New July 1 law on full pricing disclosure does not seem to be impacting sales

55 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

The new law is catered to people who are incapable or unwilling to do simple math and need to be spoon fed. 

Bingo

47 minutes ago, BossyKat said:

Sales are UP !  And have been.

The law just took affect July 1.  Sales have been up but this link is the affect since 7/1. 

1 hour ago, maxandmolly said:

Why would it affect bookings?  The price is the same in the end. 

Because people looking at quotes and unknowing of what the new law enforced the the industry to do, might defer thinking with the popularity and their past history and experience to look elsewhere 

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

The new law is catered to people who are incapable or unwilling to do simple math and need to be spoon fed. 

Really?  Why would you prefer unbundled pricing with add-on fees over being provided the all-in price?  

I don't think they went far enough not to mention the back peddling with restaurants.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I don't think they went far enough not to mention the back peddling with restaurants.  

What do you mean?

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

I am baffled that you think a company showing the actual price upfront is a bad thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maxandmolly said:

Why would it affect bookings?  The price is the same in the end. 

You are correct except solo cruisers are having to reach a bit deeper into their pockets now to pay twice as much for the newly created " required fees and expenses" subcategory. And a lot deeper if you book a solo repositioning Panama canal cruise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

You are correct except solo cruisers are having to reach a bit deeper into their pockets now to pay twice as much for the newly created " required fees and expenses" subcategory. And a lot deeper if you book a solo repositioning Panama canal cruise. 

I thought that was a glitch that was getting worked out?  As a former solo cruiser, I would have been furious if that happened to me. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, maxandmolly said:

I thought that was a glitch that was getting worked out?  As a former solo cruiser, I would have been furious if that happened to me. 

I don't think it's a glitch. How long did it take Carnival to fix the glitch when people were buying cheers with the spa discount? It got fixed in a rather timely manner, hours. This hasn't changed and it has been 19 days. I don't cruise solo myself, but I would be irked a bit if I did. 

Edited by n6uqqq
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, mz-s said:

What do you mean?

I think the price should include taxes too.    Regarding restaurants, there was a last minute change by lawmakers to allow restaurants to avoid including mandatory service charges in the listed price.  

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

I think the price should include taxes too.    Regarding restaurants, there was a last minute change by lawmakers to allow restaurants to avoid including mandatory service charges in the listed price.  

Oh, I thought you were still talking about Carnival there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the old way better. I can figure out exactly what I'm paying for each item before I book. Everything you had to pay was listed and easy to add up. Now, they can just increase any "required" item price and you pay whatever, no breakdown. As for cost, it sure seems to be going up to me and not just for Carnival. 

JMHO

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Really?  Why would you prefer unbundled pricing with add-on fees over being provided the all-in price?  

Why would they need to back peddle at all with restaurants?  The point was that for the majority, there was no change in pricing but only in the quotation.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

The whole thing is a lot to do over nothing.  The end result is single cruisers pay more now.  All because someone has to meddle in a no gain add on that solves nothing.  The real question is will you cruise more or less because of this meddling?

37 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

I like the old way better. I can figure out exactly what I'm paying for each item before I book. Everything you had to pay was listed and easy to add up. Now, they can just increase any "required" item price and you pay whatever, no breakdown. As for cost, it sure seems to be going up to me and not just for Carnival. 

JMHO

Bingo, but that is what happens when politicians “know better”.

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The whole thing is a lot to do over nothing.  The end result is single cruisers pay more now.  All because someone has to meddle in a no gain add on that solves nothing.  The real question is will you cruise more or less because of this meddling?

That's Carnival's fault, not the fault of the legislation.

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

No legislation, no foul.  

I hate useless regulations as much as the next person, but in this case I think it is warranted. The consumer should know upfront how much they're required to pay. It's been the case for airlines, buses, etc., for quite some time. Why was cruise line travel treated differently?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

I hate useless regulations as much as the next person, but in this case I think it is warranted. The consumer should know upfront how much they're required to pay. It's been the case for airlines, buses, etc., for quite some time. Why was cruise line travel treated differently?

You know exactly what you pay when you book.  Micro managing the quotation process solves absolutely nothing and def qualifies as an overreach.  Airlines online menu drive their sales all the time, what rate you pick, what seat you pick etc etc.  You know what you pay when you book.  All this said, it is here now and we know who to thank.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

I like the old way better.

I’m with you.  I hate it this way.  Maybe I will just have to get used to it.  

Port fees?   It’s a given.  And it changes anyway.  

Taxes?  It’s a given.  

Just give me the cabin rate per person and then I can compare what I can get elsewhere.  

If you have to figure taxes, fees down to the penny then you probably don’t have any business going on cruises. 

And I would wonder where the grats were coming from.  

49 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Cruise travel just got dragged into this. This was basically aimed at hotels and B&Bs. 

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Cruise travel just got dragged into this. This was basically aimed at hotels and B&Bs. 

And places like Las Vegas where the room is $20 a night but the "resort fee" is the actual cost of the room.

• Like 1