!

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I didn't see her mention "a large number". She said people love it or hate it and they are re-evaluating the ratio. Not that they're getting rid of them. If it was that "large" a number, they'd eliminate them all together.

I think you’re confusing large number with majority.  Unless a large number is against something there would be no need to change but obviously there is a large enough number that hate them the the next build will be more balanced with a traditional balcony and IV. You’re free to interpret large number differently.  🤷🏻‍♀️

1 minute ago, Oville said:

I said on E-Class and the furniture in our S1s was very similar to the IV cabins.

Your actual wording said S cabins?

I took it as S class

Cheers

2 minutes ago, cw2go said:

I sailed in an aft balcony AQ last summer on the Summit and while yes, there were great views, there was not a lot of breeze unless it was generally breezy and the floor got stupid hot. If I forgot to put on my flip flops before going out there, I was almost tripping over the door frame getting back in to get them. Definitely not the enjoyable experience many paint them as for me. If it works for them, great...I'm perfectly happy with my booked IVs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cruise Junky said:

I think you’re confusing large number with majority.  Unless a large number is against something there would be no need to change but obviously there is a large enough number that hate them the the next build will be more balanced with a traditional balcony and IV. You’re free to interpret large number differently.  🤷🏻‍♀️

Again, when I read it, what she said was polarizing. I never saw the words "large number" in the post. If they were there, please quote them.

I feel more cruisers would enjoy the Infinite Balcony if the furniture was more comfortable. IMHO.

We liked the Infinite Balcony but not the uncomfortable chairs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Again, when I read it, what she said was polarizing. I never saw the words "large number" in the post. If they were there, please quote them.

I never said she said it. I said that a large number hates them or they would not be making a change.  Whether you interpret large number to be 10%, 20% or 50%, I don’t really care. As I said, enough people hate them that they are adding in more traditional balconies on the next generation of ships.  

Just now, Cruise Junky said:

I never said she said it. I said that a large number hates them or they would not be making a change.  Whether you interpret large number to be 10%, 20% or 50%, I don’t really care. As I said, enough people hate them that they are adding in more traditional balconies on the next generation of ships.  

We're never going to come to an agreement on this, but again... She never gave numbers either of percentage that hates them or what the ratio is. It could be 2 IVs to every 1 regular. It could be the other way. All she said was they are polarizing and they will be adjusting the ratio. Without numbers no one knows how "large" that number is.

26 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Direct from the horses mouth

nice to see them finally admit a large number of their guests hate them. 

Easier said than done, I would think…

1 minute ago, Cruise Junky said:

I’m not even sure re-evaluating means that they will actually make any changes to future builds at all. I believe in choices, so I would like to see a more desirable ratio. That said, I’d probably still choose an IV 😅

I hope it doesn’t appear I’m trying to force my opinions on anyone. We all have our likes and dislikes, and no one is wrong in their opinion. We just like port intensive itineraries and only appreciate the “balcony” briefly in the morning before heading out and briefly in the evening before going to dinner, drinks and show(s).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

Easier said than done, I would think…

Yes, not my wheelhouse though. Doesn’t the new Royal ship have a small proportion of IVs? No idea what’s being planned for X