New July 1 law on full pricing disclosure does not seem to be impacting sales

10 minutes ago, mz-s said:

And places like Las Vegas where the room is $20 a night but the "resort fee" is the actual cost of the room.

Yes, and B&Bs where the "cleaning fee" can dwarf the original quoted price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Why would they need to back peddle at all with restaurants?  The point was that for the majority, there was no change in pricing but only in the quotation.

Changes were made to the original law to accommodate restaurants.  If truly interested you can find it online.    

The intent of the law was not to change pricing.  It was to have the price shown include all fees and charges.  Other than having to adapt to change and "I can do the addition", I am interested in someone explaining the reason they prefer hidden fees.   

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

The whole thing is a lot to do over nothing.  The end result is single cruisers pay more now.  All because someone has to meddle in a no gain add on that solves nothing.  The real question is will you cruise more or less because of this meddling?

In response to your  "real question" this change will not have any impact on how often we do a cruise.   Going forward, the prices shown will include fees.  

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

In response to your  "real question" this change will not have any impact on how often we do a cruise.   Going forward, the prices shown will include fees.  

Thanks for the reply.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, maxandmolly said:

I thought that was a glitch that was getting worked out?  As a former solo cruiser, I would have been furious if that happened to me. 

I hope you are right.   This is happening to solo travelers as a result of the change would not be right.   

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2024 at 2:08 PM, audcc77 said:

If you have to figure taxes, fees down to the penny then you probably don’t have any business going on cruises. 

Some elitist stuff right here, eh? And I thought that sense of elitism was reserved for RCL cruisers.

*In all seriousness, I don't agree with your take. People should be able to know a price upfront. It's simple. Wanting all of the information upfront is responsible in many senses, including financially.

Edited by notscb
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 11:51 AM, n6uqqq said:

It got fixed in a rather timely manner, hours

You're talking about a minor system error versus re-coding the entire sales website to accurately reflect solo cabin pricing. It's a bit different, and John Heald has already commented that this is in fact an error that they are working to resolve.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

All change is not necessarily good. Might work for some but not for everybody.

I'm confused, how does showing the full price upfront (some would just call this transparency) not "work" for everybody, especially when cruise lines are notorious for bait-and-switching folks with their "low" cabin rates only to double it when you get to checkout.

Edited by notscb
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, notscb said:

I'm confused, how does showing the full price upfront (some would just call this transparency) not "work" for everybody, especially when cruise lines are notorious for bait-and-switching folks with their "low" cabin rates only to double it when you get to checkout.

I think the poster was making comment on the fact that for singles it was reflecting differently.

It's not transparency when you don't know how much you're being charged for each item, just one total price. Do you get just one bottom line price for everything in your cart at the grocery store, or do you get to see what each item costs?

JMHO

9 hours ago, notscb said:

Ditto

Maybe I'm stupid or slow or lazy.....but I prefer the new system.  Since all cruise lines are doing this, it's just so much easier to see the bottom line, without going thru all those steps to the final bill.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Ditto

Maybe I'm stupid or slow or lazy.....but I prefer the new system.  Since all cruise lines are doing this, it's just so much easier to see the bottom line, without going thru all those steps to the final bill.

Agree (on the bottom line part, not the stupid, slow or lazy…😀)

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pyrate13 said:

Fine for those that like it, not so much for those that don't. oh well.

the bottom line is one state forced all of us to change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by jimbo5544

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

the bottom line is one state forced all of us to change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's not quite correct. This is also in response to new laws in the EU as well. Clearly a bunch of folks thought it was an issue.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

It's not transparency when you don't know how much you're being charged for each item, just one total price.

Does it not break it down at checkout so you can see it in an itemized way? I think it does. Nobody is hiding the itemized cost, they're just required to show the true cost upfront. IMHO, it saves a ton of time in researching which sailing I'd like to take.

Edited by notscb
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, notscb said:

Does it not break it down at checkout so you can see it in an itemized way? I think it does. Nobody is hiding the itemized cost, they're just required to show the true cost upfront. IMHO, it saves a ton of time in researching which sailing I'd like to take.

No it doesn't.  It only breaks it down after booking.  Before this change, you didn't have to put any money down to know all of the individual charges.  The final price was already shown in the top right corner of the page before going past the cabin selection page.  All you had to do was click on the arrow to see a drop down with the fare per person and the taxes and fees per person.  Now it is just one figure with no breakdown whatsoever.

Edited by Tiger0613

1 hour ago, Tiger0613 said:

only breaks it down after booking.

If you go make a mock booking, on the last page you can hit "show details", is there something missing from that that you'd like to see included?

I've attached a mock booking I just did to show what the mobile site shows.

Screenshot_20240721_181521_Firefox.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, notscb said:

That's not quite correct. This is also in response to new laws in the EU as well. Clearly a bunch of folks thought it was an issue.

Did we annex Europe?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Did we annex Europe?

No, but it might be required to comply if selling US-based cruises to Europeans located in Europe when making the booking, and therefore just make the change for all transactions.  I don't know, just suggesting why they made it a universal thing.

On 7/21/2024 at 7:35 AM, Pyrate13 said:

It's not transparency when you don't know how much you're being charged for each item, just one total price. Do you get just one bottom line price for everything in your cart at the grocery store, or do you get to see what each item costs?

JMHO

You pick what goes in your cart at the grocery store, and can take stuff out you don't want to pay for.  You don't get deselect port charges or whatever other fees that may apply.

I do assume that auto-grats are not included in the new "up front pricing" model.

And as @notscb noted, you can see the details prior to finalizing the booking.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 12:55 PM, maxandmolly said:

Why would it affect bookings?  The price is the same in the end. 

Dairy Queen failed at selling a 1/3 pound burger, because people thought a 1/4 pound burger was bigger.

About 60% of prices end in .99 - because people legitimately subconsciously believe that $3.99 is $3 and $4 is $4.

On 7/21/2024 at 7:35 AM, Pyrate13 said:

JMHO

Well... I guess it's a good things this law in no way prevents you from seeing the price of each line item, and Carnival still shows you the entire breakdown.

The only difference is the upfront listed price. You still get to see all the itemized costs.

16 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Did we annex Europe?

No, businesses just CHOOSE to meet their regulations to maximize profit... and choose to apply it to their entire market to maximize profits.

Carnival could just not do business in Europe/California.

Carnival could just apply the Europe/California regulations to Europe/California purchasers.

... but Carnival has chosen to stay in those markets, and comply with the regulations worldwide. Why? Because in their estimation, that is what maximizes their profit.

• Like 1